Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:32 am 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
ianh wrote:
Club has said that they will bring back Gov via he 2s so rule him out I guess. honey unlikely to be selected off an injury even if it is now resolved. Harry only an outiside chance so let's assume not. Rule out O'Brien, Parks and Durdin who haven't been showing enough in the 2s to warrant consideration (IMHO) and we are down to our 22 plus 4 emergencies. Three of those would be on debut. Can't see the club doing that all in the one week even if they are picking for development over short term result. Maybe 2 but for the sake of the exercise I will go with what I sspect the club will do and that is 1 and that 1 is Kemp given our need for height. So that puts Ramsay and Carroll as emergencies. I say bring Fogarty back if only because he doesn't carry the stain of being part of last week's debacle. I have seen saying Newnes should go, IMHO he was a candidate for our best (not saying much), similarly SPS put in his most promsing run for a while albeit against a poor baseline and should be given the opportunity to build on that. I have criticism of Newman but again I thought he was one of the best of a bad lot. Fisher disappointed but I am a fan and inclined to give him a chance to redeem himself. Owies has been poor for weeks but I think in Eddiee's absence this is a chance to play him closer to goal and that I think is one of the issues he has had of recent weeks, being pulled too far upfield. Shackle him within 40m and see how he goes. Murphy may as well be helped to his 300th so injury sub for him. That leaves 1 spot down to Cottrell or Williamson. I really want both these guys to make it but I have my doubts on both. Cottrell gives us amazing endurance and that is so valuable but his skills are simply not up to AFL standard. Williamson has the tools but has not been delivering since his injury but also i think the club might be to blae for how he has been used. On balance my inlination is to put him on a wing and tell him to show us what he's got - pace, strong body, long kick, you can do it! Much more upside than Cottrell unless the latter's skils can be fixed, which ain't gonna happen overnight if at all, so give Willo the chance on the wing to cement his spot on the list.

Moving forward plan to blood both Ramsay and Carroll (in that order if 1 at a time) by seasons end as well as bringing in returnees.

The question then becomes who is on the bench and who is where on field. I like to play debutatnts from th opening bell unless they are the type who might benefit from coming in off the bench when a bit of heat has gone out of the game. Helps with the nerves to start them on ground even if they are off in the first rotation. So Kemp starts on ground and in fairness to him put him where he has been playing in the 2s ie defence. Saints don't have a strong presence at CHF and I'd play him at CHB - Hunter probably goes out for Marshall unless Ryder can't com up given the short week in which case it might be Marshall for Ryder which would be a break for us. If so we might be able to spare a key defender if we push Kemp to CHB. Weitering has had some flak for last week but really the ease of delivery into the forward line gave Larkey the ball on a platter - to wax poetical for a moment:

Deliver the ball to a forward that way
And Doull, Southby and SOS in their prime
Merged into one and that one on his day
Could not have got fist to it in time

So do you start him up forward as he finished last week? Or do you play him down back as per usual and on whom? Jones seems the most natural option given height issues but might be needed elsewhere if the Saints play 3 talls forward (plus Membrey) whoever they may be but in that case both he and Jones will be needed back probably along with Kemp and Plowman. Assuming we can spare a tall to push forward I would be inclined to throw Weitering the cahallenge of King and play Jones forward - he has played most of nhis career there albeit as a fringe player, he has genuine height otherwise lacking forward and he provides the best ruck relief to TDK that we have available. I say give it a go - and no I am not expecting Jones to suddenly turn it on as a forward I just think structurally he would add the most if a key defender coukd be freed up to play forward.

Lineup then for me (assuming we an spare a KD to go forward as noted)

Saad Weitering Plowman
Newnes Kemp Stocker
Williamson Kennedy Dow
Martin Cripps Silvagni
Jones C Curnow Owies
De Koning E Curnow Walsh
Fisher Fogarty Newman Petervski-Seton / Murphy (inj sub)
Emergencies Carroll Cottrell Ramsay

I agree with this but I’d leave Jones in the backline and have McGovern in the fwd pocket beside Curnow.

If Kemp comes in it should be for Williamson.

Marshall vs SOS :yikes:

and if Ryder plays its TDK vs Ryder and marshall. :yikes:

Our midfield group better watch some fooage to learn where the ball will be tapped.

