Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:03 am 
Geoff Southby

99prelim wrote:
azzablue wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
JSOS for McGovern
Williams for Cottrell or Newnes.
Murph another week off or as the sub and SPS a run in the two's.

SPS a run in the reserves ?? Did you see his field kicking forward of the centre ?? Last week ??

have said this for a year or so...SPS is your classic old style 'centreman' or in soccer terms, "central midfield architect"

Receives the ball from the defenders/mids and then delivers to the forwards with pin point accuracy

Reckon that is a very astute observation 99p.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

azzablue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
If Effendruggies* can select to play his first game...

202cm 19yo ruckman Nick Bryan after playing 3 games of VFL vs 24yo Pittonet and 31yo Casboult, then why not

203cm 21yo ruckman Tom DeKoning after playing 1 VFL game and 3 preseasons vs 23yo English (207cm), and 34yo Stefan Martin?

Levi is having fluid drained from his knee every day. He is lame. What's the point of him hobbling in the forwardline providing no pressure for 90% game time.

It's Time for The King

We need to be conservative with tdk , give him a another week or 2

If we play to our best , we can win this without tdk , pressure is the key

We have been ultra conservative with TDK imo.
His back hot spot pain was gone the next day after pain reported.
That was 7 weeks ago. He's been running for 5 weeks.

I didn't realise he was managed in last week's game, building up his match fitness.
Yep. I can wait another week or two.

BUT, he must play against Hawks in 2 weeks time, which is the start of our run to the finals with injured players trickle into the team.
If we can get a win vs Dogs/ Melb and be 4-4 or 4-5 in 2 weeks, our season is still on track.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:56 am 
Stephen Kernahan

ianh wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Yes. I’d stick Curnow on McRae. Back Cripps and Walsh compete with Bont and Libba. Tell Cunningham to be accountable for Smith. Let Dow and SPS off the leash (but by god they had better not let anyone run off or get past them the other way).
Forwards must spread - I’d bring in JSOS and TdK for McG and Casboult. If they double team Harry, others must be free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much agree, but think Ed to Libba, he is the starting point to most of their drive. Bigger body on to McRae - who that is depends on selection. Normally I would say give TDK another week in the 2s but with Cas so constrained physically I think even an underdone TDK can match his output and be less of a liability going the other way.

The more I think about it, initially I'd actually send Dow to Libba.
What impressed me last week was Dows willingness to body up on his opponent at the centre bounces and to win the ball. A couple of times on Parish, also on Stringer. The thing with Libba is he will take Dow to the footy. It could be a great learning opportunity. But also, it's a positive offensive move as well.
Consider Dow had 2 centre clearances in his 15 minutes of footy last week. Cripps had 2 for the game. Dow had 2 stoppage clearances in 15 minutes. Cripps had 1 for the game. Walsh was our best with 3 centre clearances and 5 stoppage clearances for the game. In his time on the ground, Dow was probably our most effective centre stoppage player.
I think we have to concede that in all likelihood, he will never be overly effective by foot but if he can become an inside ball winner that can get the ball going our way, it's something we can capitalise on.
He may not be that effective every week but we have to foster the growth in these players.

We also cant rely on Cripps to be our great centre square hope. With him getting 2 centre clearances for the game, it contributed to us losing the centre square clearances last week quite badly. Most week we'll be punished for that. Let's be honest, it's our accuracy that helped get us over the line last week. We know that we cant rely on that to occur consistently. IMHO, we have reasonable midfield depth but it must be utilised and coached correctly.
The challenge is to have other useful roles for Cripps when he's not dominating in the midfield and managing him correctly. If he's unfit at the moment, rest him. Yes he's a great player when on song but 2 centre clearances from a player who has minimal impact elsewhere? It serves no ones purpose. He had it 25 times but do we really want Cripps getting more uncontested possessions than contested?
Let's mix it up and see what growth we get from the players we have on our list.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:15 am 
Geoff Southby

Yep, if Cripps is injured we should be resting him and throwing down the challenge to the likes of Setterfield, Kennedy & Dow to step up.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:20 am 
Geoff Southby

I have a bad feeling that the Dogs are going to kick a cricket score.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:26 am 
Craig Bradley

Great post BV agree re Dow think playing him on Libba is a good one
Also disappointed Dow got injured last week thought he was on
In his first year he was good at clearances even with a stick body

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:42 am 
Ken Hunter

I know you can't and shouldn't tag them all, but I'd almost consider Cottrell running with Macrea early on. He has the tank to shadow him all day. Macrea is their link man all around the ground. He opens them up and gets their running game going with great vision. If he gets his normal 40 we are done.

No doubt Teague is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Their best will beat our best if it is an offensive shootout. If we lock down too hard I'm not convinced we have the rebound, attacking game to beat them.

I have no idea what a win would look like against this oppo or how we will create it. Attack or Defend? Mmmmmmmmmm!

