Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:59 pm 
Offline
Rod Ashman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:35 pm
Posts: 2352
Anyone else miss getting nervous and anxious these days?
When there is something on the line? When there is so much to gain ... but also to lose.
Only the fear of losing to the despicable Essendrugs gets the nerves tingling these days.
The West Coast game was watched in an almost detached stupor.
No highs, no lows ... just a dull sense of I-know-where-this-is-going.
And sure enough ...
It might be worse than the Dark Days, when all we had was a flash of Andrew Walker brilliance and the hope engendered by gilt-edged end-of-season draft picks to sustain us.
A time when you thought things just couldn't get any worse.
But they have, because we know they can do better.
They just keep letting us down … and many are beaten into submission.
Punch drunk, like the coach - who looks exhausted and clueless.

Who else is relieved there is no match this weekend?
Who else has stopped watching games from start to finish?
Who else just shrugs in pathetic submission when heckled by a mate or work colleague about your team?
Who else wonders if their kids will go through with their threats to actually jump off the Bluebagger wagon?
Who else is sick of dimwitted commentators patronising our club?

Twenty years of misery hasn't quite extinguished the passion but, boy, it's been buried deep, waiting for some form of resurrection.
Oh to be an excited and a proud Blue again.

All we can do it hang in there … (and get a new game plan and/or coach)

_________________
I just want my old club back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:02 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 1712
kennyhunter wrote:
Anyone else miss getting nervous and anxious these days?
When there is something on the line? When there is so much to gain ... but also to lose.
Only the fear of losing to the despicable Essendrugs gets the nerves tingling these days.
The West Coast game was watched in an almost detached stupor.
No highs, no lows ... just a dull sense of I-know-where-this-is-going.
And sure enough ...
It might be worse than the Dark Days, when all we had was a flash of Andrew Walker brilliance and the hope engendered by gilt-edged end-of-season draft picks to sustain us.
A time when you thought things just couldn't get any worse.
But they have, because we know they can do better.
They just keep letting us down … and many are beaten into submission.
Punch drunk, like the coach - who looks exhausted and clueless.

Who else is relieved there is no match this weekend?
Who else has stopped watching games from start to finish?
Who else just shrugs in pathetic submission when heckled by a mate or work colleague about your team?
Who else wonders if their kids will go through with their threats to actually jump off the Bluebagger wagon?
Who else is sick of dimwitted commentators patronising our club?

Twenty years of misery hasn't quite extinguished the passion but, boy, it's been buried deep, waiting for some form of resurrection.
Oh to be an excited and a proud Blue again.

All we can do it hang in there … (and get a new game plan and/or coach)


I feel it man.

I stopped watching entire games a few years back.
You get a sense half way through a game that you just know it'll end in tears, and 99.9% of the time it does.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:18 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:49 pm
Posts: 1013
Location: On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere Leaving Anyplace
kennyhunter wrote:
Anyone else miss getting nervous and anxious these days?
When there is something on the line? When there is so much to gain ... but also to lose.
Only the fear of losing to the despicable Essendrugs gets the nerves tingling these days.
The West Coast game was watched in an almost detached stupor.
No highs, no lows ... just a dull sense of I-know-where-this-is-going.
And sure enough ...
It might be worse than the Dark Days, when all we had was a flash of Andrew Walker brilliance and the hope engendered by gilt-edged end-of-season draft picks to sustain us.
A time when you thought things just couldn't get any worse.
But they have, because we know they can do better.
They just keep letting us down … and many are beaten into submission.
Punch drunk, like the coach - who looks exhausted and clueless.

Who else is relieved there is no match this weekend?
Who else has stopped watching games from start to finish?
Who else just shrugs in pathetic submission when heckled by a mate or work colleague about your team?
Who else wonders if their kids will go through with their threats to actually jump off the Bluebagger wagon?
Who else is sick of dimwitted commentators patronising our club?

Twenty years of misery hasn't quite extinguished the passion but, boy, it's been buried deep, waiting for some form of resurrection.
Oh to be an excited and a proud Blue again.

All we can do it hang in there … (and get a new game plan and/or coach)


Precisely, the only way I can endure watching them is to be totally emotionally detached.