Dunstan in there is hungry

If you mids aren’t good enough to rove the opposition rucks then nothing will help. How many times has TDK tapped direct to the opposition?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:41 am 
Bruce Doull

This is a perfect game to watch via Wookie's Carlton-only Highlights Youtube channel, may it rest in peace.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

ianh wrote:
Club has said that they will bring back Gov via he 2s so rule him out I guess. honey unlikely to be selected off an injury even if it is now resolved. Harry only an outiside chance so let's assume not. Rule out O'Brien, Parks and Durdin who haven't been showing enough in the 2s to warrant consideration (IMHO) and we are down to our 22 plus 4 emergencies. Three of those would be on debut. Can't see the club doing that all in the one week even if they are picking for development over short term result. Maybe 2 but for the sake of the exercise I will go with what I sspect the club will do and that is 1 and that 1 is Kemp given our need for height. So that puts Ramsay and Carroll as emergencies. I say bring Fogarty back if only because he doesn't carry the stain of being part of last week's debacle. I have seen saying Newnes should go, IMHO he was a candidate for our best (not saying much), similarly SPS put in his most promsing run for a while albeit against a poor baseline and should be given the opportunity to build on that. I have criticism of Newman but again I thought he was one of the best of a bad lot. Fisher disappointed but I am a fan and inclined to give him a chance to redeem himself. Owies has been poor for weeks but I think in Eddiee's absence this is a chance to play him closer to goal and that I think is one of the issues he has had of recent weeks, being pulled too far upfield. Shackle him within 40m and see how he goes. Murphy may as well be helped to his 300th so injury sub for him. That leaves 1 spot down to Cottrell or Williamson. I really want both these guys to make it but I have my doubts on both. Cottrell gives us amazing endurance and that is so valuable but his skills are simply not up to AFL standard. Williamson has the tools but has not been delivering since his injury but also i think the club might be to blae for how he has been used. On balance my inlination is to put him on a wing and tell him to show us what he's got - pace, strong body, long kick, you can do it! Much more upside than Cottrell unless the latter's skils can be fixed, which ain't gonna happen overnight if at all, so give Willo the chance on the wing to cement his spot on the list.

Moving forward plan to blood both Ramsay and Carroll (in that order if 1 at a time) by seasons end as well as bringing in returnees.

The question then becomes who is on the bench and who is where on field. I like to play debutatnts from th opening bell unless they are the type who might benefit from coming in off the bench when a bit of heat has gone out of the game. Helps with the nerves to start them on ground even if they are off in the first rotation. So Kemp starts on ground and in fairness to him put him where he has been playing in the 2s ie defence. Saints don't have a strong presence at CHF and I'd play him at CHB - Hunter probably goes out for Marshall unless Ryder can't com up given the short week in which case it might be Marshall for Ryder which would be a break for us. If so we might be able to spare a key defender if we push Kemp to CHB. Weitering has had some flak for last week but really the ease of delivery into the forward line gave Larkey the ball on a platter - to wax poetical for a moment:

So do you start him up forward as he finished last week? Or do you play him down back as per usual and on whom? Jones seems the most natural option given height issues but might be needed elsewhere if the Saints play 3 talls forward (plus Membrey) whoever they may be but in that case both he and Jones will be needed back probably along with Kemp and Plowman. Assuming we can spare a tall to push forward I would be inclined to throw Weitering the cahallenge of King and play Jones forward - he has played most of nhis career there albeit as a fringe player, he has genuine height otherwise lacking forward and he provides the best ruck relief to TDK that we have available. I say give it a go - and no I am not expecting Jones to suddenly turn it on as a forward I just think structurally he would add the most if a key defender coukd be freed up to play forward.

Saad Weitering Plowman
Newnes Kemp Stocker
Williamson Kennedy Dow
Martin Cripps Silvagni
Jones C Curnow Owies
De Koning E Curnow Walsh

Agree with others: Good, thoughtful post.
If we have to take KPD to the forward line, Jones is the obvious one. I even reckon he would pull out a one-off good performance before the defenders work him out plus good ruck relief, which is where he began his resurrection in the VFL.

