Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

jake_h03 wrote:
daggs001 wrote:
Dow was subbed last week wasn't he?
Isn't he forced to miss because of the sub rule?

Nope. That rule doesn’t exist. I’m annoyed about Dow but I’m more annoyed about SPS. He had 14 touches in just over a half and was one of our most creative players. Far more dangerous than Cottrell, Newnes, or Gibbons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have they changed the rule since it was implemented?

. A Medical Substitute can be activated immediately after it is determined a Player is medically unfit to continue to participate in the match and, due to the nature of the injury sustained, it is reasonably determined the player will be medically unfit to participate in any match for at least the next 12 days.
a. Only the Club Medical Officer can determine a Player is medically unfit.
b. A Medical Substitute can be activated at any stage during the match.
c. A Medical Substitute can occur even after the Interchange Cap of 75 has been met as per current AFL Regulations when an injured player has exited the Playing Surface.
d. On or before the first working day after the match, the Club Medical Officer must provide a Medical Certificate to the AFL certifying that the Player replaced by the Medical Substitute Player sustained the injury.

4. The Medical Substitute Player will be permitted to participate in another match in another competition (e.g. a State League competition) in the equivalent round regardless of whether they are activated during the AFL match.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:35 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I hope that is the sole reason Dow is omitted. If so then fair enough as that is the medical rules.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

If that was the case, he wouldn't be playing VFL.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 am 
Rod Ashman

There is a slight chance that the Club knows more than we do. :smoking:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:33 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Players can play provided the club submits the paperwork, IE they thought it was a 12 day injury but turned out not to be. Not applicable for concussion.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am 
Bruce Doull

A Medical Substitute can be activated immediately after it is determined a Player is medically unfit to continue to participate in the match and, due to the nature of the injury sustained, it is reasonably determined the player will be medically unfit to participate in any match for at least the next 12 days.

That still doesn't explicitly state that the player must miss next week as a rule though. Leaves it wide open for 'he looked no good at the time but recovered very well over the next few days'. At the time there was talk that they should be made to miss the next week, so that the sub rule would actually be used rightly & sparingly, but as it's turned out the only condition where the week off is mandatory is concussion.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:41 am 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
If you're saying Cottrell cost the game, that's plain wrong.

Agree

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CFC8795 wrote:

There's no doubt about that.
They also knew more than us when they hired Malthouse. Having knowledge doesn't make you exempt from making dumb decisions.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 am 
Banned

Im actually delighted the club has omitted Dow and SPS. Excellent young players that are not delivering at an elite level. Dropping them should be seen as a part of their development to get better and not gifted games just because of their age - they need to earn it.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:38 am 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
A Medical Substitute can be activated immediately after it is determined a Player is medically unfit to continue to participate in the match and, due to the nature of the injury sustained, it is reasonably determined the player will be medically unfit to participate in any match for at least the next 12 days.

That still doesn't explicitly state that the player must miss next week as a rule though. Leaves it wide open for 'he looked no good at the time but recovered very well over the next few days'. At the time there was talk that they should be made to miss the next week, so that the sub rule would actually be used rightly & sparingly, but as it's turned out the only condition where the week off is mandatory is concussion.

This is correct.
The club would need to submit paperwork to the AFL would need to tick it off. It would be very surprising if we went through that process to play a guy in the VFL. I also think we would have heard about it..
On the other hand I would have expected the media to be all over it if he were named in the seniors. Integrity of the sub rule blahblah. I doubt Gerard and Robbo would have let it pass without their faux outrage.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:45 am 
Ken Hands

jake_h03 wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Only chance we've got in the middle is for Pittonet to dominate the rookie.

Doubt it. The kid will probably jump all over him. Pitto is a hack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Could Pitto have woken up this morning with a (bad neck ) allowing TDK to come in against a rookie. A good opportunity to give him a game .

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Owies Cottrell and Parks have added a physical presence, and with that tackling pressure, and should be persisted with.

Cottrell squibbed it badly in the middle of the ground against Ess.
Cost us a goal.
Squibbed something shocking.
Worst part all he needed to do was make a contest and we were out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

11 minutes left in the first.

