Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm 
Banned

Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:
You cant yell at players when morale is down or you're beating a dead horse has no impact and lose dressing room.

Bolton has yelling at his players after a loss in the Clarko style and lost his job because of it - simple man management when morale is low you must and have to encourage players and work them hard.

And how is Teague's patting on the back, she'll be right mate attitude going for us?
We need a hard coaching mindset and if the players can't handle that, then move them on.
Simple, we're not running a child care facility.

You can't move on the players... you can't yell at them all the time - . Being a hard ass is easy and needs to be done properly - its imperative the coach has close relationships with players.. their best football will come when morale and confidence is high.

How's that working for us?
It sounds like your solution is to let the tail wag the dog.
And you can move on the players, it's what the top clubs do all the time.
They either buy into the clubs plan and culture or they're out, something we are yet to do since moving on Robbo and Garlett.
You can't win premierships with hugs and feel good stories.

The best coach I had, I hated him.
But he still got us to win games and be successful.
Your fellow players are your mates.

I think we are travelling to expectations - I said pre season we are 12-6 on the ladder side to go in top eight we need everything to go right for us. I don't blame the supporters having lofty expectations this year albeit to my mind it was unrealistic. We don't have a midfield.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:

I think we are travelling to expectations - I said pre season we are 12-6 on the ladder side to go in top eight we need everything to go right for us. I don't blame the supporters having lofty expectations this year albeit to my mind it was unrealistic. We don't have a midfield.

The only thing I can agree with is we don't have a "mature" "developed" midfield.
You can blame the coach on that, not developing the current talent by playing the seniors all the time to solely win games and only wanting to target running HB defenders in last years trade period at a ridiculous cost too.
We are going backwards at a rapid rate and the way we are travelling at the moment, 12 would be an achievement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 pm 
Banned

Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

The only thing I can agree with is we don't have a "mature" "developed" midfield.
You can blame the coach on that, not developing the current talent by playing the seniors all the time to solely win games and only wanting to target running HB defenders in last years trade period at a ridiculous cost too.
We are going backwards at a rapid rate and the way we are travelling at the moment, 12 would be an achievement.

Too easy to blame the coach when players never really had the appetite for the contest and making constant skill errors.

They are just high draft picks that havent come on... no biggie its happened to all clubs. Even Richmond, Geelong, Bulldogs and Melbourne.

More positives than negatives when it comes to young players from Owies to Walsh. Club is doing the right thing allowing Honey to develop properly he is improving every game and will likely get his chance in coming weeks.
Club is doing the right thing by Philp,Kemp, Carrol and Durdin let them improve their game and introduce them around experienced players.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Too easy to blame the coach when players never really had the appetite for the contest and making constant skill errors.

They are just high draft picks that havent come on... no biggie its happened to all clubs. Even Richmond, Geelong, Bulldogs and Melbourne.

More positives than negatives when it comes to young players from Owies to Walsh. Club is doing the right thing allowing Honey to develop properly he is improving every game and will likely get his chance in coming weeks.
Club is doing the right thing by Philp,Kemp, Carrol and Durdin let them improve their game and introduce them around experienced players.

This would all be valid except for the fact, Dow and SPS were both playing good football and developing nicely pre Teague.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:24 pm 
Banned

Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

This would all be valid except for the fact, Dow and SPS were both playing good football and developing nicely pre Teague.

Maybe - depends how you viewed it. Dow and SPS got more minutes but lets not forget Cripps was dominating the midfield on his own. Teague and probably Dow havent had the luxury.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:

Maybe - depends how you viewed it. Dow and SPS got more minutes but lets not forget Cripps was dominating the midfield on his own. Teague and probably Dow havent had the luxury.

I think you're forgetting mid 2019 when Teague came on board and straight away moved the old boys back into the middle to solely win games.
It was a luxury he had but he chose the short term option and now it's come back at him 2 fold.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:33 pm 
Banned

Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

I think you're forgetting mid 2019 when Teague came on board and straight away moved the old boys back into the middle to solely win games.
It was a luxury he had but he chose the short term option and now it's come back at him 2 fold.

Wow Teague is really in a bad spot.

