Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

frank dardew wrote:
The problem was last week wasn’t an aberration Walsh
Was same as first match against Carringbush GWS WC PA Richmond Dogs for last quarter last quarter against the swans last quarter against Geelong
That’s why it is so frustrating last week wasn’t just a one off it happens regularly
That’s why there is a query on the coach and his future going forward
Much better last night but that must be the standard
Start like that against GC and blow them off the park

This team if they bring the intensity should be playing finals they aren’t because they don’t and that needs to be rectified quickly

Last week was worse than the previous 4 and also last night.

We are average, not great not terrible

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:
It also is worth repeating that St Kilda are a nothing club, filled with and surrounded by horrible people, and are absolute shite in every respect. They've taken too much joy at our expense and I hope this really stings the cauliflower.

LIKE. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:21 pm 
Bert Deacon

happy for charlie and honey ,plowman ,owies,newnes, should be look at and maybe we have found HFF in willow at least he can kick 45m (could be our fritsch from dees) train him over preseson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Kouta wrote:
When I look at Billings, I have horrible flashbacks to that opportunist and piece of crap MIlne. Both played for the right club.

Billings? I have those flashbacks when I look at Montagna

I wonder if Milne and Montagna used the Billings Method?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
This team is like Jeckyll and Hyde.
Our good, is very good, but our bad, is diabolical.
It’s definitely above the shoulders. We can drop our bundle very easily.
Hopefully we finish off the last month with the good.

Not sure I'd go as far as very good yet.

We played some great footy at times last night and it was fun to watch but I don't remember us doing that in any sustained way against a genuine top side for years.

Flat track bullies when we feel like turning up at the moment.

Hate to say it but almost Essendon* like. :oops:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:52 pm 
Banned

Travelling as expected - not a top four team yet and a team that's competitive and breaking shackles of past misnomers. Its up to Cripps, Docherty, Weitering, Walsh, Charlie, Harry, Williams, Saad, Martin to drive this team next five years and play deep in the finals next year.

Predicted 12-6 on the ladder this season 10-6 next season. Sixth having a healthy list like Bulldogs, Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong

Concerns on quality of midfield depth and rotations and rucks with a healthy list. Could possibly go top four next year with confidence and momentum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

frank dardew wrote:
The problem was last week wasn’t an aberration Walsh
Was same as first match against Carringbush GWS WC PA Richmond Dogs for last quarter last quarter against the swans last quarter against Geelong
That’s why it is so frustrating last week wasn’t just a one off it happens regularly
That’s why there is a query on the coach and his future going forward
Much better last night but that must be the standard
Start like that against GC and blow them off the park

This team if they bring the intensity should be playing finals they aren’t because they don’t and that needs to be rectified quickly

Richmond was one of our better efforts I thought. Swans and Geelong were ok. Rest utter shit. Swans we stuck with most of the game in Sydney, never expected to win that. Geelong game would have been a cliff hanger but some awful kicking. Totally lacked personnel. Did a good job to hang in against the flag favourite considering and worked hard all game. Dogs was a baffling collapse, going from dominating for 3qtrs against the other flag favourite, to just suddenly dying, turning to utter shit. Utter ruined what could have been our best effort in years.

North was the worst by a mile though. No contest there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

Not a top 8 team yet forget about top 4 with the ability to not turn up in multiple games in a season and not turn up in quarters in winnable games a long way from top 4 team in my view
Not a top 8 team in terms of game plan grit or intensity
Played better last night but let’s face it Stkilda are as skittish as us and it’s not as if they are a top side either
Enjoyed the win but doesn’t eradicate the glaring deficiencies with this team

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

We beat a team that's sitting 13th on the ladder with a percentage of 85%.

Saints have been beaten by 75, 86, 54, 111 points during the season.

We played really well in the 2nd and 3rd quarters where we really committed our intensity to the contest, but lets not make big claims about our prowess, and be grateful the boys came to play, as they should week in week out, but haven't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:20 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
Credit where it's due, we saw how well our defence can function when our mids are competitive and the players get back to assist. Butler, Higgins, Kent. All small forwards who can do some damage but were well beaten.

