Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

TheDenominator wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
We enter each game like we have already activated the medical sub and down to 1 man on the bench.
Its not that we are carrying injuries we are carrying players that don't contribute and don't offer anything to the side.
Levi is useless
Betts I love the bloke but time has come.
Newnes very ordinary
Plowman I bowed to BV better judgement but now I find I am with Agro
Cotrell plenty of effort but is a ball butcher
Gibbons gives us not much
Pino is only just a ruckman
If Ed is not tagging he should not be playing.

To many part contributors and luckily we have Weiters Walsh and Harry otherwise we would be worse than North

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hard to argue with this. However, the majority of the potential replacements are injured.
i.e. Marchbank/Parks for Plowman (will never happen coaches love him), Martin for Gibbons, Fisher for Betts, De Koning for Pitto, Newman for Newnes, JSOS for Casboult and for good measure add Charlie & Kemp who I have been told was ready to go round one this year

From yesterday's ressies you could bring in Setterfield (only if he plays on ball) and Dow, but ideally the latter will be allowed to build more confidence in the seconds for a while. Honey looks to have some traits as does Ramsay but my preference would be just continue to build them up in the twos rather than throw them in and risk burning their development. Owies I am not sold on and Williamson needs an extended run back there.
O'Brien is the other one but to me he only looks good in acres of space and with no pressure. This barely happens at senior level so I don't hold much hope there.

I think fair to say we don't yet have the depth to beat top sides

Ultimately, the best AFL teams build squads that can cover injuries (within reason) and buy into a culture and system. We can bang on about talent and skills, which are important, but it’s those intangibles within a club environment that makes a difference. It’s the reason why certain clubs have had enduring success, without the need to continually seek early draft picks. We have seen it as the solution when what we should have been seeking was instilling a winner mentality within the club and more focus on player and game development. Instead we kept hearing about those green shoots.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

WOW wrote:
Watching Melbourne last night was a revelation. They haven’t done anything yet but the team defence was outstanding. There was a system to it and everybody contributed. No weak links. Carlton are way off that.

The one encouraging thing from that is that the Dess were flaky rubbish last year. And their fans hated Goodwin.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:05 pm 
Craig Bradley

Still don’t understand why we are so bad when you have a team with Saad Weitering Jones Cripps H walsh and Williams out on the park yesterday
Lots of poor performances from others but if I was the coach I would be getting really nervous about my future
Playing worse than last year

He like us after about 2 years doesn’t know whether the team will turn up on the day or each quarter or part of quarters unless he fixes pretty quickly he will be get the chop
This malaise has been happening for at least 6-7 years and surely with squad we got should at the very least get side to have a read hot go
GWS on Friday night got beaten by a good side but were the youngest side on the park this season

Why can’t we get that bloody effort and commitment should be not negotiable

This roller coaster bull rush that we get every season where you can’t go to a game knowing your dude will give 100 percent is rubbish gone on for far too long

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:15 pm 
Bert Deacon

our Game plan /certain players don t run hard enough . just 1 example levi drops a mark near our goals within 2 kicks lions had the ball past wing ,i said to my mate tigers would have 3 players at drop of the ball.
NOTHING HAS CHANGED FROM PREVIOUS YEARS,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Gee Walsh is a good player ...... hope we don't break him

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:26 pm 
Robert Walls

frank dardew wrote:
Still don’t understand why we are so bad when you have a team with Saad Weitering Jones Cripps H walsh and Williams out on the park yesterday
Lots of poor performances from others but if I was the coach I would be getting really nervous about my future
Playing worse than last year

He like us after about 2 years doesn’t know whether the team will turn up on the day or each quarter or part of quarters unless he fixes pretty quickly he will be get the chop
This malaise has been happening for at least 6-7 years and surely with squad we got should at the very least get side to have a read hot go
GWS on Friday night got beaten by a good side but were the youngest side on the park this season

Why can’t we get that bloody effort and commitment should be not negotiable

This roller coaster bull rush that we get every season where you can’t go to a game knowing your dude will give 100 percent is rubbish gone on for far too long

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Brisbane was there for the taking half way through the last and choked - regardless of 2nd qtr it was there to be won. Just need to get the job done - some players do have concentration levels of an ant.

I haven't watched the replay but at the time it looked to me (on TV) that we played too wide with 10 min to go. Should have really put pressure on Bris to make mistakes by running the ball up the corridor, but no, too many times we played along the line. Seriously what did we have to lose

Just watched the replay.

Agree.

Not sure if Teague saw that. If he did, he shouldve sent out instruction half way in the last.

Missed opportunity.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

WOW wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
We enter each game like we have already activated the medical sub and down to 1 man on the bench.
Its not that we are carrying injuries we are carrying players that don't contribute and don't offer anything to the side.
Levi is useless
Betts I love the bloke but time has come.
Newnes very ordinary
Plowman I bowed to BV better judgement but now I find I am with Agro
Cotrell plenty of effort but is a ball butcher
Gibbons gives us not much
Pino is only just a ruckman
If Ed is not tagging he should not be playing.

To many part contributors and luckily we have Weiters Walsh and Harry otherwise we would be worse than North

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That is the crux of the problem

Too many players that don’t contribute much and won’t get much better

Unfortunately with some injuries and no real ready made replacements, we are gifting games to a player like Casboult. Should have been dropped sometime last year.

