Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Also - as the alternate long time driver of the "Marc C is the reason we are so shit bus" I have to say I appreciated his game today

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:09 pm 
Garry Crane

The_Cranium wrote:
Awful game. Awful. Yes it was nice to beat a bogey side... but fmd, this is a team that is battling it out for the spoon. Better than honourable loss but it's hard to get excited by this effort. Weitering was excellent. Doc pretty good. Walsh great but slowed a little. Stocker showing plenty but FFS just play him in the midfield. He belongs there. Saad good.

Then there's the other side of it. Just stop playing Cripps. Give him a month off. Williams too. Gibbons awful. Setterfield average. Cotteral tries hard but just not good enough. At least there's effort. Jones when he is bad reminds you why he was on the scrapheap a few years ago. Today he was bad. Plowman, it's all been said before. Not saying it again. Match committee must see something I sure as @#$%&! don't. But who else comes in for him?

@#$%&! Hawthorn. @#$%&! Clarkson. I really wanted to crush them. Hope this is the start of many years of beating the poo and wee

Cheer up..take the win

Cripps and Williams were in our best
Cripps had it 25 times, 5 clearances a goal assist and 10 tackles
Very solid game - not sure a month off is a good idea
Williams played his best game for the club. Had plenty of ball, offered rebound, hit targets and gained 764 metres

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

We were able to get the job done, and get a much needed win. Everyone contributed to some extent.
Weiters, Walsh, Ed, Docherty, Williams, Saad and Eddie.
Best game we've seen from Cripps for a while.
Owies continues to do well.
Occasionally gets found out, but like what Stocker is showing. His grunt is good. And he's now showing his skills.
Probably the best Setterfield has looked this year.
Great seeing De Koning back in the side. We got a lot more out of our resting ruckman than we've been getting out of Levi.
Nice to hear Teague gave them a bake at half time. And credit for swapping Williams into defence, and Docherty into midfield.

Cons:

We sure make things hard. If we hadn't gone to sleep for the final 5 minutes in the 2nd quarter, could have been a much more comfortable victory.
Still think we're leaking far too many goals out the back. Against better sides, who control the ball better, it spells disaster. Not convinced we've solved our obvious structural problems.
Jones made some awful defensive decisions.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

Teague absolutely sprayed them big time at half time focussing on the defensive aspects of our game as a team. Second half was different. 5.5 to 2.3 so obviously he got through to them.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

We kicked pretty well today too. Scoring those early goals helps.

I didn't mind Murph today. That goal before 3/4 time was nice. You know Cripps would have missed...

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

We were able to get the job done, and get a much needed win. Everyone contributed to some extent.
Weiters, Walsh, Ed, Docherty, Williams, Saad and Eddie.
Best game we've seen from Cripps for a while.
Owies continues to do well.
Occasionally gets found out, but like what Stocker is showing. His grunt is good. And he's now showing his skills.
Probably the best Setterfield has looked this year.
Great seeing De Koning back in the side. We got a lot more out of our resting ruckman than we've been getting out of Levi.
Nice to hear Teague gave them a bake at half time. And credit for swapping Williams into defence, and Docherty into midfield.

Cons:

We sure make things hard. If we hadn't gone to sleep for the final 5 minutes in the 2nd quarter, could have been a much more comfortable victory.
Still think we're leaking far too many goals out the back. Against better sides, who control the ball better, it spells disaster. Not convinced we've solved our obvious structural problems.
Jones made some awful defensive decisions.

Notice after half time, after Teague sprayed them about their defensive efforts, that they only scored 2.3.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yes better defensive efforts but Hawks Clanger kings worse than us and lost against North so let’s see against a better side yhis great defence mechanism

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

Went along to the game.
It was great to sit in our own seats again and catch up with other supporters we hadn't seen in almost 2 years.
Game itself was pretty ordinary but will take a win any day, especially against this mob.
Walsh was amazing, as was Saad.
Curnow had a great game as did Docherty.
Williams played his best game for us and it was nice to see the players get around him when he kicked the goal.
The crowd reaction when McKay kicked that goal in the last quarter was pretty special.
Looks like we got through the game without any injuries.
I heard that Teague gave the players a huge spray at half time. I am glad he gave it to them, they deserved it and it worked.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:42 pm 
Ken Hunter

robertbb wrote:
Just settling in to watch the replay.

Happened to be on the same flight as the Port Adelaide players/coaches from Adelaide to Melbourne today. When we took off we were 4 goals up. Landed and it was only a few points late in the third.

Saw Connor Rozee check the scores of our match the minute the plane landed and he turned to Alir Alir and said 'Carlton choking as usual'.

So there it is - from the horses mouth what we're thought of amongst the playing ranks.
Still mad about the 2019 Rising Star I see...

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

Just so frustrating to watch for the most part. Really wanted the killer instinct to go in at half time 5 goals up, & we just didn't bring it. No wonder our crowds just seem so dispassionate this year.

