Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

22 that played yesterday plus TDK OBrien Plowman Cripps McGovern Willo(sub) Oscar
Dow (sub) Fogarty have all been picked thus far

From the 5 games can we tell who is in our best squad of 23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:17 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Need to add Stocker, Cunningham, McGovern, Honey, Carroll

Would force out: Newnes, Newman, Parks, Setterfield, Owies

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:02 am 
Ken Hunter

Ill play Frankie;

Docherty Young McGovern
Williams Weitering Saad
Hewett Cripps Setterfield
Martin Curnow Fisher
Silvagni McKay Durdin
Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Cerra Owies Newman O’Brien

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
22 that played yesterday plus TDK OBrien Plowman Cripps McGovern Willo(sub) Oscar
Dow (sub) Fogarty have all been picked thus far

From the 5 games can we tell who is in our best squad of 23

Interesting debate frank.

"Clean slate for everyone" implies, for me, Voss wants to find out who his best 23 will be over the year, not just after the first 5 rounds. Just as he did over preseason to determine his starting 23 in round 1, he will trial players fighting for a spot in the 23, to create competition for spots and hopefully bring out the best in his list; keep them on their toes and uncomfortable with complacency.

I don't think we can pick the best 23 until we see the likes of mature class players like Marchbank and Cuningham, even forgotten man Ed Curnow (but he's got age and injury going against him)

Form and Fitness will be the final judge on selections for best 23.

I think players like Setterfield, LOB, Newnes and Cottrell are on trial for the wing.
Their success is debatable but they look like the best wingmen available if Walsh and Cerra not in the frame for now.

There's also players who have been earmarked by the new coaches to play senior footy this year: Stocker, Carroll, Philp, Motlop, Honey and Kemp.

IMO, players who have been given a go but are definitely peripheral to our needs ie depth players are Williamson, LOB, Plowman, Boyd, and wont be best 23 come years end.

Young and McDonald will fight it out for one KPD role if McDonald finds fitness again and Young can't make the 3rd tall defender his spot.

DeKoning will be selected for best 23 in the Finals, imo, assuming he continues to develop in the right direction in the next 18 weeks. 1 ruck in Finals leaves our team too vulnerable in do or die matches.

I believe Marchbank will be selected when fit, and in form, such is his class, just as Docherty was (when most supporters had written him off). Ditto Stocker.

Debatable Ins highlighted. But I wont budge on 2 rucks in Finals.

B: Stocker McDonald Marchbank
HB: Saad Weitering Williams

C: Docherty Hewett Cerra
R: Pittonet Cripps Walsh

HF: Honey Curnow Martin
F: Silvagni McKay Durdin

IC: DeKoning McGovern Kennedy Fisher
23 Cuningham

Most vulnerable imo are Martin, Fisher Kennedy and Cuningham. Martin has another 17 weeks to get Finals fit and rotate through the midfield, as will Fisher and Cuningham.

I expect Motlop, Philp and Dow to push for a spot and will go past LOB and Setterfield by round 23.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:

23 Cuningham

Most vulnerable imo are Martin, Fisher Kennedy and Cuningham. Martin has another 17 weeks to get Finals fit and rotate through the midfield, as will Fisher and Cuningham.

I expect Motlop, Philp and Dow to push for a spot and will go past LOB and Setterfield by round 23.

I think you've almost nailed it Bondi.
But I don't share your faith in Honey. Owies has been very good and plays an underrated role in the team.
Until Honey can stay healthy and maintain consistency, he's behind Owies, Motlop, Cuningham and probably Philp or Dow IMHO.
Our bench has predominantly been 1 mid (Kennedy), 1 defender, 1 forward and 1 wing over the past few weeks. Unless that changes, that will be the structure I'd expect to see. The way you have it set up looks pretty close to me. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

23 Cuningham

I think you've almost nailed it Bondi.
But I don't share your faith in Honey. Owies has been very good and plays an underrated role in the team.
Until Honey can stay healthy and maintain consistency, he's behind Owies, Motlop, Cuningham and probably Philp or Dow IMHO.
Our bench has predominantly been 1 mid (Kennedy), 1 defender, 1 forward and 1 wing over the past few weeks. Unless that changes, that will be the structure I'd expect to see. The way you have it set up looks pretty close to me. :thumbsup:

There is no definites for our best 23 for season 2022, at this time of the year.

I'm relieved and appreciative of the wins we've had this year. Every win is 4 pts and we need 8-9 more wins from the next 17. I'm focussed on Finals footy and I can't help Honey is made for Finals footy. Hard body, hard tackler, strong core, quick and can kick straight from 50.

With Honey we are looking at a player who has been injured thus far in 2022. I have not forgotten what this kid bought to the team in the 5 games he played last year. Having seen his best and all those you mention ahead of him, Honey is still ahead for me IF, like Cuningham can return fit and in form. He's on the radar, like the others.

Frankie did ask what we thought from what we've seen in the 5 games this year. None of Marchbank, Stocker, Honey and Cuningham have seen AFL action this year. Out of respect to Frank and his thread I think the following thus far from the 5 games:

B: Docherty McDonald McGovern

C: Setterfield Hewett Cerra

HF: Kennedy Curnow Martin

IC: DeKoning Young Fisher LOB Newman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

That’s better Bondi. :razz:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 am 
Rod Ashman

If we’re to go anywhere we need a couple of players to go from c grade to b+/a. I’m fast losing faith in guys like Fisher and Setterfield making a significant difference

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:47 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
If we’re to go anywhere we need a couple of players to go from c grade to b+/a. I’m fast losing faith in guys like Fisher and Setterfield making a significant difference

They didn't in the past 5 years, and they aren't this year.
I was one of those supporters who backed them to find consistency and put it all together.

