Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
Unless they're prepared to hit the fast forward button on Honey & promote him, I wouldn't be surprised (or too disappointed) if there was no change

Kind of feel the same. Dow and Setters have had their chance. They need 4 weeks minimum of solid VFL form before even being considered.
LOB isn't even in the conversation.
Unless they want to throw Honey and/or Ramsay in. No change.
EDIT: Eddie needs to go. Bring Owies in. Not convinced he'll make it but give him a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:50 pm 
Robert Walls

Whilst I'd like to make changes, I'm just not sure any AFL-listed players in the VFL really demanded selection (despite winning by 10 goals).

You could drop Gibbons or Betts... but your probable replacements are Owies, who didn't really do anything on the weekend, or Honey, who is a different sort of player and has hardly played at all so far this season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

Walsh wrote:
redback wrote:
Walsh wrote:
redback wrote:
Walsh wrote:
They will get physically monstered - don't benchmark them against Collingwood they are definite bottom four.

You mean against one of the teams we lost to.

One of the worst performances I have seen this team play where the coach had to break a table so they can wake up. If they play Suns at Gold Coast or Freo they will get flogged.

Sorry mate we're not going anywhere with our selections and game plan.
We crowd our forward line with midgets that take away space and think thay are kp, we do not tackle with intent, our clearances are atrocious as is our disposal. I will stop there for now as its mind boggling trying to understand what full time players are doing every day to improve their deficiencies or what they are been taught.

I disagree but thats what makes Carlton forums great.
We were never going to beat top four sides with this injury list. We need our best players on the park. We have been competitive against top four teams just lacking class we have that class just injured.

Travelling as expected with everything considered. Not going to play this many top four type teams 2nd half of year so I prefer to keep the faith and trust the club - but that's just me.

Top 4 teams? Currently we've only played one - Port.

WB, Dees and Cats to come. They just can't wait to play us.

We keep making excuses. CFC are not a very good football team.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

100th game for Weitering :clap:

Harry is seven short of 100 goals.

I'd probably drop Casboult for this week and roll with a 2nd ruck by committee... Harry, Gov & Crippa to sort it out.

I'm not too worried about the Bombers speed. It's an issue, but it's not something that we are able to counter without throwing the baby out with the bath water.

We have to strengthen our resolve along the wing, so I'd look to bring Kennedy in to play the role that Silvagni would otherwise fill and either move Gibbons up the ground or bring in someone else to contribute in that area. It might be Stocker, with Williamson coming back in to play the back pocket role.

I don't think it was by design that Stocker ended up on the last line of defence against Brisbane. For mine, I think the whole wing transition fell apart as it has done whenever we come up against a good midfield with an A-grade small forward. This mob don't have that ever-present threat on the end of the chain, so they need to be more precise than Brisbane were able to be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:10 pm 
Bert Deacon

simple our forwards need to tackle there ass off /we can not allow ess to cruise out of our fwd line and get there running game going. P8 for saad i never wanted this trade to happen wanted nik cox.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
So who do we drop this week

Ive watched the game 3 times now.

I thought Levi was horrible to watch. Really horrible.
Would we have been better off with someone eles in his spot? No doubt.

Gibbons doesn't tackle when he should. Always thinks he's going to get the ball in his hand in the last secon....as if. He's living in hope.

At the MCG we need players with stamina who can run both ways. Gibbons can run for the duration of a game.
Not sure if Honey is ready. He shouldn't be coming back from injury, but I'd prefer him as defensive forward coz Gibbo isnt doing that.

Parks should be back...do we really need Levi? That's the million dollar question...or Can we afford to continue to carry him?

I though Cuningham was good when he was near the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:37 pm 
Wayne Johnston

‘Shock treatment’: Time for a big-name Blue to fall, says Rhys-Jones‘Shock treatment’:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sho ... 57mba.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:06 pm 
Robert Walls

Rhys-Jones is completely right... but there's no-one to bring in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

The team needs a shock or two, so give a rude wake up call , focus on tackling , more physicality , aerobic capacity and skills, train them hard , make them earn their spot no easy selection.
That will shake them up a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

I’m less into “shock” selection than “pick the best team available” selection.

Based on form, and who else we currently have available (and AFL fit), I would drop Betts but not Murphy this week.

