Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Injury Thread 2022
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
What rubbish.

Ruck is arguably the most important position in the game now with the 6 6 6 rule.

Only have to watch the first few games this year to how important it was to us

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
What rubbish.

Ruck is arguably the most important position in the game now with the 6 6 6 rule.

Only have to watch the first few games this year to how important it was to us

It always has been .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:11 pm 
formerly Fevola

Its no wonder why we are not that strong in the midfield now as i think TDK is tiring. We should have addressed this in the midseason instead of taking Hayes. Even just to give TDK and JSOS a break for goodness sakes. The midseason draft is for this reason and not necessarily to get a player that will be on our list forever.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
muzza wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Look going into 2022 losing Casboult and not drafting another ruck and having Mirkov not ready was dumb

We have Mirkov, Pittonet and TDK. You want a 4th ruck? How many lists have 4 ruckmen? None I'd suggest.
It's overkill and unbalances the list. We had O'Mac and Young as back ups. It's just a shit year for our talls, but we still have adequate replacements. TDK is developing and JSOS is serviceable.
I loved Casboult for his determination and service to the club but his time was up as a Carlton player.

I see TDK as a second ruck/fwd. Mirkov is being developed so is almost like having a rookie. I would have had another mature ruckman on our list and hope we do for next year or so as Mirkov develops. Having a mature ruck available each week is extremely valuable

Yep, I cringe every time TDK goes up at centre bounce...even when we had Pitto available. I see TDK as such a valuable asset as pinch hit in the ruck and rest/play forward.
Much more of this 1st ruck stuff and we will grind him, and his body, down to a much lesser version of himself. We did it with Kreuzer too.

Ruck is such and injurious position and you have seen what it does to athletic men (read Nic Nat). Imagine Nic Nat without the injuries as pinch hit ruck now.

Sorry, I know you're not the only one to hold that opinion, and that's cool, but I can't buy that theory.

In 2010 when Kreuzer did his knee he was not only a great kick at goals, I had never heard anyone suggest he shouldn't be playing, or that he didn't belong in the seniors. He polled well in the club BnF, and was a great kick for goal. His football went downhill, along with his kicking after the ACL.

When he returned in 2011 he was well down on the player he was and that's when the blame by some was put on the club. The club didnt cause the ACL: footy did.

IMO its a Fallacy to suggest the club ruined Kreuzer.

mmmm, sending him off to get his hip bones shaved so that he did not have hip problems down the track is a bit of a red flag from a club perspective. Any surgery on currently functioning body parts is not ideal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
muzza wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Look going into 2022 losing Casboult and not drafting another ruck and having Mirkov not ready was dumb

We have Mirkov, Pittonet and TDK. You want a 4th ruck? How many lists have 4 ruckmen? None I'd suggest.
It's overkill and unbalances the list. We had O'Mac and Young as back ups. It's just a shit year for our talls, but we still have adequate replacements. TDK is developing and JSOS is serviceable.
I loved Casboult for his determination and service to the club but his time was up as a Carlton player.

I see TDK as a second ruck/fwd. Mirkov is being developed so is almost like having a rookie. I would have had another mature ruckman on our list and hope we do for next year or so as Mirkov develops. Having a mature ruck available each week is extremely valuable

Yep, I cringe every time TDK goes up at centre bounce...even when we had Pitto available. I see TDK as such a valuable asset as pinch hit in the ruck and rest/play forward.
Much more of this 1st ruck stuff and we will grind him, and his body, down to a much lesser version of himself. We did it with Kreuzer too.

Ruck is such and injurious position and you have seen what it does to athletic men (read Nic Nat). Imagine Nic Nat without the injuries as pinch hit ruck now.

Sorry, I know you're not the only one to hold that opinion, and that's cool, but I can't buy that theory.

In 2010 when Kreuzer did his knee he was not only a great kick at goals, I had never heard anyone suggest he shouldn't be playing, or that he didn't belong in the seniors. He polled well in the club BnF, and was a great kick for goal. His football went downhill, along with his kicking after the ACL.

When he returned in 2011 he was well down on the player he was and that's when the blame by some was put on the club. The club didnt cause the ACL: footy did.

IMO its a Fallacy to suggest the club ruined Kreuzer.

His ACL was Bret Thornton’s fault, if Kreuzer wasn’t having to run back to go into that pack to effect the spoil on the opponent that Thornton had left - then he would never have done his ACL, well at least at that particular instant.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:19 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Drewgirl wrote:
Its no wonder why we are not that strong in the midfield now as i think TDK is tiring. We should have addressed this in the midseason instead of taking Hayes. Even just to give TDK and JSOS a break for goodness sakes. The midseason draft is for this reason and not necessarily to get a player that will be on our list forever.

