Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

Culture ? well , have a yap to Craig Bellamy and Frank Pennisi . .............learn off the best . And Ang Postecoglou ...........everyone's guessing . If you don't know , talk to someone who does know .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:15 pm 
Banned

Yeah I think club culture is the by far the best out there - team culture is horrid and has been ever since Ratts was sacked.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

In my view, the poor culture stems from losing so consistently over 20 years and has become the norm. It is a difficult cycle to break. It would be difficult to arrive at Carlton as a young player and not be affected by the sustained losing culture. Would ultimately break you down mentally and stifle your development as a player. The key is to break that cycle through strong leadership and focussing on culture change. This would include hiring the right people in the footy department and an effective board instigating that culture change that becomes a non negotiable mantra within the club.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think we need as many emotionally intelligent people in positions of leadership as possible. Jacob Weitering seems a good start.

Focus on this on the player recruitment side also

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

WOW wrote:
In my view, the poor culture stems from losing so consistently over 20 years and has become the norm. It is a difficult cycle to break. It would be difficult to arrive at Carlton as a young player and not be affected by the sustained losing culture. Would ultimately break you down mentally and stifle your development as a player. The key is to break that cycle through strong leadership and focussing on culture change. This would include hiring the right people in the footy department and an effective board instigating that culture change that becomes a non negotiable mantra within the club.

:clap:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:29 am 
formerly King Kenny

The Cats I always find a good story. The golden generation were just kids like our mob, took time to develop and mature before they became the Champion team they were.

I use to have drinks at the Eureka back in the day, sometimes have a chat to the players after games. What stood out to me is how much confidence some of them had, Scarlett and Enright always stood out, but then you had King keeping an eye over everyone. Then you had others who we’re just flower, you knew they wouldn’t survive if the culture was to change, and they didn’t.

Add Ling, Selwood, Harley to this team and you can see they just had leaders galore coming through, but had the right senior mentors to guide them until they were ready.

We haven’t had that for a long long time. We now have a good batch coming through, and with some of our senior influences now gone, we may see this new breed assume control and drive the standards to where they should be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
It is not a culture war - It is a football club where the main objective should be to win football games

If you read this

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1002305

You will see the club has implemented a lot of things but is that the objective
You see this a lot in NSW with NRL teams - take Parramatta for instance - They have an amazing Leagues club where they offer all sorts of programs and benefits for their members - they have a state of the art stadium one of the best small stadiums in the country , but Parramatta hasn't won anything since 1986

I suppose it depends on what you want from your football club you support

I don't think this statement tells us anything about where the club's priorities lie. If we had won premierships during MLG's tenure, you can bet that would be top of his list of achievements, in bold underline font. But because we were shit, are shit and will forever more be shit, he trumpets the peripheral achievements.

Going by Sayers letter today it seems obvious to me that he thinks that the focus has been in the wrong area and it should be about on field

Lets hope he is good to his word

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
It is not a culture war - It is a football club where the main objective should be to win football games

If you read this

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1002305

You will see the club has implemented a lot of things but is that the objective
You see this a lot in NSW with NRL teams - take Parramatta for instance - They have an amazing Leagues club where they offer all sorts of programs and benefits for their members - they have a state of the art stadium one of the best small stadiums in the country , but Parramatta hasn't won anything since 1986

I suppose it depends on what you want from your football club you support

I don't think this statement tells us anything about where the club's priorities lie. If we had won premierships during MLG's tenure, you can bet that would be top of his list of achievements, in bold underline font. But because we were shit, are shit and will forever more be shit, he trumpets the peripheral achievements.

Going by Sayers letter today it seems obvious to me that he thinks that the focus has been in the wrong area and it should be about on field

Lets hope he is good to his word

To be fair, the MLG era has left very little left to achieve off-field from a financial standpoint - there's nothing left to focus on but onfield