Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:47 am 
Geoff Southby

Well we won
Hit outs are the most overrated stat
70 hit outs to 11 Saints way
JSOS is smart. He knew he couldn’t win the tap out so he competed more at ground level
Clever
I’ve been advocating him to play midfield for a while

Saints only won the clearances by 3

Dow actually kicked well tonight for once but must work on his endurance. He often starts off well then goes missing still
O’ Brien reminds me of Lachie Hunter Gaffboth incredibly soft player’s
The dogs have and role for Hunter. OBrien needs to find a role. Even last night at times he looked weak in the contest but has a decent kick
Still would get rid of him

Our midfield is the problem
Cripps
Walsh were very good last night
Dow I have mentioned above
Kennedy was solid and will get a new contract
The rest struggled
Fisher needs to increase his output
Overall Steele Jones Dunstan got more ball just didn’t use it well enough

More midfield depth needed

Two big differences
We kicked straight
Our tackling and pressure for 3 quarters was great
It had to be after last week
Owies needs a spell
Curnow not ready but having him there makes the opposition worry

Playing Murphy could cost us a spot in the 8
I have been advocating playing Honey
Looks the goods
Play Ramsay and Carroll for Owies and retire Murphy
It’s a joke he was out there last night

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:48 am 
Banned

Reckon its unfair to compare last night to last week.

Last week there was no one forward to move the ball and players lost their bundle.

It helps to have a game day structure like all other clubs and we are still no there yet asking Jack to play ruck for the entire game instead of third tall.

Last week was an aberration than the norm imo - and we will show it again versus the Suns.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Saints may have won the tap, but SOS crashed into their rucks time and time again to make them ineffective.

Ryder would have jumped over SOS.
Said during the week if Ryder plays we have no chance, if he doesn't, we are a chance because Marshall doesn't have a leap, and can't jump.

A good tap ruckman is GOLD for the mids.
Dow would be unstoppable if he had planned taps directed to his advantage.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:56 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
Reckon its unfair to compare last night to last week.

Last week there was no one forward to move the ball and players lost their bundle.

It helps to have a game day structure like all other clubs and we are still no there yet asking Jack to play ruck for the entire game instead of third tall.

Last week was an aberration than the norm imo - and we will show it again versus the Suns.

Agree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Forgot to mention Ed Curnow's great game

He was the best tackler and pressure player from the get go, without having seen the stats.
Don't know if he gets stats for the pressure he put on the Saints players.

Steele Dunstan and Jones may have had most possessions but players like Ed just made it hard for them when he was close by.

We closed space and time.
Do that every week and the boys can play.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The Hunter Clark outcome will be interesting. He copped a couple of soft knocks early and seemed to be struggling. Kennedy bumped/blocked him in the last quarter and he went to ground holding his head/neck. Hopefully Christian doesn't make an issue of it. He was obviously less than 100% and the Kennedy knock finished him off.
The problem is St Kilda wont admit he was struggling as it leaves them open to criticism/liability.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:30 am 
Ken Hunter

This team is like Jeckyll and Hyde.
Our good, is very good, but our bad, is diabolical.
It’s definitely above the shoulders. We can drop our bundle very easily.
Hopefully we finish off the last month with the good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:37 am 
Harry Vallence

An acceptable response to an extremely unacceptable performance the week before. Probably one of our best performances of the year, albeit against some average opposition with a similar inconsistency to us. As always, next week is the true test. Do we fail to maintain composure and emotional maturity after a win yet again? Do we crumble next week against another bogey team with a bit of go who will run us off the park if we're a couple of percent off, and the following week against quality opposition who demand a Plan B, or will we show we have the ability to lock down and focus, and pull some more tools from the kit?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Credit where it's due, we saw how well our defence can function when our mids are competitive and the players get back to assist. Butler, Higgins, Kent. All small forwards who can do some damage but were well beaten.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:47 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Credit where it's due, we saw how well our defence can function when our mids are competitive and the players get back to assist. Butler, Higgins, Kent. All small forwards who can do some damage but were well beaten.

Agree
So what happens next week

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:00 am 
Ken Hunter

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Agree
So what happens next week

Stop Miller, stop Sexton, stop Rowell.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:15 am 
Bruce Doull

It also is worth repeating that St Kilda are a nothing club, filled with and surrounded by horrible people, and are absolute shite in every respect. They've taken too much joy at our expense and I hope this really stings the cauliflower.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:40 am 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:
It also is worth repeating that St Kilda are a nothing club, filled with and surrounded by horrible people, and are absolute shite in every respect. They've taken too much joy at our expense and I hope this really stings the cauliflower.

Agree.
Amazing how they have avoided scrutiny this year.
Same number of wins as us so why isn't Ratten under the pump like Teague has been?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:49 am 
Rod Ashman

Great win although I still started watching the last quarter expecting a StKilda goal blitz. There is a lot of past pain to overcome before my confidence in the team comes back. Honey was great and now needs to be left in for the remainder of the season. Generally I think we play better at Marvel as the smaller width enables Crips and Kennedy to get to more contests. I thought both were great in close and worked to their strengths. Maybe they are now starting to sort out how best to work together. The addition of Charlie must impact that. I also liked the extra time Fish is spending in the middle. He adds speed and with Honey in the forward line we looked a lot quicker and able to close space.

I still see Williamson and LOB as having too many weaknesses and both cost us goals last night, however I think Williamson can work on his deficiencies while LOB's is all in the head.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
The Hunter Clark outcome will be interesting. He copped a couple of soft knocks early and seemed to be struggling. Kennedy bumped/blocked him in the last quarter and he went to ground holding his head/neck. Hopefully Christian doesn't make an issue of it. He was obviously less than 100% and the Kennedy knock finished him off.
The problem is St Kilda wont admit he was struggling as it leaves them open to criticism/liability.

Maybe I missed that one with MK. But Owies got him pretty solid as well.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:31 am 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
This team is like Jeckyll and Hyde.
Our good, is very good, but our bad, is diabolical.
It’s definitely above the shoulders. We can drop our bundle very easily.
Hopefully we finish off the last month with the good.

I actually think our effort and form has been pretty consistent 5 of the last 6 weeks, the fact we had no targets up forward last week v North the major issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:47 am 
Bruce Doull

Kouta wrote:
When I look at Billings, I have horrible flashbacks to that opportunist and piece of crap MIlne. Both played for the right club.

Billings? I have those flashbacks when I look at Montagna

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:56 am 
Bruce Doull

Heavs wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Maybe I missed that one with MK. But Owies got him pretty solid as well.
Haven't watched the replay but it looked to me like Kennedy made the effort to bump safely

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Was so livid and despondent with last week that I said to myself that I wouldn’t watch this week. Had other commitments but of course come bounce down I was watching. Can’t turn that off, for better or worse.

Haven’t seen the whole game but caught large parts. Very pleasantly surprised, wasn’t expecting such a sound performance. Especially against this mob who have caused us so much grief.

Unsure what it means in the grand scheme of what’s going on at the club. But it was great to see effort, intent, pressure, structure and crazy accuracy.

Simply have to back it up and finish the season strong.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

The problem was last week wasn’t an aberration Walsh
Was same as first match against Carringbush GWS WC PA Richmond Dogs for last quarter last quarter against the swans last quarter against Geelong
That’s why it is so frustrating last week wasn’t just a one off it happens regularly
That’s why there is a query on the coach and his future going forward
Much better last night but that must be the standard
Start like that against GC and blow them off the park

This team if they bring the intensity should be playing finals they aren’t because they don’t and that needs to be rectified quickly

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next