Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 am 
Wayne Johnston

Navy One wrote:
Nothing to see here .... We had 3 goes at trying to get Plowman off. Buddy should be fine :roll:

There'll be the old ..... "Newman wasn't concussed" ruling

https://twitter.com/i/status/1398893102559989766

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:35 am 
Garry Crane

This podcast should be compulsory listening for all Blues supporters ...

'Is it ever OK to abandon your team?' with the ABC listen app https://abclisten.page.link/6PA8MWuRes3ebSHb8

So many comments on here and other forums about “why do we have to put up with the same old sh*t, week after week?”.
And, “why, as a club, have we lost our way so completely?”

And yet, we keep coming back for more. Heck, it’s easier to divorce a long time partner and parent of your kids than it is to divorce your club.

Waleed Aly is a die hard Richmond supporter so knows what it’s like to go through the bad times and good. Scott Stephens is his excellent co-commentator who draws from his love from the Boston Celtics. The podcast is soooo relevant to Carlton - a Club that has lost it’s identity and, subsequently, it’s way.

We, as fans, have been duped by marketing in a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

Interestingly, the guest speaker (name eludes) stresses several times that fans too often underestimate the power they hold. Witness the backlash against the owners of the English soccer clubs who initially signed up to the proposed Super League.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:22 am 
formerly King Kenny

The midfield is just over run every week. Time for throw some kids to the wolves and give them a taste. Just let Dow, Samo play a large % of time in there and see how they finish the year.

We have no hope of finals, so nothing to lose now.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:28 am 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
Name one good thing Teague has done. Something sustainable. And don't mention the development of the no.1 picks or the no.10 pick.

Sanitation?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:30 am 
Harry Vallence

just .. deflated

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:35 am 
Harry Vallence

I thought a tough old bastard like Madhouse was what we needed to stir up our underperforming players; that worked well.

So, as coach we've tried tough guys, nice guys, and still we are crap. A new shrink? New line coaches? Other than that I've got nothing.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:45 am 
John James

"Sydney kicked an accumulative total of 8.4 to 0.3 during red-time"

Combination physiological & psychological issue?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:51 am 
Stephen Kernahan

windy wrote:

"best fitness bloke in the game"
"recruit of the year"

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:53 am 
Geoff Southby

windy wrote:

Neither...........i reckon its tactics myself.Pretty simple to put a couple of blokes behind the ball.Sorta like you know whats coming so be prepared.............it continually happens so its not like its a surprise.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:56 am 
Rod Ashman

cortez wrote:
I thought a tough old bastard like Madhouse was what we needed to stir up our underperforming players; that worked well.

So, as coach we've tried tough guys, nice guys, and still we are crap. A new shrink? New line coaches? Other than that I've got nothing.

Bring back Jack! We were never this bad back then :yikes: :yikes:

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:57 am 
Garry Crane

Heavs wrote:
"best fitness bloke in the game"
"recruit of the year"

I’m giving him a D minus.

Too many of our blokes just jog back when the ball rebounds, and they don’t stream forward when we intercept.

Only reason he doesn’t get an F is that there is a chance they may just be plain lazy. Even Percy Cerutty can’t fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:18 am 
Bruce Doull

Mickstar wrote:
windy wrote:

Neither...........i reckon its tactics myself.Pretty simple to put a couple of blokes behind the ball.Sorta like you know whats coming so be prepared.............it continually happens so its not like its a surprise.

I actually now think it's a deliberate ploy by opposition coaches.

They all know they just need to hold on while we wastefully use up our tickets, and that when that red-time clock starts ticking they can just hit the accelerator.

Blame Russell all you want, but I still find it telling that only Carlton players he's worked with seem unfit, and it was never an issue at his previous clubs.

Our players are treating quarters like a sprint rather than a marathon, and our strategies force them to bash their heads against brick walls for 20+ minutes every quarter.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:19 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

daggs001 wrote:
From our 2016 and 2017 draft selections only TDK at pick 30 was playing today. Guys who would be 4 and 5 years into the AFL system and improving other teams have been a bust for us.
It's starting to become glaring. Guys like Levi are getting games for the sole reason that the talent bought into the club simply hasnt had the desired effect. Throw in some bad luck with long term injuries to Charlie and Marchbank and it's a cluster @#$%&! .

That is inexcusable. The long term injuries understandable, and a different storyline.

Stephen Silvagni, tell us why this is happening. Maybe Teague can? Andrew Russell? Line coaches?

Before SOS left he said about Gov...he has underperformed and he better get on his bike quick.

We need to know how these guys are being developed and why have they stalled?

Is Gibbons, Cottrell, Murphy, Levi really that much better than these high end draftees languishing in the reserves?
Light bulb moment happens during a game? Reading a book? When?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:25 am 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
Name one good thing Teague has done. Something sustainable. And don't mention the development of the no.1 picks or the no.10 pick.

When Teague took over, we could barely kick a score over 70pts.
Now we score quite well.
When Teague took over, we'd fairly regularly get smashed.
Now we don't.
When Teague took over, our effort and intensity was variable week to week.
That is much better now - we don't give up but we do lapse regularly within games.
Our best now is very competitive; it wasn't when Teague took over.

We have an ongoing fierce debate on TC about whether to play the kids or whether to make them earn it.
I suspect there is a similar debate going on within the MC, although they appear to be prioritising effort and aggression over skill or draft pick number.
At the moment, I believe the difference b/w winning and losing sits more with the players than the coach.

