Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

2021 was to be the year big talk 0-2 already and realistically have to now win 12 games out of 20 at the very least to play finals -won’t do it because not mentally tough enough and actions don’t match the words

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:30 pm 
Bob Chitty

Agreed Frank. Same as every other year - 0-2.
I don’t want to hear the club mention finals until we can find 22 blokes who are willing to crack in, pressure, tackle and do all the hard things for multiple weeks on the trot. Until then, forget about it, it’ll be the same as it always is - a few good moments and wins but ultimately achieve nothing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I want our line in the sand game.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:37 pm 
Trevor Keogh

I share your frustration Frank. I just don’t feel like we play with any edge at all. That “do what it takes” or “get it done” mentality. I feel like its a nice playing group that feels good about itself but doesn’t challenge itself enough. To be fair, we have played two pretty good sides but both of these were statement games and we found ourselves to be lacking. If the Giants can drop Coniglio, we can drop Murphy, Casboult, Williamsom who have offered nothing in two games. We need to lower the noise in the head of a defender like Liam Jones, as he looks like a scared rabbit every time the ball hits the deck or the heat is on. Too much being left to too few and not enough mongrel to take a stand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:54 am 
Harry Vallence

Lack of a winning culture and poor player development sums our predicament

I don’t think we are capable of taking a stand

The excuses for losses and word “rebuild” were bandied around too often over the last 7 years

Tell me a successful team that does that

We also get ahead of ourselves. The amount of Blues posters that thought we would win comfortably this week was laughable. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:54 am 
Stephen Silvagni

History shows that the overwhelming majority of teams that start the season 0-2 miss the finals. Odds are squarely against us. Looking at a fairly similar season tip last year I reckon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:03 am 
Banned

We need to win next four in a row 4-2 win loss is still ok.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:08 am 
Ken Hunter

forget finals, lets concentrate on tackling and blocking. You don't tackle hard, you don't block hard, play VFL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:11 am 
Craig Bradley

Yes Walsh agree we do need to win 4 in a row but query when did we do that last and will probably beat Freo as they are banged up but the week after up at the Gold Coast against Gold Coast they won’t turn up or turn up for the second half and Port at the G probably get up for that one but still lose too mentally fragile and accept defeat far too easily - no excuses we are not a young team anymore

Make a statement drop a few and get a few like Fogarty who want to scratch and fight

Everyone at the club shut the hell up until we start playing mature consistent football all the rest is empty rhetoric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:32 am 
Bruce Doull

frank dardew wrote:
Everyone at the club shut the hell up until we start playing mature consistent football all the rest is empty rhetoric

That's a pretty good idea actually...I understand the players have agreements & sponsorships & media requirements etc but i would really like the club to just put the brakes on players media street for a couple of weeks. And just concentrate on getting 2 wins.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:34 am 
Bruce Doull

Thought this thread was going to be about players constantly slipping over or losing their feet in the contest.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:38 am 
Ken Hunter

WOW wrote:
Lack of a winning culture and poor player development sums our predicament

I don’t think we are capable of taking a stand

The excuses for losses and word “rebuild” were bandied around too often over the last 7 years

Tell me a successful team that does that

We also get ahead of ourselves. The amount of Blues posters that thought we would win comfortably this week was laughable. Rinse and repeat.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ps. It's been 20 years of rebuilds and no.1 picks. Loser mentality and close enough is good enough.!!!! :oops: :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:06 am 
John James

frank dardew wrote:
Yes Walsh agree we do need to win 4 in a row but query when did we do that last and will probably beat Freo as they are banged up but the week after up at the Gold Coast against Gold Coast they won’t turn up or turn up for the second half and Port at the G probably get up for that one but still lose too mentally fragile and accept defeat far too easily - no excuses we are not a young team anymore

Make a statement drop a few and get a few like Fogarty who want to scratch and fight