Win games - sack
Lose games - sack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Win games - sack
Lose games - sack

I think you missed the point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

Let's not forget how deep in despair we were at the time Teague took over. We were not only losing every week, we were completely and utterly uncompetitive, and never looked like kicking 10 goals in a game again, let alone winning one. I cannot see how a young champion would have grown out of that environment, we were finished. The Teague boost was absolutely necessary, it's just a shame the club failed to capitalise, instead seeming to believe we just needed to add a couple of prime-age players and we'd have it all worked out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Win games - sack
Lose games - sack

We as in CFC, have done the right thing, and didn’t go down the Collingwood road over the break.
It is however now, up to Teague. He needs to start showing us he can do what is needed to be successful. There is no return, the ball is in his court.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

Walsh he is the author of his own destiny Teague has had this side for almost 2 years and they are playing his brand of footy -a brand that has resulted in no finals and being 4 wins out of 12 in the present season
He had the opportunity over the pre season to home our game and game plan and we have gone backwards
There are very few players who are playing better than last season and there seems very little development in the younger players
He needs in the next 10 weeks to show he deserves another season and with him at the helm in the future are not stagnating
He needs to show he can be versatile in his coaching

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:32 pm 
Banned

We seem to forget 2019 wasn't long ago and we were a total rabble.
We also seem to forget 2020 the players were in hub life and missed out on the facilities at Princes Park under a new coach.
We also seem to forget we played all top four teams within six weeks with a horrid injury list and midfield that lacks elite talent - past two games was a drop in morale more than anything and the boys need a break but need to lift second half of year. Doesn't discount the fact the midfield is full of turn over merchants where half cant tackle kicking the ball bllindly rather than finishing plays. We can't compete against top eight midfield luckily our forward line and backline is as close to elite as you can get.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Walsh wrote:
We also seem to forget 2020 the players were in hub life and missed out on the facilities at Princes Park under a new coach.
We also seem to forget we played all top four teams within six weeks with a horrid injury list and midfield that lacks elite talent - past two games was a drop in morale more than anything and the boys need a break but need to lift second half of year. Doesn't discount the fact the midfield is full of turn over merchants where half cant tackle kicking the ball bllindly rather than finishing plays. We can't compete against top eight midfield luckily our forward line and backline is as close to elite as you can get.

Actually, it's eerily like 2019. Up until a couple of weeks before Bolt's got sacked, we were in pretty much every game. We lost to GC by point, hawks by 5 points. A lack of self belief cost us wins against Port and Swans. In fact, it the ladder was based on quarters won, we would have been in the 8. Then the bottom fell out. We put in 2 or 3 horrible games and Bolt's was gone.
Only differences were we were a young and developing team. Now all those young guys who were developing have regressed under Teague. Granted the bottom has fallen out yet, but I get the feeling that is only a matter of time.
Up until yesterday, I was on the fence and thought if we could get Teague better help, he may be ok. Now, I am more convinced than ever. He has to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Walsh wrote:
We can't compete against top eight midfield luckily our forward line and backline is as close to elite as you can get.

Our forward line isn't closer to elite.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

Not sure our backline is elite either

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:54 pm 
Banned

rhino27 wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Actually, it's eerily like 2019. Up until a couple of weeks before Bolt's got sacked, we were in pretty much every game. We lost to GC by point, hawks by 5 points. A lack of self belief cost us wins against Port and Swans. In fact, it the ladder was based on quarters won, we would have been in the 8. Then the bottom fell out. We put in 2 or 3 horrible games and Bolt's was gone.
Only differences were we were a young and developing team. Now all those young guys who were developing have regressed under Teague. Granted the bottom has fallen out yet, but I get the feeling that is only a matter of time.
Up until yesterday, I was on the fence and thought if we could get Teague better help, he may be ok. Now, I am more convinced than ever. He has to go.

I respect your opinion but strongly disagree. We were never in it in games under Bolton. Largest defeat under Teague is 31 points and in it in all games - chocked against Bulldogs and Richmond and should have beaten them. We couldnt say we were in games under Bolton we were getting flogged to nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 pm 
Banned

Blue Vain wrote:
Walsh wrote:
We can't compete against top eight midfield luckily our forward line and backline is as close to elite as you can get.

Our forward line isn't closer to elite.

Yes it is. Other than forward tackling pressure everything else is top notch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:56 pm 
Banned

frank dardew wrote:
Not sure our backline is elite either

Thats the midfield not able to cut supply not the backline.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

With nowadays Harry and 2-years-ago Charlie playing together we might have an elite forward line, but if my aunty had bollocks etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:05 pm 
Banned

A couple of elite midfielders that know how to kick to hit up targets - H will be getting two defenders all game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next