_________________
Hooked on The Blues


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:33 pm 
Offline
Stephen Silvagni
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:06 pm
Posts: 27743
Location: Half back flank
I'm mainly invested on behalf of my 8 y.o. these days. It's been a bloody hard sell.

_________________
#DonTheStash


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:38 pm 
Offline
Wayne Johnston
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:32 am
Posts: 8818
Couldn't agree more. It's so sad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:49 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 15752
Location: Bondi Beach
I'm rusted on.

Ive been through the glory days since 1968.
Ive been through the Dark Days 2002-2020.

I'm still here supporting the Bluebagger.

The team will be here tomorrow and in 50 years time.
There will be ups and downs.

I have seen the light since we built our spine end of 2015.
I've seen our potential when Charlie kicked 7 vs Doggies.

Today, we are not quite there.
Greatest losing margin 28 points.
Last year we lost 6 games by less than a goal.

We have 15 really really good footballers under 27yo on our list.
Injuries have not allowed for continuity and gelling the team.

The game plan will improve because we are a better club than any other time this millenia.

I kick out my kids from lounge when they are hurt by ther efforts displayed by a few individuals.

When you are used to winning flags and games in general, losing sucks.

Suck it up. I don't feel entitled. I feel like a football supporter.

Only Geelong has remained competitive throughout this millenia. Think about that.

Our time will come sooner than later.
I know we are not that far away.
Same to Sawyers. He wants it sorted now, so we get on with the plan to the 17th Flag.

_________________
Lets stick together. Don't believe everything Robinson, Landsberger and Cornes say about Carlton. Shock jocks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:53 pm 
Offline
Wayne Johnston

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:59 am
Posts: 8517
I have been a supporter since 1953 and have been a member for many years

What is going on is nothing new to this club

Hopefully they will work their way through it

_________________
Cheats never prosper (except in the AFL)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:05 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:55 pm
Posts: 1150
Still watch full games.... just when I thought we are getting it together like I did last year and some parts this year too as ball movement was exceptional sometimes...I still think we are travelling as expected and I dont think my expectations are low as fully aware we have the worst midfield in the competition and been that case past five years. We dont have any dominant rucks and two good midfielders out of six available positions in that area. Bookends are AA quality and have solid support players in that area. Didnt help we played top four quality sides with a horrible injury list this team couldnt afford.

Perfect storm I guess. Maybe the club will now pull its finger out and finally do something with that midfield - taking far too long.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:11 pm 
Offline
Rod Ashman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:35 pm
Posts: 2352
bondiblue wrote:
I'm rusted on.

Ive been through the glory days since 1968.
Ive been through the Dark Days 2002-2020.

I'm still here supporting the Bluebagger.

The team will be here tomorrow and in 50 years time.
There will be ups and downs.

I have seen the light since we built our spine end of 2015.
I've seen our potential when Charlie kicked 7 vs Doggies.

Today, we are not quite there.
Greatest losing margin 28 points.
Last year we lost 6 games by less than a goal.

We have 15 really really good footballers under 27yo on our list.
Injuries have not allowed for continuity and gelling the team.

The game plan will improve because we are a better club than any other time this millenia.

I kick out my kids from lounge when they are hurt by ther efforts displayed by a few individuals.

When you are used to winning flags and games in general, losing sucks.

Suck it up. I don't feel entitled. I feel like a football supporter.

Only Geelong has remained competitive throughout this millenia. Think about that.

Our time will come sooner than later.
I know we are not that far away.
Same to Sawyers. He wants it sorted now, so we get on with the plan to the 17th Flag.


Love your optimism Bondi (and proliferative posting) … and yes, things can change quite quickly.
I’m sure it will. It’s just a matter of when and to what degree.
We’re just at a pretty low ebb right now though.

_________________
I just want my old club back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:22 pm 
Offline
John Nicholls
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:12 am
Posts: 9825
Location: Coburg
It still burns
each loss, each opportunity not taken...

we are the Wickerman, we burn annually, have for twenty years now
but I remember, I remember the days of spring and summer,
the days when the boys danced in the sun,
when it rained goals to the Heatley stand end
when fists would thump the advertising signs like thunder!

