Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I stopped the recording half way through the third. Thought we’d blown it. Won’t lie about that. Been tortured for too long.

Will happily take the win especially against that mob. In the end, thought we ground it out which was pleasing.

But FMD we sure can butcher the ball and goal scoring opportunities. If we could execute basic skills and hit the ‘money kick’, game would of been over at HT. However in true Carlton fashion, we make such hard work of it.

Progress to win in the circumstances but still plenty to improve upon.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

kingkerna wrote:
Stocker a keeper for sure

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

:clap:
Someone comes out with the line of, does he want it enough and everybody follows :screwy:
He has been as hard and committed as anyone on the team from day dot.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

Thought he was good, thougt Setters also.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Lucky Clarkson didn’t put 15 defenders on Harry McKay, otherwise we’d have been in real trouble.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

Great win fellas..............we toughed it out.Cant wait for our next game.Can only improve.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

Getting some goals from our small forwards, which is nice. Eddie doing Eddie things and Owies certainly looks a likely type.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

I think they threw everything at us in the 2nd half, especially the last. Credit the boys absorbed it so well. We have seen countless times where they would just give up given the heat thrown at them and lose horribly. No mention of JSOS so far, I loved his game. He is a very smart footballer and provides a very important link up option and structure to the forward line. That 3rd qtr from Murphy was the best I've seen from him for a long long time, especially the clutch goal he kicked on 3qtr time. Best game from the Doc for awhile and Betts continued his good form of the last few games.

21 Years since we last beat this mob, can you believe that! Yes it wasnt pretty but gee its nice to finally beat them again!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:38 pm 
Banned

Good win - Hawthorn cracked in all game played the game to the peak of their ability.

Doc on the wing is dynamite - 4 qtr professionalism. Walsh faded after an unbelievable first qtr.
Have the fastest and skillfull half backline in the game... do not change it. Do not need to touch this area next 5-7 years.

We didnt turn the ball over as much as Hawthorn which was due to pressure more than anything,

Our efficiency going into inside 50 is sucking eggs. Our clearance work sucks harder.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:38 pm 
John Nicholls

.... on the MCG.

We did beat them a few years ago at Marvel.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

robertbb wrote:
.... on the MCG.

We did beat them a few years ago at Marvel.

Thanks for the correction. Regardless we have had an ordinary record against them

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

I think everyone felt the pressure going into this game and it showed.
Very happy the way we fought it out in the last. Take the four points, hopefully releases the pressure and we come out next week and put some of it together.
No doubt, Williams and Saad’s best games. Crippa and Doc building. I hope everyone understands why Murphy and Betts are still in our best 22.
We still need composure with the ball and use the runners when available instead of kicking blindly or to contests. We need to stop fighting and leaping for the same ball and play team footy. The butchers didn’t let me down, ‘some’ of our midfielders still refuse to run hard to cover defensive ground when it’s their turn and our F50 entries are just deplorable.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:18 pm 
John Nicholls

Just settling in to watch the replay.

Happened to be on the same flight as the Port Adelaide players/coaches from Adelaide to Melbourne today. When we took off we were 4 goals up. Landed and it was only a few points late in the third.

Saw Connor Rozee check the scores of our match the minute the plane landed and he turned to Alir Alir and said 'Carlton choking as usual'.

So there it is - from the horses mouth what we're thought of amongst the playing ranks.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

Happy, but moreso relieved. This isn't the same Hawthorn that has terrorised us for most of this century, but on the other hand it feels like a big bullet dodged. The consequences of losing today were horrifying to consider.

Glad we held up at the end with the pressure applied, but still too many lapses that allow better sides to destroy us.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Awful game. Awful. Yes it was nice to beat a bogey side... but fmd, this is a team that is battling it out for the spoon. Better than honourable loss but it's hard to get excited by this effort. Weitering was excellent. Doc pretty good. Walsh great but slowed a little. Stocker showing plenty but FFS just play him in the midfield. He belongs there. Saad good.

Then there's the other side of it. Just stop playing Cripps. Give him a month off. Williams too. Gibbons awful. Setterfield average. Cotteral tries hard but just not good enough. At least there's effort. Jones when he is bad reminds you why he was on the scrapheap a few years ago. Today he was bad. Plowman, it's all been said before. Not saying it again. Match committee must see something I sure as @#$%&! don't. But who else comes in for him?

@#$%&! Hawthorn. @#$%&! Clarkson. I really wanted to crush them. Hope this is the start of many years of beating the poo and wee

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FMD.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:36 pm 
Bob Chitty

Happy to take the 4 points and move on from that one
23 point margin, which is objectively comfortable, but didn’t feel like that at the ground. Felt more like 1-2 goal margin
Walsh outstanding in the middle
Doc looking great on the wing
Weiters and Saad good
Williams best game for the club - needs to stay at half back
Eddie and Owies took their opportunities
Good to see TDK back
Not much from Gibbons

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:38 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

robertbb wrote:

Happened to be on the same flight as the Port Adelaide players/coaches from Adelaide to Melbourne today. When we took off we were 4 goals up. Landed and it was only a few points late in the third.

Saw Connor Rozee check the scores of our match the minute the plane landed and he turned to Alir Alir and said 'Carlton choking as usual'.

So there it is - from the horses mouth what we're thought of amongst the playing ranks.
He was wrong though, so should probably stick to playing not commenting

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

As a boynamesue said our midfield is a huge worry
We had a slight ascendency in the ruck but got beaten in the clearances
Particularly stoppage clearances
Williams is a good HBF but we have enough of those

Hawthorn are arguably the worst team in the comp

You cannot I repeat again cannot rely on Walsh Cripps and Curnow doing the bulk of the work every week in the midfield and get away with it
Other than Mitchell both Worpel and O’Meara in the second half the Hawks were crap in there
Setterfields numbers were ok but he still doesn’t impress me too much
I don’t want Stocker playing in defence
He needs time in the midfield
He is fearless
We need another one in there
Let’s hope Kemp gets a decent 6 to 8 weeks of solid footy and see what he has good
He was recruited as a big bodied mid
I still want to see what Honey and Ramsay can bring to the table
I would still drop Murphy in a heartbeat but fat chance of that happening

I like Owies
He is tough a good kick reasonable awareness

Both teams efforts were famazing but the skill level was deplorable

Last edited by keogh on Sat May 22, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:42 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

robertbb wrote:

He was wrong though, so should probably stick to playing not commenting

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

Watching the team song it appears that there's a few there that either don't know the words or can't be bothered.
I suppose Josh Honey would rather be playing than singing. Can't blame him.

Happy to take the win. Norf embarrassed them last week so it was always going to be an arm wrestle. Swans and Eagles next. One or preferably both of those would be nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next