Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:31 pm 
Robert Walls

This is what I'd like to see for this match (and possibly for about the next four weeks):

FB: Parks - Jones - Plowman
HB: Saad - Weitering - Williams
C: SPS - Stocker - O'Brien
HF: Martin - Silvagni - Fisher
FF: TDK - McKay - Owies
R: Pittonet - Walsh - Dow
INT: Cripps - Betts - Fogarty - Honey
Sub: Murphy

The backline has a month of settled personnel before we look to introduce Kemp (assuming he gets through a solid month in the VFL). I like Parks hardness at the man, so I'd like to see him learning his craft in the seniors.
Give O'Brien a month on the wing. He has to show something or he loses his place to Boyd (this assumes Boyd gets a month in the VFL and performs well). Same with SPS, but SPS gets more time at half-forward as part of the on-ball rotations. O'Brien gets a wing to himself for a month. Back him in.
Regularly rotate through the centre square: Play SPS, Stocker, Martin, Fisher, Walsh, Dow and Fogarty there over the course of the month. Mix up the combinations. Every centre bounce, put in a different combo. Make us unpredictable.
Start Cripps as the deepest forward. He can rotate onto the ball after centre bounces. We get scored on from centre clearances too often, and too much of that is his physical inability to defend. So he spends a month outside the square. I'd be tempted to give him a spell, but I just can't bring myself to drop him...
I'm kinda reluctant to play both rucks, but you can't go into a game with just one - especially next week with Mumford looking to injure his opponent at every opportunity. But, if we were to go in with one ruck, I'd almost like to see how Cripps goes as an around-the-ground ruck / mid alongside TDK.
The forwards stay much the same... Hopefully in a month C. Curnow has a fortnight of VFL under his belt or we've played Kemp forward some of the time and they can possibly come in.
Doc and Curnow are out, which is harsh as they've both played some okay footy this season. But there's only room for 22 blokes.
Ask Murphy who he wants to play his 300th against, and nurse him though as the sub. He has 5 games to get there. We have 10 games. We can work it out. Docherty is the other obvious candidate for sub.

Last edited by bluechampion on Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Teague effectively back into caretaker mode so needs to get the boys playing with gay abandon like it's 2019

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluechampion wrote:
This is what I'd like to see for this match (and possibly for about the next four weeks):

FB: Parks - Jones - Plowman
HB: Saad - Weitering - Williams
C: SPS - Stocker - O'Brien
HF: Martin - Silvagni - Fisher
FF: TDK - McKay - Owies
R: Pittonet - Walsh - Dow
INT: Cripps - Betts - Fogarty - Honey
Sub: Murphy

The backline has a month of settled personnel before we look to introduce Kemp (assuming he gets through a solid month in the VFL). I like Parks hardness at the man, so I'd like to see him learning his craft in the seniors.
Give O'Brien a month on the wing. He has to show something or he loses his place to Boyd (this assumes Boyd gets a month in the VFL and performs well). Same with SPS, but SPS gets more time at half-forward as part of the on-ball rotations. O'Brien gets a wing to himself for a month. Back him in.
Regularly rotate through the centre square: Play SPS, Stocker, Martin, Fisher, Walsh, Dow, Docherty and Fogarty there over the course of the month. Mix up the combinations. Every centre bounce, put in a different combo. Make us unpredictable.
Start Cripps as the deepest forward. He can rotate onto the ball after centre bounces. We get scored on from centre clearances too often, and too much of that is his physical inability to defend. So he spends a month outside the square. I'd be tempted to give him a spell, but I just can't bring myself to drop him...
I'm kinda reluctant to play both rucks, but you can't go into a game with just one - especially next week with Mumford looking to injure his opponent at every opportunity. But, if we were to go in with one ruck, I'd almost like to see how Cripps goes as an around-the-ground ruck / mid alongside TDK.
The forwards stay much the same... Hopefully in a month C. Curnow has a fortnight of VFL under his belt or we've played Kemp forward some of the time and they can possibly come in.
Doc and Curnow are out, which is harsh as they've both played some okay footy this season. But there's only room for 22 blokes.
Ask Murphy who he wants to play his 300th against, and nurse him though as the sub. He has 5 games to get there. We have 10 games. We can work it out. Docherty is the other obvious candidate for sub.

You have Docherty in and out of the team. :smile:

Anyway he has played well enough to keep. Leave Fogarty out, he has had a good run but shown little recently.

It is harsh on Curnow but if you look to the future a reasoned out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:19 pm 
Banned

Yeah if we want to win the game dont think that midfield is good enough against Taranto, Ward, Kelly and Hopper.

