Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 am 
Rod Ashman

We’ve definitely gone backwards. Injuries to key players aren’t helping but there is just no direction on field. Teague looks like I feel when I watch.

On the upside, I’ve started recording games and only watch the good bits. Game last 15 minutes and I don’t waste my day

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:48 am 
Craig Bradley

The Normal One wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
I thought Cripps busted a gut today, 10 tackles and lots of hard grunt work, I think people just see what they want to see with him at the moment. He wasn’t at his absolute best but he was certainly good.

Murph wasn’t terrible either, though not really showing why we had him continue on. (I guess he’s a better user of the ball and a better tank than most of the VFL guys)

Thing is I can easily see us losing to Hawthorn.

I don’t think effort is the issue, it’s his inability to make decisions and get caught with the ball so often.

This. It looks like his mind is working in slow-mo. When you combine this with being slow physically, the outcome ain’t pretty. At times yesterday he looked completely out of his depth at AFL level. Hard to believe it’s the same Paddy Cripps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:07 am 
Wayne Johnston

The problem with Cripps is that he busts a gut and gets inside every contest but his lack of agility means the ball coming to the outside is never good, and once the ball get outside the pack Cripps is a liability and he exposes all the other midfielders as they have to try and cover for him. It’s a domino effect.

Throw in Murphy’s lack of outside pressure and our midfield becomes one of the worst in the league as a unit.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:11 am 
Wayne Johnston

keogh wrote:
WOW wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
I thought Cripps busted a gut today, 10 tackles and lots of hard grunt work, I think people just see what they want to see with him at the moment. He wasn’t at his absolute best but he was certainly good.

Murph wasn’t terrible either, though not really showing why we had him continue on. (I guess he’s a better user of the ball and a better tank than most of the VFL guys)

Agree. Wasn’t outstanding but Cripps played well.

Some of the comments about his performance are off the mark. Has become the whipping boy.

It’s a player like Setterfield who needs to be exposed. Only showed glimpses when the game was lost.

Cripps gives his all
Has credits in the bank

Giving your all isn’t enough, that should be just tablestakes. He’s obviously playing hurt and letting his teammates down by doing so.

His bank account is in the red.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Another thing for the "we got within 5 goals of the top team, it's not that bad" crowd to remember is that Melbourne weren't that great either.

Of the games I've seen them play this year (which is most) that was their weakest game by some distance. They did just enough to keep us at arm's length knowing full well we were no threat.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Just to add something different to all the comments.

McKay was injured although stayed on the ground. Levi is injured/out of form. This equals no tall forwards. The coaching staff obviously could not see that.

As a suggestion why not Cripps up forward and Setterfield as a big body inside mid.

The demons defence had a field day today.

Right on

Another time when Levi rucked to relieve Pitto, we had Harry (injured) and 5 midgets, Betts, Gibbons, Murphy, Fogarty and Owies as forwards and we still bombed it high knowing an AA KPD (May) and the best KPD intercept mark (Lever) were waiting to take the mark without pressure (from below their knees :wink: )

101 footy needed but either Coach or players or both lacked foort IQ to make it work for them. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

WOW wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:

Agree. Wasn’t outstanding but Cripps played well.

Some of the comments about his performance are off the mark. Has become the whipping boy.

It’s a player like Setterfield who needs to be exposed. Only showed glimpses when the game was lost.

Haven't read the comments but Cripps played a contested brand of footy and did well imo.

I just wish he'd stop thinking:

- he's got Pendlebury's shuffles and speed and tries to take on quicker opponents
- he's as capable of the Diesel Williams with the long handballs (that is not what Diesel was teaching him about the long handball).
- he's capable to kick goals from anywhere like Dusty.

As soon as he understands his limitations he will share the ball with players in better spots, instead of getting caught, turnover or passing to a player under more pressure than him.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

peabody wrote:
We had several seriously poor performances in the backline tonight, but there is one senior player who just stands out like Waldo to me.

Lachie Plowman had 87% TOG
9 touches, 2 contested, 150m gained
2 intercepts
2 uncontested marks
4 one percenters
Anddd
2 turnovers
2 free free kicks against
0 tackles
8 pressure acts
0 of any other stats basically

A total spectator

I've gone from a fan in his first few years, to the bloke keeping Marchbanks seat warm to get rid of him if there's an option...Kemp??? I hope he finds his feet.

