Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

jim wrote:
Let's hope we can bring the pressure tomorrow.

Just watched a game against Hawthorn in 1995. Comparing it to now, in every aspect, was like comparing chalk and cheese. So well drilled and understood every move of their teammates. Never seen pressure, hardness, skill like it and still don't see it in the current era from any side. Forgot what it was like. Hawthorn were physically and mentally shattered mess by the last qtr. I've never been big on ruck stuff but watching Madden I forgot what the craft was like. Won near every tap, tapped with authority, knew where he was tapping, and the Carlton mids, knew where it was coming, read it so well and jumped on it like a seagull on a hot chip. His tap work made Nic Nat to his mids look like an amateur. There was barely one out of the centre didn't go to advantage. Must've been 90% to advantage out of the centre.

Where did it all go? Admittedly that was one of the great individual sides of all time but still, we are the opposite that side in every respect. It's a reminder of what we need to bring if we are ever going to rise right up the ladder again.

Do yourself a favour & watch the first qtr of us & Geelong at PP the same year, one of the best quarters of footy you'll ever see. Both teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:
jim wrote:

Just watched a game against Hawthorn in 1995. Comparing it to now, in every aspect, was like comparing chalk and cheese. So well drilled and understood every move of their teammates. Never seen pressure, hardness, skill like it and still don't see it in the current era from any side. Forgot what it was like. Hawthorn were physically and mentally shattered mess by the last qtr. I've never been big on ruck stuff but watching Madden I forgot what the craft was like. Won near every tap, tapped with authority, knew where he was tapping, and the Carlton mids, knew where it was coming, read it so well and jumped on it like a seagull on a hot chip. His tap work made Nic Nat to his mids look like an amateur. There was barely one out of the centre didn't go to advantage. Must've been 90% to advantage out of the centre.

Where did it all go? Admittedly that was one of the great individual sides of all time but still, we are the opposite that side in every respect. It's a reminder of what we need to bring if we are ever going to rise right up the ladder again.

Do yourself a favour & watch the first qtr of us & Geelong at PP the same year, one of the best quarters of footy you'll ever see. Both teams.

Oh the good old days, took it for granted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
jim wrote:

Probably the best and most exhilarating game of football I’ve ever seen at Princes Park.

:thumbsup:

Although I would have liked to have been at the Carlton -v- Geelong game 23rd June 1990 when we came back from 48 points down to win - but had another more pressing engagement that day - the birth of my beautiful daughter.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

Last edited by AGRO on Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Crusader wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
on sen saying that we are playing wce reserves side/ must win by 5 goals to shut everyone up or if we lose media trucks will be a PP monday

Better chance for a quote if they roll up to Sydney.

Just saying...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Unless I miss my guess we are going to get schooled in how a serious AFL team performs with their replacement players performing their roles.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

Effes wrote:
Cottrell DE was 30% last week.

How does he maintain his spot?

Maybe as a young player he is given a block of games to show his wares. Now if the MC was consistent I could live with that.

But he has been given his chance so back to the VFL to find form.

So how about Dow who was showing something before being dropped under the guise of injury, Parks, and Honey at the least be given the same opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

jamespul65 wrote:
on sen saying that we are playing wce reserves side/ must win by 5 goals to shut everyone up or if we lose media trucks will be a PP monday

Good! Whilst it is annoying that the media consistently ignores our injury issues and keeps giving them to our opposition, it is good for us to be put under pressure and to be doubted by the media/public.
We haven't exactly done a lot to engender trust and respect from the footy world. We need to earn that. Melbourne is only now just starting to begin to somewhat earn it after losing only one match by just one point... we have a lot of work to do to earn it.

It took the Geelong handbags a premiership before they began to be taken seriously. And let's not get started on the Colliwobbles, or Ninthmond!

We are playing an undermanned West Coast side. We should beat them, even with our undermanned team. And I'm fine with the heat being applied. Bring it on!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

OUT: L Fogarty (managed), Gibbons (inj), Casboult
IN: P Dow, Z Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

Fish and Dow in

Levi Gibbons Fogarty out

Happy with those changes. Thank @#$%&! the TDK Levi Pitto disaster has been aborted. Would much prefer SPS on the wing over Cottrell, but this MC is never going to get them all right. This week is better than most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Effes wrote:
OUT: L Fogarty (managed), Gibbons (inj), Casboult
IN: P Dow, Z Fisher

Murphy into the 22 also for those playing at home

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

jake_h03 wrote:
Fish and Dow in

Levi Gibbons Fogarty out

Happy with those changes. Thank @#$%&! the TDK Levi Pitto disaster has been aborted. Would much prefer SPS on the wing over Cottrell, but this MC is never going to get them all right. This week is better than most

I'm still not confident on a win.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

Fogarty sub?

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

AGRO wrote:
CK95 wrote:
jim wrote:

Probably the best and most exhilarating game of football I’ve ever seen at Princes Park.

Although I would have liked to have been at the Carlton -v- Geelong game 23rd June 1990 when we came back from 48 points down to win - but had another more pressing engagement that day - the birth of my beautiful daughter.

i'm thinking that makes you pretty old now...lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
jim wrote:

I remember that one. One of the really great examples of our game by both side.

Next time they played it was one of the great of examples of our game by one side. :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:26 pm 
Craig Bradley

Official;

In: Dow, Fisher.

Our: Casboult (omitted), Gibbons (inj), Fogarty (managed).

Murphy is in just too after being 23rd man last week

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:26 pm 
Robert Walls

jake_h03 wrote:
Fish and Dow in

Levi Gibbons Fogarty out

this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:35 pm 
Rod Ashman

Another 'must win' game.
I have 'must win' fatigue. :smoking:
Losing doesn't help the situation :garthp:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

jim wrote:
CK95 wrote:
jim wrote:

I remember that one. One of the really great examples of our game by both side.

Next time they played it was one of the great of examples of our game by one side. :grin:
Haha well played.

They humiliated us in 1994...revenge was sweet!

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
CK95 wrote:
jim wrote:

41 points

48 was the Fev Essendon* game :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
AGRO wrote:
CK95 wrote:
jim wrote:

41 points

48 was the Fev Essendon** game :)

FEVOOOLLLLLAAAAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6kvVGPURA

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next