Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Ed curnow- supposed to do a job yet who last night was he doing a job on

Adams after half time and he did a good job. :?
Ed needs a role. He should have been on Adams from the first bounce. Instead Teague wants to play attacking football that is pretty to watch. Forget pretty. Give me wins.

or you put players in the midfield that can be accountable and defend as one - ie. Walsh/SpS/Setterfield, Fogarty/Martin/Gibbons & Williams/Fisher as a starting midfield. Stay accountable, win the ball or you will be replaced.

Get the hint captain? Sorry but how many times do they just run away from him while he looks in despair.......if he doesn't win it, he gives up. Every team has worked it out - block him away from the ball and then run off him.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Fogarty was our second highest possession winner at half time. He should have got decent midfield time. He's tough and clean with the ball.
We're too inflexible and too often looking for the attacking game style. All that provides is a lack of accountability. Play the people who provide a contest with a willingness to take an accountable mindset when the ball is in dispute. Instead we select on reputation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
People are tough on Docherty and Cripps. Both played reasonable games last night. Okay, they were not superstars but we had far worse.

Plowman is not a superstar and never will be. Foot soldier he is. After a bad first quarter he got better.

Robbie Walls said years ago that you are only as good as your weakest 6. That is where our problem lies.

Levi
Williamson
Setters
Dow
SPS
Murphy
Newnes

I know its 7. Can't drop them all but at least 3 to make a statement. Levi should be the first for Oscar.

Or is it simply a lack of will and desire. Probably both.

I blame Barker.

Having watched the game again, I agree with you about Doch and Cripps.

The only criticism I had of Cripps is his leadership in the centre square, or lack of.
He has to fight for a contested ball, because he's left in the wake of the fleet footed opponent on the spread/break.
He needs to assert himself on the context.
He should've known Grundy was going to monster Pitto and set up accordingly.

A bit tough on Newnes. He did have 16 disposals.
Despite sticking no tackles, he fought and scragged and shepherded and did all the tough stuff the ball watchers avoided...yes your bottom 6.
Out of interest, if Ed and Setters were wings in the first half, what position was Newnes playing? I couldn't work it out. Some kind of role.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Ed needs a role. He should have been on Adams from the first bounce. Instead Teague wants to play attacking football that is pretty to watch. Forget pretty. Give me wins.

or you put players in the midfield that can be accountable and defend as one - ie. Walsh/SpS/Setterfield, Fogarty/Martin/Gibbons & Williams/Fisher as a starting midfield. Stay accountable, win the ball or you will be replaced.

Get the hint captain? Sorry but how many times do they just run away from him while he looks in despair.......if he doesn't win it, he gives up. Every team has worked it out - block him away from the ball and then run off him.....

Cripps has to work his way through that.

He gives up because there's no use chasing with his pace.

His job is to contest and try and win the contested ball. We want him there.

Tough for mids when Grundy gives his mids an armchair ride. If anything Cripps may have thought Pitto would do a better job than he did. He should have worked out the situation much earlier and found a way to counter it with his partners in the midfield

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:13 pm 
Bob Chitty

Time to stop picking on reputation and actually pick 22 players, or as close to, that can and will do the hard things (tackle, chase, body on the line, attack the ball and man) for four quarters each week. Show the players footage of how Fogarty attacks the ball and man. Until we actually put together a team with a hard edge and some mongrel we’ll be up against. Other teams see us as soft. As Adam Simpson said in the Amazon documentary, “Carlton may be up for the fight, but they’re not up for the war”. One AFL captain voted us as a finals team. The same votes as Essendon* and Hawthorn who are tracking backwards and less votes than GC and Freo. Says a bit about how we’re viewed from the outside. Not tough enough. There’s a chance for Teague (who was tough as nails as a player) to make a statement this weekend on what is required when you play. Will he take the opportunity? Hope so

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

I like that mix without Cripps, at times, but you're on your own if you don't think there's no hope Cripps can change to make a fist of his role in the midfield.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:28 pm 
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

I like that mix without Cripps, at times, but you're on your own if you don't think there's no hope Cripps can change to make a fist of his role in the midfield.

