Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:49 am 
Robert Walls

bluechampion wrote:
Round 19

Carlton v North Melbourne

Marvel Stadium

Saturday 24 July, 1:45PM

Backs: Adam Saad - Liam Jones - Nic Newman
Half-backs: Lachie Plowman - Jacob Weitering - Zac Williams
Centreline: Ed Curnow - Patrick Cripps - Sam Walsh
Half-forwards: Jack Newnes - Jack Martin - Jack Silvagni
Forwards: Zac Fisher - Harry McKay - Eddie Betts
Followers: Tom De Koning - Paddy Dow - Matthew Kennedy

Interchange: Liam Stocker - Sam Petrevski-Seton - Tom Williamson - Matthew Cottrell

Emergencies: Brodie Kemp - Matthew Owies - Marc Murphy - Lochie O'Brien

IN: Cripps

OUT: Owies (managed)

To my mind, there's a bit of 'late change' about the selections.

Geez, that half forward line is looking "Jacked".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:26 am 
Rod Ashman

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
If Kemp is getting a game, why is he ahead of Ramsay and Honey?

All 3 deserve it but Ramsay and Honey have been knocking on the door for longer?

Maybe any late change is on the backline?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:27 am 
Rod Ashman

Walsh wrote:
One deep tall and three half sized half forwards that roam from position

It will drive Norfs half back line nuts. Filth had no answer to it second half of game they were just running everywhere in all directions from what I saw on TV as there was no key target.

Would love to see this one live hope we get to see Saints game live.

I hope so :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:05 am 
Harry Vallence

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
If Kemp is getting a game, why is he ahead of Ramsay and Honey?

All 3 deserve it but Ramsay and Honey have been knocking on the door for longer?

Selection integrity hasn't mattered for 2 years under David.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mil Hanna wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
Round 19

Carlton v North Melbourne

Marvel Stadium

Saturday 24 July, 1:45PM

Backs: Adam Saad - Liam Jones - Nic Newman
Half-backs: Lachie Plowman - Jacob Weitering - Zac Williams
Centreline: Ed Curnow - Patrick Cripps - Sam Walsh
Half-forwards: Jack Newnes - Jack Martin - Jack Silvagni
Forwards: Zac Fisher - Harry McKay - Eddie Betts
Followers: Tom De Koning - Paddy Dow - Matthew Kennedy

Interchange: Liam Stocker - Sam Petrevski-Seton - Tom Williamson - Matthew Cottrell

Emergencies: Brodie Kemp - Matthew Owies - Marc Murphy - Lochie O'Brien

IN: Cripps

OUT: Owies (managed)

To my mind, there's a bit of 'late change' about the selections.

Geez, that half forward line is looking "Jacked".

Carlton have the Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Last week we won it for Serge.

This week we win it for Ed. Respect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I agree Bondi that Ed has been a great tagger but let's not undervalue the job Kennedy did on Adams last week.
He was disciplined and smart by negating Adams' ability to get to the ball and then Kennedy won more than his own share of it. It was an effort that most of our other mids should take notice of. He should get first crack at Cunnington this week. Plus his size will make it a decent match up.
Simpkin is the other midfield problem. He's winning heaps of ball and he's a good runner. Perhaps let him and Walsh go head to head and monitor it.
Goldstein will be our biggest headache. He's playing great footy and he always performs well against us.

Game style will be interesting. I've really liked our strategies over the past month. I don't know if it's the influence of Luke Power, if the assistants are getting more input or Teague has wised up but whatever the case, we're playing much better footy.
Our defensive mechanisms are far better (defensive communication, connection and willingness, getting back to assist the defence and in turn, giving our running defenders more opportunity), we are not being so one dimensional with our forward entries (it's not Harry or nothing), our contest work is far smarter (players are now pairing off outside the stoppages instead of everyone going in for the ball, finally!)

The one improvement I want to see is not going back to the old ways because Cripps comes back. We saw last week how using better runners in the middle improves our midfield. That shouldn't change this week. Short, sharp midfield rotations so the 2 way workrate can be maintained. Cripps come into a midfield rotation. He doesn't overwhelm it.

As I've said, I don't want Teague to be sacked. I just want him to be more flexible and contemporary in his approach. Over the past month, we've finally seen it come out. It has to continue.
This will be a huge challenge for us. North always match up well on us. There contested stuff is very good.
Let's see if the coaches hold their nerve and don't go back to looking for individual saviours instead of staying the recent course.

Well thought out post BV.

Kennedy's return to the team has produced 5 really good games, even in the losses against Eagles and Cats (we should've won).
He's proven himself as a mainstay of the midfield group. Kennedy is 5cm taller and probably slightly heavier than Cunington, so he matches up well.

Quote:
Short, sharp midfield rotations so the 2 way work rate can be maintained. Cripps come into a midfield rotation. He doesn't overwhelm it.
THIS.

Really poignant that Cripps doesn't overwhelm. I like that word. He needs to compliment. They all do.

Agree Walsh and Simpkin go head to head.

I like Ed's running role on the wing. You didn't mention Ed's role other than allude to no need to tag to start with, and let Kennedy go head to head with Cunington. Leave Ed on a wing?

Ed had an interesting role on the weekend against Collingwood, Bondi. He didn't play wing, nor did he go into the midfield.
He played a half forward role as a part of a seemingly restructured forward strategy that doesn't rely solely on Harry.
Between Ed, JSOS and Jack Martin, they took 25 marks. Without attending the game, it appeared Ed was used as an outlet kick from the back half. Due to his hard running capabilities.
He also blocked off the switch kicks and 45 degree short kicks into the corridor. He rarely pushed up into stoppages except in the forward 50, instead covering the Pies defenders and not allowing them to run off for the handball.

