Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Kennedy was our best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

jim wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Best thing about this loss is it’s one step closer to blowing up the entire coaching box and starting from scratch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As I said in the game thread, an insider, who gets terrific information, said Teague wanted to quit before the bye. Seems they must've talked him out of it. Teague sees this effort, he's had tragedy in his family. Fair chance he has had enough and will probably not coach next year.

Players came to us because Teague was here when he was an assistant, has had great reports before coaching us, was a brilliant coach of the Bullants getting heaps out of an average side. Problem is, when you coach a side with a bad culture that lacks drive, motivation, hunger, or basically a care factor, then you have an impossible job. The only thing that has happened under Teague is that we have been alot more scoreboard competitive (as distinct for actually competitive) and he has the 2nd best record of any coach we have had this century, even if the bar is as low as it gets. Same again. A coach gets to the 3rd year and the players essentially turn their toes up.

Two sides you wouldn't touch, Carlton and St.Kilda as you senior coaching careers ends right there after a few years. Ratts must've have been a genius getting two sides with such poor cultures to 4 finals series in 6 years but he's struggling with the Saints now for similar reasons.

Can’t agree with this. If Teague was as great as you say and the players all loved him so much we wouldn’t be seeing the shithouse performances and lack of care and effort on the field that we are seeing. If Teague was a strong leader he’d be leading and changing the culture

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

Martin clearly not right. Why play him? Fisher and Williams not match fit, let them find fitness and form in the VFL. Might as well get Murphy to 300, nothing to lose now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:44 pm 
John James

I said last week if we didn’t have Walsh we’d be getting flogged every week like most of last year. That’s no secret to GWS; tagged him out of the game and even with Cripps not playing a howler, there nothing going in our midfield other than when Kennedy in there. So we get flogged. I hope Walsh is able to shake the tag in future for most games. All great players get it at some point especially when playing in weaker teams that depend heavily on one or two players.

I reckon all new signings should have to sit an IQ test and score above 100. And maybe a test which can determine if their happy on a fat pay check and having a few laughs at training with ‘the boys’. Don’t sign those players with no care for tackling when we are getting our hands on it.

Maybe an old fashion ‘flog the life out of them at training all week’ is required. Who cares if they turn up to next weeks game dead on their feet. Keep doing the same until the end of the season and wipe the smiles off their faces at training at least. Oppositions must smell our middle-field fear at this point.

If Cripps is waiting to see what improvement he sees before singing with west coast I reckon we’d want to scout their young players to see what we can get in a trade for him. The Teague train is heading for a shonky bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by diesel95 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

jake_h03 wrote:
jim wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Best thing about this loss is it’s one step closer to blowing up the entire coaching box and starting from scratch

As I said in the game thread, an insider, who gets terrific information, said Teague wanted to quit before the bye. Seems they must've talked him out of it. Teague sees this effort, he's had tragedy in his family. Fair chance he has had enough and will probably not coach next year.

Players came to us because Teague was here when he was an assistant, has had great reports before coaching us, was a brilliant coach of the Bullants getting heaps out of an average side. Problem is, when you coach a side with a bad culture that lacks drive, motivation, hunger, or basically a care factor, then you have an impossible job. The only thing that has happened under Teague is that we have been alot more scoreboard competitive (as distinct for actually competitive) and he has the 2nd best record of any coach we have had this century, even if the bar is as low as it gets. Same again. A coach gets to the 3rd year and the players essentially turn their toes up.

Two sides you wouldn't touch, Carlton and St.Kilda as you senior coaching careers ends right there after a few years. Ratts must've have been a genius getting two sides with such poor cultures to 4 finals series in 6 years but he's struggling with the Saints now for similar reasons.

Can’t agree with this. If Teague was as great as you say and the players all loved him so much we wouldn’t be seeing the shithouse performances and lack of care and effort on the field that we are seeing. If Teague was a strong leader he’d be leading and changing the culture

Much of what I said is on record so whether anyone agrees doesn't matter.

Coaches encourage, players change cultures. no ifs or buts on that one. Same in any sport, team or individual. I've had the experience first hand. I can tell you it is much easier to improve someone who wants to improve and wants success badly. On the other hand, the one's that didn't want it badly, didn't have the heart when it was tough, you could pull every coaching trick and nothing would happen. A coach is at the mercy of his players to an large extent.

Last edited by jim on Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

diesel95 wrote:
I said last week if we didn’t have Walsh we’d be getting flogged every week like most of last year. That’s no secret to GWS, tagged him out of the game and even with Cripps not playing a howler nothing going in out middle field other than when Kennedy in there and we get flogged.

I reckon all new signings should have to sit an IQ test and score above 100. And maybe a test which can determine if their happy on a fat pay check and having a few laughs at training with ‘the boys’. Maybe the old fashion flog the life out of them at training all week is required.

Who cares if they turn up to next weeks game dead on their feet. Keep doing the same until the end of the season and wipe the smiles off their faces at training at least. Oppositions must smell our middle-field fear at this point.

If Cripps is waiting to see what improvement he sees before singing with west coast I reckon we’d want to scout their young players to see what we can get in a trade for him. The Teague train is heading for a shonky bridge.

Free agent so there's no trade.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:48 pm 
Bob Chitty

Walsh wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Anyone that says Dow doesn't deserve to play next week, literally has no concept of the game.

Zero.

Zip.

To the point u should probably deactivate your account .. he was far from our worst today and clearly u have a unhealthy obsession with him ...

Really I think the opposite - if you think 13 disposals @ 50% disposal efficiency without a tag is acceptable for an AFL footballer. Then your bar is extremely low.

Must be dropped - simply not good enough.