Stranger things have happened but really need zero passengers. If you have given up on the season (I havent) then in development mode we go - but im realistic enough to believe our midfield isnt good enough to win many games. Stocker and Walsh is fine - SPS and Obrien on the wings...we are looking at a 10 goal loss.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Ed Curnow is one of my first 5 selected. He's our one accountable midfielder, in our 3 best runners, one of 3 hardest workers and he sets the standard for 20 other blokes.
When SPS works half as hard as Ed or when O'Brien goes at the ball half as hard as Ed, I'd consider replacing him.
I'm all for giving youngsters a game but lets make them give a half arsed effort to earn them. SPS, O'Brien and Honey have opportunities to earn a spot. Let's see them do it.
Selection integrity applies to the players as well. If you want a game, show us. Don't expect it to be gifted to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:42 pm 
Ken Hands

They don't give a @#$%&! so why should we.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Agreed BV, I understand the reasoning behind dropping Ed, but I strongly disagree, if we want to set standards for accountability then he cannot be dropped.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:46 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

This is really testing my loyalty, will I go to a cold western Sydney stadium to watch us get pantsed again? It’s like watching the mid 2000s all over again.

At least if I go I won’t be psychologically harming my older son, who is now at 1-2 win/loss in games attended as it’s a Saturday night game and I wouldn’t take him.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:25 am 
Ken Hands

I no it will never happen or can’t happen but , I would like to see the club say to all players from Crippa and Doc down, for the rest of the year everyone is on a performance based pay rate . Give every player a list of individual kpi’s they need to make along with team rules that are non negotiable. Failure to meet them and your pay will be dropped accordingly. Pretty sure that lift intensity and performance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:47 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Ed Curnow is one of my first 5 selected. He's our one accountable midfielder, in our 3 best runners, one of 3 hardest workers and he sets the standard for 20 other blokes.
When SPS works half as hard as Ed or when O'Brien goes at the ball half as hard as Ed, I'd consider replacing him.
I'm all for giving youngsters a game but lets make them give a half arsed effort to earn them. SPS, O'Brien and Honey have opportunities to earn a spot. Let's see them do it.
Selection integrity applies to the players as well. If you want a game, show us. Don't expect it to be gifted to you.
I love ED he busts his guts every week he would be my first pick every week.

I wouldn't like to say he sets the standard for the others because if he does that standard is pretty low.

I would say if those with a greater talent than Ed worked to his standards we would be a better side.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:49 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Waterman wrote:
I no it will never happen or can’t happen but , I would like to see the club say to all players from Crippa and Doc down, for the rest of the year everyone is on a performance based pay rate . Give every player a list of individual kpi’s they need to make along with team rules that are non negotiable. Failure to meet them and your pay will be dropped accordingly. Pretty sure that lift intensity and performance.

We’d end up so far below the salary cap minimum we’d be fined out of existence. :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:51 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

How about boy Boyd comes in and does a newbie Newcombe?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:19 am 
Ken Hands

GWS wrote:
Waterman wrote:

We’d end up so far below the salary cap minimum we’d be fined out of existence. :lol:

Sad but true mate . :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:32 am 
Wayne Johnston

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

I wouldn't like to say he sets the standard for the others because if he does that standard is pretty low.

I would say if those with a greater talent than Ed worked to his standards we would be a better side.

I think what was meant is the Ed should be the standard of effort, which I agree.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:35 am 
Wayne Johnston

CarltonClem wrote:
This is really testing my loyalty, will I go to a cold western Sydney stadium to watch us get pantsed again? It’s like watching the mid 2000s all over again.

At least if I go I won’t be psychologically harming my older son, who is now at 1-2 win/loss in games attended as it’s a Saturday night game and I wouldn’t take him.

This will be the first time I’ve been to three games in a row for around 30 years, surprisingly my daughter does seem to want to go again even though another loss will make it 5 from 5 for her.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:36 am 
Wayne Johnston

I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a win live, must be somewhere between 10 to 20 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:40 am 
Ken Hunter

This game and the rest of the year, will tell us what we need to know about our current group, coaching included. Do they want success and do they know what is needed to achieve it?

Personally, I’ll be watching Crippa closely and how he goes about his footy and then the Power / Teague combination. What will our centre bounce structures, clearances, including around the ground, and contested setups look like, etc.

My team for this game:
Newman Jones Plowman
Saad Weitering Williams
Docherty Cripps O’Brien
Martin Casboult Fisher
Silvagni McKay Betts
TDK Curnow Walsh

Isn’t from, but my preference in bold: Stocker Dow SPS Owies Setterfield Murphy Forgarty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

I'd only set one criteria, going hard at any aspect you undertake on the field, tackling, shepherding, running, chasing, marking, blocking, go as hard as you can, ditto at training. Do that you keep playing, fail to do that – out. Course it means we might end up with a team of about 10.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

I think what was meant is the Ed should be the standard of effort, which I agree.

Correct. But I think Syd knows that. He just likes to be abrasive. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Agree with this Sydney.
How about we pick players that can dispose of the ball properly and then make the coaching staff earn their money by setting some non negotiable standards to drive us forward.
If we keep playing the Murphys and Curnows we will be cactus for a long time to come.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next