Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
Agree (in part) with Rod Spooky. Whilst maybe not for this game I have always liked the idea of trialling Jones in the ruck. His kamikaze style would fit that role I think - be a tough additional player in congestion, huge leap, big tackles, polish not so important, can help out the backline...
Wonder what Mc G would look like down back, Jones in the ruck (or back up when TDK gets going...)

Jones is bordering on AA form.
You move players who are struggling in their current role. You don't move players who are performing at a high level.
Richmond did it with Balta and it resulted in his form going backwards.

Playing Jones in the ruck in the VFL was what turned his career around and allowed him to regain confidence so I don’t think it would affect his form. But I do agree with you that it’s a bad idea to move him out of defence where he is doing well.

Like you said better to move Guv around as he’s not having much impact anyway and could benefit from being more involved for more of the game.

I don't think Jones is the long term answer for the back up ruck spot, so much as he's going to play on Wright anyway, who will pinch hit for them, he may as well follow him in.

Phillips isn't going to be BOG or even the difference between the two sides. Good a week as any to not see Levi as a structural necessity. Especially with TDK coming back soon.

A fit Philips imo was better in the ruck than Kreuzer.
Problem was he was injury prone, and has continued to be at Effendrugs*.
He is fit now and jumped over Grundy as would DeKoning.

If Pittonet doesn't smash into Philips every contest to wear him down, and or have second thoughts and takes his eye off the ball, he may well be the catalyst for a win to the druggies.

Have to stop supply to their midfield group.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:00 am 
Rod Ashman

Well that’s a bit of a turnaround!
People were less than overwhelmed by Phillips at Carlton and I’d dare say no one was that torn up about him leaving.
But now he’s at another club, he’s going to rip us apart??

I think this is a window into how harsh we are on our own players, and the halo effect we apply to others outside our AFL team (including our VFL players who somehow become game-breakers that should immediately be brought into the seniors even though they have repeatedly failed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:06 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
Agree (in part) with Rod Spooky. Whilst maybe not for this game I have always liked the idea of trialling Jones in the ruck. His kamikaze style would fit that role I think - be a tough additional player in congestion, huge leap, big tackles, polish not so important, can help out the backline...
Wonder what Mc G would look like down back, Jones in the ruck (or back up when TDK gets going...)

Jones is bordering on AA form.
You move players who are struggling in their current role. You don't move players who are performing at a high level.
Richmond did it with Balta and it resulted in his form going backwards.

Playing Jones in the ruck in the VFL was what turned his career around and allowed him to regain confidence so I don’t think it would affect his form. But I do agree with you that it’s a bad idea to move him out of defence where he is doing well.

Like you said better to move Guv around as he’s not having much impact anyway and could benefit from being more involved for more of the game.

I don't think Jones is the long term answer for the back up ruck spot, so much as he's going to play on Wright anyway, who will pinch hit for them, he may as well follow him in.

Phillips isn't going to be BOG or even the difference between the two sides. Good a week as any to not see Levi as a structural necessity. Especially with TDK coming back soon.

A fit Philips imo was better in the ruck than Kreuzer.
Problem was he was injury prone, and has continued to be at Effendrugs*.
He is fit now and jumped over Grundy as would DeKoning.

If Pittonet doesn't smash into Philips every contest to wear him down, and or have second thoughts and takes his eye off the ball, he may well be the catalyst for a win to the druggies.

Have to stop supply to their midfield group.

Stop supply to the junkies should be written on the whiteboard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:
Well that’s a bit of a turnaround!
People were less than overwhelmed by Phillips at Carlton and I’d dare say no one was that torn up about him leaving.
But now he’s at another club, he’s going to rip us apart??

I think this is a window into how harsh we are on our own players, and the halo effect we apply to others outside our AFL team (including our VFL players who somehow become game-breakers that should immediately be brought into the seniors even though they have repeatedly failed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how you remember discussions.

