Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Growing up when Carlton was the Powerhouse I always feared coming up against the Dogs and Dees - For some reason they would find a way of knocking us off

I hope we can reserve that this weekend

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

Pretty tough week for the MC I reckon with Williams, Murphy likely to put their hands up and SPS and Dow playing well enough (when they were on) to hold their spots.

I think that SPS, Dow, Williams all should play (and start) if fit.
Dow started off well and SPS played as well as he has for some time, and was strong in the contest and more accountable.
Owies also holds his spot after 3 goals and an emphatic goal square tackle.

I'd be inclined to bring in Williams at the expense of Gibbons who got a bit of the ball but did not really make a significant impact.
Not sure about who goes out for SPS to take a starting role. (My cynical self says to drop Eddie - how often does he string a few really good games together??).

With McGovern out, two options appear to be SOJ or TDK. I'd almost be tempted to bring both in and either drop Casboult (under the theory that TDK playing Casboult's role would be likely to contribute more) or keep Casboult in but have SOJ as the medical sub.

Suddenly, within a few weeks, we'll have gone from complaining that the cupboard is bare to having real selection dilemmas!
With Owies taking his chance, Dow showing something, SPS also showing some signs, Martin, Fisher hopefully not too far away, Newman and TDK getting close, and Honey showing a bit too. Good competition for spots.

Of course, this was not looking the case half way through the 2nd quarter and we will be much more rigorously tested in the next 2 weeks.

Out: McGovern, Gibbons,
In: Williams, SOJ (or TDK if SOJ not ready)
And then kick the medical-sub can down the road until Sunday...

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

Lace Out wrote:
His own or Libbas?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

NTTAWWT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

I’d be going

TDK for Casboult or Pittonet, take your pick, they’ve both been rubbish all year
Silvagni for McGovern
SPS for Cottrell
Williams for Gibbons or Newnes

If Dow is out then Gibbons and Newnes stay in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:57 pm 
John Nicholls

Lace Out wrote:
His own or Libbas?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Licking Libbas Lips is the new Nibble Nobbys Nuts.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Murphy to miss a few more weeks.

That neck injury looked really, really, bad.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluedog wrote:
Will the MC be happy that Gibbons had an ordinary game, providing an avenue for Murphy to return?

Because I don’t think they could play the neck soreness card again.

especially when the pain is centred somewhere in the chest

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
We are right in this.Dogs don't like being crowded.Just get physical and nasty.

That's waht it looks like.

They need to win the contested ball then the short handball starts, so they are all in close to contest, till they work it to the oustside where there's a runner.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

PercyJones wrote:
I would think closely about moving Levi back to the backline next week to play on English. It might actually help him rediscover some form.

Great idea....IF he can keep up with english.

Levi doesnt look too mobile to me.

He is totally out of form and nowhere near the fitness required at AFL level. Source: Eye Test.

I was hoping Gov would be 2nd ruck to give Levi a spell in the VFL.

Levi and Cripps were carried yesterday imo.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
Get stuck into Bailey Smith

Fake tough guy.

Great idea

Agree

wanna be toughie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
Murphy to miss a few more weeks.

That neck injury looked really, really, bad.

I heard the crack up here in Sydney...really really bad.

Bad enough for sub????

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Williams and J.Silvagni come in
Gibbons and McGovern out

Have to get SPS in the team, and Dow, if right, looks worth keeping in the seniors but not as sub

Cripps played his worst game for Carlton v Effendrug*
Levi was a liability and still not taking enough contested marks.
Gibbons is doing some dumb things every week. Not physically imposing.
Pittonet has lost any form he showed last year.
Plowman too loose since round 1
Newnes also not showing any form since round 1

The above imo were our weakest links.

DeKoning in Levi out (couldn't do worse than Levi and he gets to run around at the next level.

If English comes back and and will I'd rather DeKoning follow him around everywhere like the Dogs did with English's development.
Levi can't do it. Drop Levi, and the team is better for it.

Have to keep Pittonet as first ruck, till DeKoning takes that spot...then midyear draft a Ruck Fwd (dont grow on trees)...

Owies Parks Stocker to keep continuing their progress. I'm loving what Stocker is doing. Great for his development and his confidence.
Owies keeps Murph out.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

JSOS for McG is a near cert.

