Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:12 am 
Banned

bondiblue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Cripps used to win 20 clearances all up in a game?

Wow........

Shit loss - but somewhat expected. No training session to train and plan without key position players.

We just have to soldier on and yeah I support the boys - not their fault drafting and recruiting has been poor.

Allright, I'm pissed off with him.

Should have said it from the outset....contested possessions that connected with a team mate....now its 8 and the handballs don't hit his team mate.

Yep - his tackling and contested possessions are not where they used to be and in a funk for some reason. Should get it back soon though he is top quality. One player I won't write off.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:54 am 
Craig Bradley

Cons:

Horrible coaching performance. We saw an idiocy of the defensive set ups from earlier in the year where we leave our defensive 50 almost completely vacant. Where North crowded our forward 50, we decided to make it easy for the opposition to score. Any chance Teague could work out that Stephenson thrives in space and dreads congestion. He'd love to play us every week. Also North's one tall forward, Larkey, is a leading forward. It's not hard, coach. Keep some players behind the ball.
Killed out of centre breaks again.
Outtackled.
Inaccuracy and wasted opportunities.
Umpires only seemed to want to play holding the ball against Carlton players.
2nd week in a row Weitering has been exposed on a leading forward.
Plowman and Williamson also had shockers.
I know Murphy only played a half, but he looked timid and uninterested. Not sure how we're going to get him to 300.

Pros:

Newnes and Martin.
Fisher got 4 shots at goal.
Cripps kicked well for goal.
Dow looked good, even if he kept kicking it straight to the opposition.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:03 am 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
Their strength is our weakness. Their midfield smashed ours and when you look at their players standing up in tackles or Goldstein giving them silver service for easy clearances, the loss wasn't unexpected.
We've lost 5 of our previous 6 games to North by an average of 58 points. (Not including yesterday) It's why I absolutely expected us to lose and stated so here. (In fact, I rarely bet but I put $500 on North as the odds were stupid)

For those advocating Clarkson, let's not forget Hawthorn also lost to North with far fewer injuries than we have.

We needed a counter to their strength and we didn't have it. Not because of coaching but because of personnel. We were smashed in the midfield, the 6,6,6 didn't give us an opportunity to protect our back half and when we won the ball in defence, a lack of a tall target robbed us of an opportunity to move the ball forward.
So we tried to widen the ground, chip the ball forward and hit up short targets. The trouble is when you want your players to have constant movement, to lose their opponents and to create space, it's easy transition for the opposition when you turn the ball over.
Look at Norths scoring profile yesterday. Most of their goals were coming from our forward half. We had no defensive integrity when we turned it over.

I know some posters wont listen and we're all hurting but taking out the frustration on Teague and calling for his head achieves nothing. Let the review run it's course. Let yesterdays game be properly scrutinised and we can make informed decisions based on the outcome. Does anyone truly believe a different coach would have made a big difference yesterday?
It's personnel that would have mattered. Any of Harry, Curnow, Casboult, McGovern, Pittonet. A couple of our talls would have made a huge difference. We needed structure to compete in the middle. TDK will be a player but he's a boy and Goldstein was always going to take him apart. We needed structure to compete in the air so our smalls could have a reference point coming into the front half. As I said elsewhere, the loss of Harry was the eventual tipping point and it played out as I expected.

None of us will know the outcome of the review BV other than possible sackings.

I’m happy to wait til seasons end because sacking DT now offers nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:04 am 
Harry Vallence

Centre clearances are a huge concern. Particularly with the 6x6x6 rule.

Needs to be addressed over the summer, whether it’s getting the right combination in there or the ruck work needs to improve.

Can’t have our back 6 continually under pressure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:06 am 
Bruce Doull

Stefchook wrote:
Cripps kicked well for goal.

Shit loss but that banana kick was something else.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:10 am 
Craig Bradley

Sad, but I suspect Weitering has lost any chance of being all-Australian.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:12 am 
Geoff Southby

The personal isn’t there
It’s recruiting
I keep saying it
We need to start again

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:13 am 
Rod Ashman

Walsh wrote:

Wow........

Shit loss - but somewhat expected. No training session to train and plan without key position players.

We just have to soldier on and yeah I support the boys - not their fault drafting and recruiting has been poor.

Why are you waiting till it happens to plan for it?

It’s not solely Teague’s fault but it certainly his responsibility.

His game plan is unsustainable and his inability to change will be his demise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:50 am 
Wayne Johnston

Walsh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Wow........

Should have said it from the outset....contested possessions that connected with a team mate....now its 8 and the handballs don't hit his team mate.

Yep - his tackling and contested possessions are not where they used to be and in a funk for some reason. Should get it back soon though he is top quality. One player I won't write off.

We’ve been waiting for “soon” for more than 2 years already, another few years of “soon” and it will be a Murphy situation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

No more reasons and excuses.
Everyone knows why we lost.
We have no brains or heart, hard to win.
My god it’s very hard to watch.
Just look at us, maybe a couple of players have any real physicality, silvagni and stocker, that is it.
We are a timid and weak team that gets pushed and intimidated every game.
Look at our big guys they have no intimidation qualities what so ever, they have never creamed anyone, split a pack apart and are forever getting pushed off the ball.
The only thing remaining is to request the cats handbags and the ensemble is complete.

