Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:21 pm 
Banned

Cripps is the highest contested possession winner in the team and will be the highest contested possession winner on the ground based on this season average.

Geelong are better at meters gained, disposal efficiency and a far better tackling side. Thats top end team cohesion they know where their team mates are going to run based on line up stability. They connect far better between the lines.

We have close to no chance despite having the best ball winner and uncontested ball winner on the ground. We have a long way to go to reach their level of team cohesion.

They spread far better but we have more potent weapons. Players like SPS, Dow, Martin and Kennedy need to double their tackling pressure for us to have a sneaky chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
Cripps is the highest contested possession winner in the team and will be the highest contested possession winner on the ground based on this season average.

Geelong are better at meters gained, disposal efficiency and a far better tackling side. Thats top end team cohesion they know where their team mates are going to run based on line up stability. They connect far better between the lines.

We have close to no chance despite having the best ball winner and uncontested ball winner on the ground. We have a long way to go to reach their level of team cohesion.

They spread far better but we have more potent weapons. Players like SPS, Dow, Martin and Kennedy need to double their tackling pressure for us to have a sneaky chance.

Why are we losing clearances?

Out of interest, where does he sit against the rest of the comp?

I'm sure Cripps not playing at his best. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Anyway, I think we can spoil their well drilled connections by putting heaps of front on pressure on them like we did last year.
The likelihood of the ball going our way was huge...at least for for 3 quarters. We should be primed for a 4 quarter performance.
The boys keep saying that, so its front of mind.

I think we will mess them up a bit because we are messy, but when we exert pressure we can do it well.

I'm thinking more of the 2nd quarter vs Adelaide. try produce that 15 minute spell but double it, will be nice.

We are looking for the scalp.

What better place than the G.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

17th Premiership wrote:
Nope - we have a history of stuffing up games against opposition missing key players. Takes me right back to 1994 (I think?) finals when Geelong were missing Bairstow, Couch & Hocking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We still owe them for that 94 final !! That game still hurts ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
If Cripps plays I'd like to see him at CHF but my preference is to rest him or at minimum keep him out of the centre.
I'd also like to see Kemp in for Stocker in the backline and Stocker moved onto the ball.
Drop Williamson for Williams and possibly Newnes/Casboult if Crippa is going to play.
It's not a game we are likely to win but it would be good to see Kemp and Stocker played in the above roles, let's see what they've got.

Yeah, nah.

If Cripps plays it has to be as an inside mid who pushes forward when the opportunity presents itself.

I wouldn’t be moving Stocker around while he is settled and performing. He may eventually become a midfielder, but leave him where he is for now.

Time is on Kemp’s side, I see no reason to rush him in. I’d like him to build some consistency before he’s promoted.

If Cripps doesn’t play, I would give E Curnow more time inside working alongside Dow & Kennedy. Williams to HB.

Out - Cripps (inj), Cottrell
In - Williams, Setterfield

Sub - Williamson.

Fisher to come back via the VFL. I feel like he’s missed a lot of footy this year.

The problem is Cripps is pretty ineffective in the middle at the moment, opposition clubs are just letting him run and are tagging Walsh for a reason. Something is wrong we are not privy to.

Stocker is already playing a semi tagging role down back, testing him in the guts would be a good litmus test before end of season to see if he could move there permanently.

Kemp has put some good games together in the VFL as far as I've seen. It might well be rushing him in but then again it might be better for him to have a run and get a feel for what's required in the next level.

I see Stocker as Curnow's replacement, hard footballer that doesn't mind a bit of a hit.

I agree on Fisher, he needs to get some form back.

It's all pointless anyway as I can't see our coach having the balls to mix it up a little and see what's what.

No surprises on selection this week, as per usual.

Last edited by Sidefx on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:

Sounds like a coaching issue then. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Walsh wrote:

We’re losing clearances because the ruck is a non-contest. It’s pretty hard to win the clearance battle when the rucks only provide seven hit outs to advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:32 pm 
Wayne Johnston

aboynamedsue wrote:
Cottrell, Williamson, Fisher & Setterfield the emergencies.

