Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
azzablue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Nope - we have a history of stuffing up games against opposition missing key players. Takes me right back to 1994 (I think?) finals when Geelong were missing Bairstow, Couch & Hocking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We still owe them for that 94 final !! That game still hurts ...

Ablett snr destroyed Mil Hanna.

But we don't owe them anything. You may not remember the 1995 grand final.
Walsh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Cripps is the highest contested possession winner in the team and will be the highest contested possession winner on the ground based on this season average.

Geelong are better at meters gained, disposal efficiency and a far better tackling side. Thats top end team cohesion they know where their team mates are going to run based on line up stability. They connect far better between the lines.

We have close to no chance despite having the best ball winner and uncontested ball winner on the ground. We have a long way to go to reach their level of team cohesion.

They spread far better but we have more potent weapons. Players like SPS, Dow, Martin and Kennedy need to double their tackling pressure for us to have a sneaky chance.

Why are we losing clearances?

Out of interest, where does he sit against the rest of the comp?

I'm sure Cripps not playing at his best. What do you think?

Ranked 18th in Contested Possessions per game
Ranked 12th in Centre Clearances per game

He was ranked 1st in 2019 so not at his best but by far our best midfielder. He needs a ruck and playing through injury probably not helping him either.

Thanks. That doesn't tell me he's the best contested player on the ground when he has an opponent. Plus I think walshy is our best midfielder this year, and the BnF will prove that too.

Look Walshy, for the last 2 years Cripps has been down. Most of his disposals struggle to find a team mate. His handballs, rarely make the distance when he shoots out an easy handball. He's lacking class with his disposals, but the biggest issue is his inability to win the centre clearances: he's ball watching, not ball getting.

Sure there's a huge problem for our ruck, hence why I want this to be our No.1 priority in the trade period if we are looking at Finals next year, but I think Cripps is more focussed on receiving, thinking he is carrying the team and trying to kick the winning goal rather than rolling up his sleeves and getting the hard ball like he use to. Maybe he's carrying an injury and doesn't want opponents jumping on him.

Kreuzer wasn't the reason for Cripps' success imo. Yes Kreuze was a better ruck then Pitto and Tom, but geez we are scaping the bottom of the barrel with that comparison. I, like many others, didn't think Kreuzer was a great ruckman TBH.

Suggesting other mids take up the slack is admitting Cripps has been a bit slack, and you seem to ignore Sam Walsh is the player carrying our midfield group this year, not Cripps.

Cripps is the one who needs to lift and win a few centre clearances, or get out of the middle, and leave it to those who seem to do better, as Dow has proven over last 2 weeks with opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
So now my expectations are inflated? I tell you what - I watch our games multiple times every week, every year and I don't give a fluff about stats most of the time, because thankfully my eyes see what they see. I can't say I'm an expert but I have played the game and do know something about it. Cripps has been disappointing and yes, our centre clearances/setups are diabolical, which don't help him but what I do see, he is actually looking and trying to get body on the opposition midfielder rather than winning the footy. He isn't pressuring hard enough defensively when we don't have the footy and now is starting to call for the ball when he isn't in the best position to receive and execute. All fixable but it's above the shoulders.

Have to be honest with appraisals of players and I think you are spot on Surrey. No point living in fantasy land.

Cripps has been a passenger too many times this year. I'm glad the media have called it right from round 1.

Playing injured was the early excuse. He looks to be playing injured or he's lost his mojo, and wants to be the receiver, which he's not that good at.

I think poster Walsh is the only person I have heard/ read suggest Cripps is carrying our midfield group this year. That's a fallacy. I have to say, given he's the only one with those thoughts, its fair to call it delusional.

Cripps needs to win more ball, and shepherd for his team mates in the middle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GMCbris wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Selwood not playing means we are a chance.
Means the free kick count is ten less than it would have been :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: SO TRUE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:58 pm 
Banned

Harsh - you cant expect him win B&F, MVP, AA every year.

He is handballing more than kicking this year,, not sure why that is. He used to win the contested ball then kick it out of congestion maybe he needs to get back to that but now brings others into play.

