Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:56 pm 
Bert Deacon

For me its not the fact that we actually lose games, its because we lose the same way every single time

We do not know how to slow down, or attempt to limit the damage when a team makes a run, every single time
then theres stupid things that continue to happen
eg:
Weitering one out with Franklin, Jones comes in third man up, takes out Weitering and himself and Franklin is left standing, goal to Sydney

Same old stupid mistakes which honestly local footballers make

The clubs standards are too low. Eg. Murphy gets dropped, instead of making him earn his spot back, he plays the same week ( as a sub )
Same with Levi

We will always be an average club until we demand better. at the moment players dont care because they know theyll play regardless

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

hollywood43 wrote:
For me its not the fact that we actually lose games, its because we lose the same way every single time

We do not know how to slow down, or attempt to limit the damage when a team makes a run, every single time
then theres stupid things that continue to happen
eg:
Weitering one out with Franklin, Jones comes in third man up, takes out Weitering and himself and Franklin is left standing, goal to Sydney

Same old stupid mistakes which honestly local footballers make

The clubs standards are too low. Eg. Murphy gets dropped, instead of making him earn his spot back, he plays the same week ( as a sub )
Same with Levi

We will always be an average club until we demand better. at the moment players dont care because they know theyll play regardless

Dumb mistakes week in week out...........first it was our starts.then it was the run ons.now its red time goals...........etcetcetc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
Nick wrote:
cortez wrote:
What bugs me is in recent years our recruiting "coups" have been (at great expense) two half back flankers, a small forward, and an injury prone player who would at best be a second string marking forward. This when what we desperately need (as was starkly obvious again yesterday) is more big bodied mids.

I used to hold hopes that one day we would just "click" like Richmond, or this year Melbourne. I believed we weren't far away. Last year I was saying "next year we make the finals". Now, even allowing for injuries I just can't see significant improvement with our current list. The work ethic of some, the folding under pressure, the awful skill levels, it just goes on and on year after year.

I'm not getting any younger and before I go I want to be able to take my grandsons to see a rampant, premiership winning Blues like I knew in the past.

Well to be fair we haven't probably chased a midfielder because we have so much of our draft capital tied up on midfielders.

2015 - Cuningham, Kennedy
2016 - SPS, Setterfield, Fisher
2017 - Dow, LOB
2018 - Walsh, Stocker
2019 - Ramsay, Philp

That's 11 there and not a single one of them other than Walsh has come on as hoped. Though the last 3 do have time on their side. By chasing big name midfielders would have been at the expense of their development.

Our development has been deplorable anyhow, that's what's really hurting us. And the midfielders we did chase spurned us (some rather fortunately in hindsight) e.g. Rockliff, Shiel, Coniglio

Good summary, as depressing reading as it is. Midfield depth is the biggest failing of the rebuild, & it really shows when other sides go 6 or 7 deep with players who are a B or B+ minumum. We need a whole bunch of our mid tier types to come good at once for us to be close to competing.

The other issue is tall defenders. I would hate to jinx them but seriously if Jones or Weiters got injured, who have we got coming through in the seconds to replace them?

In 6 of our 7 losses so far this year an opposition mid has been BOG as voted by the coaches .....

v Tigers - Dusty Martin
v Pies - Taylor Adams
v Port - Ollie Wines
v Lions - Hugh McCluggage
v Dogs - The Bont
v Dees - Clayton Oliver
v Swans - Isaac Heeney (noted as a forward but can play mid)

Don't know where I'm going with this only to say that those guys dominated us and yes they do bat deeper.
As a side note: In our wins Walshy got nominated twice (v Ess and v Hawks) then non-mids in Harry v Freo and Doc v Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Despite the gloom some people to see, and I see it too, there is a silver lining.

We are not that far off.

We know the top 8 teams are 3-4 goals better than the way we are currently playing.
1 goal per quarter, or, stop the red time goals and going to sleep for a quarter.

Just need a better defensive set up from our midfielders. The back 6 are fine and Docherty looked great on a wing.

Just make sure we sign up Harry, and get Charlie on the ground to give everyone a taste of things to come.
Two mobile marking targets will be difficult to contain. Harry alone is hard enough.

Jack Silvagni is playing with an injury, but he is good as the 3rd target, and if he doesn't get his kicking sorted then Gov can take his spot.Given its the last year of his contract, the penny has to drop for Gov.

Get the Midfield group to understand rotations and hitting the midfield group with 100% effort 100% of the time they are playing midfield. Tire and swap with someone.

Honey, Philp, Kemp will be stars compared to Gibbons, Cottrell and Murphy....that's just starters on our list.

Levi and Betts to retire and make way for Owies

I still have high hopes for Dow to succeed as a mid...one more preseason...if not, then he's a bust ditto SPS and LOB. People forget Fish to come.

But its about rotations amongst the midfield group to keep them fresh and going 100%. That's the key.

I'm sure DeKoning will be No 1 ruck all year next year, and I'm sure we will recruit one or two good footballers...Cerra????

We will not remain stagnant, and there will be a new coaching group next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
Despite the gloom some people to see, and I see it too, there is a silver lining.