I remember the shadow of Big Nick
the courage of Hunter
the sticky hands of Swan Mckay
the glory pf the Buzz, the hardness of The Dominator, the absolute pure joy of watching Jezza soar and land, hustle through packs and hunt that ball like no other –
I remember them all because I was granted a gift, the gift of seeing when we played tall.

Now, now I see the fall, it burns, it flares each weekend, it sears deep into the heart,
deep into the playground
where that little boy I was still lives, him with his football
and the number four on his back that became 11 for Ragsy when he got older,
and that little boy weeps a bit every weekend when we lose
its the sheer lunacy of these last twenty odd years
its the fear of becoming Fitzroy
its the shock...I know how that army felt when Goliath fell to the little stone

we have become what we were not
we are lost, we are headless, heartless, soulless.

My son shrugs each and every game, he's used to this carnage
was only a babe in 95, his real years have been from 2000 through to now
mine were through the sixties, the seventies, the eighties and nineties....
how can we compare his Bluebaggers to mine?

We cannot
We cannot!


When I am gone I wonder who in my family will hurt
not my son, and maybe, if we are not careful no one after.

_________________
Title: Catalina
Author: Danny Fahey
Publisher: Dragonfall Press (http://www.dragonfallpress.com)
http://dannybfahey.blogspot.com.au/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:10 pm 
Offline
Ken Hands
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 pm
Posts: 476
kennyhunter wrote:
Anyone else miss getting nervous and anxious these days?
When there is something on the line? When there is so much to gain ... but also to lose.
Only the fear of losing to the despicable Essendrugs gets the nerves tingling these days.
The West Coast game was watched in an almost detached stupor.
No highs, no lows ... just a dull sense of I-know-where-this-is-going.
And sure enough ...
It might be worse than the Dark Days, when all we had was a flash of Andrew Walker brilliance and the hope engendered by gilt-edged end-of-season draft picks to sustain us.
A time when you thought things just couldn't get any worse.
But they have, because we know they can do better.
They just keep letting us down … and many are beaten into submission.
Punch drunk, like the coach - who looks exhausted and clueless.

Who else is relieved there is no match this weekend?
Who else has stopped watching games from start to finish?
Who else just shrugs in pathetic submission when heckled by a mate or work colleague about your team?
Who else wonders if their kids will go through with their threats to actually jump off the Bluebagger wagon?
Who else is sick of dimwitted commentators patronising our club?

Twenty years of misery hasn't quite extinguished the passion but, boy, it's been buried deep, waiting for some form of resurrection.
Oh to be an excited and a proud Blue again.

All we can do it hang in there … (and get a new game plan and/or coach)


I feel exactly the same way. Well articulated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:15 pm 
Offline
Serge Silvagni
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:19 am
Posts: 977
Location: Melbourne
Thanks once again Bondiblue for your optimism
Cheers :thumbsup:
I'm going to watch the 1995 Grand Final again tonight.

_________________
Our tradition demands success!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:33 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 15752
Location: Bondi Beach
CFC8795 wrote:
Thanks once again Bondiblue for your optimism
Cheers :thumbsup:
I'm going to watch the 1995 Grand Final again tonight.



Watch the Carlton vs Lions game at The dome: Teague's first game as interim coach.

We were 42 points down at 1/4 time....and we fight every inch to win.

Have a look at the personnel. A lot of those names are still on our list.

Can they find that desire again. It wasn't that long ago.

_________________
Lets stick together. Don't believe everything Robinson, Landsberger and Cornes say about Carlton. Shock jocks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:35 pm 
Offline
Serge Silvagni
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:19 am
Posts: 977
Location: Melbourne
We have had some good wins under Teague

_________________
Our tradition demands success!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:52 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick

Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 4647
Location: Bridge, Starship Enterprise
If anyone wants to put a smile on their face and I know it has been awhile, find a copy of the 1972 Grand Final where the tiges kicked a record grand final score only to lose to the mighty blues. :thumbsup:

As usual, I was there.


Nowadays I just get a headache. :cry:

_________________
"Get ready, Teddy - you're on": Ron Barassi half time 1970 Grand Final


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:18 pm 
Offline
Robert Walls
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 3623
I'm goin' nowhere.I'm hangin' in no matter what.......................cant see why anyone would contemplate anything else.

