Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rest Cripps? Even if he's fit? (Or 80% fit?) So that Weitering can experience a game as Captain?
Play Cottrell on Rohan?
Elevate Curnow to play Crippa's role?

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe where no-one is criticising Teague for making strange selection and positional decisions.

In my view:
- We should play Crippa. He has not been at his best but his role is still central to how well we play. He was instrumental in our burst against the Crows and also in our resurgence in the final quarter against the Dockers even though his foot had blown up. I would go so far as to say if he didn't play, we would not have won. Even if he went off at half time, we would have lost.

- Cottrell has great energy which I love but still costs us direct goals from his mistakes. I would not be playing him at the moment but if we did, not on the last line of defense, let alone on a match winner like Rohan. Plowman is most likely to play on him and rightly so.

- Ed Curnow has been a very reliable midfielder for a long time. But his best role by a long way is when he sits on the opposition's best playmaker. When he does that, he also tends to get a lot of the ball. However, he has rarely been able to command a primary midfield role as a playmaker or distributor himself. And he has not been in great form lately either. IF Cripps is injured, I would expect Kennedy to play that role or else bring in Setterfield who was recruited to support Cripps in that role.

This match will be a big test for us. Geelong plays a very disciplined and structured game. Perfect to plan against. Of course, this approach is based on their (justified) belief that they can win even if opposition know what they are going to do.
This presents a great opportunity for our coaches to plan our assault, and for the players to execute this plan!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

17th Premiership wrote:
- We should play Crippa. He has not been at his best but his role is still central to how well we play. He was instrumental in our burst against the Crows and also in our resurgence in the final quarter against the Dockers even though his foot had blown up. I would go so far as to say if he didn't play, we would not have won. Even if he went off at half time, we would have lost.

I disagree. What's his role? He's had 5 centre clearances in 4 games. I'm not interested in him getting cheap kicks out wide or calling for handballs off Paddy Dow when he's under more pressure himself. The parallel universe is Cripps playing as an outside midfielder when that isn't his strength. In fact, he usually butchers it when he kicks the ball. He's a gun when he plays to his strengths but he's light years off that at the moment.

17th Premiership wrote:
- Ed Curnow has been a very reliable midfielder for a long time. But his best role by a long way is when he sits on the opposition's best playmaker. When he does that, he also tends to get a lot of the ball. However, he has rarely been able to command a primary midfield role as a playmaker or distributor himself.

When has Ed played as a playmaker, 17th? Last time I recall was when we played Freo in 2019 and Cripps missed with injury. Ed was captain, had 16 clearances and dominated the game which we won. Which games are you recalling?
IMHO, we are getting spanked at clearances and Cripps is struggling to get his hands on the ball. As I said elsewhere, I'd rather we play Cripps as a forward pocket with short stints on ball until we get his body/role sorted out. At the moment, he's getting more midfield time than anyone and it's costing us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

If Cripps plays I'd like to see him at CHF but my preference is to rest him or at minimum keep him out of the centre.
I'd also like to see Kemp in for Stocker in the backline and Stocker moved onto the ball.
Drop Williamson for Williams and possibly Newnes/Casboult if Crippa is going to play.
It's not a game we are likely to win but it would be good to see Kemp and Stocker played in the above roles, let's see what they've got.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
If Cripps plays I'd like to see him at CHF but my preference is to rest him or at minimum keep him out of the centre.
I'd also like to see Kemp in for Stocker in the backline and Stocker moved onto the ball.
Drop Williamson for Williams and possibly Newnes/Casboult if Crippa is going to play.
It's not a game we are likely to win but it would be good to see Kemp and Stocker played in the above roles, let's see what they've got.

Yeah, nah.

If Cripps plays it has to be as an inside mid who pushes forward when the opportunity presents itself.

I wouldn’t be moving Stocker around while he is settled and performing. He may eventually become a midfielder, but leave him where he is for now.

Time is on Kemp’s side, I see no reason to rush him in. I’d like him to build some consistency before he’s promoted.

If Cripps doesn’t play, I would give E Curnow more time inside working alongside Dow & Kennedy. Williams to HB.

Out - Cripps (inj), Cottrell
In - Williams, Setterfield

Sub - Williamson.

Fisher to come back via the VFL. I feel like he’s missed a lot of footy this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:16 pm 
Banned

We dont tackle enough in the middle to take Cripps out of there. His clearances are way down but his tackling is still needed.

Need others to pick up the slack rather than asking one player to do the lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

I disagree. What's his role? He's had 5 centre clearances in 4 games. I'm not interested in him getting cheap kicks out wide or calling for handballs off Paddy Dow when he's under more pressure himself. The parallel universe is Cripps playing as an outside midfielder when that isn't his strength. In fact, he usually butchers it when he kicks the ball. He's a gun when he plays to his strengths but he's light years off that at the moment.

