Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:57 pm 
Banned

Would have been a good game for Durdin to come into the team - but no where near ready needs a big pre season and spot is his.

I reckon Kemp will be close to replace Williams.

H and Charlie will be massive even if they do come in, Jack in the ruck is facepalm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

Now I know the AFL are taking the p1$$ with us by scheduling us on prime time this week.
Oh dear.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Prime time in olympics is not prime time. Phew.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:07 am 
formerly King Kenny

Honey, Kemp, Charlie and Ramsay. Probably too many kids, but stuff it.

Will they rush McKay and McGovern in?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Kemp, Carroll and Honey are on the cusp of selection. Will play soon.
My guess is at least one. I would add ramsay to that list but haven't heard his name mentioned.

Ramsay >>>Cottrell imo

Honey was injured last week as we all know now...a week later

Fingers crossed Harry and Charlie can play this week.

I hope Cripps lifts for this game.
I'm sorry for calling him out over the last 2 days, but he's been annoying me, and if you put yopur hand up to play...you know the rest.

Cripps isn't fit from what I understand.
Can't lead if you can't lead with performance I guess.
Hence talk about leadership changes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 am 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
My guess is at least one. I would add ramsay to that list but haven't heard his name mentioned.

Ramsay >>>Cottrell imo

I'm sorry for calling him out over the last 2 days, but he's been annoying me, and if you put yopur hand up to play...you know the rest.

I think we all know Cripps has some sort of chronic injury, what frustrates us all is that the club won’t admit it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:44 am 
Rod Ashman

H wont play so McGovern straight in. Need to get some height back.

Newman Weitering Stocker
Saad Jones Williamson
Walsh Cripps Cottrell
Martin Silvagni Fisher
Murphy McGovern Owies

DeKoning Kennedy Dow

E Curnow Newnes SPS Honey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
H wont play so McGovern straight in. Need to get some height back.

Newman Weitering Stocker
Saad Jones Williamson
Walsh Cripps Cottrell
Martin Silvagni Fisher
Murphy McGovern Owies

DeKoning Kennedy Dow

E Curnow Newnes SPS Honey

I think you may be right carnablues.

Makes sense to put Gov in for height and experience.
He's been training hard for a month now, surely he's fit.

Will also increase Govs trade value if he performs well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Ramsay >>>Cottrell imo

I think we all know Cripps has some sort of chronic injury.

1 stoppage clearance on Saturday and 13 uncontested possessions.
I'm more concerned about the balance of his role and how he chooses or is being instructed to perform that role than any injuries he may be carrying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Ramsay >>>Cottrell imo

I think we all know Cripps has some sort of chronic injury.

1 stoppage clearance on Saturday and 13 uncontested possessions.
I'm more concerned about the balance of his role and how he chooses or is being instructed to perform that role than any injuries he may be carrying.

Ditto.

Its easier to do what has come naturally to him, win the contested ball, and dish it out, than to run around collecting easy ball and being unaccountable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Ramsay >>>Cottrell imo

I think we all know Cripps has some sort of chronic injury, what frustrates us all is that the club won’t admit it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:30 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Has anyone heard any news about VFL resuming this weekend?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:56 am 
Harry Vallence

sinbagger wrote:

Yes it resumes this weekend ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:01 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

sinbagger wrote:

Back with no crowds which sucks as was looking forward to going to Trevor Barker oval

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:21 am 
Bob Chitty

Club has said that they will bring back Gov via he 2s so rule him out I guess. honey unlikely to be selected off an injury even if it is now resolved. Harry only an outiside chance so let's assume not. Rule out O'Brien, Parks and Durdin who haven't been showing enough in the 2s to warrant consideration (IMHO) and we are down to our 22 plus 4 emergencies. Three of those would be on debut. Can't see the club doing that all in the one week even if they are picking for development over short term result. Maybe 2 but for the sake of the exercise I will go with what I sspect the club will do and that is 1 and that 1 is Kemp given our need for height. So that puts Ramsay and Carroll as emergencies. I say bring Fogarty back if only because he doesn't carry the stain of being part of last week's debacle. I have seen saying Newnes should go, IMHO he was a candidate for our best (not saying much), similarly SPS put in his most promsing run for a while albeit against a poor baseline and should be given the opportunity to build on that. I have criticism of Newman but again I thought he was one of the best of a bad lot. Fisher disappointed but I am a fan and inclined to give him a chance to redeem himself. Owies has been poor for weeks but I think in Eddiee's absence this is a chance to play him closer to goal and that I think is one of the issues he has had of recent weeks, being pulled too far upfield. Shackle him within 40m and see how he goes. Murphy may as well be helped to his 300th so injury sub for him. That leaves 1 spot down to Cottrell or Williamson. I really want both these guys to make it but I have my doubts on both. Cottrell gives us amazing endurance and that is so valuable but his skills are simply not up to AFL standard. Williamson has the tools but has not been delivering since his injury but also i think the club might be to blae for how he has been used. On balance my inlination is to put him on a wing and tell him to show us what he's got - pace, strong body, long kick, you can do it! Much more upside than Cottrell unless the latter's skils can be fixed, which ain't gonna happen overnight if at all, so give Willo the chance on the wing to cement his spot on the list.