#1 Capt Obvious is we absolutely, positively have to get our hands on the footy first at stoppages. 2nd to the footy and we are cooked.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:50 am 
Bruce Doull

If we can somehow find a way to screw up their handball game we are a chance.

I think they'll get us pretty comfortably though

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

We also cant rely on Cripps to be our great centre square hope....

...With him getting 2 centre clearances for the game, it contributed to us losing the centre square clearances last week quite badly...

...The challenge is to have other useful roles for Cripps when he's not dominating in the midfield and managing him correctly....

...He had it 25 times but do we really want Cripps getting more uncontested possessions than contested?

Answer is NO. He is our inside contested mid. That's his trade

Was Cripps' uncontested game by design, by him, or by the coach? That's the big question.

If it was him, then time to refocus and leave the outside stuff, and give it off to the harder runners.

We can win this.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
I know you can't and shouldn't tag them all, but I'd almost consider Cottrell running with Macrea early on. He has the tank to shadow him all day. Macrea is their link man all around the ground. He opens them up and gets their running game going with great vision. If he gets his normal 40 we are done.

Regards Cazzesman

Macrae is a hard runner, and stands at 191cm and around 85 kgs.
Cottrell is a hard runner and stands at 181cm and less than 75 kgs.

Cottrell would have to stick close, like really close to avoid getting bashed up on approach, and to not let him find space because his team mates will give it to him. We don't know if Cottrell plays without the teams being announced on Thursday :mad:

Macrae ...
Libba ...
Bonte ... he will mix it up with Treloar

Smith ... wing
Hunter ...wing

I'd let:
Williams go head to head with Libba. Libba wont chance and both are like dogs to a bone when they see ball.
Ed to tag Macrae, everywhere
Cripps to go head to head with Bonte and Parks takes Bonte when he goes fwd
Dow to take on Treloar when playing mid...IF Dow gets selected. I hope he does.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:37 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aboynamedsue wrote:

Same here.
I think they will fired up and keen to atone for their sub par display against Richmond.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Humpers wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Same here.
I think they will fired up and keen to atone for their sub par display against Richmond.

Not me. If we go down, we'll still be competitive IMO.

They key is to expose their weaknesses. They will get plenty of ball around the ground. They'll be strong at the stoppages. In fact, they haven't lost the stoppages in any game this year. They've also won the inside 50 count in every game but 1. Their loss to Richmond.
No one else has had more than 50 inside 50's against them because they work hard to protect there backline. Beveridge knows it is their weakness and if you get the ball in their quick enough, their tall defenders are not up to it.

IMHO, we should slow them down as much as possible when they have the ball. Push numbers up the ground and apply maximum pressure to them when they're flicking it around. When we get the ball, get it inside 50 as soon as possible and give our forwards a one on one opportunity. Then compress the ground and pin it inside 50 until we score.
Saad will be crucial with his run and kicking depth. I'd also include Williams in the back half rotation like we did against Brisbane to use his run as well.

If Levi plays, he will have a crucial role IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Owies Cottrell and Parks have added a physical presence, and with that tackling pressure, and should be persisted with.

Cottrell squibbed it badly in the middle of the ground against Ess.
Cost us a goal.
Squibbed something shocking.
Worst part all he needed to do was make a contest and we were out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

11 minutes left in the first.

No way did he squib it.
It looked like he tapped the ball forward for him to get around Tippett, and did.
Tippett took a swing at him with a fist, and missed.
Cottrell gets around him and lays a tackle on Laverde.
Fogarty picks up the loose ball and handballs it into the path of Parish....results in goal

If you're saying Cottrell cost the game, that's plain wrong.
Shits me to think you said it was shocking, and laid the blame on Cottrell for a goal after 3 or 4 contests.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Humpers wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Same here.

Sub par?

They got worked out, exposed and brushed aside, last week.
We may get at them at the right time, again.

I think Tigers laid the blueprint on how to beat Doggies.

We beat them the same way in 2019, with Curnow kicking 7.
Then we beat them again last year in 2020 by 52 with our mids dominating the contested ball,

Setterfield Kennedy and Martin were hot in the contest, whilst Crippa played a backseat role with a hurt shoulder.
Betts 4, Harry 3, Gov 2, Martin 2, Gibbons 2
...and Doggies had 5 top possession winners on the day ... on the outside.

Missing tomorrow from last years win will be Simmo, Martin, Gov and williamson replaced by Parks.
Might be missing due to selection Setterfield, Kennedy and Murphy.

The more I think of it, the more I want Setterfield as the inside mid instead of Cripps.

We have the contested game that could bring them undone imo.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

jezzarules wrote:

That’s odd, I thought SPS and Dow were good. Certainly better than Newnes and Gibbons

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Dow dropped :?

WTF are these flower doing?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:

Still injured ?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Still injured ?

AFL site says Dow and SPS were omitted.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

SPS sub again...
Dont quite get it - SPS and dow appeared to be on the up. Doubt this is going to help paddy's confidence...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next