Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:56 pm 
Craig Bradley

mymanmurph wrote:
Feel sorry for Murph he deserved a better effort than that last 2.5 quarters from the team.
Game passed him 18 months ago but deserves to be in the list of all time games at Carlton. He gave his all for a long time in some VFL standard teams let’s be honest. Hat off to him not sure I would have hung around so long.
Gotta feel for Teague too not many coaches last after that sort of defeat especially at Carlton

That was a Bolton/Paganesque defeat that happened many times. Under Teague, until today, we had suffered anything close to that, always competitive on the scoreboard. Just shows the players have given up on Teague, as they have with our other coaches. My worry, after 20 years of this rubbish, is will be be able to attract a coach. They would know there is every chance their reputation would be left in total tatters with no chance then of another senior job.

Unless we fix player culture and their lack of motivation and will to succeed then the club is fk'ed for years. I got lucky to see 8 flags but it must kill younger supporters.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:57 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluedog wrote:
79Vintage wrote:
Port were a class act recognizing Murph at the end of the game. Hinkley was on the ground telling his young players to acknowledge their opponent's contribution, that's what makes a club with culture.

All teams do that, these days.

No big deal.
Yep, that some serious unoriginal woke rubbish. I want to spew up

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:

Klopp still had his best players on the park and by that time (7 years) built a team culture... it only took him five years to get there with Liverpool

Apologies to the rest of the forum but I can't let this comedy magic die.

Klopp took over about 1/3rd of the way through the 15/16 season which,by the Walsh methodology, doesn't count.

In 16/17,his first full season, he took Liverpool to the Europa League final and qualification for the Champions League, which the team had managed just once in the previous 8 seasons. I won't mention CL qualification again because he's managed it every season, it is basically taken for granted now.

In 17/18 he took them to the CL final, where they lost after Madrid busted their star player's shouler and the Liverpool keeper made two historic howlers after a blow to the head.

In 18/19 he won the CL, the highest club honour in European (or world) football. His third full season. Also got 97 points in the league, the third highest total in history, but by a freak bout of bad luck, the 2nd highest total occurred in the same season.

In 19/20 he won the Euro Super League and World Club Championship (both invitations extended to CL winners only), but that was a mere footnote to Liverpool's first English top flight title in 30 years. And they didn't just win it, they set standards that were unthinkable. When the world went into lockdown, Liverpool's record was an astonishing 26 wins, 1 loss and 1 draw. They clinched the title with 8 games to spare, an all-time record.

All that in his first 4 full seasons. But yeah, make it 5 or 7 or whatever. His accomplishments in every single season dwarf anything Teague has even shown glimpses of. I've defended Teague on many occasions, but bringing Klopp into this was, shall we say, a gargantuan leap on your part, and I ain't having it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Amusing thing is the 22 today were still more experienced than any team Bolton had out there in 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:59 pm 
Banned

jim wrote:
mymanmurph wrote:
Feel sorry for Murph he deserved a better effort than that last 2.5 quarters from the team.
Game passed him 18 months ago but deserves to be in the list of all time games at Carlton. He gave his all for a long time in some VFL standard teams let’s be honest. Hat off to him not sure I would have hung around so long.
Gotta feel for Teague too not many coaches last after that sort of defeat especially at Carlton

That was a Bolton/Paganesque defeat that happened many times. Under Teague, until today, we had suffered anything close to that, always competitive on the scoreboard. Just shows the players have given up on Teague, as they have with our other coaches. My worry, after 20 years of this rubbish, is will be be able to attract a coach. They would know there is every chance their reputation would be left in total tatters with no chance then of another senior job.

Unless we fix player culture and their lack of motivation and will to succeed then the club is fk'ed for years. I got lucky to see 8 flags but it must kill younger supporters.

Yep team culture takes years to build it doesn't take 1-2 years as some wish. If you want long term sustained success they you need one coach to instil it. Be patient back them in to get the players he wants to play the brand he wants. Is the only way. Hinkley has been at Port for 10 years and hasnt won a flag.

Clarkson and Lyon are too old to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:00 pm 
Banned

Effes wrote:
Amusing thing is the 22 today were still more experienced than any team Bolton had out there in 2019.

More interesting Bolton put 18 players behind the ball to still get blasted by 10 goals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

Regardless of the outs and the great start just totally unacceptable on every level
The board must depart
Teague obviously gone
Murphy gone is such a blessing
Seriously just so overrated
Drastic change needed
We must recruit well
And make players accountable by dropping them if they don’t perform
To be frank that hasn’t applied with Teague
No exceptions
This club is wrong on so many levels

Drastic overall needed for a long time at very top

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

GreatEx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Klopp still had his best players on the park and by that time (7 years) built a team culture... it only took him five years to get there with Liverpool

Klopp took over about 1/3rd of the way through the 15/16 season which,by the Walsh methodology, doesn't count.

In 16/17,his first full season, he took Liverpool to the Europa League final and qualification for the Champions League, which the team had managed just once in the previous 8 seasons. I won't mention CL qualification again because he's managed it every season, it is basically taken for granted now.

In 17/18 he took them to the CL final, where they lost after Madrid busted their star player's shouler and the Liverpool keeper made two historic howlers after a blow to the head.