100% spot on. Nothing against Hayes but we have adequate cover in his position. We don't have any cover in the ruck position. TDK goes down and we are beyond screwed. More screwed than if another key defender goes down. Thankfully it looks like Pitto's return is imminent so we may just get through on this one but it was a massive roll of the dice.
No other club would have taken Hayes. If we were still keen on him at the end of the season, could have taken with a late draft pick or rookie pick.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

100% spot on. Nothing against Hayes but we have adequate cover in his position. We don't have any cover in the ruck position. TDK goes down and we are beyond screwed. More screwed than if another key defender goes down. Thankfully it looks like Pitto's return is imminent so we may just get through on this one but it was a massive roll of the dice.
No other club would have taken Hayes. If we were still keen on him at the end of the season, could have taken with a late draft pick or rookie pick.

I don’t want to say something just in case I say something but with the way our injury curse has been running this year, you know what is going to happen the moment that Pittonet returns.

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:27 pm 
Robert Walls

Drewgirl wrote:

Is he tiring though?

He has had his 3 highest hitout totals for the season over the last 4 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

Mil Hanna wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

Is he tiring though?

Straight into the opposition bread basket, with bugger all follow up. When he does get one to advantage, it’s nullified by his direct opponent laying a tackle or mitigated with a pressure act against the clearance.

Nankervis - 21 PA, 5 T
Sauce - 11 PA, 9 T
Cameron - 8 PA, 6 T

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:10 pm 
Robert Walls

Crusader wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

Is he tiring though?

Straight into the opposition bread basket, with bugger all follow up. When he does get one to advantage, it’s nullified by his direct opponent laying a tackle or mitigated with a pressure act against the clearance.

Nankervis - 21 PA, 5 T
Sauce - 11 PA, 9 T
Cameron - 8 PA, 6 T

I didn't say they were all effective hitouts, just questioned whether he was tiring.

To me it looks like our midfielders are not positioning themselves well enough or moving as quickly at the centre bounces. It's likely that it is a combination of both, but you can hardly point the finger solely at TDK for our drop off in centre clearances.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

Tick :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

I don’t want to say something just in case I say something but with the way our injury curse has been running this year, you know what is going to happen the moment that Pittonet returns.

:roll:

WE win every game for the rest of the year, because Weiters would be back too, and Cerra.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mil Hanna wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

Is he tiring though?

Nankervis - 21 PA, 5 T
Sauce - 11 PA, 9 T
Cameron - 8 PA, 6 T

I didn't say they were all effective hitouts, just questioned whether he was tiring.

To me it looks like our midfielders are not positioning themselves well enough or moving as quickly at the centre bounces. It's likely that it is a combination of both, but you can hardly point the finger solely at TDK for our drop off in centre clearances.

Maybe the midfielders haven't been holding their ground.
Either giving away front position, or getting easily pushed in close to the ruckmen, effectively getting squeezed out from drop of ball.

Post subject: Injury Thread 2022
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cunningham Pitto Gov Cerra Weiters and ED Curnow all on the training track today

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

deano35 wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I’m told Weitering & Pittonet are training with main group and could be back next week. Fingers crossed

Great news FB.
Have you heard anything about Cunningham???

He’s three weeks away from playing… his knee is fully recovered

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Mirkov, if he gets there, is a long-way off from being able to play at a senior level - that’s the opinion of one of his teammates. That being the case, effectively only 2 rucks on the list, and both were being played at the same time….

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

As listed on their own websites

Collingwood - Begg Grundy Cox & Cameron
Essendon** - Draper Phillips Wright Bryan
Fremantle - Darcy Lobbe Meek Benning
Geelong - Stanley Conway Ceglar Ratugolea Neale Blicavs
Suns - Chol Casboult Witts Moyle Conroy
Hawks - McEvoy Reeves Lynch Ramsden
North - Goldstein Xerri CCJ Edwards
Richmond - Nankervis Soldo Ryan Colina
St Kilda - Marshall Ryder Hayes Adams Campbell Heath
Sydney - Naismith Hickey Sinclair Ladhams McAndrew
WCE - NicNat B.Williams J.Williams Jamieson Strnadica

Clubs like Port who have three are now having to use stop gaps like Finlayson to do their ruckwork
Melbourne with just one injury (Gawn) now have Jackson the ruck supported by Weideman or Brown?
Bulldogs have English Street Martin and another if you count Darcy, Schache or Cordy as rucks (they have all played there)

We have Pittonet TDK & Mirkov. Jack does a great job but is a fill in/back up. Mirkov could fill in for a game or two but certainly wouldn't last a season. TDK still developing and I feel he is more Fwd/2nd Ruck. If TDK went down at the moment we would be in real trouble

Personally, I would want a Goldstein or a Sinclair as mature depth (would also be cheap) and part of development, and a player like a Ballenden who can play Ruck & any KP. I look at our reserves every week and we really lack size

On their websites?
I just looked at the Gold Coast website. 3 rucks. Chol and Casboults are forwards.
I looked at Richmonds. Ryan is listed as a KPP. They have 3 rucks.
I won't bother checking the rest because your list is obviously wrong.
But if you have to manipulate "facts" to prove a point, why bother? :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

How is it manipulation just because it doesn't match the website? We all know Chol and Casboult can play ruck, it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise. I'm not going to visit the GCS site but I know from experience that the CFC player pages used to be full of outdated bios.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