If McGovern is genuinely fit, i'd bring him in. But if he can't run, then forget it. He is not actually very tall so his only value is if he can run and jump. And to do that, he would need to be able to do multiple leads.
If Charlie is genuinely feeling confidant, then fine, let him play. But I'd lean towards giving him another week in the VFL (proper) just to feel the ball and movement a bit more. Then bring him in for the last 3 rounds.
Weitering has a big task on a confident and firing King. I will back Weitering to win that battle after last week but he is no chance unless the rest of the team does its part. I reckon King will kick one or two early (probably an easy one over the back or similar) but then Weitering will shut him down for the rest of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Why would they bring back McGovern via the VFL and play Charlie in the senior side?
Charlie hasn't played a senior game in 2 years, whereas McGovern has played some.
Seems weird to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
ianh wrote:

Saad Weitering Plowman
Newnes Kemp Stocker
Williamson Kennedy Dow
Martin Cripps Silvagni
Jones C Curnow Owies
De Koning E Curnow Walsh

Agree with others: Good, thoughtful post.
If we have to take KPD to the forward line, Jones is the obvious one. I even reckon he would pull out a one-off good performance before the defenders work him out plus good ruck relief, which is where he began his resurrection in the VFL.

If McGovern is genuinely fit, i'd bring him in. But if he can't run, then forget it. He is not actually very tall so his only value is if he can run and jump. And to do that, he would need to be able to do multiple leads.
If Charlie is genuinely feeling confidant, then fine, let him play. But I'd lean towards giving him another week in the VFL (proper) just to feel the ball and movement a bit more. Then bring him in for the last 3 rounds.
Weitering has a big task on a confident and firing King. I will back Weitering to win that battle after last week but he is no chance unless the rest of the team does its part. I reckon King will kick one or two early (probably an easy one over the back or similar) but then Weitering will shut him down for the rest of the game.

Jones should have played forward last week.
You can't go into a game without a genuine key forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teagues-blues-labelled-disgraceful-as-they-take-another-huge-step-backwards/news-story/bdaa6080f6461ec14661abeea824cdbc

Quote:
The 17-player injury list could force Teague’s hand to finally turn to youth in the final month, with Carlton so far unveiling just one debutant (Luke Parks) in 2021 — the equal-fewest in the competition along with Melbourne and Gold Coast.

First-round pick Brodie Kemp, who was drafted midway through recovery from a knee reconstruction, is in the mix to play his first AFL game.

I'd rather have some stronger bodies picked than the mentally weak, unskilled and insipid tacklers selected last week.

We have to select underdone or last week's disappointments because of the injury list.

Therefore

McGovern: he has a month to prove his worth on any AFL after the media scrutiny he has faced last 2 years
Charlie: jumping out of his skin ready would be a much better full forward than anyone selected last week
Harry: looked to be running well from limited footage I saw of him last night.
Kemp: he is ahead of Williamson in every way, Cottrell ditto and Parks, probably add Newman to that too for a start in the last line in defense. Most likely a better intercept mark than Plow too.

I would select all the above to straighten and stiffen us up.

Can't be any worse than last week's line up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

OUT: Williams, Betts (injured), Williamson, Cottrell (ommitted), if Harry plays omit any of Newman or SPS.

IN: Charlie, Gov, Kemp, Honey and Harry if he's ok to play.

B: Kemp Weitering Stocker
HB: Saad Jones Plowman
C: Curnow Cripps Newnes
R: DeKoning Walsh Dow
HF: Fisher SOS Martin
FF: Owies Curnow Kennedy

IC: Newman SPS Honey McGovern.

If Harry plays drop any one of the IC other than Honey.

Looks OK.
Can't get my hopes high with this team regardless of what's on the line.
Selected teams this year (and last) have proven to be mentally brittle

Fisher SPS Newman Newnes playing for their careers unless their papers are already stamped.
Why select them in that case? The cubboard is bare and OBrien is in the same boat.

Martin and Plowman playing for their reputation, and Martin, might be playing for his spot on the list. :sly:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
OUT: Williams, Betts (injured), Williamson, Cottrell (ommitted), if Harry plays omit any of Newman or SPS.

Looks OK.

Fisher SPS Newman Newnes playing for their careers unless their papers are already stamped.
Why select them in that case? The cupboard is bare and OBrien is in the same boat.

Martin and Plowman playing for their reputation, and Martin, might be playing for his spot on the list. :sly:

Second ruck depends if both Ryder and Marshall play.
If both play the rotating ruck will be Jones.
If Ryder isn't selected (only 5 day break) then SOS can rotate in ruck against Hunter if he's selected.