There’s literally no like-for-like replacement for Casboult, so it would require a fundamental structural change to drop him. I’m not necessarily opposed to that, but the risks of making such a disruptive change would need to be carefully considered.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Now the Age is getting into the Carlton bashing with Rhys-Jones.

Whilst I agree that Murphy Eddie and levi are peripheral themselves and should be dropped.

Levi did zero, Murphy kicked 2 and I thought Eddie was Ok just inaccurate, till I read that Teague suggested he lacked confidence. Did he? I didnt hear that. But if he did, then fair enough.

I'd drop Levi but then all the attention goes to harry and Gov...well Harry, so Levi is a decoy.

I'd drop Murph but he's 9 shy of 300. Not my problem but as if the club would...should make him 23rd player

From what I saw Eddie provided speed and pressure moreso than Gibbons and Fogarty TBH.

But listen to this line, which typical media rubbish and grubby journalism

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/shock-treatment-time-for-a-big-name-blue-to-fall-says-rhys-jones-20210426-p57mba.html

Quote:
The Blues have conceded an average of 102.5 points in their four losses – the fourth most of any side with at least two defeats.

Of all the 18 teams, Carlton, sitting 13th on the ladder, has 7th most kicked against them, with Pies only 3 points less, but the [2nd most of teams with 2 defeats.... and have players whose mothers were born in June .... in the southern hemisphere ... under 2 pounds at birth....]. FMD is that journalism or propaganda. They are writing for a 7yo audience. Fair dinkum embarrassing.

3 teams above them have had more kicked against them including West Coast eagles.

No mention Carlton have lost by less than 5 goals in their 3 losses whilst teams above them, Saints, Swans, Eagles, Cats, Freo, Tigers, Crows, GCS and Bombers have lost games by more than 10 goals.

David King is quoted in the same article

Quote:
labelled the Blues’ man-on-man defence as “horrible”.

“It looks dated. It doesn’t look like the modern plan. It doesn’t look like a team defence, it’s a back six. That’s not 2021 football,” King said on SEN.

Tell me exactly what that means and how relative it is to 2021 and the teams who have done worse. It doesn't.

We haven't defended the leading lanes, which is fixable and the culprit for 2 of the 4 losses we should have won has been dropped.

Its getting ridiculous.

@#$%&! them all. NO CHANGES this week.

Lets see if Teague can fix these shortfalls in defense, and eddie kicks straight this week.

Nothing to lose.

King is a dead set flog. Leigh Matthews said his pet hate is journos who use one example out of context, by showing a video of one passsage of play from 120 minutes of footy, to prove a point that doesn't really reflect reality.

Carlton have not lost a game by 5 goals this season after 6 rounds with 16 to go. Talk about sensationalism to sell papers and get click bait. Those who believe him are flogs too.

None have mentioned 11 injuries, 5 playing injured in a team with 20 kids under 24 years of age.

I know we have deficiencies protecting the lead path, turnovers and bad kicking to goal, lacking a bit of mongrel, but all the other stuff they are sensationalising...FMD, they are so off the mark.

Last edited by bondiblue on Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

I've gone back a bit on Betts. At least he brings some excitement when he gets near the ball. Harry has had the excitement factor the last few weeks. Sam Walsh yes. Zac Williams and saad disappointingly no. Jones yes (even with the clangers). Mclovin yes, just doesn't get it enough. Pretty much all the rest seem to have had the x factor beat out of them. Obviously you need your weitering and E curnow muscle. But just seems too many vanillas

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bmaurizio wrote:
The team needs a shock or two, so give a rude wake up call , focus on tackling , more physicality , aerobic capacity and skills, train them hard , make them earn their spot no easy selection.
That will shake them up a bit.

That's what's needed.

The season thus far, because of injuries, in the main, has been a wake up call for the club.

It needed to happen now, not later. Its a shake up in itself, but as you say bm, we need more of.... we know the gaps.

The list profile...well Austin, you needed to do better, ditto Silvagni (too late now), and Russell, FFS they look too skinny, and where is the sports psych to get them wanting to run through walls aka, conditioned for the brutality of Aussie rules?

And Teague, what happened to our team defense? I know Williamson had to protect the corridor and didnt, couldnt, wouldnt, then who was protecting the leading runway when williamson was dropped...oh yeah, we won those games....but not last week. Why? Where's the forward defense you always talk about and trained for all preseason? All preseason! That's on you Teague.

