Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 84  Next

Who should coach us next year?
Brad Scott 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
Michael Voss 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
Mark Williams 11%  11%  [ 11 ]
Don Pyke 22%  22%  [ 21 ]
Danny Daly 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Scott Burns 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Giansiracusa 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Jaymie Graham 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Adam Kingsley 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
Adam Yze 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Nigel Lappin 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Jarrad Schofield 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Steven King 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 97
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:52 pm 
Wayne Johnston

jezzarules wrote:

https://twitter.com/UptheBaggers/status ... 8589334540

https://twitter.com/UptheBaggers/status ... 3535367174

https://twitter.com/UptheBaggers/status ... 3113341961

https://twitter.com/UptheBaggers/status ... 8540866563

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:11 am 
Ken Hunter

Been listening to Leppa on SEN this morning with Whateley. If we don't get Leppa as The Coach I would love him as a Coach and/or somewhere leading the football department.

He spoke at length about the player driven Culture at Brisbane under Mathews (Voss) and at Richmond under Hardwick (Cotchin).

Doubt there has been player driven Culture at Carlton since Parko and Sticks/Braddles/Williams/Dean.

Weitering Capt
Walsh Vice Capt.
Ed Curnow Vice Capt.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 am 
Wayne Johnston

Every coach talks about player driven culture and knows it’s important, I bet Teague has said the same thing at some stage.

The problem is, how can a coach drive player driven culture? I’d suggest this is a player problem, not a coach problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:59 am 
Harry Vallence

Yes it’s the perennial problem, IMO discipline , team culture and competitive attitude attitudes are all paramount, can’t win a game , otherwise.
Just as in any all walks of live there’re talented individuals that have the ability to inspire and produce the qualities , we need in our team and others that simply can’t. Teague is in the latter unfortunately.
Being a nice blokes just doesn’t cut it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:00 am 
Ken Hunter

sinbagger wrote:
Every coach talks about player driven culture and knows it’s important, I bet Teague has said the same thing at some stage.

The problem is, how can a coach drive player driven culture? I’d suggest this is a player problem, not a coach problem.

I guess it depends on if you have the entire Coaching Staff and Football Department onboard promoting the same thing i.e. One Agenda. Any Player Driven Culture needs to be actually taught and nurtured in the youngsters and newbies. You need that core of Senior guys calling the shots and making demands, for all the right reasons. It has to be sold to the Millennials in the right fashion.

I think the loss of Sam Docherty from the field in 2019 and 2020 was a huge loss for player Culture. Sure he was on the sidelines, but he was dealing with his own injuries and health issues. I like Murph but we all know he is miles away from being a Selwood, Voss or Cotchin. In 2019 Weitering and Jonesy were struggling at times and having self doubts. Krueser was physically shot.

I'm not saying the CFC Coaching panel wasn't pushing it but.......there is obviously a disconnect somewhere. The departure of one assistant probably leans towards that fact.

Player Driven Culture needs so many of the right aspects to be in place at the right time. It needs Character, Integrity, Honesty, Commitment, Resilience, Skill and an unwavering Belief by one and all that the road being traveled is the right road for the group.

And on top of that you have to have the Coaching Staff and Football Department providing 100% support, 100% of the time (not just when it suits them)

And on top of that the President and the Board have to do their jobs, STFU, not leak, not bitch, not snipe, not grandstand and above all stay out of the way when things go wrong, and things will go wrong.

It is always 3 steps forward and 2 steps back, so suck it up and hang tough when it is 2 steps back time.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Player driven culture is great if you have the players.

Walls and Parkin had Fitzpatrick, Kernahan, Dean, Dominator. Uncompromising individuals that would never ask something of their team mates that they weren't prepared to do.

If you don't have the players or the staff, then it needs to be a coach driven culture. Done well, this creates individuals that can run a player driven culture in time.

We don't have the players - yet - to drive a player driven culture. Get a coach who is going to build that culture.

I'm not all in on Clarkson, Lyon, Voss, Buckley or anyone in particular. But this group doesn't need any more 'let's just have fun' millennial-satisfying bullshit.

If players leave because of it...Good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:37 pm 
Bob Chitty

bluehammer wrote:
Player driven culture is great if you have the players.

Walls and Parkin had Fitzpatrick, Kernahan, Dean, Dominator. Uncompromising individuals that would never ask something of their team mates that they weren't prepared to do.

If you don't have the players or the staff, then it needs to be a coach driven culture. Done well, this creates individuals that can run a player driven culture in time.

We don't have the players - yet - to drive a player driven culture. Get a coach who is going to build that culture.

I'm not all in on Clarkson, Lyon, Voss, Buckley or anyone in particular. But this group doesn't need any more 'let's just have fun' millennial-satisfying bullshit.

If players leave because of it...Good.

Great post Bluehammer
I wish we currently had the players to drive culture but they have shown time and time again that they can’t. The losing and bad habits have been handed down from experienced players to inexperienced players for the best part of 20 years. That’s not to say we don’t have players who set relatively high standards for themselves but we don’t have enough and they haven’t been able to influence the rest of the group.
Completely agree we need a coach who can set standards and drive a culture. I can only assume Teague has tried but it’s not improving. Time for someone who the players respect but also fear if they don’t do the right thing. A coach who can weed out players who are detrimental to a culture that completely prioritises winning

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

I'm no expert but personally, I think Steve Silvagni is too old to bask in the ball movement of any coach.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:29 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Yes we need a culture drive...argh, culture.

