Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 110  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:09 pm 
John Nicholls

Strong and proud footy club are Port Adelaide. Brilliant system and culture, thanks to Kenny.

Expect a YUGE uplift on our effort and application and that's gonna help us get into positions to win more games of footy.

What I don't yet know is whether we have the tactical nous. Who's the mastermind? Who's the strategist? Gonna need that to challenge for some silverware.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/688409/bulked-up-blues-guns-hit-the-track-voss-confident-on-jones-replacement

I found this bit interesting:

Quote:
On his first official day on the track, Voss left most of the hands-on work to new assistant Ashley Hansen and coaching director Greg Williams

I’m not unhappy about Diesel passing on his wisdom, but I have mixed feelings about a board member swimming in the football department’s lane. I wonder what Cook thinks? He made a passing comment the other day about the blurring of roles between the board and operations - I wonder if this is what he was referring to?

Compared to Judd’s hands off approach I think it will be a refreshing change.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:13 am 
Bruce Doull

I kinda get the reluctance about having a director being hands on. Buuuut, it does provide a good link between footy dept and the board and, so long as the communication around Diesel's input is well defined and understood by those who need to know, it can work, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

camel wrote:
I kinda get the reluctance about having a director being hands on. Buuuut, it does provide a good link between footy dept and the board and, so long as the communication around Diesel's input is well defined and understood by those who need to know, it can work, I think.

If I had to choose, I'd prefer Diesel to be on the park teaching our midfielders more than they ever realised they didn't know!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:04 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Diesel being on the training track as well is nothing but a bonus.

Kids will be chomping at the bit to impress him.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

Love the fact Diesel is getting his hands dirty while also managing the place from the boardroom.
He can’t be any closer to the action and can make all the right calls, if and when needed. Been a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

robertbb wrote:
Strong and proud footy club are Port Adelaide. Brilliant system and culture, thanks to Kenny.

Expect a YUGE uplift on our effort and application and that's gonna help us get into positions to win more games of footy.

What I don't yet know is whether we have the tactical nous. Who's the mastermind? Who's the strategist? Gonna need that to challenge for some silverware.

Ash Hanson has a good reputation there

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:30 am 
Bruce Doull

Quote:
Hi Liam,

I hope you and your family is well and looking forward to a bit of a break at some stage over the coming weeks, ahead of an exciting 2022 for our football club.

I just wanted to touch base with you from our pre-season camp in the Grampians, where we have been based for the last couple of days – to let you know what we have been up to and more importantly, why we are here.

What an outstanding few days it’s been, in the context of coming together as a group and building a powerful bond that we know will continue to strengthen, not just for the upcoming season but for the many after it.

We had one, main goal for this camp – connection.

We’ve actually been off the grid a bit for most of the time up here, (we had to take a 20-minute drive to get enough internet to even send you this email!) so that means no mobile phones, ipads, laptops – it has just been us, spending time together – how good is that.

There’s been plenty of challenges for the players, namely a 40km-plus hike through the hills yesterday, which really tested the group mentally and physically. After nine hours trecking through rugged terrain, the sense of achievement when the players arrived back at camp together was really special.

It has been important to get to know our mates, beyond just football. What makes the person next to you tick? What motivates them? Where have they and their family come from? Their story? Why are they here?

Some may think those questions are irrelevant to playing good football but it is absolutely crucial to what we are building here.

We want to build something that is sustainable, beyond the win-loss roller coaster that a season brings.

A strong culture, built on mates who genuinely care about one another, know how to motivate one another, are comfortable to challenge each other if standards slip, be uncompromising with that and above all, mates who fully understand what it means to wear our guernsey and what it represents for so many people across the country.

That is the connection we are building – with ourselves, our football club and hopefully you, our members – and as that connection starts to strengthen, it will become incredibly powerful.

Hopefully you’ve enjoyed seeing what we’ve been up to across our social media channels, the team has assured me there will be more to share over the next week, so keep an eye out for that.

We’ve got our final team dinner tonight and then spending time together around the campfire before we head home in the morning.

Before I sign off, I just want to wish you and your family a safe and enjoyable holiday and as always, thank you so much for your incredible support.

Go Blues,

Michael Voss
AFL Senior Coach
Member ID: 4913798

Hopefully the start of something very good. :beer:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

With respect, heard it all before.

Actions, not words.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

All very green shootsy

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Actions, not words.