They should be made to work their way into the team.

Unfortunately many of our C grade players haven't moved to the B Grade, let alone A grade.

Durdin looked like a revelation, but his balloon too has bust and needs pumping up, but I prefer him to Owies and Fisher.
I am hoping our first year player, 19yo Motlop replaces them and shows something: not a fair expectation of him.

McGovern has looked like having a breakthrough year, and he's done a hammy after only 2 games. Pitto has stepped up and injured. FMD.

All our up and coming players have had an injury interupted season: Carroll, Honey, Philp, Kemp.

Voss has to address the Transition game and stop selecting players who do nothing week in week out, namely Fisher and Setterfield, who are following the same path SPS travelled.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:58 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

They didn't in the past 5 years, and they aren't this year.
I was one of those supporters who backed them to find consistency and put it all together.

They should be made to work their way into the team.

Unfortunately many of our C grade players haven't moved to the B Grade, let alone A grade.

Durdin looked like a revelation, but his balloon too has bust and needs pumping up, but I prefer him to Owies and Fisher.
I am hoping our first year player, 19yo Motlop replaces them and shows something: not a fair expectation of him.

McGovern has looked like having a breakthrough year, and he's done a hammy after only 2 games. Pitto has stepped up and injured. FMD.

All our up and coming players have had an injury interupted season: Carroll, Honey, Philp, Kemp.

Voss has to address the Transition game and stop selecting players who do nothing week in week out, namely Fisher and Setterfield, who are following the same path SPS travelled.

Someone at the club has a lot to answer for. Why do we only ever seem to get one player (2015 draft being the exception) that has a significant impact on the side.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:02 am 
Bruce Doull

Fair points but let's try not to get too negative.

Lost by 35 points in Perth to the team that's 2nd on the ladder, minus our first ruck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:06 am 
Geoff Southby

DesEnglish wrote:

Someone at the club has a lot to answer for. Why do we only ever seem to get one player (2015 draft being the exception) that has a significant impact on the side.

I think you'll find a lot of it has been ladder position and lack of development/competition for spots.
As we getter better we will get more players wanting to move to the club and hopefully we won't have to sell the house anymore to get them.
Cerra and Hewett have been relatively affordable additions to the side and if Motlop steps up, they are some handy additions this year.
And then once we stop trading for experienced A grade talent we can then go back to the draft properly to get the next generation players with greater success.
Just like the other successful clubs, we will also get good fringe players for virtually nothing and make them look like stars because they have defined roles in the team.
In my view it was always going to be this way until we moved up the ladder, it makes a huge difference.
But for once, we are closer than we were which is great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:24 am 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

I think you'll find a lot of it has been ladder position and lack of development/competition for spots.
As we getter better we will get more players wanting to move to the club and hopefully we won't have to sell the house anymore to get them.
Cerra and Hewett have been relatively affordable additions to the side and if Motlop steps up, they are some handy additions this year.
And then once we stop trading for experienced A grade talent we can then go back to the draft properly to get the next generation players with greater success.
Just like the other successful clubs, we will also get good fringe players for virtually nothing and make them look like stars because they have defined roles in the team.
In my view it was always going to be this way until we moved up the ladder, it makes a huge difference.

Yes it is a painfully slow process to get up the ladder. I still see this year as purely development as Voss implements changes to a basic game plan. As a lot of comments on here suggest, defensively we still have a long way to go to match the top sides

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:28 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

Lost by 35 points in Perth to the team that's 2nd on the ladder, minus our first ruck.

... along with 5 bullshit shots at goal that went through ... it was their ground, their crowd, their day

We had a chance to win it, and not enough put their hand up...again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:28 am 
Harry Vallence

I think we are a long way off our best side. I hope to see many changes by the end of the year. Based on talent I hope to see

Stocker McDonald McGovern
Docherty Weitering Saad
Williams Cripps Carroll
Motlop McKay Durdin
Martin Charlie Silvagni
Pittonet Hewett Walsh
Cerra Kennedy TDK Kemp

The fact I can't fit in Newman Fisher Owies Young Honey Marchbank Cuningham Boyd Setterfield O'Brien Dow is what is exciting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:51 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:

Did you get dropped on your head as a child?
Logical posts like that wont get you very far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:59 am 
Geoff Southby

carntheblues wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

Yes it is a painfully slow process to get up the ladder. I still see this year as purely development as Voss implements changes to a basic game plan. As a lot of comments on here suggest, defensively we still have a long way to go to match the top sides

Yeah I agree, our defence lacks continuity at the moment and the endlessly injured players we have doesn't help the structure.
A good run with no injury to our key talls will see our form change down back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Did you get dropped on your head as a child?
Logical posts like that wont get you very far.

I did yes......Matt Owies is my dad

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:10 am 
Craig Bradley

According to article on ESPN Blues have used 36 players this year equal to the dogs which is equal second highest from West Coast at 43

Makes the performance in the first 9 rounds even more meritorious

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

frank dardew wrote:
According to article on ESPN Blues have used 36 players this year equal to the dogs which is equal second highest from West Coast at 43

Makes the performance in the first 9 rounds even more meritorious

We also have only had 6 players who have played every game this year.