Not from me.

jimmae and I used to have heaps of discussion over Philips.
He was adamant he was tall and weak, even had a picture of one of those attention seeking gumby like contraptions that move with air through them.
There were other TCers
In fact, that was jimmaes last posts here on TC, because TCers were jumping on his and highlighted the flaws in his argument against jimmae. I felt guilty when he left because I liked him and his input, we had a relationship, despite the "know it all" nature of his arguments, and never back down if he's wrong attitude.

Maybe you remember jimmae's argument because he argued better than the rest if us?

Here's a snap shot, and its an adhoc snapshot because you are incorrect big time on this matter 17th

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=35095&start=320

Next Generation wrote
Quote:
Agree. His tapwork is quite outstanding. When you look at the number of times he put it straight down Crippa’s throat it just emphasises the importance of have a great tap ruckman as opposed to a great follower. If you could combine him and Kruze you’d probably have the perfect ruckman.

Blue Vain wrote
Quote:
I don't know which game you were watching. He easily beat an excellent up and coming ruckman in ruck craft.
Smashed O'Brien at effective taps and gave our mids an armchair ride. That's what won us the game. Winning the contested footy and locking it in our forward line.
If he can stay fit, he's No.1 ruck IMHO.

sinbagger wrote
Quote:
I agree, his tapwork (and Levi’s) was excellent, and compared to the the impact a fit Kruezer would give around the ground he was lacking.

asp wrote
Quote:
Phillips had 35 taps with 16 effective. O'Brien had 32 taps with 2 effective. i.e. He got smashed. O'Brien did much better around the ground with 20 possessions, but no goals compared to one from Phillips. It is not as if ruckmen follow each other around all day. At the end of the day if most games are won in the middle, Phillips and Cripps gave us a huge head start, ably supported by Curnow, Walsh and Murphy. Love the Kruez, but Phillips is a better tap ruckman. Surprised that Phillips and Walsh were not named in the best players.

and

Quote:
Need to keep him. He is a better tap ruckman than Kruz. At least he taps it to our players.

and
Quote:
Even when Kruzer is fit, Phillips is a better ruckman. More hitouts to our players and a better mark. Still room for Kruze, especially if the Bolt is still getting a game for some reason.

Rexy wrote
Quote:
Wants 2 yrs - talking to the drug cheats according to Mitch Cleary

We offered him 1 year.

Donstuie wrote
Quote:
Given our ruck deficiencies I wouldn’t be giving him up (especially to the cheats) for peanuts.

Carnablues wrote
Quote:
I would have thought 2 years at his age is OK.

kezza wrote
Quote:
Disappointed to be losing him.
A 2 year deal at his age is not such a bad thing.
Hope SOS knows what he is doing.

BluesRockmyworld
Quote:
On exposed form, he has the No.1 ruck spot for Rnd1. Was easily in the best two or three in JLT1 and with a big question mark over Kruze fitness, should be a walk up start.

Stefchook wrote
Quote:
Bit of an architect today. His ruckwork was outstanding.

Mickstar
Quote:
Don't understand the knock on this bloke.Good overhead,taps it beautifully to advantage,and follows it up with a presence down forward.Fantastic game today.

this is all off one page, I couldnt bother looking for my multitude debates I had with him on other threads.

a few pages later...

abns wrote
Quote:
Out of contract (I think?) so he could walk. We’re not in a strong position at the trade table on this one. I hope he stays, he provides good ruck depth. If Lobbe, Phillips & Casboult all leave in one hit, our ruck stocks suddenly consist only of Kreuzer (ageing and battle scarred) and TDK (a good few years away from his prime).

Robertb wrote
Quote:
Time for SOS to go full Dodoro :lol:

Future first or we match their $ offer and keep him. He's handy depth when fit.

Love that one. :lol:

Barrass wrote
Quote:
Phillips no certainty going to the bombers

But SOS had to have the last say...even if Philips was needed.

