Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I like that mix without Cripps, at times, but you're on your own if you don't think there's no hope Cripps can change to make a fist of his role in the midfield.

Watch the game again. Might be hard to pick up on TV, but I think some of our best centre-bounce performances were when Cripps was not in there. Not saying that should be the tactic, just relaying what I saw with my own eyes at the ground.

I'm hearing you, and Surrey.

We did well without Cripps having to be in the centre square. That shows maturity for those in there without Crippa.
We also do well with him there at times too.

I think we have to look at the ruck and judge what help or hinderence he was/is.

Last week, we got smashed in the last quarter in the centre square when there was no Cripps for 4-5 of them in a row.

I think a ball up from a stoppage around the ground is different. No 6-6-6, no limitations of numbers around the ball up. That's where Crippa shines.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
Teddy we are tough on docherty and Cripps but both I doubt we’re happy with their games and this isn’t a young side they are leading so we expect more from it but also more from our leaders
Jones and Willo play like headless chooks in the backline who is captain of the backline it is docherty
The mids got smashed and lacked defensive effort last night who is captain of the midfield Cripps
Who is captain the senior players in the forward line Casboult and Murphy both very ordinary for 2 weeks
Acid must go on all these guys
When Fogarty who had played 15 games is showing everyone else how to scrape and scrap and be hard and tackle there is a systemic problem and leadership problem

You can't load the blame for jONES' BRAIN FADES, LIKE HITTING THE BALL BACK INTO THE CORRIDOR, or Williamson deciding to take every one ahead of him. Doch hasn't got the time to be directing those split second, individual moments.

I get your point about leadership, but Willo and Jones are weekly liabilities, and we (fans) are all finally on the same page about that and those 2 in particular....without having to bring the captains into that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

Interestingly Leppitsch on the radio suggests that Carlton are the worse pressure side in the AFL -TRUE
Leigh Matthews says cardinal rule for him is that the most aggressive team usually win (controlled aggression) when in any match in the last 10 years perhaps more when have we been the most aggresive team in that way

Everyone in the footy community is laughing at us again

STAND UP

Speaking to a number of Blues supporters this morning accept but not happy about Richmond loss but loss and the way we went about it against Collingwood completely UNACCEPTABLE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

frank dardew wrote:
Interestingly Leppitsch on the radio suggests that Carlton are the worse pressure side in the AFL -TRUE. Leigh Matthews says cardinal rule for him is that the most aggressive team usually win (controlled aggression) when in any match in the last 10 years perhaps more when have we been the most aggressive team in that way.

Pretty damning, isn't it? I know Bolton got sacked cause we were playing ugly, losing footy. And I can understand that Teague wanted us playing prettier footy. But he's not going to last any longer than Bolton, if he can't get the team to play in a way that will consistently win. We've traded in players because we think we're ready to compete. So he sure better get the players competing. Or we'll have to start again with a new coach.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

Stef the problem for him is also that everyone is suggesting we have enough talent even Leppitsch with his comments suggests that too so unless he gets this side to stand up and play winning football he will quickly become chopped liver
Can’t bring in Martin Williams and Saad and to a lesser extent Newnes in the last 2 years and have previously all those early draft picks who should also be developing and have another poor season

Plus even if the best Freo if they lose the week after to GC as we have regularly fond over the last : years ie not turn up then he will be in real trouble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

surely we can at least build sides who know and want to tackle. Forget everything else, make that the standard, tackle, tackle and tackle again. Until we have that we'll always be mid to low range no matter the talent.

Murph cannot tackle - goodbye.
Dow doesn't seem to want to tackle goodbye

and so on through the whole side. @#$%&! talent, give me a competitive hunger.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
Interestingly Leppitsch on the radio suggests that Carlton are the worse pressure side in the AFL -TRUE
Leigh Matthews says cardinal rule for him is that the most aggressive team usually win (controlled aggression) when in any match in the last 10 years perhaps more when have we been the most aggresive team in that way

STAND UP

Speaking to a number of Blues supporters this morning accept but not happy about Richmond loss but loss and the way we went about it against Collingwood completely UNACCEPTABLE

Plus One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
surely we can at least build sides who know and want to tackle. Forget everything else, make that the standard, tackle, tackle and tackle again. Until we have that we'll always be mid to low range no matter the talent.

Tackle Tackle Tackle like Crows did, Swans did and are doing again today, like their lives depend on it.

Our guys lives or livelihood, like Murphy and Dow, don't depend on it. So why carry them.

Non negotiable standards, if Teague has standards moreso than the much vaunted, favourites.

...and FFS, can Russell during his 4 week training blocks with players put some muscle on our guys?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:16 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Tackle Tackle Tackle like Crows did, Swans did and are doing again today, like their lives depend on it.

Our guys lives or livelihood, like Murphy and Dow, don't depend on it. So why carry them.

Non negotiable standards, if Teague has standards moreso than the much vaunted, favourites.

...and FFS, can Russell during his 4 week training blocks with players put some muscle on our guys?

I will keep repeating this until those fwits listen:
Players need to bee-line the player with the ball and dont stop until they have put their arms around the opponent. The laws of physics will tell you that not only are you tackling with your arms, your forward momentum as you run at them will help with hurting them/putting them off balance/incorrect disposal/pressuring etc etc etc

All we flowering do is hesitate or corral...it's a losing strategy. Wake up coaches FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richmond players around a contest don't just stand there...the moment they see an opposition handball, they identify the player to receive and have already started bee-lining that player while the ball is in transit.
Wake up coaches FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A suburban player can be taught that...pressure creates uncertainty/errors which then creates the opportunities

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

frank dardew wrote:

STAND UP

Spot on and well put.