To my eyes, it was another case of the coaches employing strategies that are significantly different to how we've played the first 2 years under Teague. Too often we have used a Harry or nothing strategy going forward. Now, (like last week in the midfield), we are sharing the load and we're much better for it. We're less predictable (which makes us harder to defend) and we're increasing our avenues to goal. Ed was playing to his strengths. He ran hard, created space and put us inside 50. (7 inside 50's, a game high)

So in the past few weeks, our team defensive structure and application has significantly improved, our forward structure has significantly changed/improved and due to injury, our midfield set up changed completely. (for the better)
All major changes and all significant improvements. My only question is, where the @#$%&! was this in the previous 50 games?

If the current trend continues, Teague has greatly improved his chances of keeping his job. Not because of win/loss but because of how we're structured. The job for the review panel is to see how and from who the changes have occurred.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

Danger game (as they all are). North's form hasn't been too bad since the bye.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I agree Bondi that Ed has been a great tagger but let's not undervalue the job Kennedy did on Adams last week.
He was disciplined and smart by negating Adams' ability to get to the ball and then Kennedy won more than his own share of it. It was an effort that most of our other mids should take notice of. He should get first crack at Cunnington this week. Plus his size will make it a decent match up.
Simpkin is the other midfield problem. He's winning heaps of ball and he's a good runner. Perhaps let him and Walsh go head to head and monitor it.
Goldstein will be our biggest headache. He's playing great footy and he always performs well against us.

Game style will be interesting. I've really liked our strategies over the past month. I don't know if it's the influence of Luke Power, if the assistants are getting more input or Teague has wised up but whatever the case, we're playing much better footy.
Our defensive mechanisms are far better (defensive communication, connection and willingness, getting back to assist the defence and in turn, giving our running defenders more opportunity), we are not being so one dimensional with our forward entries (it's not Harry or nothing), our contest work is far smarter (players are now pairing off outside the stoppages instead of everyone going in for the ball, finally!)

The one improvement I want to see is not going back to the old ways because Cripps comes back. We saw last week how using better runners in the middle improves our midfield. That shouldn't change this week. Short, sharp midfield rotations so the 2 way workrate can be maintained. Cripps come into a midfield rotation. He doesn't overwhelm it.

As I've said, I don't want Teague to be sacked. I just want him to be more flexible and contemporary in his approach. Over the past month, we've finally seen it come out. It has to continue.
This will be a huge challenge for us. North always match up well on us. There contested stuff is very good.
Let's see if the coaches hold their nerve and don't go back to looking for individual saviours instead of staying the recent course.

Well thought out post BV.

Kennedy's return to the team has produced 5 really good games, even in the losses against Eagles and Cats (we should've won).
He's proven himself as a mainstay of the midfield group. Kennedy is 5cm taller and probably slightly heavier than Cunington, so he matches up well.

Quote:
Short, sharp midfield rotations so the 2 way work rate can be maintained. Cripps come into a midfield rotation. He doesn't overwhelm it.
THIS.

Really poignant that Cripps doesn't overwhelm. I like that word. He needs to compliment. They all do.

Agree Walsh and Simpkin go head to head.

I like Ed's running role on the wing. You didn't mention Ed's role other than allude to no need to tag to start with, and let Kennedy go head to head with Cunington. Leave Ed on a wing?

Ed had an interesting role on the weekend against Collingwood, Bondi. He didn't play wing, nor did he go into the midfield.
He played a half forward role as a part of a seemingly restructured forward strategy that doesn't rely solely on Harry.
Between Ed, JSOS and Jack Martin, they took 25 marks. Without attending the game, it appeared Ed was used as an outlet kick from the back half. Due to his hard running capabilities.
He also blocked off the switch kicks and 45 degree short kicks into the corridor. He rarely pushed up into stoppages except in the forward 50, instead covering the Pies defenders and not allowing them to run off for the handball.

To my eyes, it was another case of the coaches employing strategies that are significantly different to how we've played the first 2 years under Teague. Too often we have used a Harry or nothing strategy going forward. Now, (like last week in the midfield), we are sharing the load and we're much better for it. We're less predictable (which makes us harder to defend) and we're increasing our avenues to goal. Ed was playing to his strengths. He ran hard, created space and put us inside 50. (7 inside 50's, a game high)

So in the past few weeks, our team defensive structure and application has significantly improved, our forward structure has significantly changed/improved and due to injury, our midfield set up changed completely. (for the better)
All major changes and all significant improvements. My only question is, where the @#$%&! was this in the previous 50 games?

If the current trend continues, Teague has greatly improved his chances of keeping his job. Not because of win/loss but because of how we're structured. The job for the review panel is to see how and from who the changes have occurred.

Bloody hell BV - how did you see that without being at the game. Respect to you my good fella. :razz:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mail is that Harry may not play

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:26 pm 
Craig Bradley

Hope not but thanks Deano

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

deano35 wrote:

Scared of Ben?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:38 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

He's out, Owies in, similar players I guess

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
deano35 wrote:

Scared of Ben?

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/98472 ... orth-clash

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'm looking forward to see how we adapt. Let's see how the coaches step up.
Push back, run the ball, hit up the leads or get goals out the back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Who are we going to bomb to now?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

Why drop Owies (managed) then bring him back in.
Perfect opportunity to play Honey or Kemp but NO let's do the same sh'xxxx
Even Setterfield as a tall forward for something different.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

Damn.

But a big out often throws the opposition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree coaches need to innovate BV and let’s see them earn their money but surely we need to look at fitness and injury management
Gov Cas H Charlie O all injured doesn’t really give you much chance of winning
Tactics will be to revert to 10 years ago kick it to Eddie at CHF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

MPH78 wrote:
Who are we going to bomb to now?

The same person we always have. The oppositions intercept defender.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next