Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mark Robinson is a dead set dog of a chief sports editor at Herald sun

He's done it again.

He's put his anti Carlton claws all over the headlines.

Mick Mathouse has written an article titled

Mick Malthouse: How AFL clubs can get the best from their young talent

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/mick-malthouse-how-afl-clubs-can-get-the-best-from-their-young-talent/news-story/da0c961ebbf65c59f6cbdff5e837ff16

The beauty and the beast of youth.

Quote:
It’s an age-old issue that is magnified within AFL clubs when teenagers are drafted and prepped for senior footy.
Youthful enthusiasm and determination is a beautiful thing, but it can quickly become ugly if things aren’t managed well.
Pre-season form can be very misleading.
Young kids tend to excel, because each practice match is like a dream come true and they build themselves into a frenzy to be recognised by the coach and match committee.
While the more experienced players know that practice purely means preparation — no busting their guts, no necessity to be urgent.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
So to the naked eye the young player stands out, and the romance makes it enticing to play the first-year kid in the opening round.
Sometimes it works.

...which the Herald sun pays for. Its a good article covering a lot of teams and eras, and the above quote from it gives you a good idea its a balanced piece, covering a lot of players and teams.

The Herald -Sun's headline on the web to get us interested reads like this:

Malthouse: How Blues have ruined Cripps

He talks about the success of Walsh at length, and this is all he says about Cripps:

Quote:
I’ve always feared for Patrick Cripps.
He wears more bandages than Phar Lap.
Once he established himself as a top midfielder, heavy expectation was placed on his shoulders.
It can wear a player out.

That's 2 Headlines in a week on the web where the headline Robbo creates doesn't reflect the Headline of an article nor the report.

Its time the Carlton family really called him out for what he is and isn't.

He is not an impartial journalist. His writing is sloppy and his bias for Effendruggies* is deplorable. Makes the Herald sun a propaganda piece for his support of the drug cheats.

Have a listen to him on 360. Check out his body language and his snarl when he mentions Carlton, nah don't...I just watch it on and off these days, when the kids have it on, and they hate him and they are only 13 and 16. He is deeply upsetting them. "Why does he do this to Carlton, every time he speaks about them". About to cancel Foxtel and go to kayo when I could be bothered.

If I see Robbo in the street I will tell him he's a disgrace to Aussie Rules, the game that feeds him and he is a complete turn off for Carlton kids growing up. Rupert Murdoch's dad would be turning in his grave to see what journalism has become with Robbo at the helm of Sport for the Herald Sun.

Boo him when you see him and tell him he's putting off thousands of kids with his constnt unbalanced, and sick attack on their team carlton.

I hope we smash the Effendruggies* to oblivion this Sunday.

Come on Bluebaggers.

All this before a Carlton Essendon* clash.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Parks should return to the defence. The move of SPS out of the backline for Stocker was OK but Newnes into the defensive rotation wasn't successful.
It will be interesting to see if Newnes returns to his offensive wing role or if he cops it in the neck for his effort last week.

I reckon that's where it stands.

Newnes has been very ordinary and uncommitted to the team the last 2 weeks..

I thought Stocker played his man close as a BP should. If he can add some attack and long accurate passes to his game...tomorrow is the time to start.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:16 am 
Bob Chitty

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Parks should return to the defence. The move of SPS out of the backline for Stocker was OK but Newnes into the defensive rotation wasn't successful.
It will be interesting to see if Newnes returns to his offensive wing role or if he cops it in the neck for his effort last week.

I thought Stocker played his man close as a BP should. If he can add some attack and long accurate passes to his game...tomorrow is the time to start.

Newnes has been very good at times and not so good more latterly. Wouldn't be first on my chopping block but needs to get back to his early season form.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

ianh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Newnes has been very good at times and not so good more latterly. Wouldn't be first on my chopping block but needs to get back to his early season form.

Agree.

I thought our wingmen Newnes and setterfields against Tigers round 1 saved us from a bigger defeat.
Their defensive running and helping lock the ball in the forwardline was exactly what wing men should do in todays game.
Both have lost a bit of form since then. Proved to me they've got what it takes.

