Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:54 am 
Robert Walls

Asp wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
What a joke.

The mismanagement of our young players continues.

SPS dropped is ridiculous

What the hell was the Dow strategy over the past few weeks? Dropped. Sub. Average VFL game. Back in.

Well said. For some strange irrational reason they seem to love Dow who is not good enough to tie SPS's bootlaces. But they keep flogging the dead horse because he was pick 3. Apparently Setterfield was BOG last week but they recall can't kick, can't mark, can't find the ball Dow. Go figure !

Yep...we see evidence of that in all your posts

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:01 am 
Garry Crane

JK wrote:
The fact there isn’t anyone pushing him out the side is more concerning. Will never forget when Licuria and Lockyer got pushed out of Coll midfield was when they announced themselves in the early 00s. Ed is a similar player to those two, but with us the rung underneath are either or both underdeveloped or not ruthless enough

I think he's adding enough value to remain in the team. I don't really subscribe to player X is 30 now and needs to go. I think if they're playing well enough then keep them in. He still gets it 25 times and negates his opponent most weeks - when the coaches don't do something silly and put him on a wing that is.

FWIW Licuria played in the 02 and 03 Grand Final (named on ball both games) and Lockyer played in the 02 GF, did his knee in 03 and then played well over 100 games until 2010. Licuria played 70 or 80 games post the 03 GF.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:14 am 
Garry Crane

Walsh wrote:
We have hit a point where we are cycling rookies (kennedy, owies & parks) and playing out of form kids due to injury list being too long.

Yes injury list is one hell of a disaster.

Silvagni, Murphy, Williams, Carroll, Kemp, Marchbank, Fisher, Martin, Curnow, Philp, McDonald all unavailable for selection this week because of injury with De Koning and Newman first game back in the seconds. That's essentially 30% of our list we can't pick and it seems to be like this most weeks year on year.
So much talent sitting in the stands every week - so @#$%&! frustrating!

That said, no excuses, kill Essendon*

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:22 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Ed was taken to the cleaners last week but again protected species.!!!

Ed who had 30 possessions, our equal most tackles (7), our most clearances (8), our most centre clearances (4), our most inside 50's (10)?
How does this "protected species" keep getting a game? :grin:

BTW, who "cleaned him up" exactly?

I am one, how many turnovers did he have.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:23 am 
Wayne Johnston

Big Kahuna Boot wrote:
..MM dropped for output, or actual injury ??.. ....if he's not injured, or Carlton style not injured enough, I think he should be played.. ....with time through the middle.. ....and use him, if not now, then later,, as an offensive player.. ....all out attacking play.. ....give him license to roll the dice..

Has he ever played other than this way over the last few years?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:41 am 
Geoff Southby

TheDenominator wrote:
Yes injury list is one hell of a disaster.

Silvagni, Murphy, Williams, Carroll, Kemp, Marchbank, Fisher, Martin, Curnow, Philp, McDonald all unavailable for selection this week because of injury with De Koning and Newman first game back in the seconds. That's essentially 30% of our list we can't pick and it seems to be like this most weeks year on year.
So much talent sitting in the stands every week - so @#$%&! frustrating!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:53 am 
Stephen Kernahan

redback wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Ed who had 30 possessions, our equal most tackles (7), our most clearances (8), our most centre clearances (4), our most inside 50's (10)?

3 clangers out off 30 possessions. Cripps had 11 out of 25 possessions.
Zorko who apparently cleaned him up had 7 clangers out of 20 possessions. But it's a rhetorical question anyway, isn't it?
Will the reality actually sway your opinion?

For the record, Ed hardly played on Zorko. He didn't attend the first 3 centre bounces of the second quarter when Zorko had 3 of his 6 possessions for the quarter and Brisbane kicked 3 goals in around 4 minutes. In fact, Curnow is rarely playing on a particular player at stoppages any more unless he's given a hard tagging role. For the past few weeks he plays a more strategic positioning role as a stoppage sweeper.
At centre bounces, he lines up on the defensive side of the stoppage to prevent the opposition exiting out the front of the stoppage which is the most difficult to defend. Around the ground he also positions himself on the defensive side to prevent players taking the ball on the fly. So he doesn't dictate his opponent. The opposition do by their set ups.

Why do you think he plays that role? IMHO, it's because he has the commitment, discipline and selfless attitude to play the role. Who else would you trust to play it other than Walsh?
Zorko beat Cuningham and Williams twice in the centre square. The couple of times Zorko went to Ed in the second quarter. Ed beat him. He plays a team role so when I read shit about him being a protected species or being touched up, it tells me the person making the claim either is happy to bag players without watching their role properly or they don't understand his real value.