You know, the best thing from all this gap identification (and the media frenzy is just a sideshow) its All fixable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:

Based on form, and who else we currently have available (and AFL fit), I would drop Betts but not Murphy this week.

There’s literally no like-for-like replacement for Casboult, so it would require a fundamental structural change to drop him. I’m not necessarily opposed to that, but the risks of making such a disruptive change would need to be carefully considered.

McGovern has the right game style to play CHF. Whether it lasts for four quarters is the question.

But @#$%&!, what a statement he could make. He’d have nothing to lose & for a club crippled by fear & sadness, it could be just the shot in the arm that the place needs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

99prelim wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
I’m not sure how we have no tall options left on the list to replace Casboult but he needs to go.

Newnes, Gibbons look like list cloggers at the moment, but again no idea who to replace them with.

List management looks poor right now

Richmond won a GF with one tall fwd and Grigg second ruck

Casboult is injured and playing poorly...Be creative Teague et al. Find a solution and don't hide behind the "there's no one left at VFL level bc of injuries"

McG is in the team now...why can't he play the kick out target (or whatever its called)

What Richmond did is irrelevant now. If you get first possession out of the middle and kick to a tall leading target you’re a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

Do we get more long term from persisting with Setterfield and and Dow/LoB than Murphy (who was ok), Betts (who wasn’t terrible) Gibbons and Newnes (neither have long term AFL futures)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:06 pm 
Robert Walls

BlueJean wrote:
99prelim wrote:
bmaurizio wrote:
99prelim wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Dons looked good today. Reckon we're in deep shit

They will slice, dice, julienne and grate us into another depressing week at work the following week

Bombers by 38...after getting to a 50+ lead and then accomodating a couple of junk time goals for us

Yup agree with you spot on , we ain’t close at this stage , more pain in the near future , at least expect it until Rd 10. Hopefully after that , better personal availability will make a difference in the 2nd half of the season, we just have to suck it in , the reality is we’re no where near the mark . Recruitment has been absurdity amateurish at times , pick 3 on Dow & pick 10 on O’Brien , I’ll never forgive, shameful negligence. 2017 draft should have reinforced the team, not the weakened it.

I reckon our culture of mental fragility / entitlement to a game is killing us more that the recruitment

I think you and I are on the same page 99prelim.

CULTURE

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

McGovern has the right game style to play CHF. Whether it lasts for four quarters is the question.

But @#$%&!, what a statement he could make. He’d have nothing to lose & for a club crippled by fear & sadness, it could be just the shot in the arm that the place needs.

For the love of god, can we please drop Casboult

A cumbersome forward, who has been on an AFL list for way too long

This malarkey about his importance due to being the second ruck needs to stop

Playing one short every week doesn’t help our chances in making meaningful improvement

Need to make a clean break from players like him

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:16 pm 
Robert Walls

bluechampion wrote:
Rhys-Jones is completely right... but there's no-one to bring in.

And that myth is what is leading to our complacency bc

Take your pick(s):

Kennedy for Levi (Jones and McG can pinch hit in the ruck)
Honey/Owies for Betts
Ramsay/Dow for Murphy
Parks (if fit) for Plowman

Look...these are not perfect like for likes, nor are the reserves payers fully deserving. Having said that, are all our senior players deserving of keeping their spot? Sh1t No!!!

In a way, I don't care...DT and his coaches have got a whole week to make some tweaks, bring in something different and send a message that poor performances won't be tolerated

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:18 pm 
Robert Walls

DesEnglish wrote:
99prelim wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
I’m not sure how we have no tall options left on the list to replace Casboult but he needs to go.

Newnes, Gibbons look like list cloggers at the moment, but again no idea who to replace them with.

List management looks poor right now

Richmond won a GF with one tall fwd and Grigg second ruck

Casboult is injured and playing poorly...Be creative Teague et al. Find a solution and don't hide behind the "there's no one left at VFL level bc of injuries"

McG is in the team now...why can't he play the kick out target (or whatever its called)

What Richmond did is irrelevant now. If you get first possession out of the middle and kick to a tall leading target you’re a chance.

Our rare possessions out of the middle are hack kicks that the opp feed off. Would rather take my chances with a fit, faster and more skilled footballer than Cas right now

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next