No VFL game this weekend, by the way.

No VFL? Because we didn’t miss enough vfl matches during lockdown? The vfl draw is a joke!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Cottrell, Williamson, Fisher & Setterfield the emergencies.

No VFL game this weekend, by the way.

No VFL? Because we didn’t miss enough vfl matches during lockdown? The vfl draw is a joke!

in all fairness the nsw and qld lockdowns have stuffed it big time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:17 am 
Geoff Southby

azzablue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Nope - we have a history of stuffing up games against opposition missing key players. Takes me right back to 1994 (I think?) finals when Geelong were missing Bairstow, Couch & Hocking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We still owe them for that 94 final !! That game still hurts ...

Ablett snr destroyed Mil Hanna.

But we don't owe them anything. You may not remember the 1995 grand final.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:23 am 
Banned

bondiblue wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Ranked 18th in Contested Possessions per game
Ranked 12th in Centre Clearances per game

He was ranked 1st in 2019 so not at his best but by far our best midfielder. He needs a ruck and playing through injury probably not helping him either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:04 am 
Ken Hunter

and No. of centre clearances attended?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:47 am 
Harry Vallence

Humpers wrote:
Selwood not playing means we are a chance.
Means the free kick count is ten less than it would have been :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:27 am 
Banned

dannyboy wrote:
and No. of centre clearances attended?

Not sure but sure will be nice to have someone like Max Gawn that win 40% of hit outs.

Kreuzer played very good football in 2016-17.. 2019 when he played was very good as well. Slightly missing the Kreuzer incisive 2nd efforts in the middle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:33 am 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:

Walshy - you are displaying a strange mentality currently. A couple of points that I would like to raise against this post.

I get the feeling you are almost hoping we lose and the above mentioned don't play well. Maybe trying to prove a point our current midfielders don't cut it?
As for Cripps, he has been the most disappointing player for us this year and that is from a poster that actually loves the big lug. He is nowhere near running at the level required defensively and/or tackling. As a leader of a young group of midfielders, he needs to set the standard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:40 am 
Banned

SurreyBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Walshy - you are displaying a strange mentality currently. A couple of points that I would like to raise against this post.

I get the feeling you are almost hoping we lose and the above mentioned don't play well. Maybe trying to prove a point our current midfielders don't cut it?
As for Cripps, he has been the most disappointing player for us this year and that is from a poster that actually loves the big lug. He is nowhere near running at the level required defensively and/or tackling. As a leader of a young group of midfielders, he needs to set the standard.

Statistically no they don't and not by a long shot.

Cripps is perhaps disappointing maybe due to the unrealistic expectations YOU have on him.

He is still ranked elite in clearances and contested possessions. The other midfielders around him need to step up to the plate. Maybe they will and maybe the wont. But as it stands they MIGHT come good but a long way back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:31 am 
Ken Hunter

So now my expectations are inflated? I tell you what - I watch our games multiple times every week, every year and I don't give a fluff about stats most of the time, because thankfully my eyes see what they see. I can't say I'm an expert but I have played the game and do know something about it. Cripps has been disappointing and yes, our centre clearances/setups are diabolical, which don't help him but what I do see, he is actually looking and trying to get body on the opposition midfielder rather than winning the footy. He isn't pressuring hard enough defensively when we don't have the footy and now is starting to call for the ball when he isn't in the best position to receive and execute. All fixable but it's above the shoulders.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:41 am 
Banned

No, what you are expecting is Cripps taking on the entire opposition midfield on his own to meet your expectations and to set an example.

It's a team game others need to step up to the plate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

I don't think its an either or situation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:41 pm 
Bert Deacon

who is going to stand in the HOLE wen hawk /rohan go in there leads . (wont be plowman)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next