Blue Sombrero
Quote:
SOS's statement on getting Pinocchio in was also backhander at Phillips.
Something along the lines of 'we were happy to keep him but when he started looking elsewhere we had to do this.'

I miss Blue Sombrero, a lot.

Lace out
Quote:
Easily our best tap ruckman and best back up over all ruckman.

AIRCAV wrote
Quote:
Trade radio. “Carlton chased Pittonet so Phillips looked elsewhere”.

Bang head

abns wrote
Quote:
Perhaps the club thought he would accept a 1 year deal this time, given we’d looked after him last time, but Essendon** obviously got in his ear.

I guess at 28 years of age you have to take the longer term deal, but I get the impression the club was/is mildly miffed.

and finally, this is what you might remember ... after he signed with the scum

Great Ex wrote
Quote:
I liked him, but now I think he's a cauliflower for reasons that elude me...

of course we don't wish him well, not do we think he was any good....after he signed.

Hey 17th, I didn't mean to rub it in, but I remember the Philips stuff like yesterday, then jimmae left. I actually couldn't help enjoying the read TBH. It was easy to cut and paste.

Had to point out the inaccuracy in your statement, incase you didn't believe me, and so that it doesn't become dogma here.

Maybe a SOS mistake. All Philips wanted was to stay at Carlton for chips and 2 years. Would be great in the VFL, and maybe for us this year. We find out tomorrow.

I have no doubt Philips is a better tap ruckman than Pitto, and a better kick for goal. BUT, I really hope Pitto works him over phyiscally, because that's his only chance, and we will all feel better about the Trade.

We've been waiting for this day 2 years now.

GO Pitto.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:

Perception is reality.

There is a bit of that 17th.
We watch our players closer than others do, and vice versa, and we feel every mistake they make, and it sticks in our memory banks, for a long long time.

All players make mistakes. Ditto List managers and Board Members and Coaches....but not you and me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:19 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:

Stop supply to the junkies should be written on the whiteboard

Post of the Week

:thumbsup:

That's gold Des

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:35 am 
Robert Walls

Turns out this is all academic. Phillips is out injured.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:42 am 
Bruce Doull

:lol:

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluechampion wrote:
Turns out this is all academic. Phillips is out injured.

That settles it

Pitto is better.
You can't do anything on the wrong side of the fence.

SOS was right....well...maybe Philips would have been less injury prone in the VFL, and if so his presence would have helped the development of our highly priced draftees.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:25 pm 
Garry Crane

Anyone know where the Carlton end is this week?
I am getting a few tickets and want to avoid sitting in amongst too many or any of the drug cheats if possible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

We're the away team this week, so likely the Ponsford end (Gate 1).

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

TL/DR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
Nick Cox is going to be a star & is already playing well. I don't know what we'll do about him

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

Essendon* got him with pick 8 in the draft
No second guess as to how they acquired pick 8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:14 pm 
Garry Crane

keogh wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Nick Cox is going to be a star & is already playing well. I don't know what we'll do about him

Essendon** got him with pick 8 in the draft
No second guess as to how they acquired pick 8

Maybe do try that second guess. Pick 8 turned into pick 10 on draft night so Bombers actually got Reid with our pick.

Cox looks like a good player though.

Worth noting we also landed Durdin as part of the Saad trade (pick 48 and next years 3rd rounder went to the Swans for 31) so will be interesting to see how he progresses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:16 pm 
Garry Crane

Donstuie wrote:
We're the away team this week, so likely the Ponsford end (Gate 1).

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

I was referring to Reid
Big guy looked ok in round 5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
I was referring to Reid
Big guy looked ok in round 5

Yeah, that was pretty obvious when you replied to the quote about Cox :screwy:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 pm 
Bert Deacon

i wanted to keep p8 and draft nik cox / didnt want saad .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

What happened to Blue Sombrero?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

CFC8795 wrote:
What happened to Blue Sombrero?
Essendon* took him with pick 8

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next