Have to win or break even in the midfield.
Ratten backs his midfield group to go head to head, but Steele has been known to tag Cripps in the past.

Fingers crossed Cripps plays with the fury to couple with his power to win the contested ball....and dish it off, not take on all comers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:35 pm 
Bert Deacon

as usual all the common names get mentioned last 2 weeks had poor games but no plowman how does this bloke do it.i know we have injuries but he needs to lift big time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Looks OK.

Why select them in that case? The cupboard is bare and OBrien is in the same boat.

If Ryder isn't selected (only 5 day break) then SOS can rotate in ruck against Hunter if he's selected.

Ratten backs his midfield group to go head to head, but Steele has been known to tag Cripps in the past.

Fingers crossed Cripps plays with the fury to couple with his power to win the contested ball....and dish it off, not take on all comers.

Steele to tag Cripps? I don't think Crippa is currently damaging enough to warrant a tag!
If anyone requires a tag it is Walsh but , again, I don't think we command the level of fear to warrant a tag at all.
If anything, we should tag Steele!

As usual, I will want to win the match. But I am more concerned about the approach and attitude at this stage. But I also think that we have enough evidence from this whole year, when it still mattered, to deduce what we need to do, who belongs or doesn't etc...
I think it is mostly too late for the last 4 weeks to determine our team's or players' futures. We know enough already.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Looks OK.

Steele to tag Cripps? I don't think Crippa is currently damaging enough to warrant a tag!
If anyone requires a tag it is Walsh but , again, I don't think we command the level of fear to warrant a tag at all.
If anything, we should tag Steele!

As usual, I will want to win the match. But I am more concerned about the approach and attitude at this stage. But I also think that we have enough evidence from this whole year, when it still mattered, to deduce what we need to do, who belongs or doesn't etc...
I think it is mostly too late for the last 4 weeks to determine our team's or players' futures. We know enough already.

Agree with all points

Re Cripps tag raised because it has happened but Ratten usually prefers backing his midfield group to do their own thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

What a strange position we are in as supporters!
Hard to know how to feel or what I want beyond things to get better!
I realise things are never as bad (or as good) as they seem. But I find myself on such an emotional rollercoaster this season!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

H and Charlie named …

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:25 pm 
Robert Walls

LOB
Harry
Charlie
Honey

FOR

Eddie
Williams
Cottrell
SPS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:29 pm 
Banned

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

Honey gets a game
Why O’Brien and not Ramsay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Honey gets a game

The question should be why Plowman not Kemp???
If your gonna drop SPS for 1 sub par game then what's Plowman or Newman's excuse.
Another week another selection NON integrity.
If anyone is expecting a different result good luck.
The lack of accountability on Senior players is nothing short of disgraceful.
The senior players will continue to take short cuts coz they know deep down whatever mistakes or lack of effort given then they will not be dropped.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

Couldn't give a stuff about this game after the limp effort last week but those changes have picked me up a bit. Very happy with them.

Eddie and Williams we all knew would be out. Cottrell is an absolute hack and I've been lamenting his constant place in the team while other players like Honey and O'Brien (among other) can't get a chance, so I'm very happy to see them get a crack.

As for Samo, I'm one of his biggest fans and feel Teague's insistence to play him in the backline when he is clearly out of sorts there has been borderline criminal, but some of his efforts on the weekend were inexcusable. He's been given the chance to play through the middle and he's proving me wrong. What he put up on the weekend was piss weak and he had to be dropped.

Harry and Charlie in together in the same side is obviously super exciting. Along with JSOS, the optimist in me sees a future premiership forward line there. Stlll need an elite small forward to replace Eddie though

EDIT

Not sure how Plowman and Newman survive. Would have brought Parks in for either of them just to make a statement

Last edited by jake_h03 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

keogh wrote:
Honey gets a game

Probably want a final look at him before delisting. Ramsay has plenty of time

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:
Why would they bring back McGovern via the VFL and play Charlie in the senior side?
Charlie hasn't played a senior game in 2 years, whereas McGovern has played some.
Seems weird to me.

Charlie has already played 2 weeks in the reserves. I'd say if Gov had done the same they'd probably bring him in too.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next