The better teams beat us because we No more reasons and excuses.
Everyone knows why we lost.
We have no brains or heart, hard to win.
My god it’s very hard to watch.
Just look at us, maybe a couple of players have any real physicality, silvagni and stocker, that is it.
We are a timid and weak team that gets pushed and intimidated every game.
Look at our big guys they have no intimidation qualities what so ever, they have never creamed anyone, split a pack apart and are forever getting pushed off the ball.
The better teams beat us because we know we cannot match it with them and the crap teams beat us because they play harder than us.
The only thing remaining is to request the cats handbags and the ensemble is complete.

We will be crap side until we have a coach that isnt timid and doesnt take shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:24 pm 
Robert Walls

Our plan going forward seem to be: bomb it long if there's no obvious option. Create a contest deep. Don't get out-marked if you can - bring the ball to ground. If the small forwards aren't able to score, then generate a stoppage. Try and score from the stoppage. Set up defensively outside 50 for the quick clearing kick, and generate repeat entries.

But the problem is that our smalls rarely score from forward-50 stoppages, and if the opposition can get clean possession, our half-forwards aren't switched on enough to chase their defenders. Which means the opposition can generate run from half-back and go over our defensive set-up outside fifty. That's why we get caught out the back so often.

That's how North got us. They had numerous un-pressured disposals in their defensive 50 and were able to play through our set up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

Good post BV and let the review run its course but given the season we are entitled to be disappointed with the effort yesterday and for the season

Yes hit the tipping point with personnel yesterday but the margin and lack of effort is damning

The review will hopefully be in respect to all matches for the whole season and therefore can’t use excuse of personnel in WC game PA game GWS game and first collingwood game
In my view team has underperformed this year with its talent base and the deficiencies of last season were not rectified over the preseason -that is on the coach

I will live with the clubs decision re the coach and his future but he is treading on thin ice and we would need to see much more commitment despite personnel an introduction of several new players and more innovation and better game plan or execution of it
No one doesn’t want him to succeed but there are serious questions and rightfully so about his capacity to do the job
Whether anyone else can do it with this dysfunctional group is another

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm 
Ken Hands

As Crippa and Teague have said , as long as we have fun at training, all is good in the world . Sums up where this club is at atm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Wow........

Ditto.

OK, I take note you do see the shortfalls.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:

Most of the game Weitering wasn't on Larkey.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:18 pm 
Bruce Comben

If there was any game to select Josh Honey, this was the game. The fact that he still can’t get picked with such a massive injury list just doesn’t make any sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:34 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
Stefchook wrote:

For instance the last quarter when he played full forward.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

frank dardew wrote:
Good post BV and let the review run its course but given the season we are entitled to be disappointed with the effort yesterday and for the season

Yes hit the tipping point with personnel yesterday but the margin and lack of effort is damning

The review will hopefully be in respect to all matches for the whole season and therefore can’t use excuse of personnel in WC game PA game GWS game and first collingwood game
In my view team has underperformed this year with its talent base and the deficiencies of last season were not rectified over the preseason -that is on the coach

I will live with the clubs decision re the coach and his future but he is treading on thin ice and we would need to see much more commitment despite personnel an introduction of several new players and more innovation and better game plan or execution of it
No one doesn’t want him to succeed but there are serious questions and rightfully so about his capacity to do the job
Whether anyone else can do it with this dysfunctional group is another

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Their strength is our weakness. Their midfield smashed ours and when you look at their players standing up in tackles or Goldstein giving them silver service for easy clearances, the loss wasn't unexpected.
We've lost 5 of our previous 6 games to North by an average of 58 points. (Not including yesterday) It's why I absolutely expected us to lose and stated so here. (In fact, I rarely bet but I put $500 on North as the odds were stupid)

For those advocating Clarkson, let's not forget Hawthorn also lost to North with far fewer injuries than we have.

We needed a counter to their strength and we didn't have it. Not because of coaching but because of personnel. We were smashed in the midfield, the 6,6,6 didn't give us an opportunity to protect our back half and when we won the ball in defence, a lack of a tall target robbed us of an opportunity to move the ball forward.
So we tried to widen the ground, chip the ball forward and hit up short targets. The trouble is when you want your players to have constant movement, to lose their opponents and to create space, it's easy transition for the opposition when you turn the ball over.
Look at Norths scoring profile yesterday. Most of their goals were coming from our forward half. We had no defensive integrity when we turned it over.

I know some posters wont listen and we're all hurting but taking out the frustration on Teague and calling for his head achieves nothing. Let the review run it's course. Let yesterdays game be properly scrutinised and we can make informed decisions based on the outcome. Does anyone truly believe a different coach would have made a big difference yesterday?
It's personnel that would have mattered. Any of Harry, Curnow, Casboult, McGovern, Pittonet. A couple of our talls would have made a huge difference. We needed structure to compete in the middle. TDK will be a player but he's a boy and Goldstein was always going to take him apart. We needed structure to compete in the air so our smalls could have a reference point coming into the front half. As I said elsewhere, the loss of Harry was the eventual tipping point and it played out as I expected.

I would have thought coaching has something to do with that…

We’ve had no defensive integrity from the second Teague took over, and the metrics reflect that!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Stefchook wrote:

For instance the last quarter when he played full forward.

Perhaps that's because he was being towelled up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next