Newnes' strong body is an assett.

I like Newnes on a wing because he has that defensive mindset and a big motor.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
The coaches have way too much say. It just goes on and on...

If coaches had their way we’d have 14 minute quarters with no time on, 12 on the bench (unlimited rotations) and 17 matches a season.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

I like what Teague said about finding a balance with the young v old and importance of picking a team with the best chance of winning.

Seems he and the club shares my view the Bolton years (particularly 18-19) made losing acceptable and not even counted as a metric and may have ruined certain players, as they never got the resilience, backbone and hard work required to be a regular AFL player, games were gifted to them just because they were young and high draft picks.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, if we have to be a middling side for a decade, so be it. Play to win every week, none of this green shoots, emotional nourishment BS ever again.

Put expectations on the playing group and club, rather than using the “it’s ok we are rebuilding” BS as an out.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

Happy if that is true Adam but he did say we won’t be gifting young players games and I get that but at the moment at risk of gifting games to old players

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

frank dardew wrote:
Happy if that is true Adam but he did say we won’t be gifting young players games and I get that but at the moment at risk of gifting games to old players

I agree, Teague did say it was a balance between that too.

Maybe a case of just not enough good players on the list, in total, and mix of guys out of form, carrying injuries, younger players who haven’t come on and others out injured.

I do believe we can drop 1-2 more experienced players though, as I feel some have been cruising.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Adam Chatfield wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
The coaches have way too much say. It just goes on and on...

If coaches had their way we’d have 14 minute quarters with no time on, 12 on the bench (unlimited rotations) and 17 matches a season.

Tell them to coach because they need to get that right.
Coaches are there to win a flag. Right? Too right!
I bet you, this year, 17 coaches will not get their hands on the Premiership cup.
So, they better shut their traps and get on with their No. 1 job.
They have an agenda which is not to benefit the code, but the list they are coaching.
Chris Scott...the biggest mouth of the lot. Bigger than Eddie everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Adam Chatfield wrote:
I like what Teague said about finding a balance with the young v old and importance of picking a team with the best chance of winning.

Seems he and the club shares my view the Bolton years (particularly 18-19) made losing acceptable and not even counted as a metric and may have ruined certain players, as they never got the resilience, backbone and hard work required to be a regular AFL player, games were gifted to them just because they were young and high draft picks.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, if we have to be a middling side for a decade, so be it. Play to win every week, none of this green shoots, emotional nourishment BS ever again.

Put expectations on the playing group and club, rather than using the “it’s ok we are rebuilding” BS as an out.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Learn from the past and we will be stronger for it.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

Teague could just start by playing players in positions that match their strengths.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Adam Chatfield wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

I agree, Teague did say it was a balance between that too.

Maybe a case of just not enough good players on the list, in total, and mix of guys out of form, carrying injuries, younger players who haven’t come on and others out injured.

I do believe we can drop 1-2 more experienced players though, as I feel some have been cruising.

Agree with both of you.

If we win tomorrow, and win well because our peripheral guys stepped up I can see the media turn around and say something about Green shoots turn into grown men...and if its Cuningham, SPS, Gov and Plow who lead the charge, SOS is a guru headline will appear.

Just want to win tomorrow. A point will do.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

Christ sake... why does it take so long to get a team sheet out?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
Christ sake... why does it take so long to get a team sheet out?

Yeah !

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

Looks like the attention will be all on Collingwood this week.
Can’t believe we are the only team they have beaten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:13 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

At least Teague is aware....

'some people think it's only important to beat Collingwood Richmond and Essendon*'

YEP... YOU BET....

lose and it's a waste of a season already....

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

grrofunger wrote:
Teague could just start by playing players in positions that match their strengths.

Im not sure 17 players at every centre bounce will fly

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:42 pm 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
Looks like the attention will be all on Collingwood this week.
Can’t believe we are the only team they have beaten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had more available then and we were particularly bad that night, yet still got within 8 points going into the last quarter.

Since then, they have lost a fair few more players, narrow loss to Brisbane and then it’s snowballed from there.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

It’s after 5 where are the teams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jake_h03 wrote:
It’s after 5 where are the teams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6:30

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next