Watching Melbourne last night was a revelation. They haven’t done anything yet but the team defence was outstanding. There was a system to it and everybody contributed. No weak links. Carlton are way off that.

Both posts :thumbsup: Team defense seems to have disappeared. Too much open space when Lions came out of defense. They were given too much space.

Really disappointed in Newnes. Expected much more. Playing injured? Mot moving freely.
Saad was not going at express speed either.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Sum of all parts is not working with the Saad trade.

Yes, great that Saad is allowed a lot of free reign to run and create, looks bloody good doing it and gives us a huge x-factor. In doing so, we're playing Docherty in a minder role he's simply not cut out for.

I'd consider moving him to a defensive forward role and seeing what can be done with him there. I dont think he offers more in the same role Saad does but you can't have them in the same back 6.

Fascinating observation.

Players have to be played to their strengths. Not sure if they are now you mention it.

I don't know for sure. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
I’ve been trying to stay away from this conversation but it a shocking trade. Pick 8 for a player that runs like a headless chook and can’t defend deep in the backline. Really, really disappointing.

Losing Martin and Fisher has exposed our small forward depth and they aren’t pure smalls. We are using 3 midfielders as half forwards and 1 veteran, who unfortunately doesn’t have anything left in the tank. When the ball hits the ground in our forward line, there is no ground work. None, zilch and equals to no scoring options at ground level and easy exit. A major part of our game is based on this, isn’t?

No improvement in our centre clearances setups and forward transitions......wow. How some of these assistants kept their jobs over this preseason is mind numbing.

I just watched the game.

I was worried about Saad's corky.

I heard he wasn't right this week, but good to go half fit. It looked that way to me.

He's a beauty, when fit. He's shown that in tyhe first 3 rounds imo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
I still can't get over the second quarter. Yes we have away frees and in turn territory and momentum BUT for the whole quarter we had no numbers at the ball, the entire group just stopped trying.

Isn't it incumbent on the coach, ultimately to fix this continual problem relating to lack of consistent effort?

Dead right.

Outnumbered at every contest in the 2nd.

Strange stuff TBH.

Fitness? Concentration? Game Plan?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluehammer wrote:
I barrack more for an Essendon** loss than a Carlton win these days. One is more likely.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:33 pm 
formerly King Kenny

bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
I still can't get over the second quarter. Yes we have away frees and in turn territory and momentum BUT for the whole quarter we had no numbers at the ball, the entire group just stopped trying.

Isn't it incumbent on the coach, ultimately to fix this continual problem relating to lack of consistent effort?

Dead right.

Outnumbered at every contest in the 2nd.

Strange stuff TBH.

Fitness? Concentration? Game Plan?

Look at the past season and a bit under Teague.

It’s a pattern, just as consistent as our poor structure.

The Saints preseason game I had as a ‘friendly’ result, but looking back now, that’s how our season is playing out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Navy One wrote:
Gee Walsh is a good player ...... hope we don't break him

We broke cripps , we will break Walsh

It’s our way ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

I don’t think you could break Walsh but we do need like with H see them the value proposition of staying put

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
I’ve been trying to stay away from this conversation but it a shocking trade. Pick 8 for a player that runs like a headless chook and can’t defend deep in the backline. Really, really disappointing.

Losing Martin and Fisher has exposed our small forward depth and they aren’t pure smalls. We are using 3 midfielders as half forwards and 1 veteran, who unfortunately doesn’t have anything left in the tank. When the ball hits the ground in our forward line, there is no ground work. None, zilch and equals to no scoring options at ground level and easy exit. A major part of our game is based on this, isn’t?

No improvement in our centre clearances setups and forward transitions......wow. How some of these assistants kept their jobs over this preseason is mind numbing.

I just watched the game.

I was worried about Saad's corky.

I heard he wasn't right this week, but good to go half fit. It looked that way to me.

He's a beauty, when fit. He's shown that in tyhe first 3 rounds imo.

Ramadam too.

He isn't eating from Dawn to Dusk. Wouldn't be helpful.

I remember working in Saudi Arabia during Ramadam. Very strict place so no cheating going on

When the sun went down they went into a frenzy eating and smoking.
I had a fridge full of food and ate when I wanted.

The Saudi's were not jumping out of their skin during the day.

Just sayin'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Really disappointed in Newnes. Expected much more. Playing injured? Mot moving freely.
Saad was not going at express speed either.

Newnes played defence and he's shown before that he struggles in that role. It was probably worth the chance but with Williamson out of form and SPS being moved up the ground we were light on for options. I liked the move of Williams into the H/B rotation after half time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

redback wrote:

alright re, you're the best re :lol:

Better believe it. :razz: Listen quietly and learn. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
redback wrote:

alright re, you're the best re :lol:

Better believe it. :razz: Listen quietly and learn. :wink:

:yikes: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:03 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Didnt mind the game. Thought we played well in parts. The first, half the third and the last. The second was a smashing unfortunately.
They managed to get a few against the run of play throughout the night that were the difference.
Their forward line clearly better than ours. Cameron >>>Betts Hipwood >> Gov . Actually their 22 was better than ours. Not sure how we got so close with our 22. Our 22 clearly has 6+ blokes that are just making up the numbers.
Hopefully we can continue the way we played in the last... and hopefully at some point it clicks and we can take advantage of our momentum on the scoreboard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next