_________________
All my dangerous friends


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:26 pm 
Offline
Alex Jesaulenko
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 22689
Location: Kaloyasena
Aside from everyone thinks about me constantly criticising and torching the club for their inane decisions and poor management over the past 20 years - come game time I turn into “feral supporter” and get exceedingly P1S5ed when we are losing, getting stiffed by the umpires and when we lose.

And everyone in the family knows what poor company I am after a loss - needless to say I’ve been generally very poor company for most of the past 20 years.


:oops: :lol:

_________________
"Hence you will not say that Greeks fight like heroes but that heroes fight like Greeks"?

Winston Churchill


Message to “you know who you are” - my name is not Chris or Carrot and I’ve been happily married for 31 years and still going strong.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:30 pm 
Offline
Robert Walls

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:28 pm
Posts: 3886
kennyhunter wrote:
Only the fear of losing to the despicable Essendrugs gets the nerves tingling these days.

X 2

_________________
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:31 pm 
Offline
Ken Hands

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:40 pm
Posts: 470
footy has slowly died for me ... and im hanging by a thread ...

i miss the old social club .. nothing better than being in my early 20's heading to the game, going to the top level of the social club and having a few beers and watching the game ... that was the pinnacle for me. Did it every home game, even though the tram ride was a nightmare.

then we got shafted and moved to Etihad, social club was never the same and something was lost

then we got shafted by the afl, the club has taken twenty years and still not quite there and something was lost

then we started to lose our way, and would rather get draft picks than win, and something was lost

then we sacked ratten for malthouse, and something was lost

then we tinkered with the game, and suddenly cheats where rewarded (diving for a free kick "is professional"), and soemthing was lost

then we penalise the person going for the ball, becuase they have 5 blokes on top of him and he cant get it out, and something was lost

then we plowman gets two weeks, for playing football, and something was lost

the game has changed, and its hasnt always change for the good, and something was lost

then we go through all that shit, and start to hopefully develop something, but it hasnt happened, and something was lost

every test we face, for the last 18 months we have failed, and something was lost

just about think, if they dont get the latest "review" right, something will be lost

not sure how much more i can take, before i just hand in my membership and be done with the game, but hope springs internal, and i think what if ... what if curnow gets fit, what if cripps gets back to his best form, what if walsh gets even better, what if we get some decent assistnants to help teague ... and what if, what if we get to finals again ... and what if we win the big one ... then something will be lost ... most likely my wallet, phone and keys as i will be too drunk to give a shit about anything ....

stupid optimism!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:17 am
Posts: 13779
Location: threeohfivethree
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
footy has slowly died for me ... and im hanging by a thread ...

i miss the old social club .. nothing better than being in my early 20's heading to the game, going to the top level of the social club and having a few beers and watching the game ... that was the pinnacle for me. Did it every home game, even though the tram ride was a nightmare.

then we got shafted and moved to Etihad, social club was never the same and something was lost

then we got shafted by the afl, the club has taken twenty years and still not quite there and something was lost

then we started to lose our way, and would rather get draft picks than win, and something was lost

then we sacked ratten for malthouse, and something was lost

then we tinkered with the game, and suddenly cheats where rewarded (diving for a free kick "is professional"), and soemthing was lost

then we penalise the person going for the ball, becuase they have 5 blokes on top of him and he cant get it out, and something was lost

then we plowman gets two weeks, for playing football, and something was lost

the game has changed, and its hasnt always change for the good, and something was lost

then we go through all that shit, and start to hopefully develop something, but it hasnt happened, and something was lost

every test we face, for the last 18 months we have failed, and something was lost

just about think, if they dont get the latest "review" right, something will be lost

not sure how much more i can take, before i just hand in my membership and be done with the game, but hope springs internal, and i think what if ... what if curnow gets fit, what if cripps gets back to his best form, what if walsh gets even better, what if we get some decent assistnants to help teague ... and what if, what if we get to finals again ... and what if we win the big one ... then something will be lost ... most likely my wallet, phone and keys as i will be too drunk to give a shit about anything ....

stupid optimism!!


Not so rapted then...

_________________
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

H.L.Mencken (1920)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blue Vain, BluGal, frank dardew, Google [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group