No way did he squib it.
It looked like he tapped the ball forward for him to get around Tippett, and did.
Tippett took a swing at him with a fist, and missed.
Cottrell gets around him and lays a tackle on Laverde.
Fogarty picks up the loose ball and handballs it into the path of Parish....results in goal

If you're saying Cottrell cost the game, that's plain wrong.
Shits me to think you said it was shocking, and laid the blame on Cottrell for a goal after 3 or 4 contests.
He squibbed it Bondi.
Had a chance to go and didn't. If he had made contact the ball would have been out and we had 2 forward of the contest .It would have been an easy scoring opportunity.

Didn't cost us the game as we won. But what could have been an easy carlton goal ended up one the other way.
Even my Mrs who doesn't even watch the game called him a Pussy-babby

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Stefan Martin out is huge for us.

English has to ruck most of the game.

He's a huge , weapon when forward. Like Levi when in top form.

I didn't realise English wasn't selected.
That's huge

Their Rookie Jordan Sweet will play his first game.
He's a 23yo 203cm 106kg Ruck Forward recruited from North Adelaide.

I know nothing about him other than he is too heavy at 106 kg to be jumping over Pitto like Bryan did last week.

This is where we find out how much Pitto has improved his ruck craft. They are similar size and weight.
Pitto has to sync his hit outs with mids.

Last edited by bondiblue on Sun May 09, 2021 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sammo in the middle vs Doggies looked an obvious choice to me.

His form previously against Doggies and his form last week playing mid forward warranted selection imo.

I'm guessing he will be 23rd given he got a run last week and Dow didnt.

Dow unlucky too. Watched the game again looking for a few things posters have pointed out, and thought Dow was in the right place at right time to win clearences. Sometimes it is just the bounce of the ball which goes for you or against you on the day, but Dow looked 'on' last week.

Last edited by bondiblue on Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

If Crippa is fitter than last week, where he couldn't even bend over to pick up the ball, he may dominate, if Pitto gets on top.
Bont and Macrae will be match up on Crippa given they are much taller and heavier than Libba and Treloar

No Stefan or English is in our our favour.

Come on Blues, I feel it in my bones, a long awaited scalp.

Good to go into games this year against last year's and this year's top 8 teams, with a 50-50 chance to win despite long list of injured and underdone players in VFL, and AFL players carrying obvious injuries like Levi, Crippa, Williams and doc. I bet Jack Silvagni is too.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:

They also knew more than us when they hired Malthouse. Having knowledge doesn't make you exempt from making dumb decisions.

Good point :thumbsup:

Hopefully they will get it right one day. Bring on number 17!
Sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CFC8795 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:

Good point :thumbsup:

Hopefully they will get it right one day. Bring on number 17!

One week at a time.

Lets hope todays selected team is the right one for a win.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:08 am 
Wayne Johnston

CarltonClem wrote:
If Dow is fit enough and plays Magoos, I’ll be filthy.

We need clearance players against the Dogs and you want to drop a guy who had 3-4 in about 15 minutes last week before he got injured?

Gibbons on thin ice after his last few weeks but MC obviously know what’s best...........

Maybe Gibbons is better at playing a role and following team instructions than Dow or SPS, and neither Dow nor SPS are playing close enough to their full, gifted potential to outweigh the value of Gibbons?

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:19 am 
Bert Deacon

Someone mentioned it elsewhere, but I like the idea of Gibbons playing a defensive forward role on Daniel to limit his output.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:31 am 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
CarltonClem wrote:
If Dow is fit enough and plays Magoos, I’ll be filthy.

We need clearance players against the Dogs and you want to drop a guy who had 3-4 in about 15 minutes last week before he got injured?

Gibbons on thin ice after his last few weeks but MC obviously know what’s best...........

Maybe Gibbons is better at playing a role and following team instructions than Dow or SPS, and neither Dow nor SPS are playing close enough to their full, gifted potential to outweigh the value of Gibbons?

We got smacked at centre clearances last week. We wont get away with a win if we serve that up again.
Out of around 39 centre bounces, Walsh our best with 3. Cripps and Pittonet 2 and Dow with 2 in 15 minutes of footy. Dow was our ball winner when he was on the ground. You don't discard that when your options are limited. I'd roll the dice.
Zac Williams has shown himself to be a very good stoppage clearance winner but he doesn't win enough centre square ball yet.

Personally I'm hoping the situation has been created by the coaches teaching Dow a lesson for not working his way through his injury last week and toughing it out. However If he was ruled out medically and has been dropped, I think it's shortsighted.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next