Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: An all-time low
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

It has been quite some time since I last posted.T o preface things I am a 57 year member for sometime based in Sydney where I fund 9 Memberships.
Today’s game was the most disappointing and depressing game that I have EVER witnessed .The total capitulation was a disgrace even allowing for injuries etc.
I am ashamed to say that despite watching the entire game I could not bring myself to watch the send off for Mark Murphy.To my mind it was tarnished not only by the performance of the Team but by the manner the milestone was reached.
Numerous Club veterans and others who played today should never represent the Club again.How on earth could a coaching group again allow such a disgrace to happen.
Lots of comment has been made re the Coaching situation but my view for what it’s worth is that change has to happen.
I witnessed to Battle Of Britain live in 1987 and hated Clarkeson but bring him in.His performance over the last 4 /5 weeks with a inferior list has been remarkable.

As for our so called management the time has to be up for the ego driven so called Members who use the Club as a Social plaything,

Post subject: Re: An all-time low
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Tough day at the office, sorry to hear how gutting it was for you. We all have our different takes but for me last week was worse, as strange as that sounds.

Otherwise good to hear from you, been a while since we've seen you around these parts 7dom. Hope you & yours are well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

Everyone in the club is responsible for the tripe that was served today. And front of the queue is the board.

Unprofessional going public with a review. As challenged Teague has been with his lack of experience the board has set him up for failure these last 2 months. We’ve left him hang out to dry. Regardless of whether he is the right man, the boards public process has been a disgrace. Complete lack of integrity.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:31 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Forget about today, our pathetic effort is always round 23.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Has it even been the all-time low of the past decade? Or quarter century?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Nope has been much worse. But here we are, it's a product of the new internet culture of the day. Be the biggest victim you can be.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:36 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Yep, the Adelaide game last year was far worse.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I feel you 7Dom... it's galling that we're here again. Club is rotten to the core.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

The Normal One wrote:
Yep, the Adelaide game last year was far worse.

I had to stop & think about which loss that was. They're becoming a blur. This is a low

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

For some reason I always go back to a game against Richmond under Terry Wallace. When we just simply didn't try...& I don't think we were even tanking for picks at that point

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:07 am 
Craig Bradley

This is the worst because it’s the first time in a long time that we can actually have reasonable expectations for improvement. We’re 6 years into a rebuild. Other years the poor performances have been expected.. at least more than this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:12 am 
Geoff Southby

A game early 2000s against north at docklands. Can't remember what it was called then. Might have been Spider Burton's last game, maybe not, but he played ridiculously well.

And we got thrashed probably because we just had a pathetic team then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:36 am 
Geoff Southby

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
A game early 2000s against north at docklands. Can't remember what it was called then. Might have been Spider Burton's last game, maybe not, but he played ridiculously well.

And we got thrashed probably because we just had a pathetic team then.

Last game 2003, we lost by 124 I think. Then we had a mass clean out and all the mature hacks came in and got us to 10 wins in 2004.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:38 am 
Rod Ashman

The Pagan and Malthouse years were much worse.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:56 am 
Harry Vallence

While there have been more low points than high in the last twenty years, this has got to be it. I didn't think this season would get worse after the loss to norf, but flower me, letting any team kick 19 unanswered goals when we were talking finals only a month ago is mind bogglingly bad

19 unanswered goals!!! For jeebus sake, Fitzroy folded with better performances.

7Dom is right. This is the worst. Even taking all the injuries into account, this team is better than when we were regularly getting smashed, so this performance is deplorable.

To think, once we got 23 points in front, it was an 118 point turn around. 2 points shy of 20 goals.

This is not just a coaching issue. This is a club wide culture issue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:57 am 
Harry Vallence

malbi wrote:
The Pagan and Malthouse years were much worse.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

But we knew we were tripe then

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:43 am 
Harry Vallence

I don’t think the club has been lower than this. Can’t get worse than losing hope.

Twenty years of trying to establish some credibility has amounted to zero. For much of that period we have been non competitive. Clearly the worst club in the 21st century.

I don’t have much faith in the club turning this around in the short term. It has to go back to the drawing board and stand for something. No more gifting games (Murphy) and soft decision making (Betts recruitment). In a word “Culture”.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:46 am 
Rod Ashman

bender wrote:
While there have been more low points than high in the last twenty years, this has got to be it. I didn't think this season would get worse after the loss to norf, but flower me, letting any team kick 19 unanswered goals when we were talking finals only a month ago is mind bogglingly bad

19 unanswered goals!!! For jeebus sake, Fitzroy folded with better performances.

7Dom is right. This is the worst. Even taking all the injuries into account, this team is better than when we were regularly getting smashed, so this performance is deplorable.

To think, once we got 23 points in front, it was an 118 point turn around. 2 points shy of 20 goals.

This is not just a coaching issue. This is a club wide culture issue

Yep

Club wide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:07 am 
Stephen Kernahan

london blue wrote:
Unprofessional going public with a review. As challenged Teague has been with his lack of experience the board has set him up for failure these last 2 months. We’ve left him hang out to dry. Regardless of whether he is the right man, the boards public process has been a disgrace. Complete lack of integrity.

I can't agree. Does anyone actually believe we could implement a review using external participants and keep it quiet? :?
We were better being open and transparent with our intentions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Yes hard to beat.

At the end of the day all senior people at the club who one way or another can be directly linked to this calamity need to be looked at and have their tenure scrutinised. The coach and certain elements of the board and the CEO and head of football I'd imagine would be the main culprits. Ultimately this is where things have gone wrong. But also certain players. One can't hang the entire list. But groups of men are led by so called leaders. And I believe certain leaders within the playing group haven't led. Hopefully the review uncovered all failings and what happened last night was just a starc manifestation of what the club already know and no new surprises were thrown up by that catastrophic display on ineptitude.