Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Asp wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Setterfield for Dow probably my only change

Anyone for Dow would be a good result. Need to get games into Stocker and stop wasting time on a spud who can't get a dozen possessions a game as a midfielder in a winning team. You could put Williamson on a wing and he would get more than 11 possessions and would use them much better than Dow.

Yeah Dow is a concern for me too. He's just not progressing enough for mine.
He was good in close, but 11 disposals with 70% game time when the ball is in our forward half. That's 5 kicks. They wre all good disposals too. Unlucky with a couple umpire calls too.

I don't think he will be ready for the big time this year. The game he did well in was the Effendruggies game but that was a praccy game with no focus on defense.
Needs to get more practice in the VFL, if there's a better replacement.

I don't know if you recall, but in the last few weeks I didn't see one poster who thought Willo was any use in the AFL. He hardly uses the left peg some posters are obsessed with. He was dropped for a reason.

Williamson had 5 possessions against Pies, 2 kicks 80% game time. He had 12 disposals in 81% game time vs Tigers. Amongst those stats are clangers too. Below standard. Below Dow's standard.

Williamson, I use to struggle to see what everyone was raving about, other than living in hope. Just to see a couple long passes? If we do. We need more than that from a HB or Wingman.

I prefer to keep Dow if Williamson is the alternative. I hope there's no reason to bring Williamson this year. There's better players in the waiting for mine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
Asp wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Setterfield for Dow probably my only change

Anyone for Dow would be a good result. Need to get games into Stocker and stop wasting time on a spud who can't get a dozen possessions a game as a midfielder in a winning team. You could put Williamson on a wing and he would get more than 11 possessions and would use them much better than Dow.

Only if he is allowed to run around onto his left foot. Otherwise gang tackled and holding the ball. Embarrassing it was in the first 2 games. Until he learns to use his right foot he stays in the magoos.

... and needs a better game sense too.... for AFL level.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Effes wrote:
Witts out for the year.

No Rowell or Day.

All other GC rucks injured.

This makes me think, should we play a tall side and play a high possession style game kicking to the talls?
Plus I'd really like to see Dow tagging Anderson, this could be a great match up and provide a lot of answers.

I'd like to see that, because leaving Dow to his own devices seems to be a waste.

He has to show something because players like Martin and Fisher will be back, and I'm sure the MC will want to see players like Stocker, Cuningham, to a lesser degree Kennedy, and then there's Philp, Honey and Durdin who are going to get a look in too this year. Setterfield will come in for Cottrell.

I'm not being hard on Dow, Have a guess whose spot the abovementioned will be eyeing, ditto the MC.

I'm afraid time is not on Dow's side to make the Fwd - Mid role his own in 2021.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jezzarules wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Effes wrote:
Witts out for the year.

No Rowell or Day.

This makes me think, should we play a tall side and play a high possession style game kicking to the talls?
And Dow tagging Anderson, I'd really be interested to see this match up.

The risk is we go in too slow.
I'd bring in Kennedy or Stocker or Setters for Levi.
Pitto won't be getting worked over.

What's the option if Pittonet does a hammy in the first 5 minutes?
Levi isn't setting the world on fire but if you take him out, you need top replace him with similar. Harry is good on the lead but he doesn't stand under the high ball and make a contest like Casboult. Levi to stay or McDonald to replace him IMHO.
If you want Stocker or Kennedy in, they should come in for Dow IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Quote:
What's the option if Pittonet does a hammy in the first 5 minutes?

Levi as sub

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
I’m also intrigued about giving Dow a tagging role, or at least a super-accountable role, on a prolific midfielder.
This could well teach him more about how to get to the ball more often and with more effect. Could be good...

:thumbsup:
Many good midfielders have been taught the craft tagging older better players.
A good test for him will be tagging a younger better player.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Effes wrote:
Witts out for the year.

No Rowell or Day.

Plus I'd really like to see Dow tagging Anderson, this could be a great match up and provide a lot of answers.

I'd like to see that, because leaving Dow to his own devices seems to be a waste.

He has to show something because players like Martin and Fisher will be back, and I'm sure the MC will want to see players like Stocker, Cuningham, to a lesser degree Kennedy, and then there's Philp, Honey and Durdin who are going to get a look in too this year. Setterfield will come in for Cottrell.

I'm not being hard on Dow, Have a guess whose spot the abovementioned will be eyeing, ditto the MC.

I'm afraid time is not on Dow's side to make the Fwd - Mid role his own in 2021.

Agree 100% with this.
It would be good to know what kind of a role the coaches are asking him to play.
Whatever it is, it seems less effective than having SPS running out of defence.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I would keep Dow in for a bit longer. I think he is trying too hard. Had a few bad fumbles in close with a hot pill. He almost needs a few free/soft possessions to get his confidence up. He has the elite dash and movement once he gets it, there is no doubt about that. I have heard he hangs with Cripps and Walsh at the club, I think if he can keep learning off these two, especially on the field, eventually things will turn for him. This weekend could be massive for him. If we can get on top of the Gold Coast early, maybe he will get some easy ball and that will be huge for him. It's a tough run after this weekend from memory, so he needs to cash in now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Effes wrote:
Witts out for the year.

No Rowell or Day.

Agree 100% with this.
It would be good to know what kind of a role the coaches are asking him to play.