17th Premiership wrote:
- Ed Curnow has been a very reliable midfielder for a long time. But his best role by a long way is when he sits on the opposition's best playmaker. When he does that, he also tends to get a lot of the ball. However, he has rarely been able to command a primary midfield role as a playmaker or distributor himself.

When has Ed played as a playmaker, 17th? Last time I recall was when we played Freo in 2019 and Cripps missed with injury. Ed was captain, had 16 clearances and dominated the game which we won. Which games are you recalling?
IMHO, we are getting spanked at clearances and Cripps is struggling to get his hands on the ball. As I said elsewhere, I'd rather we play Cripps as a forward pocket with short stints on ball until we get his body/role sorted out. At the moment, he's getting more midfield time than anyone and it's costing us.

I can buy your point about Curnow in the middle although I’d still prefer him primarily locking down.
However, I think Cripps belongs in the middle, perhaps drifting forward every now and then. I don’t think he works as a permanent forward. I would have rested him earlier in the year when his back was hampering him but he is getting fitter each week so I’d be playing him if he’s cleared to play.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Williams for Williamson …

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Daulhous Selwood Narkle and Cameron out

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

17th Premiership wrote:
I can buy your point about Curnow in the middle although I’d still prefer him primarily locking down.
However, I think Cripps belongs in the middle, perhaps drifting forward every now and then. I don’t think he works as a permanent forward. I would have rested him earlier in the year when his back was hampering him but he is getting fitter each week so I’d be playing him if he’s cleared to play.

Yep, I agree with most of that but this is becoming a constant with Cripps. A month without winning centre bounces and unfortunately, we're getting flogged in there. We need to change it up.
It's pointless having him in there to tackle. Let's be proactive and win the ball first.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Selwood not playing means we are a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

Nope - we have a history of stuffing up games against opposition missing key players. Takes me right back to 1994 (I think?) finals when Geelong were missing Bairstow, Couch & Hocking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:

Only Cameron injured.

Cats really rate us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cottrell, Williamson, Fisher & Setterfield the emergencies.

No VFL game this weekend, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:57 pm 
Robert Walls

B: Lachie Plowman - Jacob Weitering - Nic Newman

HB: Sam Petrevski-Seton - Liam Jones - Liam Stocker

C: Sam Walsh - Patrick Cripps - Jack Newnes

HF: Ed Curnow - Harry McKay - Jack Silvagni

F: Eddie Betts - Levi Casboult - Lachie Fogarty

R: Tom De Koning - Paddy Dow - Matthew Kennedy

Interchange: Jack Martin - Matthew Owies - Adam Saad - Zac Williams

Emergencies: Matthew Cottrell - Zac Fisher - Will Setterfield - Tom Williamson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Yeah, nah.

If Cripps plays it has to be as an inside mid who pushes forward when the opportunity presents itself.

That's the position Cripps played in his MVP year, 2019.

I wish he'd play that role again with Walsh Dow and Williams flanking him.

He wouldn't have to run as much as he does in the receiver role he's playing.
That way, he could have some energy in reserve to run forward when opportunity presents.

He needs to be rotated more...imo... keep every one fresh as can be at the contest, every contest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

17th Premiership wrote:

Agree on both players.

Curnow is wasted as the tagger, when we don't need a tagger.
Problem with Ed is when he's on the job, closing down a player, he doesn't focus enough on quality disposal.

Both play a great inside mid role.
They should stick to that, unless Ed is hard tagging: Ed is a weapon. He should be used better imo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
We dont tackle enough in the middle to take Cripps out of there. His clearances are way down but his tackling is still needed.

Need others to pick up the slack rather than asking one player to do the lot.

True, but it would be good if he refocussed on his game on getting first hands on the hard ball and dishing it out, because he's the best in the business at this, and a weapon we should use, like in 2019. He will get votes and accolades doing that. He needs to have confidence in the players around him.

I think the other mids around him are rising.

Having Murphy our, clears the air, and clears a spot.

Dow Kennedy Stocker are coming on. Heaps of support/ heavy lifting from Ed.

When Charlie is back, Cripps can relax on the idea he must carry the team and kick goals.

Tackling can be fixed. Its getting better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

Yep, I agree with most of that but this is becoming a constant with Cripps. A month without winning centre bounces and unfortunately, we're getting flogged in there. We need to change it up.
It's pointless having him in there to tackle. Let's be proactive and win the ball first.

Cripps job isn't to lay first tackle.
Cripps primary job is to win the hard ball.

Be a Bull

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:

Good isn't it!

Cameron and selwood along with Duncan is huge.

Heavy tag on Danger. Ed and/or Plowman ??

Cripps vs Guthrie for the hard ball, or
Cripps vs Danger in the square.
Cripps is so important in this contest. He's the key.

the rest will do what they have to do.

Rubbing hands.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cats show no respect for Carlton.

Fancy "resting" star players against us.

Cocky pricks.

They deserve an upset this Saturday.

If we cover their weapons with Weitering, Jones, and Fogarty stars, then anything can happen.

Harry Levi Jack are a handful for their defenders.

I'm cocky.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next