To add to this watching the Amazon doco, there was a tiny little snippet of Adam Simpson preparing his players before they played us and he said something like “it’s one thing being able to win contests, it’s another to win a fight. They (Carlton) aren’t prepared to win a fight”

Just another example of how soft / mentally weak the other clubs think we are. That’s the game we got out to a 25-odd point lead and then rolled over for West Coast.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

Even though he has a point, I hope we use that snippet as motivation next time we play them. But we're too nice to do that...

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree CK but I think they are immune from these things as deep down they know it is true

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

Murphy and curnow had to retire or be dropped , or this year is another wasted year

They are part of that losing culture .. the sooner they go

We need to get hungry players in the side before we burn out walsh like we have cripps

Our toughest players against the pies was gibbons ( vfl desperate for a chance at this level ) , Fogarty ( from the cats and has been starving for a chance to play ) , saad for has fought tooth and nail to get on a afl list

As for all our first round draft picks all sort as butter and i apologise to butter for the insult !!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:38 am 
Harry Vallence

As has been mentioned, Carlton lacks a hunger for the contest, which ultimately affects your win/loss ratio. This is so obvious and other teams use this to their advantage.

A non negotiable in football is hardness at the ball. Particularly when the ball is in dispute or the other team has the ball. We have struggled to develop this mindset for an extended period. Losing consistently only reinforces such an outcome. The cycle has yet to be broken.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 am 
Bob Chitty

CK95 wrote:
Even though he has a point, I hope we use that snippet as motivation next time we play them. But we're too nice to do that...

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

I had the same thought.
When opposition players and coaches and media members are calling the club soft, wouldn’t you want to do something about it? Use it as motivation to prove them wrong.
But we never do. All we do is prove them right.
An indictment on the culture and standards within the 4 walls of the club. No mongrel or win at all costs mentality.
The majority of our failings are between the ears. We play soft footy - that’s a failure of mindset. We don’t pressure - again failure of mindset. We don’t tackle - largely a failure of mindset as we are not a bunch of undeveloped 18-21 years who can’t stick tackles consistently.
I watched Sydney and GC yesterday who are both younger than us but have been drilled to play tough footy and will end up being rewarded for it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The title of this thread should actually be changed to

“When will this CLUB stand up???????

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:57 am 
Ken Hunter

agree Agro,

some of the sides winning currently have players I have never heard of tackling with a ferocity we haven't seen from Carlton for a while now. While we drift...

we are the driftwood blues

we are the old soggy driftwood blues....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:06 am 
John James

WOW wrote:
As has been mentioned, Carlton lacks a hunger for the contest, which ultimately affects your win/loss ratio. This is so obvious and other teams use this to their advantage.

A non negotiable in football is hardness at the ball. Particularly when the ball is in dispute or the other team has the ball. We have struggled to develop this mindset for an extended period. Losing consistently only reinforces such an outcome. The cycle has yet to be broken.

And that must start next weekend. Boys, bring your mouthguards to training this week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:02 pm 
Robert Walls

Beijing Blue wrote:
WOW wrote:

And that must start next weekend. Boys, bring your mouthguards to training this week.

More like sugar sprinkled pacifiers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
I am of the opinion we might never change - I have always thought that the tanking years were worse than the cap cheating years
At least cheating the cap we were trying to win - Tanking brought in a culture that is impossible to get rid of
We as supporters over rate the list in the off season so badly that after 2 rounds we are totally dejected
There is a reluctance to move players on that should be
We recruit injury prone players thinking we can cure them
We draft in fringe players expecting them to be gems
We make to many speculative draft selections going back to the Ohalpin days
We play younger players in position they are not ready for because the incumbents aren't good enough

Players who seem untouchable
Murphy - he is not a small forward - midfield or no where
SPS- good for nothing
Fisher - Flash in the pan - can't kick from 40 meters out
Jones- Lights are on no one home
Ed curnow- supposed to do a job yet who last night was he doing a job on
Levi - 1 in 5 -- 1 good game 4 shit games should have been moved on years ago
Williamson- Headless chook
Docherty - how does he even get a game - 2 knee reco's killed him dead
Setters - not a wingman - middle in and under or no where
Cripps - poor last year - poorer so far this year - lost weight last year to gain speed when game was contested footy - gained weight this year when game has opened up
Plowman - struggles most week for match up

these blokes are practically untouchable but they dish up tripe most weeks

I don't agree with all those player assessments but the rest is spot on. I've responded angrily to posters who even 2 years ago were hoping we could "win" another #1 pick. @#$%&! that shit, I don't care if THAT Newnes kick had been in a R22 spoon clash where the #1 pick is Dusty Martin and #2 is Jono o'Rourke, if you aren't willing to give up your left nut to see it sail through the sticks then you can @#$%&! off. Tanking for picks is a disgrace and everyone associated with it should be flushed out of the club.

And "hell yeah" to the constant recruitment of players coming off serious knee and ankle injuries, or a history of chronic muscle issues. Already looks like Kemp is another to add to the pile of boneheaded decisions by cauliflower who always think they're the smartest prick in the room.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next