He's losing me very quickly with his 'half attempts' to chase and harass. Sorry, but I don't care who the f@&k you are - pressure and accountability is part of footy these days and you need it to be successful.
I like McKay - really like him but he's game against Richmond and more so Collingwood was bordering on taking the p1ss. He's a big fella and gets pushed off the ball and on to the ground too easily. Stand up and fight for your ground ffs.
Jones - don't get me started on brain fades........I won't keep going but it's sad that a Fogarty or a Fisher or a Martin or a Walsh or even a SpS show more aggression and fight then some of our more bigger and even mature members of the team.
Enough with the holding of hands. Stand and deliver time is now - else F off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Adams was that buggered at half time from getting the ball you or I could have tagged him after half time
He still managed 10 after half time with the tag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

Teddy we are tough on docherty and Cripps but both I doubt we’re happy with their games and this isn’t a young side they are leading so we expect more from it but also more from our leaders
Jones and Willo play like headless chooks in the backline who is captain of the backline it is docherty
The mids got smashed and lacked defensive effort last night who is captain of the midfield Cripps
Who is captain the senior players in the forward line Casboult and Murphy both very ordinary for 2 weeks
Acid must go on all these guys
When Fogarty who had played 15 games is showing everyone else how to scrape and scrap and be hard and tackle there is a systemic problem and leadership problem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:09 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

I have grave concerns about our coaching (structures, direction on field and caliber of personnel off field), our high performance (injury management and strength/conditioning) and Charlie’s knee, in no particular order.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:11 pm 
John Nicholls

bondiblue wrote:

Watch the game again. Might be hard to pick up on TV, but I think some of our best centre-bounce performances were when Cripps was not in there. Not saying that should be the tactic, just relaying what I saw with my own eyes at the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Watch the game again. Might be hard to pick up on TV, but I think some of our best centre-bounce performances were when Cripps was not in there. Not saying that should be the tactic, just relaying what I saw with my own eyes at the ground.
Martin Williams and Dow won 3 centre clearance in a row from memory

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
People are tough on Docherty and Cripps. Both played reasonable games last night. Okay, they were not superstars but we had far worse.

Plowman is not a superstar and never will be. Foot soldier he is. After a bad first quarter he got better.

Robbie Walls said years ago that you are only as good as your weakest 6. That is where our problem lies.

Levi
Williamson
Setters
Dow
SPS
Murphy
Newnes

I know its 7. Can't drop them all but at least 3 to make a statement. Levi should be the first for Oscar.

Or is it simply a lack of will and desire. Probably both.

I blame Barker.

Having watched the game again, I agree with you about Doch and Cripps.

The only criticism I had of Cripps is his leadership in the centre square, or lack of.
He has to fight for a contested ball, because he's left in the wake of the fleet footed opponent on the spread/break.
He needs to assert himself on the context.
He should've known Grundy was going to monster Pitto and set up accordingly.

A bit tough on Newnes. He did have 16 disposals.
Despite sticking no tackles, he fought and scragged and shepherded and did all the tough stuff the ball watchers avoided...yes your bottom 6.
Out of interest, if Ed and Setters were wings in the first half, what position was Newnes playing? I couldn't work it out. Some kind of role.

Ed and setters on our wings is just stupid really.

They are either playing inside mid or they aren’t playing at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

JK wrote:
I have grave concerns about our coaching (structures, direction on field and caliber of personnel off field), our high performance (injury management and strength/conditioning) and Charlie’s knee, in no particular order.
OK, who turned the time machine on?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

Please put a question mark at the end of the title of this thread :smoking:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:36 pm 
Robert Walls

kingkerna wrote:
I want our line in the sand game.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Whooooaaaa...not so fast

How about a line in the sand team-selections first?
Out: Murphy, Cas, Willo Plow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:38 pm 
Robert Walls

dannyboy wrote:
forget finals, lets concentrate on tackling and blocking. You don't tackle hard, you don't block hard, play VFL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:41 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
Fogarty was our second highest possession winner at half time. He should have got decent midfield time. He's tough and clean with the ball.
We're too inflexible and too often looking for the attacking game style. All that provides is a lack of accountability. Play the people who provide a contest with a willingness to take an accountable mindset when the ball is in dispute. Instead we select on reputation.

Spot on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

CFC8795 wrote:
Please put a question mark at the end of the title of this thread :smoking:

:lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next