Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Heavs wrote:
Could we look to play Jones in the ruck (as the main ruck) with JSOS as the backup? Then play McNuggets in defence?

I suggested that earlier in the thread

Jones and JSOS do rucking duties
McGovern plays sweeper role in defence

GC players are fed up with fat boy and probably want angry ant as coach - I cant see the ball being in our back half to much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

I reckon getting Jones in the ruck is making things complicated when it doesn't have to be. He's been good in defence, leave him there.

Mcgovern was an OK ruck for the 2s on the weekend from reports. He & JSos share ruck & half forward, 50/50, or 60/40. Simples.

That's if TDK doesn't come up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

This is what OKeefe says about Govs game in the VFL last weekend.

From the Carlton website:

Quote:
11. Mitch McGovern
Stats: 15 disposals, seven contested possessions, six marks, two goals.

He played a really solid game. At times, I felt sorry for him because we played him as a forward, we played him as a backman and we played him in the ruck but to be honest, we basically put him where the ball was and he just made an impact on the game dramatically. His ability to compete in the air as a forward and a ruck was enormous for us.

His positioning behind the ball was what really impressed us, particularly with a strong wind going one way: he put himself into a position where he could turn the ball over or help support our team do the same thing. Unfortunately for ‘Gov’, one of his greatest strengths is finishing shots on goal: he had six of them, but ended with 2.4. He missed a couple of easy shots when it could've been a four- or five-goal game from him.

Pumping him up for selection: Forward, ruck or back.

Missed a couple easy shots when he's suppose to be a dead eye dick.....wind was horrible though down at Sandy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Could we look to play Jones in the ruck (as the main ruck) with JSOS as the backup? Then play McNuggets in defence?

I suggested that earlier in the thread

Jones and JSOS do rucking duties
McGovern plays sweeper role in defence

GC players are fed up with fat boy and probably want angry ant as coach - I cant see the ball being in our back half to much

Which Forward would Gov play against?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I recall BV preferring Jones to take Max king as a better match than Weitering.
Proved correct, then Jones took over for remainder of first quarter.
Weitering returned and took him to the cleaners. Midfield pressure and improvement in team defence helped too.

Obviously Weitering will take Ben King to start with.

The rest of their forwards aren't that tall, implying Jones isn't desperately needed to mind"
Joel Jeffrey is 192 at CHF
Alex Sexton next tallest at 184
Gov could cope with that.

The rest are midgets Macpherson, Ainsworth and Flanders.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

With TDK playing, if he does in fact play, means SOS will start as the 3rd tall and no room for Gov with Harry and Charlie there.

If boys keep improving and no injuries, and Gov isn't selected this week, he may be overlooked this year, unless he takes the spot in defence from Williamson or Newman. IMO, he isn't going to replace Plowman, Saad or Stocker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:

Quote:
11. Mitch McGovern

He played a really solid game. At times, I felt sorry for him because we played him as a forward, we played him as a backman and we played him in the ruck but to be honest, we basically put him where the ball was and he just made an impact on the game dramatically. His ability to compete in the air as a forward and a ruck was enormous for us.

His positioning behind the ball was what really impressed us, particularly with a strong wind going one way: he put himself into a position where he could turn the ball over or help support our team do the same thing. Unfortunately for ‘Gov’, one of his greatest strengths is finishing shots on goal: he had six of them, but ended with 2.4. He missed a couple of easy shots when it could've been a four- or five-goal game from him.

Missed a couple easy shots when he's suppose to be a dead eye dick.....wind was horrible though down at Sandy.

Circumstances might not allow it but would be nice to see him really earn a senior recall.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree McGovern needs to for once earn his spot gifted games at Carlton because of injuries never has been fit since he got there and really has underperformed in view of what he is paid .

Apply appropriate selection standards to all if Williams Martin or mcgovern or Cripps aren’t fit don’t play them

Last few years selected in front of JSOS for 3rd tall position Jack gone past him with a bullet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Usually when there's a write up pumping up a player on the club website, they're selected.

This week its Fogarty.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/993965/analysis-fogarty-responds-with-brutal-pressure-in-vfl

I'm not a huge fan anymore because his klck for goal is not what I expect from a forward, but aftyer reading this write up, how could you argue against his selection if you were not a critical observer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kennyhunter wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Quote:
11. Mitch McGovern

Circumstances might not allow it but would be nice to see him really earn a senior recall.

Agree. He should be kicking the door down.

The way he's played since being drafted, he plays like he's entitled for a spot in the 22 and his efforts seem conditional.
We've seen enough and had enough of that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Dow Kennedy Honey LOB - not sure any of them were literally kicking down the door.
But many comments have been "why weren't they in earlier?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

jezzarules wrote:
Dow Kennedy Honey LOB - not sure any of them were literally kicking down the door.
But many comments have been "why weren't they in earlier?"

Yep...........kickin" arse in the magoo"s doesn't mean a hell of a lot.It"s a good sign,but it aint everything.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

Fogarty isn’t a forward. He is a pure midfielder and another we have decided not play in his rightful position. The issue is, we have too many midfielders who it seems can’t play other positions. Fogarty’s kicking, or more importantly , lack of penetration in his kicking, limits his options.

So do you play pure midfielders in the midfield with rotations on the bench and give them limited games?
Of course that leads to them at looking for opportunities elsewhere, especially if injuries improve.

I think the match committee will need to make this call next year, including playing natural forwards like Owies, Durdin and Honey - only forward and not all at once. Ed Curnow is another who can only play midfield. We are fortunate in we have Martin, Fisher, SPS and Williams / Doc who can play multiple positions.

Having said that, the positive is, we might not see players out of form, not up to AFL standard or being played out of position in 2022.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

Hopefully get to see our first-choice forward group this weekend.

Harry, Charlie, Jack, Gov & Eddie.

Only 36 rounds in the making.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
Hopefully get to see our first-choice forward group this weekend.

Harry, Charlie, Jack, Gov & Eddie.

Only 36 rounds in the making.

Martin?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

One would expect GC to be fired up after last week.

Danger game :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GWS wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
I sense he could become our Jobe Watson and the bullocking mid we’ve been looking for to support Cripps.
(Certainly over pre season, I’d get him ready for that role next year.)

I’ll get the nurse.

Almost missed that one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm not sure I'd make any changes assuming TDK is alright

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Now what??
(Re lockdown 6 in Vic…)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Betts for Owies
The only change

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next