Despite playing very well in his first 2021 hit out, it is very hard to see them bringing TDK in just yet. He didn't play full minutes in the VFL. Casboult looks like he is on his last legs but at the smaller Marvel and against a Dogs defence that isn't renowned for stopping tall forwards, Casboult might actually snag a couple. It'd be a big call to being TDK in.

Williams one would think will be fit. I would not be surprised if they tell Dow to rest that eye. An excuse to bring Williams in.

As a rule you don't make many changes to a winning side. In saying that, I think we can all see now there are a few too many B/C Graders in the current team. The likes of Newnes, Cottrell, Gibbons, and sorry but I am putting Owies in there despite kicking 3.
Sammo was good coming on as the activated Sub, I would have thought he has to be rewarded. And he torched the Dogs a couple years back.

I think at the end of the day it will come down to watching the tape and seeing which of these B/C graders perhaps didn't work hard enough defensively. I thought Gibbons was very ordinary. And Newnes is just so so every week. But these guys have been Teague favourites for a fair while now. I think it is just a matter of time though before the club phase these types out. Gibbons is just too small and gets pushed aside too easily. He is handy when we have the run of it, but in the clinches his size is a liability. There is a reason some players play 50 or 100 games but not 150 or 200.

It is indeed going to be hard at the selection table. You would think Sammo, Williams and maybe Murphy come back in. But who joins the possible Dow as an out?

Does Williams replace Stocker? The kid has been alright, but nearly cost us the game yesterday. In the last quarter he was pushed aside too easily on two occasions, and Teague responded by putting Plow on Tippinwoodie (sp). But then Stocker might be handy against a running Bulldogs outfit. Hard to drop the kid after 2 games. But then this is a huge game against one of the best teams in the league. You usually side with experience in these crunch games.

Setterfield was BOG in the VFL but the cub said last week they want VFL players to build up consistent form. So another week or two for him I reckon.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
azzablue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
azzablue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Pleasing returns from TDK & Newman in the reserves from long term injuries today, but they need at least a couple of more reserves games IMO. I wouldn’t be considering them this week.

Disappointing about McGovern (hamstring) - I thought he played pretty well. Let’s hope he doesn’t miss more than 2-3 weeks. SOJ seems like his obvious replacement. If SOJ is unavailable too, it probably becomes a choice between Kennedy, Setterfield or Honey.

If Dow is OK, do both he & SPS hold their places? If so, I guess Gibbons becomes the medical sub.

And if both Dow & Williams are fit, it will be interesting... I’m sure I’ll get shouted down for suggesting it, but in that event I would put SPS in the starting 22, Gibbons as medical sub, drop Stocker and play Williams as a defender/midfielder.

In - SOJ, SPS, Williams
Out - McGovern (inj), Gibbons (sub), Stocker.

If Dow isn’t right, then Stocker holds his place and Williams plays as a midfielder.

Great idea , stocker starting to find his feet , his handballs , tackling and toughness was excellent and now you want to drop him !!

Casboult , pittonent and gibbons were the liabilities yesterday

We literally have nobody who can replace Casboult & Pittonet until TDK is match fit and I have said we ought to demote Gibbons to medical sub. I’m in no hurry to drop Stocker but someone will need to come out if Dow, SPS, SOJ & Williams are all to play. Driving high standards with our young guys is not a bad thing.

If we are talking about high standards then plowman and Docherty need to be dropped !!

And Murphy not to return ...

If you think Stocker offers more (at this point of his career) than Doc & Plowman.....well, I give up.

Thank you for giving up !!

Watch the first qtr and see how plowman is going ...

Doc have a look at his skills for this season

Newman is coming for both of them

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Basically I have no flowering idea.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Basically the poster above me has no flowering idea.

I fixed this for you.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:19 pm 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:
Growing up when Carlton was the Powerhouse I always feared coming up against the Dogs and Dees - For some reason they would find a way of knocking us off

I hope we can reserve that this weekend

Oh... if only Moshe was here

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

I’d go TDK for Pittonet,
SOJ for Guv
Williams for Gibbo
Samo for Dow (assuming he misses) if not Newnes

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Hopefully Newman comes back this week or next.
Slotting him back into the back half could release Stocker further up the ground.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
Hopefully Newman comes back this week or next.
Slotting him back into the back half could release Stocker further up the ground.

Yep, I look forward to seeing Stocker more in the middle of the action, I think he would strive on the hard ball get in the midfield rather than a one on one contest deep in defence plus Newman is a good release of the footy from the backline.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next