Weirdly enough, I actually think we'll beat west coast.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

Thanks for your optimism bondiblue :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy One wrote:
CK95 wrote:

In 6 of our 7 losses so far this year an opposition mid has been BOG as voted by the coaches .....

v Tigers - Dusty Martin
v Pies - Taylor Adams
v Port - Ollie Wines
v Lions - Hugh McCluggage
v Dogs - The Bont
v Dees - Clayton Oliver
v Swans - Isaac Heeney (noted as a forward but can play mid)

Don't know where I'm going with this only to say that those guys dominated us and yes they do bat deeper.
As a side note: In our wins Walshy got nominated twice (v Ess and v Hawks) then non-mids in Harry v Freo and Doc v Gold Coast

Says a lot Navy One.

Their mid dominated ours.

There's got to be more to it than one mid.

Libba fed Bont whilst Cripps and Co were too buggered to do anything about it.

Heeney didn't have an opponent and when he did, he towered over them (Saad, Doch, Williams) or was too nimble (for Levi).

I'm sure all these things are fixable. Selflessness needs to become the first thought.
If you're a mid and you're tiring, hand the reigns to someone fresh to keep contesting 100%

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

WE should have beaten Swans.
Coaches allowed Swans to do what they liked imo, let alone lost in with the selections.

WE have to beat The eagles with Kelly and Oscar out....along with all their other injuries...probably same if not worse than ours.
Like Martin, they have Yeo coming back from being out injured long term.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Its not just me.

Even the pricks in the media, who have given Carlton a serve this year are optimistic about our list and our chances next year (if not convinced with the coaching) eg. Healy and King. King said yesterday he thinks carlton is a top 6 team IF.... Healy thinks we have a list for Finals, just need to tweak the defensive side. Leppa today said of all the teams outside the 8, carlton's is the easiest fix, just needs a defensive tweak.

Just hurry up and sign Harry, and whilst they're at it ... try and sign up his brother Ben to replace Jones.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Its not just me.

Even the pricks in the media, who have given Carlton a serve this year are optimistic about our list and our chances next year (if not convinced with the coaching) eg. Healy and King. King said yesterday he thinks carlton is a top 6 team IF.... Healy thinks we have a list for Finals, just need to tweak the defensive side. Leppa today said of all the teams outside the 8, carlton's is the easiest fix, just needs a defensive tweak.

Just hurry up and sign Harry, and whilst they're at it ... try and sign up his brother Ben to replace Jones.

I have no doubt in the talent on our list. I have significant doubts on whether enough of them have the drive to better themselves and be more than players on an AFL list. A couple of blokes with some cauliflower about them wouldn't go astray either. I know the back-story, but for mine flicking Mitch Robinson for nothing was way worse than letting Eddie go.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Heavs wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Its not just me.

I have no doubt in the talent on our list. I have significant doubts on whether enough of them have the drive to better themselves and be more than players on an AFL list. A couple of blokes with some cauliflower about them wouldn't go astray either. I know the back-story, but for mine flicking Mitch Robinson for nothing was way worse than letting Eddie go.

or just as bad

Malthouse :mad:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:59 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Has anyone heard that completely rotten interview with Brad Lloyd on SEN today?

Boy oh boy, is this bloke fair dinkum serious or what!?

The bloke can not talk his way out of a paper bag!!! He is a terrible speaker and representative of our club!

He seemed so embarrassed with the way the club is performing. And so he should be!

Who’s decision was it for him to speak to Tim and Gary? That was so painful to listen to. This club has no idea if it thinks this bloke can be our Footy manager!

I DO NOT want to hear him give another interview for this club EVER AGAIN!

He is piss weak!

He has to go!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

We say the same every match, every year.

Will be true, one match, one year.

This match, this year?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

I only say it when we play west coast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Its not just me.

I am not so sure about our list.

Although we have some star players, our bottom 6 - 8 players continually let us down. Too many non contributors

I still believe we are 4 - 6 players short and will need to find them quickly to make the most of our rebuild

And a good system wouldn’t go astray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

WOW wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Its not just me.

I am not so sure about our list.

Although we have some star players, our bottom 6 - 8 players continually let us down. Too many non contributors

I still believe we are 4 - 6 players short and will need to find them quickly to make the most of our rebuild

And a good system wouldn’t go astray

I reckon your last line negates your second line. Ordinary players look good in a good system. Good players can be made to look really ordinary in an ordinary or non-existent system. It's why I was stoked we never got Ellis.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

I keep thinking I'm going to click on this thread and this 20 year nightmare will be over :smoking:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

:grin:

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:20 pm 
John Nicholls

BlueJean wrote:

The bloke can not talk his way out of a paper bag!!! He is a terrible speaker and representative of our club!

He seemed so embarrassed with the way the club is performing. And so he should be!

Who’s decision was it for him to speak to Tim and Gary? That was so painful to listen to. This club has no idea if it thinks this bloke can be our Footy manager!

He is piss weak!

He has to go!

Link? Very curious to listen...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:41 pm 
Bob Chitty

robertbb wrote:
BlueJean wrote:

He is piss weak!

He has to go!

Link? Very curious to listen...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/31/ ... ns-season/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next