Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluechampion wrote:
Jones has actually conceded goals in both of his last two games against Bruce and Hooker. He's also played some decent footy in both those games. It's been a few weeks since his balance of attack and defence has worked.

And yes, we played Docherty on a wing at stages on Sunday with the intention of his folding back to be a spare man. A lot of the time it worked (he got 31 touches)... but when it doesn't work it can hurt us. We do play a zone defence that relies on the midfield either winning the ball or forcing a quick kick to a waiting defender. When we lose the contest, defenders can get caught out between opposition players, unsure whether to stick to their man or move to the next player. This is why we coughed up so many goals early against Essendon** - both Jones and Weitering were occupying space rather than standing next to their man for long periods.

So, as always.... it comes down to the midfield.

...and a coach who plays Russian Roulette and just rolls the dice.

Need bonafide defence whilst you don't have a dominant midfield group.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:39 pm 
Wayne Johnston

keogh wrote:
Kennedy has failed as an inside mid
Where he has done best is as a third tall up forward

Setterfield came to Carlton with bigwraps
What was he pick 5 in theAFL draft.
Does his ACL so there are excuses
We gave up a pick in the low 20s( future second rounder) and Nathan Kreuger
Thank god Kreuger hasn’t delivered ( due to injury) otherwise another catastrophic trade

Here is my take on Setterfield
His only real position as a mid is inside. He is a plodder whose kicking lacks penetration
He has good vision in close but simply doesn’t get it enough
An inside mid who consistently gets it under 20 times is not good enough
He lacks strength in close

The big thing for me with Setterfield and Kennedy is they have been around a while
Cripps Curnow and Walsh can’t play well every week
These 2 don’t pick it up when they have to lift to pick up the slack
That’s why Kennedy was delisted and rookied and that’s why they are both in the magoos
They should be blitzing it in the VFL given their reputations

To me they are good VFL players who might play the occasional reasonable game at AFL level

Once again I say
Thanks SOS

Can’t argue with a lot you say about Setters, but his kicking in the vfl the last few weeks that I’ve seen has been long, penetration kicks from the centre where he’s linked up plays during transition.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-news-2021-liam-jones-carlton-defensive-issues-video-garry-lyon-gerard-healy-on-the-couch/news-story/42d6224216ad186dfbaf8dbade898124

Quote:
Melbourne champion Lyon was particularly scathing of Jones’ effort.

“I think Liam Jones, one-on-one, does a wonderful job. But how long do you keep going to the well with someone that is in a situation where it‘s game-defining and … that is a staggering piece of a vision for a man who’s supposed to be the cornerstone of your defence,” Lyon told On The Couch. “He doesn’t turn his head. All he had to do was turn his head.
“I don’t want to make Liam Jones the scapegoat, but it can be fixed by doing what an Under 12 kid is taught to do. When the ball’s in dispute and it‘s a game on the line and he’s the full-back, you don’t wander aimlessly out to centre half-back with no awareness of what’s behind you.
“Carlton supporters are sitting at home going: ‘Why? Why? Why? How’s it happened?’ Well because you’ve got dumb instances like that. That’s why it happens.”

The word he uses is DUMB to describe Jones' decision to ignore the backline.

Someone on twitter responded to this with:

"For context (which doesn’t seem to matter at Fox) Carlton are 16 points down at the 26 min mark of the last quarter.

I daresay Jones is waiting for the potential switch kick if they win back possession to attack up the middle of the ground.

Carlton need 3 goals in 4 mins."

Might have been someone who posts here very occasionally

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Deepest midfield in the AFL v the shallowest. Surprised the margin was only 16 points actually

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
verbs wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-news-2021-liam-jones-carlton-defensive-issues-video-garry-lyon-gerard-healy-on-the-couch/news-story/42d6224216ad186dfbaf8dbade898124

Quote:
Melbourne champion Lyon was particularly scathing of Jones’ effort.

“I think Liam Jones, one-on-one, does a wonderful job. But how long do you keep going to the well with someone that is in a situation where it‘s game-defining and … that is a staggering piece of a vision for a man who’s supposed to be the cornerstone of your defence,” Lyon told On The Couch. “He doesn’t turn his head. All he had to do was turn his head.
“I don’t want to make Liam Jones the scapegoat, but it can be fixed by doing what an Under 12 kid is taught to do. When the ball’s in dispute and it‘s a game on the line and he’s the full-back, you don’t wander aimlessly out to centre half-back with no awareness of what’s behind you.
“Carlton supporters are sitting at home going: ‘Why? Why? Why? How’s it happened?’ Well because you’ve got dumb instances like that. That’s why it happens.”

The word he uses is DUMB to describe Jones' decision to ignore the backline.

Someone on twitter responded to this with:

"For context (which doesn’t seem to matter at Fox) Carlton are 16 points down at the 26 min mark of the last quarter.

I daresay Jones is waiting for the potential switch kick if they win back possession to attack up the middle of the ground.

Carlton need 3 goals in 4 mins."

Might have been someone who posts here very occasionally

:wink:

oh yeah... that prick :sly:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Deepest midfield in the AFL v the shallowest. Surprised the margin was only 16 points actually

or, we are not that far off the pace, but need to strengthen our resolve and be switched on for more than 80 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

When we get in front we're like a nerd at a nightclub when a hot girl comes up & talks to him. We just can't believe it's happening to us & don't know what the hell to do...

Not that I know that bloke or anything :oops:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
When we get in front we're like a nerd at a nightclub when a hot girl comes up & talks to him. We just can't believe it's happening to us & don't know what the hell to do...

There must be a lot of this.

We havent learned to win, perhaps havent accepted we can win.

Need a good sport psych daily and on game day between breaks.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:

Probably the best metaphor I've heard for this team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhbhNLgwyE4

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

on sunday I watched the best and worst of Carlton

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:52 pm 
Harry Vallence

i wont shy away from our bad choke, but given the results of the doggies - aints game today, perhaps we did better than we all thought

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:58 am 
John James

bender wrote:
i wont shy away from our bad choke, but given the results of the doggies - aints game today, perhaps we did better than we all thought

yes, we're definitely a better team than we were last year and the year before. Irrespective of who's in form, who isn't; who's out injured, who's playing injured, and who's match fit. Showed enough against Hawks in 3rd qtr to absorb the pressure even when mids getting pants and protect the lead to keep me emotionally invested. would have been gut wrenching to lose to young Hawks. last year we probably would have crumbled in 3rd and 4th.

Imagine the negativity round here if two weeks ago we had have had St Kilda's score differential:
WESTERN BULLDOGS 3.5 10.10 15.13 21.18 (144)
ST KILDA 2.0 3.1 4.2 5.3 (33)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 am 
Craig Bradley

Not sure it's a good idea to measure ourselves against St Kilda atm...

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:44 am 
Ken Hunter

Hornet wrote:

We’ve been doing it since 2000. They have been our benchmark team in rebuilds. :banghead: :garthp:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:27 am 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
Hornet wrote:

We’ve been doing it since 2000. They have been our benchmark team in rebuilds. :banghead: :garthp:

They did make two grand finals in the 2000’s. Probably could have pinched both games.

We have been worse this century.

Still doesn’t take away the fact they have been a tragic club for over 120 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8