Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:29 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Crusader wrote:
keogh wrote:
Voss and co need to come up with new ruck formula with SOJ out

Jack wasn’t going to play ruck this year.

He was critical in our finals campaign eh

How is that, if you're serious?

Just calling out Keoghs comment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Keogh gonna Keogh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

I doubt the delay is on salary. I would hope $1 million is more than enough!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

He's re-signing? Does Tim Webster know?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:01 am 
formerly Fevola

Apparently there is a pay disparity so they are working it out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:39 am 
Ken Hunter

Worth a read.

https://houseoffooty.com.au/tough-selfl ... t-in-2024/

Some quotes that I found interesting.

“We’ve had 3 coaches (since Buckley left), a lot of different guys in roles, but I think the main thing that’s changed is the environment and culture,” McKay said.

“When I was first at the club, it was nearly not cool to enjoy footy. I remember in my first year as well, I was always big on doing extra touch and stuff… people would take the piss nearly, because you were trying to do something a bit abnormal and get the best out of yourself.”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:16 pm 
Serge Silvagni

SurreyBlue wrote:
Worth a read.

“We’ve had 3 coaches (since Buckley left), a lot of different guys in roles, but I think the main thing that’s changed is the environment and culture,” McKay said.

“When I was first at the club, it was nearly not cool to enjoy footy. I remember in my first year as well, I was always big on doing extra touch and stuff… people would take the piss nearly, because you were trying to do something a bit abnormal and get the best out of yourself.”

That article perfectly shows how disfunctional the club has been in the past

Than I used to, my love

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

A case of the tail wagging the dog.

I hope I never see the club in such a state ever again.

I doubt Voss wants to leave, nor will he.

Glad it will be resolved and they are working through the numbers.

If we leave it till the end of the year, there will be talk in the media, and when we make the GF and win the flag, Vossy will be more expensive then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:19 am 
Bruce Doull

Terrific….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
Worth a read.

In a professional environment those comments are incredibly concerning.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

It's no coincidence that success follows a good culture and strong leaders. I recall attending a sponsors event in the 2000's (maybe 2006?)
The club was on its knees after the salary cap scandal. Sponsors had deserted the club and they were desperate for any support. It was mainly Carlton supporting businesses or football ingrained companies that signed up or those looking for a cheap deal. My business was a relatively small associate sponsor but I recall being asked to attend numerous sponsors functions just so they would have some people in the room.
I recall going to some where there was maybe 10 people there. We were a basket case.
Companies like KS Freighters, Subaru signed up and good Carlton people like MC Labour stepped up and helped bail us out.

Anyway, I attended a sponsors function at Subaru. It was in Port Melbourne from memory. The clubs few sponsors were there, the admin and coaches were running around making everyone feel welcome. I remember the playing group turned up, stood in one corner and made it clearly known that they weren't interested in talking, mixing or associating with anyone other than those in their group. I remember one particular "leader" making clearly audible comments that he couldn't wait to get out of the place.

That's the bullshit hubris that carried over from the Elliott era and as Bondi said, the tail wagged the dog. No one at the club appeared to make an effort to rectify it. The players appeared to view themselves as being above the inconvenience. As a person attending to support the club, I was disgusted. Had I not been a rusted on supporter, I would have told them to jam it the next day. It's no surprise the club was a shitfight in the following years. People like Cazzesman viewed the ineptitude and desperation. Had volunteers like him, Jarusa etc etc etc not stepped up, our situation would have been far more desperate.

Fast forward 18 odd years and look at the difference. It's taken us 20 years of 2 steps forward, 3 steps back to get where we are.
And 2 great leaders of the club who finally have everyone pushing in the same direction. No arrogance. No division. Just a common goal. It sounds easy but it can be a lot harder than we think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

Great post BV.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:45 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluechucky wrote:
Great post BV.

Yes , excellent stuff " Vain ". When you are down it is a lot harder to pick yourself up than a lot would realise so don't take it for granted or you will find yourself back there quick smart . Thanks for the timely reminder BlueVain .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

Agreed, thanks for the insight, love it.

Confession: I hate having to do these corporate chinwag functions, so I'd probably be one of those blokes having a beer with his mates and not mixing! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:12 am 
Harry Vallence

Our off season has been almost TOO positive :sly:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

Really? I thought the SOS knee, Weitering out 1-2 weeks and Walsh "out for season but no one wants to say it" had us all riding low?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:28 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
It's no coincidence that success follows a good culture and strong leaders. I recall attending a sponsors event in the 2000's (maybe 2006?)
The club was on its knees after the salary cap scandal. Sponsors had deserted the club and they were desperate for any support. It was mainly Carlton supporting businesses or football ingrained companies that signed up or those looking for a cheap deal. My business was a relatively small associate sponsor but I recall being asked to attend numerous sponsors functions just so they would have some people in the room.
I recall going to some where there was maybe 10 people there. We were a basket case.
Companies like KS Freighters, Subaru signed up and good Carlton people like MC Labour stepped up and helped bail us out.

Anyway, I attended a sponsors function at Subaru. It was in Port Melbourne from memory. The clubs few sponsors were there, the admin and coaches were running around making everyone feel welcome. I remember the playing group turned up, stood in one corner and made it clearly known that they weren't interested in talking, mixing or associating with anyone other than those in their group. I remember one particular "leader" making clearly audible comments that he couldn't wait to get out of the place.

That's the bullshit hubris that carried over from the Elliott era and as Bondi said, the tail wagged the dog. No one at the club appeared to make an effort to rectify it. The players appeared to view themselves as being above the inconvenience. As a person attending to support the club, I was disgusted. Had I not been a rusted on supporter, I would have told them to jam it the next day. It's no surprise the club was a shitfight in the following years. People like Cazzesman viewed the ineptitude and desperation. Had volunteers like him, Jarusa etc etc etc not stepped up, our situation would have been far more desperate.

Fast forward 18 odd years and look at the difference. It's taken us 20 years of 2 steps forward, 3 steps back to get where we are.
And 2 great leaders of the club who finally have everyone pushing in the same direction. No arrogance. No division. Just a common goal. It sounds easy but it can be a lot harder than we think.

:clap: :clap:
PS...You need look no further than Gale, O'Neal and Hardwick down at Punt Rd...who would've thought 10 years ago they'd have 3 flags in their backpocket over a 4 year period (having Dusty helps I might add :smile: )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

The messiah approach fails in any business
It’s about collaboration
The best thing that happened last year was Craig Mathieson going
He was part of the past as obviously his uncle was as well.
Too many egos who don’t know when to fold them

And backing Voss and not sacking him
It’s about building relationships
You can’t do that by sacking coaches and have one guy running the club his way

BV and I disagree on most things
One thing we did agree on was Voss had to do his 3 years
No sackings which means bringing in more new staff and start all over again and building relationships again
Like The Saints are doing now
Brian Cook as expected has been a fantastic inclusion as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:01 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Blue Vain wrote:

Great post.

I have been banging on that it has taken us 20 years to become a modern club.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110  Next