In 18/19 he won the CL, the highest club honour in European (or world) football. His third full season. Also got 97 points in the league, the third highest total in history, but by a freak bout of bad luck, the 2nd highest total occurred in the same season.

In 19/20 he won the Euro Super League and World Club Championship (both invitations extended to CL winners only), but that was a mere footnote to Liverpool's first English top flight title in 30 years. And they didn't just win it, they set standards that were unthinkable. When the world went into lockdown, Liverpool's record was an astonishing 26 wins, 1 loss and 1 draw. They clinched the title with 8 games to spare, an all-time record.

All that in his first 4 full seasons. But yeah, make it 5 or 7 or whatever. His accomplishments in every single season dwarf anything Teague has even shown glimpses of. I've defended Teague on many occasions, but bringing Klopp into this was, shall we say, a gargantuan leap on your part, and I ain't having it.

I wouldn’t bother replying to this one Walshy. Know when you’re beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluedog wrote:
79Vintage wrote:
Port were a class act recognizing Murph at the end of the game. Hinkley was on the ground telling his young players to acknowledge their opponent's contribution, that's what makes a club with culture.

No big deal.

A coach showing leadership.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:03 pm 
Banned

jake_h03 wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

I wouldn’t bother replying to this one Walshy. Know when you’re beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 or 5 seasons whatever? It still takes a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Comparing our coach to Klopp … Lol Walsh …

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:

Loves multiple bottles of plonk does our Walsh, I’d take most of what he says (especially game day) with a few vineyards worth of grapes….

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

79Vintage wrote:
bluedog wrote:
79Vintage wrote:

No big deal.

A coach showing leadership.

They all display that element of leadership these days.

No big deal.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:07 pm 
Banned

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:

Why not?

Brandon Rodgers played the kids.... didnt get the results and got sacked

Jurgen Klopp took him four years to build a team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Walsh wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:

Why not?

Dude stop please … lol :lol:

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:10 pm 
Banned

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:

Why not?

Dude stop please … lol :lol:

Teague and Klopp even look the same same age.

So does Rodgers and Bolton.

I can see it all happening.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

I watched the entire game.
It was hard to believe it was the same team that was out there for the first quarter and a half.
The capitulation was unbelievable, but not surprising.
Sad way for Murphy to go out.
Kennedy, Walsh and TDK our best.
It was like they simply gave up after half time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:12 pm 
Banned

Mitchell 2022 first round pick
Cerra 2021 first round pick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

Culture from Port. Not doing the woke clapping off of a 300 game player. Brought aliir whats his name in. Was solid and that's about it at sidanee. Now in AA contention.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

All Clubs have injuries and its part of any AFL Club... Yet at Carlton, we seem to have overlooked a serious factor that Long Term Injuries and Players breaking down without being able to complete a full season, has been a common Feature at Carlton for many years-non stop..

I know some have questioned if we have a professional medical team or if they have not done their job properly.....

HOWEVER,

I truly believe that our run with Injuries is mostly due to the poor recruitment of Good players who are injury prone, and their former clubs knew too well that their bodies could not hold up to an AFL standard....Here is a list of current players whom I consider Injury prone ( Consistent injuries every year ).

** J.Silvagni : JSOS has never been able to stream a full season or even 80% of a season. Often breaks down after 2-3 good games

** Z.Williams : The supposedly Big Signing of the year and the answer to our Midfield woes, turns out to be nothing more than a lazy average footballer with poor defensive games and hardly a top notch Midfielder. It turns out, his good value at GWS came because he was playing with a Super midfield who were just feeding him the ball. To add to our misery, he is also injury prone, and has broken down multipe times this year

** M.McGovern : Adelaide knew something we didn't. Injury prone player. Breaks down often with big, long term injuries. We fell for him

** S.Docherty: Can't really blame this poor bloke. He was Certainly top Quality and a Grade A player, but with 2 Knee constructions, year after year & the recent battle with Cancer, He can never be the same player as used to be.

** J.Martin: Big time Injury prone player. Huge Talent, I used to watch him all the time when he was at the Suns, and he used to frustrates me cause he often was getting injured there. Story hasn't changed much at Carlton. A Very injury prone player!

** C. Marchbank: Another GWS Recruit who promised plenty but delivered little- all because he is an Injury prone player. Can not hold up his body to play consistently.

** N.Newman : Similar Story to Docherty. Age, injuries have caught up with him. We should never have recruited him.

** D.Cunningham : Another promising midfielder who has been played out of position and never given any quality midfield time. Injuries have restricted him from having an impact.

** C.Curnow : His older brother promised the Carlton recruiters that his younger brother does not have a Chronic Knee injury and that he will recover to become a top Gun. Well, he is certainly shown us that he can be a top Gun, but is yet able to put his knee issues behind him. I have a bad feeling about this Top Gun.

** S.Philip: Our Top Recruit. have not been able to see much of him yet. Long term Injury and counting

** L. Casboult: Old age has caught up with him. His body can't hold it up anymore... I think its time we let him go..

Adding to our woes, P.Cripps seems to be carrying a long term injury and has been playing injured for the last 2 years and is having a very negative impact on the team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next