We still need to get better at keeping it in our forward 50. It just seems to bounce out too easily too often

To our credit good to see us really tighten up & kill the contest in the last, like we did against gold coast. It's a sign of progress on an otherwise pretty meh day.

Really liked stocker's game. I'm not as annoyed about him playing HB as others...his time will come & for now he's giving us value in the firsts & looks like we got a draft pick right. It's all good

& well done to Harry. Sign of a good player when you can have a not so great day & still kick a couple, including the sealer :)

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Refreshingly blunt presser from Teague - calling out some of the piss poor efforts during the day, despite winning the game.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:28 pm 
Bob Chitty

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
No mention of JSOS so far, I loved his game. He is a very smart footballer and provides a very important link up option and structure to the forward line.

He isn't particularly gifted athletically or skill wise (compared to the general body of AFL players) but the kid knows how to football and gives it his all. Very important player to us.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
The last time Carlton beat Hawthorn at the MCG was the day Sam Walsh was born — July 2, 2000.

Happy 21st Present early

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:12 am 
John James

Williams played in position where he doesn't have to run around chasing the ball and gains 100+ meters more (764 m) than the next best player on the ground (Saad 654 m) and kicks his first goal. Pushed Docherty out of defence to wing he has one of his best since coming back and comes in third Carlotn player for MG at 533 m. Glad the coaches worked that one out! (And nice to see Setter come in at #4, pity he missed those two goals).

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:14 am 
Rod Ashman

robertbb wrote:
Saw Connor Rozee check the scores of our match the minute the plane landed and he turned to Alir Alir and said 'Carlton choking as usual'.

Funny stuff from a flat track bully :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:15 am 
John James

showbag wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Funny stuff from a flat track bully :roll:

weird for a team that only beat us after the siren last year...

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Just so frustrating to watch for the most part. Really wanted the killer instinct to go in at half time 5 goals up, & we just didn't bring it. No wonder our crowds just seem so dispassionate this year.

We still need to get better at keeping it in our forward 50. It just seems to bounce out too easily too often

To our credit good to see us really tighten up & kill the contest in the last, like we did against gold coast. It's a sign of progress on an otherwise pretty meh day.

Really liked stocker's game. I'm not as annoyed about him playing HB as others...his time will come & for now he's giving us value in the firsts & looks like we got a draft pick right. It's all good

& well done to Harry. Sign of a good player when you can have a not so great day & still kick a couple, including the sealer :)

Good post CK. Your point about Stocker is spot on. He was given an opportunity in the midfield last week and struggled. No centre clearances out of 10 CBA's and minimal impact elsewhere. They gave him the big job on Bruest yesterday and he acquitted himself reasonably well in general play. More possessions than he had playing as a midfielder and more impact IMHO. He'll get his chances in the middle but he has to grasp them when they come.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:00 am 
Rod Ashman

Heavs wrote:
Also - as the alternate long time driver of the "Marc C is the reason we are so shit bus" I have to say I appreciated his game today

:clap:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:37 am 
formerly King Kenny

robertbb wrote:
Just settling in to watch the replay.

Happened to be on the same flight as the Port Adelaide players/coaches from Adelaide to Melbourne today. When we took off we were 4 goals up. Landed and it was only a few points late in the third.

So there it is - from the horses mouth what we're thought of amongst the playing ranks.

Should’ve told Rozee to look in the mirror. Only one team competing for a Premiership choking against good teams.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:46 am 
formerly King Kenny

The_Cranium wrote:
Awful game. Awful. Yes it was nice to beat a bogey side... but fmd, this is a team that is battling it out for the spoon. Better than honourable loss but it's hard to get excited by this effort. Weitering was excellent. Doc pretty good. Walsh great but slowed a little. Stocker showing plenty but FFS just play him in the midfield. He belongs there. Saad good.

Then there's the other side of it. Just stop playing Cripps. Give him a month off. Williams too. Gibbons awful. Setterfield average. Cotteral tries hard but just not good enough. At least there's effort. Jones when he is bad reminds you why he was on the scrapheap a few years ago. Today he was bad. Plowman, it's all been said before. Not saying it again. Match committee must see something I sure as @#$%&! don't. But who else comes in for him?

@#$%&! Hawthorn. @#$%&! Clarkson. I really wanted to crush them. Hope this is the start of many years of beating the poo and wee

Adelaide beat Melbourne.

Whether a team is bottom or top, if they play with intent they will be hard to beat.

Hawks had something to prove after last week, and we withstood that and won by 4 goals, the same margin we typically lose by against top teams.

Do the top teams get tainted with playing poor when they beat us by 4 goals? More like Carlton playing shit if you read the media and socials.

We are a middle of the table team, as I expected this year, 11 wins is possible, but I have never expected anything more.

Let’s start to appreciate that we are now beating teams we should beat, and consistently challenging top teams, with obvious areas we need to get better at.

Teague and his coaching panel need to lift, as do a number of players, but for me the effort/intent has been good since the early rounds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next