25 disposals, 5 tackles and 5 clearances per game still makes him our best in and under player at the club and top 15 in the competition. Whether one thinks its a fallacy and delusional is immaterial.

Anything better than that will be AA, B&F and MVP standard and thats a little unfair to expect every year... what about others hitting those standards as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:36 pm 
Robert Walls

Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Cripps is the highest contested possession winner in the team and will be the highest contested possession winner on the ground based on this season average.

Geelong are better at meters gained, disposal efficiency and a far better tackling side. Thats top end team cohesion they know where their team mates are going to run based on line up stability. They connect far better between the lines.

We have close to no chance despite having the best ball winner and uncontested ball winner on the ground. We have a long way to go to reach their level of team cohesion.

They spread far better but we have more potent weapons. Players like SPS, Dow, Martin and Kennedy need to double their tackling pressure for us to have a sneaky chance.

Walshy - you are displaying a strange mentality currently. A couple of points that I would like to raise against this post.

I get the feeling you are almost hoping we lose and the above mentioned don't play well. Maybe trying to prove a point our current midfielders don't cut it?
As for Cripps, he has been the most disappointing player for us this year and that is from a poster that actually loves the big lug. He is nowhere near running at the level required defensively and/or tackling. As a leader of a young group of midfielders, he needs to set the standard.

Statistically no they don't and not by a long shot.

Cripps is perhaps disappointing maybe due to the unrealistic expectations YOU have on him.

He is still ranked elite in clearances and contested possessions. The other midfielders around him need to step up to the plate. Maybe they will and maybe the wont. But as it stands they MIGHT come good but a long way back.

You've described our coaches as elite and you've described Cripps' clearannces/contested possessions as elite

You remind me of that doctor in the Seinfeld episode who described both Elaine and the baby as 'breathtaking'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

99prelim wrote:
Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Walshy - you are displaying a strange mentality currently. A couple of points that I would like to raise against this post.

I get the feeling you are almost hoping we lose and the above mentioned don't play well. Maybe trying to prove a point our current midfielders don't cut it?
As for Cripps, he has been the most disappointing player for us this year and that is from a poster that actually loves the big lug. He is nowhere near running at the level required defensively and/or tackling. As a leader of a young group of midfielders, he needs to set the standard.

Cripps is perhaps disappointing maybe due to the unrealistic expectations YOU have on him.

He is still ranked elite in clearances and contested possessions. The other midfielders around him need to step up to the plate. Maybe they will and maybe the wont. But as it stands they MIGHT come good but a long way back.

You've described our coaches as elite and you've described Cripps' clearannces/contested possessions as elite

You remind me of that doctor in the Seinfeld episode who described both Elaine and the baby as 'breathtaking'

:lol:

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:58 pm 
Banned

99prelim wrote:
Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Our coaches are elite and Cripps is an elite player with elite tackle and clearance numbers. What is your problem , you dont like football or dont know how to watch a game of football?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yep coaches are elite when we sit 13th on the ladder and the only team in the AFL that has an external review of the football dept after 13 rounds

External review necessary because the club Board executive management every other team and 95 percent of our supporters considers that our coaches are elite :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:05 pm 
Banned

frank dardew wrote:
Yep coaches are elite when we sit 13th on the ladder and the only team in the AFL that has an external review of the football dept after 13 rounds

External review necessary because the club Board executive management every other team and 95 percent of our supporters considers that our coaches are elite :grin:

I think they are doing a mighty fine job given circumstances. Let's see where we are by end of final round.

Coaches corner content from the club shows our development coaches are at the top of their game.

I dont think Cripps has had the right support around him since 2017. Talent that has gone through there havent been good enough so far, other than Walsh that's more like a sweeper in centre square set ups than a hard ball get bull. Don't have enough quality hard ball get bulls but Bam Bam showing good signs and now we might see Dow reach the standards of a Tim Taranto....but no where near it right now so lacking genuine quality to get the job done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:10 pm 
Craig Bradley

I am missing something What particular circumstances are they operating under and what makes their circumstances worse or more acute than any of the other 17 coaching groups in the competition

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:

He is handballing more than kicking this year,, not sure why that is. He used to win the contested ball then kick it out of congestion maybe he needs to get back to that but now brings others into play.