True . But jeez , coming from Voss it sounds good .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:18 am 
Craig Bradley

Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Actions, not words.

Ditto. We’re all a bit jaded from way too many false dawns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:29 am 
John James

From Herald-Sun today

New Carlton coach Michael Voss’ impressive start to second stint as senior coach

Michael Voss has ramped up his efforts to get to know his new Blues on an “intense” camping trip to the Grampians where fireside chats have helped break the ice.
Jay Clark
2 min read
December 14, 2021 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
15 comments
Michael Voss lays down the law at Blues training. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
Michael Voss lays down the law at Blues training. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
AFL News

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL News. Followed categories will be added to My News.

Carlton’s new-look coaching group has spent a four-day camping trip in the Grampians forming stronger bonds with the players ahead of the new season.

The Blues want to hit the ground running under new coach Michael Voss, who will have a bolstered midfield group featuring new recruits Adam Cerra and George Hewett to try to help capitalise on a kind fixture in 2022.

Catch every moment of The Ashes live and ad-break free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

Voss, whose family won’t arrive from South Australia until the new year, has made an impressive start to his second stint as senior coach, helping create a positive atmosphere and bedding down a new game plan after a terrible 2021 for the Blues.
George Hewett adds toughness to the Blues’ midfield. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
George Hewett adds toughness to the Blues’ midfield. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
The Blues midfield will also benefit from the polish of Adam Cerra. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
The Blues midfield will also benefit from the polish of Adam Cerra. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Football boss Brad Lloyd said the daylong hike on Thursday and some fireside chats gave the Blues plenty of opportunity to connect with a new coaching group.

“With Vossy and three new assistant coaches, and the guys we brought in (in the trade period) we really wanted to get everyone together and build those relationships, and connection at the same time as doing the hard work,” Lloyd said.

“There was a huge orienteering-type session where the boys would have covered a lot of ground through the Grampians and some activities on Friday and some cultural activities, and some team dinners.

“So, you come back and it feels like everyone has been around the place a lot longer than they really have, after that more intense period together.

“There was a lot of walking so there was huge opportunity to spend time one-on-one and have those one-on-one conversations at different stages, and the fireside chats at night because we had no power.”
Mitch McGovern looks set to assume the defensive mantle vacated by Liam Jones. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
Mitch McGovern looks set to assume the defensive mantle vacated by Liam Jones. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Voss has replaced David Teague and will attempt to repair the defensive frailties that repeatedly cost Carlton last year, with Mitch McGovern in line to replace departed full back Liam Jones.

Lloyd said Voss and his deputies, including Ashley Hansen, Tim Clarke and Aaron Hamill, had made a strong start.

“Vossy has started really well. He’s huge on the engagement and connection side of things, and he does that very naturally,” he said.

“Right from day one he has been getting to players and getting to know them and understand them outside of footy.

“His family haven’t been able to move over yet, but they will post Christmas.

“So while he has missed them, that has also given him some opportunity to spend more time with the playing group, as well.”

Carlton is in good health as it prepares to start the season against Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn and Gold Coast in the first month.

The only top-six side it plays twice next year is Greater Western Sydney.

Lloyd said only David Cuningham and Caleb Marchbank were not doing the bulk of main training.

“The players have come back in really good condition across the board, so we have had a good period where a number of our senior players voluntarily returned to training earlier than they needed to,” he said.
More Coverage
Thomas flags maligned Blue as Jones replacement
How Pie debacle mended Eddie-Mick rift
Look out! Why big Harry’s wild about Charlie

“So we have been able to have a good lead-in to Christmas and there has been a really good feel about the place.

“There are always some modifications, but broadly the group is really fit, and everyone is up and running.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:44 am 
Bruce Doull

Oh great, Wallsy's pumping us up :lol:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/01/13/ ... ome-early/

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Oh great, Wallsy's pumping us up :lol:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/01/13/ ... ome-early/

Best list for the past 10 years according to Wallsy. He must have forgotten the 10 years prior to that as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

At least Wallsy didn't say it was our worst list in the last 10 years :smoking:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

Where is captain obvious and his disciple when you need them?

Senoro falso - this is a great read.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

Could the situation in Ukraine be part of blueman's prophecy....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:

If they shift it to the Middle East … then yes … lol

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:06 pm 
Craig Bradley

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
CK95 wrote:

If they shift it to the Middle East … then yes … lol

It’s all connected.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 110  Next