Moving forward plan to blood both Ramsay and Carroll (in that order if 1 at a time) by seasons end as well as bringing in returnees.

The question then becomes who is on the bench and who is where on field. I like to play debutatnts from th opening bell unless they are the type who might benefit from coming in off the bench when a bit of heat has gone out of the game. Helps with the nerves to start them on ground even if they are off in the first rotation. So Kemp starts on ground and in fairness to him put him where he has been playing in the 2s ie defence. Saints don't have a strong presence at CHF and I'd play him at CHB - Hunter probably goes out for Marshall unless Ryder can't com up given the short week in which case it might be Marshall for Ryder which would be a break for us. If so we might be able to spare a key defender if we push Kemp to CHB. Weitering has had some flak for last week but really the ease of delivery into the forward line gave Larkey the ball on a platter - to wax poetical for a moment:

Deliver the ball to a forward that way
And Doull, Southby and SOS in their prime
Merged into one and that one on his day
Could not have got fist to it in time

So do you start him up forward as he finished last week? Or do you play him down back as per usual and on whom? Jones seems the most natural option given height issues but might be needed elsewhere if the Saints play 3 talls forward (plus Membrey) whoever they may be but in that case both he and Jones will be needed back probably along with Kemp and Plowman. Assuming we can spare a tall to push forward I would be inclined to throw Weitering the cahallenge of King and play Jones forward - he has played most of nhis career there albeit as a fringe player, he has genuine height otherwise lacking forward and he provides the best ruck relief to TDK that we have available. I say give it a go - and no I am not expecting Jones to suddenly turn it on as a forward I just think structurally he would add the most if a key defender coukd be freed up to play forward.

Lineup then for me (assuming we an spare a KD to go forward as noted)

Saad Weitering Plowman
Newnes Kemp Stocker
Williamson Kennedy Dow
Martin Cripps Silvagni
Jones C Curnow Owies
De Koning E Curnow Walsh
Fisher Fogarty Newman Petervski-Seton / Murphy (inj sub)
Emergencies Carroll Cottrell Ramsay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:21 am 
Bob Chitty

Club has said that they will bring back Gov via he 2s so rule him out I guess. honey unlikely to be selected off an injury even if it is now resolved. Harry only an outiside chance so let's assume not. Rule out O'Brien, Parks and Durdin who haven't been showing enough in the 2s to warrant consideration (IMHO) and we are down to our 22 plus 4 emergencies. Three of those would be on debut. Can't see the club doing that all in the one week even if they are picking for development over short term result. Maybe 2 but for the sake of the exercise I will go with what I sspect the club will do and that is 1 and that 1 is Kemp given our need for height. So that puts Ramsay and Carroll as emergencies. I say bring Fogarty back if only because he doesn't carry the stain of being part of last week's debacle. I have seen saying Newnes should go, IMHO he was a candidate for our best (not saying much), similarly SPS put in his most promsing run for a while albeit against a poor baseline and should be given the opportunity to build on that. I have criticism of Newman but again I thought he was one of the best of a bad lot. Fisher disappointed but I am a fan and inclined to give him a chance to redeem himself. Owies has been poor for weeks but I think in Eddiee's absence this is a chance to play him closer to goal and that I think is one of the issues he has had of recent weeks, being pulled too far upfield. Shackle him within 40m and see how he goes. Murphy may as well be helped to his 300th so injury sub for him. That leaves 1 spot down to Cottrell or Williamson. I really want both these guys to make it but I have my doubts on both. Cottrell gives us amazing endurance and that is so valuable but his skills are simply not up to AFL standard. Williamson has the tools but has not been delivering since his injury but also i think the club might be to blae for how he has been used. On balance my inlination is to put him on a wing and tell him to show us what he's got - pace, strong body, long kick, you can do it! Much more upside than Cottrell unless the latter's skils can be fixed, which ain't gonna happen overnight if at all, so give Willo the chance on the wing to cement his spot on the list.