Not sure who deserves credit for it. It's just plain and simple work-rate, effort and concentration...3 non negotiables and should not vary too much within and between games, regardless of personnel

It's another example in an encyclopaedia of pick & choose, pick & choose, pick & choose football under Teague

We're just as likely to play deplorable football next week as the review this week won't be so 'brutal'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:08 pm 
Rod McGregor

Apart from the North game where we had no tall forwards which seemed to screw the defensive structure as we pushed too high from shallow entries we have been much better defensively for 5 out of the 6 weeks. Teague seems to have realised you can't consistently win by playing in shoot outs, other teams shut you down offensively and game over! We are now much better at folding back so tick for me
The glaring weakness for me has been our pressure, which to me is as simple as how many tackles we lay. For a long time the focus has seemed to be on corralling not trying to tackle
Tackles creates perceived pressure, corralling provides time to find an option
We consistently lay 50-60 tackles and against North it was 43 I think
So to FINALLY lay 80 tackles was a great result - hopefully a mindset change and something we can build on
Noticed Teague has started to mention it post game so maybe the penny has dropped - but not convinced
We will see next week
Anyway nice win against a side we have struggled against recently - hope we back it up next week

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:59 am 
Bruce Doull

We look a much better side with no setterfield Gibbons SPS.

All too slow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:45 am 
Geoff Southby

Good win..................an even spread of contributors.Does it every time.Many hands make light work..............like the fact we got in the Saints face.Put the pressure on "em.Plenty to look forward too.Young players coming in and doing something will keep your enthusiasm up every day of the week............we are getting a core,we are building.Crippa,Walsh,Harry,Weiters are silk.If you couldn't build a side around that quartet you are in the wrong caper..............whoever gets the coaching gig next year will be licking his lips.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
We look a much better side with no setterfield Gibbons SPS.

All too slow

True.

I'd add Cottrell for different reason.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:56 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Hornet wrote:
Sakc Ratts...

That will be an interesting watch, Ratts missing finals this year is similar to his last year at Carlton.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Good to have a win but let's be real, if we weren't so freakishly accurate it could've went the other way pretty quickly.
I was disappointed that we had the opportunity to up our percentage yet we still can't put teams away.
We still let them have the momentum for too long. What was it, 4 goals in the last quarter?
Great first half but against a better team we would've been smoked, again.
The highlight for me was Jack Silvagni filling in for TDK, that's the standard we should be setting for the whole club.
Great to see Charlie come out unscathed, great goal and what we have been missing, a 50m plus goal kicker.
The low point for me was Murphy, he's clearly injured still. Very sad way to end a career, being subbed into a game on one leg just to reach a number. Some may think this is good culture helping him reach 300, to me it highlights all that is wrong with our culture at the club. The individual over the team. As I have said before I would've loved to see him fight to hit the 300 over this.
Teague is still a dead man walking, lucky win but it changes nothing. Too many questions and not enough answers for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

The Normal One wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Sakc Ratts...

That will be an interesting watch, Ratts missing finals this year is similar to his last year at Carlton.

Not true , difference Greg Swann already had malthouse signed and sticks agreed

But ratts would be uncomfortable if they play like that next year !!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Good to have a win but let's be real, if we weren't so freakishly accurate it could've went the other way pretty quickly.
I was disappointed that we had the opportunity to up our percentage yet we still can't put teams away.
We still let them have the momentum for too long. What was it, 4 goals in the last quarter?
The highlight for me was Jack Silvagni filling in for TDK, that's the standard we should be setting for the whole club.
Great to see Charlie come out unscathed, great goal and what we have been missing, a 50m plus goal kicker.
The low point for me was Murphy, he's clearly injured still. Very sad way to end a career, being subbed into a game on one leg just to reach a number. Some may think this is good culture helping him reach 300, to me it highlights all that is wrong with our culture at the club. The individual over the team. As I have said before I would've loved to see him fight to hit the 300 over this.
Teague is still a dead man walking, lucky win but it changes nothing. Too many questions and not enough answers for me.

Absolutely agree with that !! Someone being realistic ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:06 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sidefx wrote:

Lucky win....hahahahahahahahahahaha! We were 50 points up until we took our foot off the gas and you say we were lucky. We won because we dominated them. Some posters are incredible.

I assume you are not a hypocrite and say if we kicked straight against Geelong we likely win.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Lucky win....hahahahahahahahahahaha! We were 50 points up until we took our foot off the gas and you say we were lucky. We won because we dominated them. Some posters are incredible.

I assume you are not a hypocrite and say if we kicked straight against Geelong we likely win.

We didn't take the foot off the peddle, if that's what you think then your probably on your own there. We just can't play 4 quarters under Teague, as it is in all the games he has coached. Why would he and the players let an opportunity to get valuable percentage to make the top 8 go missing?? Ridiculous comment.
And if you look at the game stats, they pretty much beat us in everything, except goal accuracy.
A more accurate team vs our recent accuracy would've seen us beat, you can't argue the math.
Our recent goal accuracy:
RD 20 - 88% Saints 64%
RD 19 - 50%
RD 18 - 50%
RD 17 - 36%
As for the Geelong game, I did't watch it but everyone in football knows if you kick goals over points you give yourself a better chance to win. And at 36% kicking accuracy that is giving yourself no chance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next