Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:33 pm 
Robert Walls

No mention of Plow in the injury report, so it might well be
OUT: Silvagni
IN: Williams.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

If Williams returns that's pretty quick from a calf. But I've got total faith in our rehab staff...

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

I have been optimistic about Dow’s potential across the journey but even I would be surprised if he keeps his spot this week.
Needs to go back to VFL and learn about leather poisoning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I didn't think the report was particularly bullish about Williams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
If Williams returns that's pretty quick from a calf. But I've got total faith in our rehab staff...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:48 am 
Rod Ashman

And just quietly, the loss to Collingwood looks really bad now.
Yes, they played their best match probably for the season after getting flogged for a terrible effort the week before but we really should have beaten them.
If we can beat Port and/or Brisbane, I’ll get past it. But what an opportunity gone missing to get ahead of the ledger!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:39 am 
Harry Vallence

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
McDonald out for 3 months
Wait.. what?

What did I miss?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:41 am 
Bob Chitty

17th Premiership wrote:
And just quietly, the loss to Collingwood looks really bad now.
Yes, they played their best match probably for the season after getting flogged for a terrible effort the week before but we really should have beaten them.
If we can beat Port and/or Brisbane, I’ll get past it. But what an opportunity gone missing to get ahead of the ledger!

I think that is our biggest hurdle .. sides have confidence against us and turn on their best because they have beaten us in the past .. they don't have any doubts about beating us etc ... I'm nervous about the hawks more than anyone because of this.

Port we seem to go okay against and with there outs it gives us a real chance on the mcg. Same for the lions.

Think we have a huge opportunity over the next few weeks to really set up our season. Get a few wins together against sides that will be in the 8 is critical too see our improvement from last year. If we fail (like we did last year at the end of the year) I have my doubts about if we have improved at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:49 pm 
Bob Chitty

Asp wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
Asp wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
We're a month in now, so I think you can start to judge players with a reasonable amount of data.

I'm not as set against Dow as some others but he's averaging 12.5 disposals across the first month, and statistically speaking, his best game was his first.
Setterfield is averaging 13.7 from three games, although that's skewed slightly by a very quiet game against Collingwood.

Every other player who mostly plays midfield is putting up better numbers in the opening month, so these two are the current 'weak links' in the midfield rotation.

From all reports the next three cabs off the rank for the midfield are Kennedy, Cunningham and Stocker.
Kennedy might make us a little slow in midfield (although against a midfield featuring Wines and Boak that might not be a huge issue).
Cunningham has pace, but doesn't really play full midfield minutes, so he's not a real replacement mid.
Stocker is a big chance.

Across the rest of the ground, you can sort-of point to moments in each game where most of the current best 22 did *something* to justify their spot (although in the case of Casboult the something is being able to ruck, and generally "working hard").

Of replacements or suspects?

However, I don't actually expect us to make four changes to a winning team, assuming JSos is out and Plowman ends up being sore. We rarely make that many changes.

In regards to Silvagni, the obvious options are McDonald, McGovern or going smaller with Cunningham. Given how tall Port play up forward, I'd be tempted by McDonald as a swingman.

If Plowman is out, I'd play McDonald for the same reasons. Port play tall up forward with Dixon, Ladhams / Marshall and Georgiades. We probably need another tall option down back. I'd also think about playing Casboult back on Dixon, but we rarely mix things up like that.

So if anyone seriously thinks that an average of 12.5 disposals over 4 games for a midfielder is OK, and one kick and 8 possessions for a midfielder against Gold Coast in a winning team is OK then they need to give me the name of their drug dealer. He must have some pretty good gear.
There are 6 players in the reserves that are better than spud Dow, but he will probably get picked again after his great one kick game on "potential", which he does not have an ounce of.

Good call.

Slightly off topic but I reckon Mark Williams is having an influence on the 4-0 Demons.

Mark Williams has always had a great reputation for teaching young players the basics of the game. Can be a prickly customer but a pity pity we didn't grab him when he was available. His father Fos coached 10 or so SANFL premierships from memory and his brother coached a few as well and Mark coached the Power's first premiership against Brisbane who were going for four in a row. If Teague was to get hit by a bus Williams and Paul Roos would be at the top of my list.

Of replacements or suspects?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

GMCbris wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
McDonald out for 3 months
Wait.. what?

What did I miss?

Accord to Russell on the CFC website bone stress fracture in the lower back.

Only at Carlton.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:27 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Ramsay in?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

Back stress fractures are becoming the norm ....... :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:30 pm 
Serge Silvagni

verbs wrote:
Ramsay in?

Why not - do it !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:48 pm 
Serge Silvagni

bluechampion wrote:

So you would keep one kick Dow at the expense of a good kid from the reserves ?????

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Surely we need to find another backup ruck in the mid season draft?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:50 am 
Robert Walls

Asp wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

So you would keep one kick Dow at the expense of a good kid from the reserves ?????

Leaving aside your deep appreciation for Dow, this is not MY desire, it's what I expect will happen. If you look further back onto the thread, you'll see some I've engaged in further discussion re: Dow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

I’m guessing McGovern and Williams in for JSOS and Dow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

Would it be a major surprise if Plowman missed? He looked in agony when he had the knee clash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
Would it be a major surprise if Plowman missed? He looked in agony when he had the knee clash

Maybe not and same for Eddie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

What was up with Eddie?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next