If [other]/Ruck doesn’t count, then we’ve only got one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

As listed on their own websites

Collingwood - Begg Grundy Cox & Cameron
Essendon*** - Draper Phillips Wright Bryan
Fremantle - Darcy Lobbe Meek Benning
Geelong - Stanley Conway Ceglar Ratugolea Neale Blicavs
Suns - Chol Casboult Witts Moyle Conroy
Hawks - McEvoy Reeves Lynch Ramsden
North - Goldstein Xerri CCJ Edwards
Richmond - Nankervis Soldo Ryan Colina
St Kilda - Marshall Ryder Hayes Adams Campbell Heath
Sydney - Naismith Hickey Sinclair Ladhams McAndrew
WCE - NicNat B.Williams J.Williams Jamieson Strnadica

Clubs like Port who have three are now having to use stop gaps like Finlayson to do their ruckwork
Melbourne with just one injury (Gawn) now have Jackson the ruck supported by Weideman or Brown?
Bulldogs have English Street Martin and another if you count Darcy, Schache or Cordy as rucks (they have all played there)

We have Pittonet TDK & Mirkov. Jack does a great job but is a fill in/back up. Mirkov could fill in for a game or two but certainly wouldn't last a season. TDK still developing and I feel he is more Fwd/2nd Ruck. If TDK went down at the moment we would be in real trouble

Personally, I would want a Goldstein or a Sinclair as mature depth (would also be cheap) and part of development, and a player like a Ballenden who can play Ruck & any KP. I look at our reserves every week and we really lack size

On their websites?
I just looked at the Gold Coast website. 3 rucks. Chol and Casboults are forwards.
I looked at Richmonds. Ryan is listed as a KPP. They have 3 rucks.
I won't bother checking the rest because your list is obviously wrong.
But if you have to manipulate "facts" to prove a point, why bother? :?

Quote:
Mabior Chol
#1 Gold Coast Suns
Age: 25yr 4mth Games: 44 Born: January 29, 1997 Origin: Aspley
Height: 200cm Weight: 96kg Position: Forward, Ruck

Quote:
Season 2022 Totals/Averages
GM K HB D M G GA B T HO FF FA CL CG I50 R50 AF * SC *
Total 13 78 28 106 35 27 6 11 20 72 17 17 14 32 17 2 686 959
Average 13 6.0 2.1 8.2 2.7 2.1 0.5 0.8 1.5 5.5 1.3 1.3 1.1 2.5 1.3 0.1 52.8 73.8

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--mabior-chol

Just because Chol has a Title of forward on a website, doesn't mean he's not a ruck. In fact, Ive seen him ruck this year. Have a look at his stats for this year. Looks like a ruck, plays the ruck, hits the ball in a ruck contest like a ruck, smells like a ruck, therefore he must be a duck. :wink: Come on BV.

I'm not trying to pick a fight but I think you're a being a bit rough on Farmer's research, and being selective yourself to 'manipulate' your point.

You decided to pick on lines 5 and 8 on FB's table of 11 lines/ teams, and dismiss the rest as "obviously" wrong, despite examples of 4 rucks and Suns players playing dual roles with body types to suit the role of ruck.

Here's the point, without being pedantic with definition, I'd rather have the 200cm Levi do the ruckwork than 194cm Jack Silvagni for obvious reasons, and Levi does do ruck duties aplomb because he is a ruck. I've seen Levi take the centre square bounces as a ruckman. Harry McKay on the other hand is 203cm and isn't played as a ruck, apart from a few cameos in the forward line, since TDK had to take on the ruck duties solo, I haven't seen Harry in the centre square.

Based on your definitions, and I'm guessing your definition, Carlton has 1 ruck (Pittonet), 1 Forward/ ruck (TDK) and 1 developing ruck (Mikov). So if one ruck is injured (Pittonet), we have no bonafide ruck and have to rely on 2nd ruck/ forward for ruck duites as No. 1 ruckman, and to support TDK in the ruck we pinch Peter from forwardline (Jack Silvagni), or our main contested bull (Cripps) to Pay Paul. This is not an ideal situation for us, and we are hurting every week because of it.

Not sure I see the consistency.

Anyway, I believe we should have 4 rucks (2 bonafide developed bodies, and 2 developing), and have explained the virtues of 4 rucks, and FarmerB has explained his reasoning, but you have decided 4 rucks creates an unbalanced list, and I don't know how you came to that conclusion. You just have to have a look at our current situation to know we are suffering from an unbalanced list with only one developed ruckman on our list and the other 2 rucks are developing.

Please note we were playing 2 rucks all year till Pitto got injured, and haven't replaced Pitto with the 3rd, who, lets face it, is a project ruckman who was an ex volleyball player...and if you promote Mirkov to the seniors, not only is he underdeveloped and may be a liability (hence non selection), the cupboard is bare in the reserves with 196cm Glass-McAsker doing the ruck duties.

Enlighten me.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 51  Next