Moving forward plan to blood both Ramsay and Carroll (in that order if 1 at a time) by seasons end as well as bringing in returnees.

The question then becomes who is on the bench and who is where on field. I like to play debutatnts from th opening bell unless they are the type who might benefit from coming in off the bench when a bit of heat has gone out of the game. Helps with the nerves to start them on ground even if they are off in the first rotation. So Kemp starts on ground and in fairness to him put him where he has been playing in the 2s ie defence. Saints don't have a strong presence at CHF and I'd play him at CHB - Hunter probably goes out for Marshall unless Ryder can't com up given the short week in which case it might be Marshall for Ryder which would be a break for us. If so we might be able to spare a key defender if we push Kemp to CHB. Weitering has had some flak for last week but really the ease of delivery into the forward line gave Larkey the ball on a platter - to wax poetical for a moment:

So do you start him up forward as he finished last week? Or do you play him down back as per usual and on whom? Jones seems the most natural option given height issues but might be needed elsewhere if the Saints play 3 talls forward (plus Membrey) whoever they may be but in that case both he and Jones will be needed back probably along with Kemp and Plowman. Assuming we can spare a tall to push forward I would be inclined to throw Weitering the cahallenge of King and play Jones forward - he has played most of nhis career there albeit as a fringe player, he has genuine height otherwise lacking forward and he provides the best ruck relief to TDK that we have available. I say give it a go - and no I am not expecting Jones to suddenly turn it on as a forward I just think structurally he would add the most if a key defender coukd be freed up to play forward.

Saad Weitering Plowman
Newnes Kemp Stocker
Williamson Kennedy Dow
Martin Cripps Silvagni
Jones C Curnow Owies
De Koning E Curnow Walsh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

ianh wrote:

Saad Weitering Plowman
Newnes Kemp Stocker
Williamson Kennedy Dow
Martin Cripps Silvagni
Jones C Curnow Owies
De Koning E Curnow Walsh

Great post ianh.
Really good summary.

Don't agree about Williamson, as I'd put him in the same basket as cottrell.

I doubt Willo will ever cement a spot in the 22 unless we have at least 13 out injured like this last recall, when his form was horrible in the VFL. He's important because at the minute we have 17 injured, and question marks over Gov and Charlie returning.

SPS was pathetic in parts last week as highlighted by 3 different media channels, all with different examples of laziness, and inept efforts, but we are desperate.

We have to be desperate to play Williamson, Cottrell, Fogarty, SPS, and Owies I agree has not been in good form either.

Agree Newnes has shown effort, desire and risk. Something other players can learn.

Completely agree Jones as the forward and waxing the ruck with TDK.

Gov and Charlie should be played.
Kemp should be played.
Honey and Ramsay should be played

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 am 
Banned

Lets hope supporters dont get too silly with Charlie he will be no where near AFL match fit. I recall when he came back from injuries prior to the big one it took him a couple of games to get going.

So I am expecting an error prone Charlie but will good to see him shake off his woes finally.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am 
Wayne Johnston

ianh wrote:

Saad Weitering Plowman
Newnes Kemp Stocker
Williamson Kennedy Dow
Martin Cripps Silvagni
Jones C Curnow Owies
De Koning E Curnow Walsh

I agree with this but I’d leave Jones in the backline and have McGovern in the fwd pocket beside Curnow.

If Kemp comes in it should be for Williamson.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
ianh wrote:

Saad Weitering Plowman
Newnes Kemp Stocker
Williamson Kennedy Dow
Martin Cripps Silvagni
Jones C Curnow Owies
De Koning E Curnow Walsh

I agree with this but I’d leave Jones in the backline and have McGovern in the fwd pocket beside Curnow.

If Kemp comes in it should be for Williamson.

Marshall vs SOS :yikes:

and if Ryder plays its TDK vs Ryder and marshall. :yikes:

Our midfield group better watch some fooage to learn where the ball will be tapped.

Dunstan in there is hungry

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next