I think this is a good point.
Is he being asked to mind a player at stoppages?
Or is he simply not as good as Cripps and Walsh at reading the drop of the ball and the mechanics in he centre square?
One thing he has shown this year is a hardness in close. He has taken some decent body blows in close and not squibbed nor gone to ground in a ball of pain.
He is trying and showing the hardness required. Just needs a touch of luck I reckon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Effes wrote:
Witts out for the year.

No Rowell or Day.

Agree 100% with this.

Or is he simply not as good as Cripps and Walsh at reading the drop of the ball and the mechanics in he centre square?
One thing he has shown this year is a hardness in close. He has taken some decent body blows in close and not squibbed nor gone to ground in a ball of pain.
He is trying and showing the hardness required. Just needs a touch of luck I reckon.

I see the same thing with him, he's hard at it, has great explosiveness and "usually" bullet like hands.
This is why I reckon he needs a run-with role for a few weeks, to build up confidence and learn the craft from better players.
The coaches should just tell him, follow this bloke and tackle, tackle, tackle and if you get the pill, don't do anything fancy, just try and hit a target. Preferably by hand and in close, but if you see a long option and you think you can hit them, go for it.
And then reiterate, tackle, tackle, tackle and do the one percenters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Is there room for taggers still?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:25 pm 
Robert Walls

Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Effes wrote:
Witts out for the year.

No Rowell or Day.

Agree 100% with this.

Yep!!!
And I reckon the coaches have noticed it as well
I don't think he'll be dropped
For mine:
OUT: Murphy Cas (Murphy sub)
IN: OMac, Stocker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Paddycripps wrote:

Yes there is and we have one of the best in Ed Curnow. Don't need another one, especially one who couldn't tackle his grandfather. Drop Dow - "touch of luck" ??? - try "touch of ball" - and bring in Setterfield and Stocker and move Levi to the bench or 23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/89935 ... Q4MzMwMAS2

Quote:
Come down to the Queensberry Hotel on Saturday night and enjoy the ultimate viewing experience as the Blues take on the Suns at Metricon Stadium from 7:25pm.

Meet current Blue Nic Newman as well as past players Alex Marcou and Greg Williams, and enjoy food and beverage specials including a pot and parma for just $20!

Good initiative by the club. There should have been more of this over the years

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:11 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

CK95 wrote:
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/899358//?spMailingID=6770904&spUserID=Mjg5NTEwNTgxNzUzS0&spJobID=1240483300&spReportId=MTI0MDQ4MzMwMAS2

Quote:
Come down to the Queensberry Hotel on Saturday night and enjoy the ultimate viewing experience as the Blues take on the Suns at Metricon Stadium from 7:25pm.

Meet current Blue Nic Newman as well as past players Alex Marcou and Greg Williams, and enjoy food and beverage specials including a pot and parma for just $20!

Sounds great! Is it walking distance from Carrara?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:14 pm 
Bert Deacon

verbs wrote:
CK95 wrote:
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/899358//?spMailingID=6770904&spUserID=Mjg5NTEwNTgxNzUzS0&spJobID=1240483300&spReportId=MTI0MDQ4MzMwMAS2

Quote:

Sounds great! Is it walking distance from Carrara?

Yes - if you started before round one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:55 pm 
Serge Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:
london blue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
After listening to Teague’s post game media conference, I very much doubt Betts will be dropped.

Assuming Williams and everyone else pulls up OK, we might have a rare “no change” lineup this week.

And listening again.....sounded like Dow won’t be dropped

Its interesting.

Like the cliche goes, "one week at a time", but maybe Teague is looking to the future. There's another 19 games to play in 2021.
With 8 more games before the bye, there's plenty of time for Teague to see Cuningham and Stocker if they keep pushing for selection, before Martin and Fisher are back from injury, and maybe Newman. So the team may have only one change against the GCS, with Setterfield for Cottrell.

Then after the bye we have the run home to the finals: 10 games. This is when we expect to see Charlie back in the forwardline, Marchbank, if he's fit and had a half dozen games under his belt. I'm sure Kemp and Carroll will be putting their hand up too. My man Honey played his first game on Saturday and kicked a couple. Then there's Durdin who could be anything.

I don't think Dow was that impressive yesterday. He got involved, and handballed whenever he could. Quick hands. But he showed none of that burst speed he is there for. I don't think this will be his year, but Teague may just give him the time needed to get there. I'm not holding my breath.

The season has just started for us. Belief vs GCS is going to be huge for us.

If you are holding your breath for Dow to come good you are like Houdini drowning upside down in that glass water tank. I can buy a better spud at Coles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:38 pm 
Serge Silvagni

17th Premiership wrote:
I think Murphy, Fogarty and Gibbons can and should all do stints through the midfield.
As well as SPS, and of course Williams sharing the prime mid roles with Cripps, Ed, Walsh and Dow.
Although Casboult is out of form I think he is required to enable Harry to do what he did. Casboult structurally. Eddie likewise required but more tactically.
I think we are more chance to beat them in the air than to run them off their feet.
Although, we’d better be prepared for a more slippery ball than we’re used to with the humidity up there...

You were doing great until "and Dow"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I wonder who might come in if Saad doesn't play? Maybe move Williams to half back and Setterfield on the ball. Cottrell remains on the wing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:

No. Not since the raft of rule changes to remove them from the game.

They can’t fight through blocks. They can’t even put an arm across these days.

It’s a pointless tactic.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next