No. I'm saying if u think he was our worst then u don't get it. There were plenty ahead of him that were rubbish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree he wasn’t great Dow but shows something but let’s say Parks Newman Eddie Newnes docherty all were much worse so let’s take the hatchet to them first
Once again I would think TDK is in a similar boat to Dow play him every week
Similarly stocker

We need Carroll Kemp Ramsay to get a go too

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:52 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
jim wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Coaches encourage, players change cultures. no ifs or buts on that one. Same in any sport, team or individual. I've had the experience first hand. I can tell you it is much easier to improve someone who wants to improve and wants success badly. On the other hand, the one's that didn't want it badly, didn't have the heart when it was tough, you could pull every coaching trick and nothing would happen. A coach is at the mercy of his players to an large extent.

Totally agree with your last comment there Jim. There's an Aussie tennis player out there who's in your second category. If he was in the first category he'd be a world beater.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:53 pm 
Banned

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Walsh wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Anyone that says Dow doesn't deserve to play next week, literally has no concept of the game.

Zero.

Zip.

To the point u should probably deactivate your account .. he was far from our worst today and clearly u have a unhealthy obsession with him ...

Really I think the opposite - if you think 13 disposals @ 50% disposal efficiency without a tag is acceptable for an AFL footballer. Then your bar is extremely low.

No. I'm saying if u think he was our worst then u don't get it. There were plenty ahead of him that were rubbish

He was a liability in the midfield and one of the worst yes. I am tired of seeing a weak and inept midfield every weeks - are you not?

You should be as its been happening for years. It's time to set the standard in the guts - attack the ball, be clean with the ball, keep your feet, hit targets with good decisions or play VFL until you get it right. Its the midfield where the problems are and can't afford to carry these type of players if you don't want to whinge every week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

frank dardew wrote:
Agree he wasn’t great Dow but shows something but let’s say Parks Newman Eddie Newnes docherty all were much worse so let’s take the hatchet to them first
Once again I would think TDK is in a similar boat to Dow play him every week
Similarly stocker

We need Carroll Kemp Ramsay to get a go too

They were all shit mate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:
Parks has escaped scrutiny tonight but I thought he was dreadful, seemed to lose every contest and I can't actually remember him having a possession. I agree, he's had a taste, but he needs more VFL, hopefully Plow returns and Parks can look forward to a big preseason.

Just checked my supercoach team and Parks scored 2 points, easily the worst score I've ever seen from a player who played >3 quarters. Ouch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:55 pm 
John James

Oh yeah, that’s right. So WC will be making room in their salary cap atm I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Parks was dreadful and shocking team performance but Kennedy was good zi thought Owies was good H good but has to nail the goals and then the rest were terrible to horrendous

Parks Newman docherty I think we’re probably the worse but can’t win playing 10 mins of footy and having 3 players bein fair to ok

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
jim wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Cultural change starts from the top

At their best Carlton were ruthless but successful

It’s about setting standards and not taking a backward step in enforcing them

The recruitment of Betts is an example of a club that has lost its way

We were supposedly in rebuild mode and recruit a player past his best

Good clubs don’t make those sort of decisions

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:06 pm 
Ken Hands

He would surely be restricted though?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:09 pm 
Bob Chitty

Walsh wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Walsh wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:

Zero.

Zip.

He was a liability in the midfield and one of the worst yes. I am tired of seeing a weak and inept midfield every weeks - are you not?

You should be as its been happening for years. It's time to set the standard in the guts - attack the ball, be clean with the ball, keep your feet, hit targets with good decisions or play VFL until you get it right. Its the midfield where the problems are and can't afford to carry these type of players if you don't want to whinge every week.

We can't afford to carry anyone .. that why we are in the position we are in .. but I don't think he was our worse .. think Dow and Kennedy had better games than any of our other midfielder and we need to start awarding performance .. not reputation .. every single players hold be on notice every single week .. the worst three Or four get the tap on the shoulder ... that isn't Dow, Kennedy, tdk or Stocker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We are abysmal defensively. Not our back 6 but our system when the opposition have the ball. I posted it after our previous game and we have done nothing to rectify it. Opposition teams pull our zone apart with ease. Our players have no concept of how to recognise/defend the dangerous space. We allow teams to create space and to easily use it.
If I could see any attempt to solve the issues I'd walk away with some hope but it's groundhog day and has been all season.
I read that Teague offered to walk (sounds like nonsense to me) but if he did, sack whoever talked him out of it.

We have a player who less than 2 years ago was voted by the AFL players as the best player in the game. Another who was an All Australian and was one of the most damaging half backs in the AFL for 3 consecutive years. They are a shadow of themselves. They are almost liabilities to the team. We have too many players who are playing outside their skillset and lacking understanding of their role. That is an indictment on the coaching group.
I rate Teague as a person and nothing would make me happier than to see him succeed. But he needs to perform. It's an elite sporting organisation and he's floundering at the moment.

I feel for players like Jack Silvagni. He is a very limited player but I tell you what, he gives a @#$%&!. He hates losing and I can see he is becoming increasingly frustrated by our situation. Not just the losing but the regression of the team.

Last edited by Blue Vain on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yet another in our "worst game for the season" contender.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:13 pm 
Banned

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Walsh wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Walsh wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:

Zero.

Zip.

We can't afford to carry anyone .. that why we are in the position we are in .. but I don't think he was our worse .. think Dow and Kennedy had better games than any of our other midfielder and we need to start awarding performance .. not reputation .. every single players hold be on notice every single week .. the worst three Or four get the tap on the shoulder ... that isn't Dow, Kennedy, tdk or Stocker

Again - it's the midfield where the problems are. I am happy that Kennedy has decided to show up today but will he follow it up? Thats what you want to see some guts and determination.

TDK and Stocker weren't liabilities but Dow offers Nothing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next