Now you are making sense. Now we have a football discussion. I reckon he's injured, lame AND he's trying too hard to be a hero. He has a role other than captain. He should beat every opponent at will: he's a beast, not was, IS. Use it to the teams advantage. We have the mids around him. Watch everyone pick up steam since the last 2 wins.

25 disposals, 5 tackles and 5 clearances per game still makes him our best in and under player at the club and top 15 in the competition.

We are 13th on the ladder. He's in the top 15. Makes sense. Doesn't that tell you too? Have a look at the gap between Cripps' numbers and the best.

Whether one thinks its a fallacy and delusional is immaterial. At a glance it seems that way

Anything better than that will be AA, B&F and MVP standard and thats a little unfair to expect every year... what about others hitting those standards as well.

Just want Cripps to do what he's best at.
I don't doubt his standing in the game.
I don't care if he's AA or MVP.

Just beat your @#$%&! opponent Crippa!!! that's all I'm asking. Simple.
Then the rest will follow that lead, and do what they can do, and Crippa wont look so foolish.

I honestly think he's tarnished his brand.
The most revered footballer in the land is a shadow of himself this year.
Its easily fixed. Like I said, keep it simple. Do what you do well for your team. Plenty of it too.

Fixable. Fix it. Fixation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:15 pm 
Banned

frank dardew wrote:
I am missing something What particular circumstances are they operating under and what makes their circumstances worse or more acute than any of the other 17 coaching groups in the competition

The coaches that were assembled have utilised the VFL for development and clubs facilities for 15 games. Give that they havent had genuine facilities to coach in comparison to other teams that are more mature except North Melbourne and St Kilda who are also in a similar predicament with injuries and facilities utilisation but hurts us more as we are dependant on these facilities more than others.

The clubs that have absolutely no excuse where they are is Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond.

Not to mention we have had consistently to swap and change our line up and too many of our best players have been missing when we need them all fit and firing to say we have a good list.

List is only good enough when they are fit and playing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Weitering covers Hawkins (again)
Jones runs and jumps with Rohan, or Ratogolea
Plowman then takes on Rohan.

Cripps
Kennedy
Dow

Ed tags Dangerfield

OConnor probably tags Walsh. Thoughts?

Their wings on the MCG are dangerous.
They will love running in space.
They scare me most.

Walsh vs Isaacs on a wing
Menegola vs Ed unless he's tagging Danger

Who takes Danger when he goes forward?
Has to be Plow. Ed follows him?

Ed's everywhere.

Gotta have faith in the team.
I reckon we are a good chance.
I've forgotten last round in 2020.
I remember beating them by a kick in 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:38 pm 
Banned

Need our second tiers to match theirs if we are going to win it.

Players like Parfitt, Guthrie. Menegola and making Tom Stewart accountable.

So that means Dow, SPS, Kennedy, Fogarty and Martin need to realise they are AFL players now and need to put on their big boy pants for a big game.

If they choke we are gone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Walsh wrote:
Coaches corner content from the club shows our development coaches are at the top of their game.

Not sure if serious...

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:58 pm 
Banned

GWS wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Not sure if serious...

I think it's quality and highly informative but if you believe you can do better then you should apply for the job.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:20 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Walsh wrote:

Larry.. you are jesting

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:36 pm 
Robert Walls

Walsh wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Our coaches are elite and Cripps is an elite player with elite tackle and clearance numbers. What is your problem , you dont like football or dont know how to watch a game of football?

I don't have a problem Walsh...your comments are absolute in many cases and cannot be substantiated. Others have challenged you on them and you begin a vicious cycle of personal attacks (and yes, some of my replies to you have also been sarcastic) and more unsubstantiated absolutes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Cripps is a great footballer who isn’t playing great football.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:13 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What a huge shame it is Williams doesn't understand that there is a level of fitness that equates to excellence.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next