Exactly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I am of the opinion we might never change - I have always thought that the tanking years were worse than the cap cheating years
At least cheating the cap we were trying to win - Tanking brought in a culture that is impossible to get rid of
We as supporters over rate the list in the off season so badly that after 2 rounds we are totally dejected
There is a reluctance to move players on that should be
We recruit injury prone players thinking we can cure them
We draft in fringe players expecting them to be gems
We make to many speculative draft selections going back to the Ohalpin days
We play younger players in position they are not ready for because the incumbents aren't good enough

Players who seem untouchable
Murphy - he is not a small forward - midfield or no where
SPS- good for nothing
Fisher - Flash in the pan - can't kick from 40 meters out
Jones- Lights are on no one home
Ed curnow- supposed to do a job yet who last night was he doing a job on
Levi - 1 in 5 -- 1 good game 4 shit games should have been moved on years ago
Williamson- Headless chook
Docherty - how does he even get a game - 2 knee reco's killed him dead
Setters - not a wingman - middle in and under or no where
Cripps - poor last year - poorer so far this year - lost weight last year to gain speed when game was contested footy - gained weight this year when game has opened up
Plowman - struggles most week for match up

these blokes are practically untouchable but they dish up tripe most weeks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:13 pm 
Garry Crane

fjanyc wrote:
I share your frustration Frank. I just don’t feel like we play with any edge at all. That “do what it takes” or “get it done” mentality. I feel like its a nice playing group that feels good about itself but doesn’t challenge itself enough. To be fair, we have played two pretty good sides but both of these were statement games and we found ourselves to be lacking. If the Giants can drop Coniglio, we can drop Murphy, Casboult, Williamsom who have offered nothing in two games. We need to lower the noise in the head of a defender like Liam Jones, as he looks like a scared rabbit every time the ball hits the deck or the heat is on. Too much being left to too few and not enough mongrel to take a stand.

100% agree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:35 pm 
Bob Chitty

Wojee wrote:
Thought this thread was going to be about players constantly slipping over or losing their feet in the contest.

Carry on.

Now that you mention it ...

WTF Harry?

Keep your feet or you are out of the contest. it's pretty simple.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

As duo before some blokes are untouchable
It must change. It hasn’t so to me it’s a deeper issue.

Last year the time I got most excited was when Cottrell kicked that winning goal
He took a courageous mark to have that shot and dropped a pudding a few minutes earlier
But he didn’t give up. And showed some mongrel and arrogance afterwards
Yes he didn’t have a great game but it was so refreshing to see
Guess what?
He gets dropped
Somes up the club’s cultural problems to me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:

Adams after half time and he did a good job. :?
Ed needs a role. He should have been on Adams from the first bounce. Instead Teague wants to play attacking football that is pretty to watch. Forget pretty. Give me wins.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

People are tough on Docherty and Cripps. Both played reasonable games last night. Okay, they were not superstars but we had far worse.

Plowman is not a superstar and never will be. Foot soldier he is. After a bad first quarter he got better.

Robbie Walls said years ago that you are only as good as your weakest 6. That is where our problem lies.

Levi
Williamson
Setters
Dow
SPS
Murphy
Newnes

I know its 7. Can't drop them all but at least 3 to make a statement. Levi should be the first for Oscar.

Or is it simply a lack of will and desire. Probably both.

I blame Barker.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Adams after half time and he did a good job. :?
Ed needs a role. He should have been on Adams from the first bounce. Instead Teague wants to play attacking football that is pretty to watch. Forget pretty. Give me wins.

Which goes to show the MC don't play their players where they are best suited and if they haven't got a role, and can't add value elsewhere, then don't pick them.

ADAMS DID A LOT OF DAMAGE IN THE FIRST QUARTER..oops capitals.

11 possessions 6 clearances...they are 3 goals up at quarter time and win by 4.

If Ed isn't doing a tagging role, and he can't tag all players: Dusty too fast, let alone a different weight division.

I hate the fact that we are still reliant on Ed. He's not quick enough to be creative and proactive, he's a warrior with no class; just a shut down player. I don't like what he generally does with the possessions he gets in the middle either. We have to move on from Ed, this year.

Having the VFL start a month after the AFL doesn't help.

Having different set of rules, effectively a different game in the VFL doesn't help either

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next