Plow played 2 good games this year and 7 crap this year.

If he ends up in the Top 10 in the BnF this year, we will definitely be bottom 4 again, and like games, the votes are gifted too ie agendas.

He's a total spectator.
I watched him watch his opponent playing footy.
Made me spew. Not just me either.

I wonder what BV thought of his game?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
Another thing for the "we got within 5 goals of the top team, it's not that bad" crowd to remember is that Melbourne weren't that great either.

Of the games I've seen them play this year (which is most) that was their weakest game by some distance. They did just enough to keep us at arm's length knowing full well we were no threat.

I thought so too. They looked like they didn't really get out of second gear for us.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
peabody wrote:
We had several seriously poor performances in the backline tonight, but there is one senior player who just stands out like Waldo to me.

Lachie Plowman had 87% TOG
9 touches, 2 contested, 150m gained
2 intercepts
2 uncontested marks
4 one percenters
Anddd
2 turnovers
2 free free kicks against
0 tackles
8 pressure acts
0 of any other stats basically

A total spectator

I've gone from a fan in his first few years, to the bloke keeping Marchbanks seat warm to get rid of him if there's an option...Kemp??? I hope he finds his feet.

Plow played 2 good games this year and 7 crap this year.

If he ends up in the Top 10 in the BnF this year, we will definitely be bottom 4 again, and like games, the votes are gifted too ie agendas.

He's a total spectator.
I watched him watch his opponent playing footy.
Made me spew. Not just me either.

I wonder what BV thought of his game?

He has been crapola at AFL for 119 games

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

re Cripps, I think he is over-thinking it. In his early years he'd get ball and handball out of congestion, now he tries to work his way out and then handball or kick.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:
re Cripps, I think he is over-thinking it. In his early years he'd get ball and handball out of congestion, now he tries to work his way out and then handball or kick.

Correct
He is trying too hard
Show what sort of guy he is
I can’t the criticism he is copping everywhere including this site
He always gives it 100% unlike a few others

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Correct
He is trying too hard

Yes it's hard to be critical of Cripps however....... he is a shadow of his 2019 form. If he is injured then the Club and Cripps need to make the call and rest him. The opposition are having a field day by running off him. I would prefer the club grab Dow and Setterfield by the scruff of their jumper and tell them to stand up in his absence. We have to many introverted players around Cripps - you can see Dow at stoppages look at Cripps looking for direction.

It may only be the reserves but Dow and Setterfield do the finger pointing in the reserves and are more vocal, when in the seniors they look so bloody introverted.

If Cripps is not injured then it would be one of the greatest drops in form.

I'm sure he will recapture his 2019 form but somethings not right at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Correct
He is trying too hard

His effort isn't in doubt.
Many posters say he's over extending himself in areas he's not good at.
He needs to stick to the basics that gave him his reputation as the contested bull.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:16 am 
John James

Coaches Votes

10 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
8 Tom McDonald (MELB)
6 Jake Lever (MELB)
4 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
1 Christian Salem (MELB)
1 Sam Docherty (CARL)

Walsh moves up to 6th overall.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:08 am 
Wayne Johnston

I remember when Cripps was consistently rated better than Oliver or Bont.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:52 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Centre bounce attendances

Player CBA
Marc Pittonet 23
Patrick Cripps 21
Sam Walsh 20
Ed Curnow 19
Liam Stocker 10
Will Setterfield 6
Levi Casboult 3
Lachie Fogarty 2

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

The post match discussion threads are getting shorter
Any reason
They should be increasing shouldn’t they

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

[quote="keogh"]The post match discussion threads are getting shorter
Any reason
They should be increasing shouldn’t they[/quote]

I cannot speak for others , but I for one would prefer to avoid
this thread after a loss because I don't have the stomach to keep reading the same shit you keep posting week after week after week.
I would rather mourn the loss of another season in peace without any further angst.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
The post match discussion threads are getting shorter
Any reason
They should be increasing shouldn’t they

The Melbourne game went about as expected, nothing really out of the ordinary happened.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next