So when he receives a coaches vote for his game, and supporters try to tell me he should be dropped, who should I believe? The person who understands his role or the one who perhaps doesn't?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:06 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
redback wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Zorko who apparently cleaned him up had 7 clangers out of 20 possessions. But it's a rhetorical question anyway, isn't it?

For the record, Ed hardly played on Zorko. He didn't attend the first 3 centre bounces of the second quarter when Zorko had 3 of his 6 possessions for the quarter and Brisbane kicked 3 goals in around 4 minutes. In fact, Curnow is rarely playing on a particular player at stoppages any more unless he's given a hard tagging role. For the past few weeks he plays a more strategic positioning role as a stoppage sweeper.
At centre bounces, he lines up on the defensive side of the stoppage to prevent the opposition exiting out the front of the stoppage which is the most difficult to defend. Around the ground he also positions himself on the defensive side to prevent players taking the ball on the fly. So he doesn't dictate his opponent. The opposition do by their set ups.

Why do you think he plays that role? IMHO, it's because he has the commitment, discipline and selfless attitude to play the role. Who else would you trust to play it other than Walsh?
Zorko beat Cuningham and Williams twice in the centre square. The couple of times Zorko went to Ed in the second quarter. Ed beat him. He plays a team role so when I read shit about him being a protected species or being touched up, it tells me the person making the claim either is happy to bag players without watching their role properly or they don't understand his real value.

So when he receives a coaches vote for his game, and supporters try to tell me he should be dropped, who should I believe? The person who understands his role or the one who perhaps doesn't?

:clap:

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

redback wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

I don't know the answer to that redback, but the way he and Cripps are hacking the ball forward, and the way Williams and walsh are kicking long bombs, maybe they are doing what the coach asks of them, and maybe the coach expects turnovers from blind kicks forward.

The smart opposition coaches would would direct their backs to guard the area the hacked kick is likely to go: hence turnovers.

It look like that to me. Its unsophisticated and simple. Then lock it in.

Who knows?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
redback wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Great read.

Makes sense.

Backed up with facts.

Ed should be congratulated for selfless footy. Wish it would spread to some of the heroes in the team.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:38 am 
Ken Hunter

Ok - I’ll ask. If I don’t know anything about our structure or football and if Curnow was on the defensive side of our clearances, why was that, if Crippa normally plays that role. If Ed wasn’t trying to tag Zorko or Neal, then who was he trying to get the tag? Why wasn’t Ed tagging? When did he become our attacking weapon? I know what I saw, so maybe I don’t understand or comprehend our game, so maybe then it’s our coaches that couldn’t get the match ups they wanted and we played with one less offensive, running midfielder?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I'm not saying you know nothing about our structure or football Surrey.
What I'm saying is the players have roles and we don't know the intricacies of them. Ed was rarely playing on Zorko yet you're saying he should be dropped because Zorko touched him up. IMO, he didn't.
By all means have opinions but when players are unfairly criticised (IMHO), the point should be debated.
We all have our biases. Harry frustrates me severely because he has enormous talent and I don't think he realises it. Others are quick to put me back in my box when Harry has a good game.

It's all part of being a passionate supporter.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:12 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
redback wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Great read.

Makes sense.

Backed up with facts.

Ed should be congratulated for selfless footy. Wish it would spread to some of the heroes in the team.

Wrong bv, don't embellish facts, he had 10 clangers.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:18 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
redback wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

I don't know the answer to that redback, but the way he and Cripps are hacking the ball forward, and the way Williams and walsh are kicking long bombs, maybe they are doing what the coach asks of them, and maybe the coach expects turnovers from blind kicks forward.

The smart opposition coaches would would direct their backs to guard the area the hacked kick is likely to go: hence turnovers.

It look like that to me. Its unsophisticated and simple. Then lock it in.

Who knows?

You might be right bondi but i have never been a fan of an unskilled afl tagger that is there just to stop a good player from showing his talent and skill. You need to hurt the opposition when required. Cripps also need a kick in the rectum.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

redback wrote:

I don't have access to a lot of the Champion data stats, or haven't bothered finding out where I can get easy access.

Ate Clangers and turnovers the same thing?

I keep hearing the different interpretations of stats from different statisticians, and whats counted and what's not, and whats in a particular category and what's not.

Its bloody confusing, so I have to trust my eye on the TV usually and watch a few replays because I have the time.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:44 am 
Bruce Doull

I would have just gone Kennedy for Williams, & Honey for Murphy. SPS stays.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

redback wrote:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... ?mid=10375

Averaging 3.7 per game from 25.8 disposals per game
3 clangers against Brisbane

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro# ... /Curnow-Ed

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

Are many here going today?
I am not, people I go with have pretty much had enough and refuse to pay to go and watch an away game.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Not today Kezza. My daughter is playing at 3.00pm so it's the radio for me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yep not going either. Got a crook back plus can't be bothered putting up with their flower supporters. I've gone soft

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next