For mine, I think we should be playing Dow, SPS and Parks as well as introducing a few others such as Honey, and Kemp/Carroll/Ramsay when form and fitness warrant.
And by the end of the year, we need to have made definitive calls on O'Brien, Setterfield, Kennedy, and Williamson - do they have a future as senior players or will they only ever be back-up, depth players if the need arises.

So who should make way? I think the most vulnerable from Sunday are: Casboult, Gibbons, Owies, Murphy, Betts, and Setterfield.

I think Owies is doing well and he is learning every game he plays, so he should stay in for them moment. Gibbons has probably reached his ceiling. But, if we are going to play him, I wouldn't be averse to giving him more of a crack in the midfield before we finalise our view of him. Murphy has two sides - good vision and skills in a team lacking both but not accountable/tough enough defensively in a team that can't afford defensive holes. Betts is in good form at the moment so I'd stick with that but by the end of the year, I'd expect others to be taking his spot - either due to form or to give opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
They went to Perth and lost to Freo in the wet, but finished all over us in the last. Paging Andrew Russell...

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

Questions are being asked for a while now.

WE had a red time issue with most oppositions running over us in red time.

2 years ago, 2019, before the reduction of length of quarters Russell said boys are primed to run out games.
Come the Covid quarters in 2020 (reduced to 16 min qtr) and Russell says boys will be running in the last.

Another preseason to top up what Russell has built and...

Red time scores Sydney 8.4 to Carltons 0.3

That gives me a picture. A picture of deception. A picture of failure. A picture of a lack of progress.

There's a fitness issue. Not sure how much that influences the results, but have a look at red time scores. Its an issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

And the Fogarty shot at goal, seriously what the hell?

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

Which one? What happened?

Was that the one that didn't make the distance from 30 out?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cortez wrote:
When I heard that Swans had lost a hard game in the West, in the wet to Freo I thought. "Beauty, if we are with them at 3/4 time we should run over them".

Every other team fails after playing out in the west ... and in the rain, you'd expect some weary legs.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:34 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Now we score quite well.
Now we don't.
That is much better now - we don't give up but we do lapse regularly within games.

We have an ongoing fierce debate on TC about whether to play the kids or whether to make them earn it.
I suspect there is a similar debate going on within the MC, although they appear to be prioritising effort and aggression over skill or draft pick number.
At the moment, I believe the difference b/w winning and losing sits more with the players than the coach.

For mine, I think we should be playing Dow, SPS and Parks as well as introducing a few others such as Honey, and Kemp/Carroll/Ramsay when form and fitness warrant.
And by the end of the year, we need to have made definitive calls on O'Brien, Setterfield, Kennedy, and Williamson - do they have a future as senior players or will they only ever be back-up, depth players if the need arises.

So who should make way? I think the most vulnerable from Sunday are: Casboult, Gibbons, Owies, Murphy, Betts, and Setterfield.

I think Owies is doing well and he is learning every game he plays, so he should stay in for them moment. Gibbons has probably reached his ceiling. But, if we are going to play him, I wouldn't be averse to giving him more of a crack in the midfield before we finalise our view of him. Murphy has two sides - good vision and skills in a team lacking both but not accountable/tough enough defensively in a team that can't afford defensive holes. Betts is in good form at the moment so I'd stick with that but by the end of the year, I'd expect others to be taking his spot - either due to form or to give opportunity.

Have you seen Carroll play? He can't even make it in the VFL right now. He is a long way off being anywhere near close to AFL ready. Injuries and too young.

Ramsay also is not ready.

Honey should be in the team. He looks like a half forward who ticks all the boxes. It is ridiculous he isn't in the team. Coach and MC favouring players who are taking us nowhere.

Kemp should be brought in as soon as possible. He showed last week he knows how to find it, so I can't see the logic of keeping him in the VFL too long. And if the lockdown persists even more reason to blood him in the AFL. No games is no development.

The season is done. Time to play the talented kids.

Honey down one end, Kemp down the other, Dow and Sammo in the midfield.

I would also make some big statements at the selection table. Big names should be dropped. Not just the ex captain but a current captain too. The standards just aren't being set by the coach nor the leaders.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:36 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Now we score quite well.
Now we don't.

Gibbons cannot play midfield. He is simply too small and his tackles don't stick. He is a wingman but even there let's be honest we need someone better.
He certainly has hit his ceiling and it isn't high enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
Sometimes you need an outsider perspective to cut through the bullshit and see things for what they are...
Quote:
Carlton just don't know how to win. I watched the whole game today, you guys were the better team till 3/4 time but you never got the lead you deserved off general play. Not sure how Carlton fix this but just like the Dogs game which I also watched you were all over them but just couldn't capitalize, then the ball goes down the other end and the oppo undo all your hard work. You have some genuine elite players now but the development of the role players seems shithouse and the gameplan IMO sucks. I don't see a huge difference between Carltons list and the lists of the top 6 clubs, the problem you rely on individual brilliance each week to get you wins against anyone outside the bottom four and a list like this shouldn't need that.

You need to fu** off all the assistants that have been there longer than 1-2 year and get some fresh ideas in the box. Teams score way too easily against Carlton for a side that has a good back 6 and you still have to work so hard to score yourselves.

Hate to say this, let alone think it, but I think I'd prefer Ross Lyon directing the game plan and instructing and developing role players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next