But helps if the captain can hit a target.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

I'm no expert but personally, I think Steve Silvagni is too old to bask in the ball movement of any coach.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The club as really made a cluster @#$%&! of this and I can't see how they move forward looking at the options
they will not select an untried coach the risk is to great

Clarkson -would look at Pagan and Malthouse and talk to Bolton he is to ego driven to have his named tarnished being another failed coach at Carlton
Scott- could be an option but does he really want to if you listen to his brother you would say No and the Pies are the more likely club to take him
Lyon - I think he would love the job but he is mates with SOS and I can't see him at the club with Liddle they are two totally different people and it would not work. You can't have a bloke like Lyon working with a Woke like Liddle it is a recipe for disaster
Leppa - maybe a good talker on radio but has publicly stated he doesn't want to coach
Pyke - If he doesn't end up at Collingwood I would be surprised
Teague - It is quite clear he needs help but is you were an assistant would you want to work under Teague - assistants want to learn from the best - Teague needs a mentor but the mentor with out capable assistants is a waste of time.
Buckley - I just can't see him at Carlton - I think he would be good but I just can't see it happening

My gut feel right now is Teague might survive at least one more year but if it continues like it is we will have wasted another year

But who knows really - Might have to drift over to Big Footy and get the ITK from there

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:50 am 
Banned

They shouldn't have made the review so public. It came across as panicky and idiotic - holding off till end of season wouldn't have hurt anyone.

Clubs money down the drain and hope Sayers pays for it out of his own pocket.

It was disruptive to the whole footy dept when they had to focus on their work - it was pathetic putting people in the lime light to ridicule and humiliate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:09 pm 
Harry Vallence

I hope Sayers activates changes soon , our club is moribund and next few game results will are dampen the moods further.
Our administration is too laconic, supporters have been putting their hard earned money into the club for very little satisfaction, it’s not the time to appear smiling at the media, as MLG & Liddell seem to like to do .
Hopefully with the scrutiny & analysis the club is receiving it will wake up it’s ideas ,a little and make the changes , our wilderness has been deafening for far too long.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree BM
Don’t agree Walsh about making Review public imagine the pressure on now with recent inept failings against North and GC if supporters didn’t have any idea that a review was happening

The pressure would be enormous pressure already significant now even though review announced

Also by announcing review early gave coach and players an opportiniy to improve and show there was no dysfunction and that we were on the right track alas both coach and players demonstrated for all to see that the present arrangements only lead to more of the same significant underperformance

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

I'm not in favor of publishing the Review.

It just gives fodder for the muck rakers and media wanna-be's. No need to have peoples heads on sticks just to satisfy some supporter 'I told you so', blood lust. It just destroys and denigrates the Brand and sponsors don't need to get trashed.

An office of 150 is always going to have grudges and axes to grind. Not all 40 players will get along within and without.

The crux of the review from the players will fall into some simple categories.

Do you understand the game plan
Do you have faith in the game plan
Are your Coaches improving your performance week in week out
Do you have faith in your Coaches
Do you feel you are being provided with the necessary data and physical conditioning to match it with best in the AFL.

Regardless as to whether the answers are yes or no the next question is always 'Why'. The Why is where all the real answers are found. The articulation in response to Why will display if the reasoning is fact/fiction or merely personal sour grapes.

It's not rocket science to elicit those answers. 90% of the issues will revolve around 'Lack of Communication.' It always does.

After 40 years in the Workforce, IMHO, the simple question..........'Do you understand those instructions?' is never actually asked enough directly of those receiving the instructions.

Sayer's and the CEO read the review, take on board the recommendations and either adjust accordingly. Either accept or don't, based on what the Board thinks is best for the Club. Yes that sounds naive, but I think that is the best you are going to get.

If the Review says 'The Board should spill', well that's never going to happen, so dream on if your fingers are crossed.

Honestly, what is the most the review can suggest?

Remove/move and or/replace person A in position Z for B in Z, etc, etc.

The recommendation may be to bring in some experts in the areas of J, K, L and M. Yep can be done, but with the AFL Soft cap in play, there will be trade offs. You pay peanuts you get Monkeys.

Once people in power start getting the 'Don't come Monday' letters, we will soon read about it.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:40 pm 
Banned

Good post Cazzesman - I will also add in the Adelaide review the recommendations were add leadership here add that role there.

Thats what we have known of that review. Sydney had one last year after coming fifth last and no one heard about it but I think it would have been add a senior assistant.

In Carlton's case - need a Football Director, Coaching Director, Senior Assistant.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sorry in case I didn’t make myself clear I am happy that at Round 10 we announced we were having a review that is different from when the review is finalised it is disclosed to the public lock stock and barrel

I think the announcement of the review was good disclosing g ultimately the contents of the review may not be

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We had zero chance of keeping the review quiet. With external participants and as Cazzesman correctly states, people with an axe to grind, it was always going to become a public spectacle.
As for the timing, it couldn't have been better IMHO. The review is completed by seasons end so we can implement changes and move forward into the trade/draft period with the required people in place. Hopefully all the non-performers will be moved on and competent people will fill those roles.
If Teague is doing his job well with the resources available to him, he should have nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

sinbagger wrote:

Sorry but I disagree, especially with a young team.
The coach sets the standards, the players take them on board and then they demand it from their team mates.
He also knows which players to ask to help him drive that culture (non negotiable values).
That's how culture is built, from a strong leader.
We have enough strong senior players to demand the right culture, but Teague can't be their mate and their leader at the same time.
Fast forward 2 years and this is where we are at.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 84  Next