Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
1) Get ahead of the ledger. Once we do, that will be the year we get back into the finals.
We can do that with a big effort and complete game this week.

2) 80 tackles. My primary whiteboard goal for this week (and every week):
David Parkin used to have 60 tackles as his benchmark for a win back in the 90s. We are fitter and stronger now.

3) And, whilst I have been a hopeful believer, I now think Dow needs to go back to the VFL and earn his way back for a final fling at the big time later in the season. And to do this, above any other metric, he needs to be able to consistently get 25+ possessions playing in the middle. Once he learns how to get the ball, everything will flow from there - primarily his confidence, which will itself improve his disposal (his handballs have been good lately, albeit too few...).

4) Casboult and Setterfield on notice for McGovern and Stocker. They both need to get to more contests, and deliver effectively once there.
I agree that McGovern should have to prove himself more in the VFL - if nothing else, so he really feels hatred towards ever putting himself back in the position of having to do so again.... BUT, if I honestly think about it, I am pretty sure McGovern would perform better than Levi right at the moment. And I think that Stocker would not be any worse than Setterfield when he has an off day but Setterfield is probably better on a good day. But his off days are outnumbering his good days at this point...

Out: JSOS, Dow
In: Williams, Kennedy

“Kick straight” is another thing to put on the whiteboard :thumbsup:

Very true.
However, I feel that this too will improve with more tackling which will give us more space and constrict the effectiveness of the opposition, enabling us to get a higher proportion of shots at goal from closer and straighter. And that should improve accuracy, although I realise that for quite a few of the shots we missed, we really couldn't have been much closer or straighter :banghead: .
Did anyone read Ed Laongdon talking about WIlliams' kicking school? Kane Cornes also spoke about it today. I'm amazed that isn't priority no.1 for most coaches but apparently it is unique!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:22 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
muzza wrote:
I thought Setterfield was very good when he went in at centre bounces.

As soon as he went in he got two or three clearances immediately.

That's his position...not wing.

He is too good a player to mess with.

Just get him around the ball.

I agree. He had the same amount of centre clearances as Cripps from very limited opportunities. 1.
It shows how reliant we've become on Cripps. The previous week he had about 7 and we dominated. The other players cant step up and fill the void if we don't give them a chance.

You've summed up my frustrations in 17 words

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:25 pm 
Robert Walls

aboynamedsue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
1) Get ahead of the ledger. Once we do, that will be the year we get back into the finals.
We can do that with a big effort and complete game this week.

2) 80 tackles. My primary whiteboard goal for this week (and every week):
David Parkin used to have 60 tackles as his benchmark for a win back in the 90s. We are fitter and stronger now.

3) And, whilst I have been a hopeful believer, I now think Dow needs to go back to the VFL and earn his way back for a final fling at the big time later in the season. And to do this, above any other metric, he needs to be able to consistently get 25+ possessions playing in the middle. Once he learns how to get the ball, everything will flow from there - primarily his confidence, which will itself improve his disposal (his handballs have been good lately, albeit too few...).

4) Casboult and Setterfield on notice for McGovern and Stocker. They both need to get to more contests, and deliver effectively once there.
I agree that McGovern should have to prove himself more in the VFL - if nothing else, so he really feels hatred towards ever putting himself back in the position of having to do so again.... BUT, if I honestly think about it, I am pretty sure McGovern would perform better than Levi right at the moment. And I think that Stocker would not be any worse than Setterfield when he has an off day but Setterfield is probably better on a good day. But his off days are outnumbering his good days at this point...

Out: JSOS, Dow
In: Williams, Kennedy

“Kick straight” is another thing to put on the whiteboard :thumbsup:

And "psychotic intent from first bounce" for me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:36 pm 
Bert Deacon

this is the game where we need 70 hard tackles (port a very sore) and to run run ,can teague try something different than long bombs into f50

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

And smash the smug off Robbie Gray’s face

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:33 pm 
Bob Chitty

Need to show up with intensity and hit them hard early. As others have said, they’ll likely be a bit banged up after their match last week. Butters and Duursma ruled out. A few others wounded. There’s an opportunity here for us but we really need to bring the pressure and physicality from the start.

Williams (assuming fit) in for Dow.
Gov in for JSOS (assuming unfit).
Wouldn’t be against giving Kennedy a go over Setters who is struggling at the moment.

Big opportunity here to take a scalp if our mindset is right

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

david31 wrote:
Need to show up with intensity and hit them hard early. As others have said, they’ll likely be a bit banged up after their match last week. Butters and Duursma ruled out. A few others wounded. There’s an opportunity here for us but we really need to bring the pressure and physicality from the start.

Williams (assuming fit) in for Dow.
Gov in for JSOS (assuming unfit).
Wouldn’t be against giving Kennedy a go over Setters who is struggling at the moment.

Big opportunity here to take a scalp if our mindset is right

AND if this intensity doesn't reap scoreboard reward early on (like when Casboult missed the goal after receiving a beautiful Williams pass early on against Collingwood), we must keep at it as if we did hit the scoreboard. And keep doing this until the very end. Like the Saints did against the Eagles when they were behind despite huge intensity. So they lifted their intensity even more!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

Agree Port/Rich was a grueling match, but ours was pretty taxing also.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

Carlton by 194 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Carl by 195 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Carlton by minus 7 points.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

1 point would be good. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:05 am 
Ken Hunter

....need to tidy up the accountability through the middle on opponents counter attacks..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:22 am 
Rod Ashman

Does Jones or Weitering get Dixon?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:32 am 
Bruce Doull

Yes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:33 pm 
Serge Silvagni

bluehammer wrote:
Carl by 195 points

Dow kicks 6 goals and gets 30 possessions. Equally realistic. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Changed my inns and outs

Out JSOS , Dow, Levi - Setterfield to Sub
In Gov , Kennedy , Williams , Stocker it is about time we had a look at him

Eddie Betts to play back up Ruckman as he will acquit himself better than Levi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

we did see Ed having a crack at the ruck on the weekend, he lost, but hey, he was up for it

Ed, second ruck works for me :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

Got me stuffed why Harry doesn’t put his hand up for some ruck work inside forward 50.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

McDonald out for 3 months

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next