Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
Dow Setters dropped

common sense trumps hope

they are both badly out of form...there is such a thing.

They can come back ... through a show of good form in the vfl ... a block of good form

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:53 pm 
Bob Chitty

Reading between the lines Dow looks likely for the medical sub. All 3 other emergencies named in the VFL side for the Saturday afternoon game. Dow not named. Not sure this is great for his development as many of us have asked for him to go down a level and just hunt the ball as a genuine mid. Guess someone has to be medical sub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Williamson

well I hope he shows us why he should be selected.

Fingers crossed it works out ... this time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

david31 wrote:
Reading between the lines Dow looks likely for the medical sub. All 3 other emergencies named in the VFL side for the Saturday afternoon game. Dow not named. Not sure this is great for his development as many of us have asked for him to go down a level and just hunt the ball as a genuine mid. Guess someone has to be medical sub

Agree in your summation.

Not our problem.

Ball in Dows court .. its a long way back though, as injured players come back in the fold and players like Ramsay showing some form.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:23 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

david31 wrote:

Conversely coming on fresh like Kennedy got to might give him a chance to impact the game

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Just stoked that Parks is really comfortable in the carlton culture after 5 months on the list.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Don’t really have a 3rd tall for Marshall, parks would have been perfect.

Williamson to step up or it’s Plowman who is better on a small

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Kennedy, McGovern and Williams are good selections.
As someone else mentioned, selection integrity for the first time in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's actually a pretty good team given our injury list.

At 2-2 we are totally in the frame for the coveted 12-13 wins, so we have to select accordingly. The out of form Dow & Setters omitted for an opponent like Port is a no brainer

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

Very happy setterfield got dropped. He was abysmal last week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

I like the inclusions, but the midfield mix is still skewed towards the inside of the contest. Cripps, Curnow, Walsh, Williams & Kennedy all want to be at the centre clearances. I expect Cripps and Kennedy to rotate forward, but Curnow, Walsh & Williams will need to share some time outside the contest too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

cecil89 wrote:
I like the inclusions, but the midfield mix is still skewed towards the inside of the contest. Cripps, Curnow, Walsh, Williams & Kennedy all want to be at the centre clearances. I expect Cripps and Kennedy to rotate forward, but Curnow, Walsh & Williams will need to share some time outside the contest too.

Was more skewed that way with setters and Dow in, as they seem unable to play anywhere else.

Kennedy can go forward, and get involved in possession chains.

Cripps can go forward.

Williams can play outside as well as inside mid.

Ditto Walsh.

I still think we are working on the right combination of inside and outside mids, and their right roles and we have been closer to getting it right past couple of weeks.

Tomorrow will be a bigger test of that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

cecil89 wrote:

Williams has been good as a forward. No dramas there.
I'd expect Ed and Walsh to rotate between wing, bench and the centre square. They have the endurance to play that role well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:

The good thing about this group of "inside mids" is that Walsh and Williams can play outside well too.

Murphy playing high HF, Fogarty and Gibbons will have an outside role too I suspect.

I'm enjoying this evolution of our midfield mix, knowing the likes of Martin, Fisher and Carroll would be in that mix if not injured.

Haven't seen anything of Kemp at senior level but I hear he goes Ok too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Adam Chatfield wrote:
cecil89 wrote:

Was more skewed that way with setters and Dow in, as they seem unable to play anywhere else.

Kennedy can go forward, and get involved in possession chains.

Cripps can go forward.

Williams can play outside as well as inside mid.

Ditto Walsh.

I still think we are working on the right combination of inside and outside mids, and their right roles and we have been closer to getting it right past couple of weeks.

Tomorrow will be a bigger test of that.

The fact the MC have dropped midfielders Setterfield and Dow speaks volumes of minimal requirement to be included in that mix. The bar has been raised...finally.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:19 am 
formerly BlueRob

Setterfield is being played out of position. One bad game and he is out of the team ... thats not team selection integrity.
Also Cunningham named as an emergency. He has been injured and needs to come back and win his spot in the team. Even naming him as an emergency is not team selection integrity.
Stocker has been playing well in practice matches. He should at least be one of the 4 emergencies.

Dow needed to be dropped so a big tick for match committee for doing that. Kennedy deserved a shot as did McGovern (though I am not convinced he is in our best side).

Go Bluebaggers!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
Setterfield is being played out of position. One bad game and he is out of the team ... thats not team selection integrity.
Also Cunningham named as an emergency. He has been injured and needs to come back and win his spot in the team. Even naming him as an emergency is not team selection integrity.
Stocker has been playing well in practice matches. He should at least be one of the 4 emergencies.

Dow needed to be dropped so a big tick for match committee for doing that. Kennedy deserved a shot as did McGovern (though I am not convinced he is in our best side).

Go Bluebaggers!

I'm a Setterfield fan from his TAC days, and BBW, you do see things many others don't. I've learned to respect your posts since the Madhouse calls.

His round 1 game vs Tigers was very good. His running and support in defense gave us hope. He was on the wing that day too.

Have to be honest, his last 3 games, on the wing, have been on the downhill. Couldn't possibly pick him after last week's game, where imo he hit rock bottom.

I think you're making excuses for him. He seems to be in self preservation mode. Not putting his head over the ball. Even in ball ups, amongst the congestion he has not shown any of the traits of an inside mid, so I don't know how you think he's worthy of a spot in the middle.

IMO he needs to find form and confidence. He needs to get over the knee (in his head, imo) and get the hard nut and the tackles will return.

His fantastic tackling has disappeared. Its not one game. His time in the midfield, and I know its been minimal, but he was lost, or not the same player from last year.

The club made the right decision dropping him and Dow this week. He will be back, and I just hope he plays like he can, wherever he plays, wing or middle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:23 am 
formerly BlueRob

bondiblue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Go Bluebaggers!

I'm a Setterfield fan from his TAC days, and BBW, you do see things many others don't. I've learned to respect your posts since the Madhouse calls.

His round 1 game vs Tigers was very good. His running and support in defense gave us hope. He was on the wing that day too.

Have to be honest, his last 3 games, on the wing, have been on the downhill. Couldn't possibly pick him after last week's game, where imo he hit rock bottom.

I think you're making excuses for him. He seems to be in self preservation mode. Not putting his head over the ball. Even in ball ups, amongst the congestion he has not shown any of the traits of an inside mid, so I don't know how you think he's worthy of a spot in the middle.

IMO he needs to find form and confidence. He needs to get over the knee (in his head, imo) and get the hard nut and the tackles will return.

His fantastic tackling has disappeared. Its not one game. His time in the midfield, and I know its been minimal, but he was lost, or not the same player from last year.

The club made the right decision dropping him and Dow this week. He will be back, and I just hope he plays like he can, wherever he plays, wing or middle.

Lets agree to disagree on this one. I admit that his stats have been a bit down but I think thats because Setters is being played out of position.

Looking forward to tonights game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:26 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Sad to think how competitive we'd be with even Martin and Fisher thrown into this team.

Very fortunate to pick up ready made players in the off season

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

From looking at the reserves team selected to play this afternoon at 2pm, Dow will be 23rd man.

Would prefer someone with blistering speed to come on if and when needed, rather than Dow who is still looking for the elusive pill.

Good luck to him, and I hope he doesn't get a look...only because I don't want anymore injuries.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next