Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

bender wrote:
keogh wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
keogh wrote:
Why are we so average 6 years into a rebuild?
Thoughts

Leadership. The fish rots at the head.

At board level?

was waiting for this one keogh, your bait worked.

yes, at board level. also, every other bloody level.

what is the match committee doing? what is the director of football doing?

it aint just the board, buddy

The board are the constant over the whole journey
They need to go

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

Put a fork in us

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

jake_h03 wrote:
Put a fork in us

Most definitely!! A 3rd into a season with drug cheats , dogs and dees to come

We are definitely done

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:56 pm 
Bob Chitty

Pros:

Walsh, Weiters, Harry & Liam J

Cons:

Casboult 0 marks. Seriously, if Coaching panel continue to play this bloke when he's so horribly out of form, then we may as well give the keys back, and shut the whole thing down

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

lucablue wrote:
Pros:

Walsh, Weiters, Harry & Liam J

Cons:

Casboult 0 marks. Seriously, if Coaching panel continue to play this bloke when he's so horribly out of form, then we may as well give the keys back, and shut the whole thing down

Watching Carlton play with Walsh is like watching under 12 footy and thinking wow this kid is special with how he carries his team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

We enter each game like we have already activated the medical sub and down to 1 man on the bench.
Its not that we are carrying injuries we are carrying players that don't contribute and don't offer anything to the side.
Levi is useless
Betts I love the bloke but time has come.
Newnes very ordinary
Plowman I bowed to BV better judgement but now I find I am with Agro
Cotrell plenty of effort but is a ball butcher
Gibbons gives us not much
Pino is only just a ruckman
If Ed is not tagging he should not be playing.

To many part contributors and luckily we have Weiters Walsh and Harry otherwise we would be worse than North

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:15 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The board appoint the coaches and recruiters etc. They're ultimately responsible.

Carlton are still old stupid Carlton. Stuck in the old ways. Hand out plum jobs to ex Carlton people. Gift games to old players who shouldn't be playing any more, and carry players to 300.

Carlton make just about every mistake in the book.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:17 am 
Banned

We have played last years Prelim finalists back to back games. Port and Collingwood games are the stinkers so far this season.

Will play Melbourne and Bulldogs back to back as well are playing great synergy football. Not expecting much out of these games but do need to get a scalp soon like how we beat Geelong at Geelong last year.

Brisbane was there for the taking half way through the last and choked - regardless of 2nd qtr it was there to be won. Just need to get the job done - some players do have concentration levels of an ant.

Brisbane were pretty much at full list - could have done with Martin, Fisher and Jacks desperation in the last.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:48 am 
Bruce Doull

Walsh wrote:

Brisbane was there for the taking half way through the last and choked - regardless of 2nd qtr it was there to be won. Just need to get the job done - some players do have concentration levels of an ant.

I haven't watched the replay but at the time it looked to me (on TV) that we played too wide with 10 min to go. Should have really put pressure on Bris to make mistakes by running the ball up the corridor, but no, too many times we played along the line. Seriously what did we have to lose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:07 am 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
We enter each game like we have already activated the medical sub and down to 1 man on the bench.
Its not that we are carrying injuries we are carrying players that don't contribute and don't offer anything to the side.
Levi is useless
Newnes very ordinary

To many part contributors and luckily we have Weiters Walsh and Harry otherwise we would be worse than North

That is the crux of the problem

Too many players that don’t contribute much and won’t get much better

Unfortunately with some injuries and no real ready made replacements, we are gifting games to a player like Casboult. Should have been dropped sometime last year.

Watching Melbourne last night was a revelation. They haven’t done anything yet but the team defence was outstanding. There was a system to it and everybody contributed. No weak links. Carlton are way off that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:11 am 
Geoff Southby

WOW wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Levi is useless
Newnes very ordinary

That is the crux of the problem

Too many players that don’t contribute much and won’t get much better

Unfortunately with some injuries and no real ready made replacements, we are gifting games to a player like Casboult. Should have been dropped sometime last year.

Watching Melbourne last night was a revelation. They haven’t done anything yet but the team defence was outstanding. There was a system to it and everybody contributed. No weak links. Carlton are way off that.

WOW
I have been this sort of stuff for 15 years
It’s not boring to say it :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:19 am 
Garry Crane

Walsh wrote:

I think you’re doing ants a disservice there. I have ants in my car at the moment. I’ve sprayed them, squashed them, spoken harshly to them, and still they come. Persistent little buggers. Dogged and determined - they will not be denied.

