Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: John Elliott - RIP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

If he’d walked away in the mid-90s he would be a revered figure at Carlton. Instead, he hung on too long and he became a laughing stock and, to an extent, so did we in the process.

He put in a lot of time and energy for the club, and was terrific for us for about a decade. Unfortunately, he undid a lot of that good work in the last 7 years or so of his reign.

So I have mixed feelings about him, to be honest.

Condolences to his family. RIP John.
:beer:

Post subject: John Elliott - RIP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
If he’d walked away in the mid-90s he would be a revered figure at Carlton. Instead, he hung on too long and he became a laughing stock and, to an extent, so did we in the process.

He put in a lot of time and energy for the club, and was terrific for us for about a decade. Unfortunately, he undid a lot of that good work in the last 7 years or so of his reign.

Summed it up better than I ever could :thumbsup:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:14 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Donstuie wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Thanks for completing what I was about to say....anyway, RIP J D Elliott.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:30 pm 
Bert Deacon

Donstuie wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

:thanks: X2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

Jack was a passionate Carlton man. He always had a great sense of humour. RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

RIP to a true Blue.

I can't dislike the guy despite his shortfalls at the very end.

I know he would have fought tooth and nail to stop Demetriou and Evans having their way with Carlton, but he never got the chance.

He was the best President in the comp during the late 80's and revered as a President in the 90's by everyone.

Sad how it ended.

Not a good time for funerals in Melbourne with covid restrictions. Bummer.

Loved the story london blue :thumbsup: look forward to the uncensored version.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:33 am 
Stephen Silvagni

RIP to a true blue.

He had to go, but I hated Collins and co campaigning the way they did. They had no vision other than to kick JE out.
Then they sold us out to play at Docklands and let the AFL dictate everything to us.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:01 am 
Geoff Southby

Great then partially destroyed the club
An arrogant individual who was outdated long before they took his name off the grandstand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 am 
Stephen Silvagni

keogh wrote:
Great then partially destroyed the club
An arrogant individual who was outdated long before they took his name off the grandstand

Arrogance is required in that role

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:26 am 
Harry Vallence

I was at the urinal in the Carlton change rooms toilet circa 1986 after a home match when John Elliott came to stand next to me. I'll always remember him saying, "Ah, great win wasn't it!"

Condolences to John Elliott's family.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:18 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I guess this means the curse is done?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 am 
Ken Hunter

Heavs wrote:

:eek: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 am 
John Nicholls

Heavs wrote:

Ironically on the day we appointed a new coach and after a big broom had gone through the clubs board and administration.

We will see.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:46 am 
Ken Hunter

Neil Mitchell on 3AW suggesting this morning the Elliot's name go back on the stand.

Why is it that after a person dies all their past sins, selfishness and gross misdeeds should be forgotten and forgiven. I don't get that. Why sweep stuff under the carpet and pretend it didn't happen. It happened. It's not Fake News.

I get the stories that Elliot loved the club. I'm sure they are all true. But if that is true why did he single handedly bring it to it's knees with the 'Brown Paper Bag Affair' and his lust for more and more power.

I don't want to speak ill of the dead but let's call a spade a #$%^ shovel. Elliot's selfish, megalomaniac actions as President of the Carlton Football club ultimately sewed the seed for close to a generation of failure.

He may well have been a great bloke, funny, gregarious, generous, a larrikin, a fine businessman and great father. But I only know him as the guy that cast a black cloud over the Club I support and bought it to the brink of handing back the keys to the AFL in 2002.

If Ian Collins had not come to the rescue I doubt Michael Voss would have had a club to Coach today.

For those that loved and admired Elliot, commiserations on your loss. Just please don't start to re-write history. I was there.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Cazzesman wrote:
Neil Mitchell on 3AW suggesting this morning the Elliot's name go back on the stand.

Why is it that after a person dies all their past sins, selfishness and gross misdeeds should be forgotten and forgiven. I don't get that. Why sweep stuff under the carpet and pretend it didn't happen. It happened. It's not Fake News.

I get the stories that Elliot loved the club. I'm sure they are all true. But if that is true why did he single handedly bring it to it's knees with the 'Brown Paper Bag Affair' and his lust for more and more power.

I don't want to speak ill of the dead but let's call a spade a #$%^ shovel. Elliot's selfish, megalomaniac actions as President of the Carlton Football club ultimately sewed the seed for close to a generation of failure.

He may well have been a great bloke, funny, gregarious, generous, a larrikin, a fine businessman and great father. But I only know him as the guy that cast a black cloud over the Club I support and bought it to the brink of handing back the keys to the AFL in 2002.

If Ian Collins had not come to the rescue I doubt Michael Voss would have had a club to Coach today.

For those that loved and admired Elliot, commiserations on your loss. Just please don't start to re-write history. I was there.

Regards Cazzesman

Look up about 8 posts.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:50 am 
Rod Ashman

Perhaps John’s last moment of passion was to pass (the baton) on the same day the new Carlton was introduced to the world

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am 
Ken Hunter

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

So, so, so good RSG. Nail/Head.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:56 am 
Wayne Johnston

Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t every club handing out paper bags and we were just unlucky as being the club picked to be made an example of?

If it was the scum who were first singled out and Elliot cleaned up his act like the other clubs did after the fact then we all wouldn’t be questioning his legacy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:56 am 
Ken Hunter

robertbb wrote:
Heavs wrote:

Ironically on the day we appointed a new coach and after a big broom had gone through the clubs board and administration.

We will see.......

I thought this too. I may just have new coach glasses on but it kinda feels like the door has finally closed on that period.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next