I, for one, salute our ant overlords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:55 am 
Craig Bradley

Bob Murphy is spot on. Ive been desperately searching for signs of improvement in this club this year and see nothing. Thats the brand we have "soulless". We stand for nothing. Its not like our disposal is good or our pressure is srtong etc. Every other AFL club we are always beatable. That we'll fold at the slighest bit of pressure and then they know they'll kick 5 goals and its done.

Maybe the club could lobby to get all our games played in WA, so none of us are forced to watch any more of this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:21 am 
Robert Walls

Walsh wrote:
We have played last years Prelim finalists back to back games. Port and Collingwood games are the stinkers so far this season.

Will play Melbourne and Bulldogs back to back as well are playing great synergy football. Not expecting much out of these games but do need to get a scalp soon like how we beat Geelong at Geelong last year.

Brisbane were pretty much at full list - could have done with Martin, Fisher and Jacks desperation in the last.

And THIS is the silver bullet

Why have we created a culture where we talk about Jack's (Silvagni) desperation like it's the exception?

Jack is probably the 20-30th most skillful player on our list yet we are crying out for him!!!!!

Too many players know their spot is safe because Teague is too gutless to throw around the chess pieces. He "appears" too worried about the 'what and the 'how' of, FOR EXAMPLE, dropping Casboult or Plowman because the cupboard may be bare at VFL level.
While these things need to be considered, the real issue, the 'why' it needs to be sometimes done is overlooked. It creates a cancerous complacency amongst the group where we acknowledge an increase in effort (after a media battering that week) but overlook the fact that players seem to be playing within themselves

PS. I just used Casboult and Plowman as examples. My view could apply to about 10 players right now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:26 am 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:
Levi is useless
Newnes very ordinary

Haven't always agreed with you SB but I can't fault what you've written. I really want Gibbo to succeed; love his enthusiasm but am concerned that a VFL ball magnet has gone backwards this year (stagnated at least)
And...you can add Murphy and SPS to that list of perennial passengers...so you're right, we play with 2-3 players down most games

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:48 am 
Harry Vallence

Loser mentality. Too many old guys who know little but losing, old guys who should have been delisted last year (or earlier). We are playing some who should not be getting a game because of injuries, but the season is shot now, play the kids. Now is the time (again) to sort out our list. How many times have we been in positions to win games in recent years and choked? How many times do we get blown out of the water for periods in matches?

I see no point in sacking the coach, but high time there was a clean out of those around him. Hard to come to any other conclusion than our culture is largely to blame. When Lions recruited Hodge I wondered if he could have been a good fit for us to help turn our club around.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:59 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
How’s the rebuild going

Why don’t you tell us.

It looks like it hasn’t worked which is extremely disappointing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:06 am 
Ken Hands

We are the worst skilled side in the AFL , with the exception of Walsh . Does not matter what our game plan is , unless we address this problem we are going nowhere. The amount of missed kicks, handballs and shots at goal is nothing but appalling. With the amount of high draft picks we have had in recent years we have stuffed up big time . I only hope that the new draft picks we have coming through will change this , but until they are ready we are in for lots more pain . I have been a passionate blue bagger for 58 years and it really hurts and frustrates me to see my side be so bad for so many years . I will always be a blue bagger but shit we have to get our act together before we loose a generation of young supporters from which we may never recover .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:06 am 
Wayne Johnston

Crippa wrote:
That’s the first game in a long time I chose not to watch. I’m a beaten man who can’t take the disappointment/frustration anymore. So I haven’t seen the game. But does it feel worse inside our Carlton passion bubble than outside? We didn’t lose by 40 to the Suns like Sydney did today. We didn’t lose by 97 like WCE did today. We didn’t lose to the Lions by 57 like Essendon** did last week.

We lost by 18 to Brisbane. Is it really that bad?

Ps: I think not watching the game agrees with me :smile:

I think what you don’t see by not watching is that the players all gave it the best effort they could, yet we lost by 18 points.

I’m sure the swans and weagles can play better than what they did today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:09 am 
Harry Vallence

Sum of all parts is not working with the Saad trade.

Yes, great that Saad is allowed a lot of free reign to run and create, looks bloody good doing it and gives us a huge x-factor. In doing so, we're playing Docherty in a minder role he's simply not cut out for.

I'd consider moving him to a defensive forward role and seeing what can be done with him there. I dont think he offers more in the same role Saad does but you can't have them in the same back 6.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next