Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
Quote:
The Lions had already activated the injury substitute after Darcy Gardiner’s injury, and in the club’s statement general manager of football Danny Daly said Neale’s efforts in playing out the game despite being injured were a source of inspiration to the entire club.

“What Lachie did on the weekend for our football club was huge,” Daly said.

“That was an important game - we had already been forced to make an injury substitution and he stayed out there and battled on under duress and played a huge part in helping us get the win

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gia ... 57m6j.html

Why do players become so brittle once they don the navy blue lately?

Are you saying Cripps is brittle?

Lachie is their leader and Cripps is ours.

Its just bad luck.
Accidents happen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sellars just said "everyone is on notice at Carlton" on 360 tonight.

And so they should.

Wheel chair to get Murphy to 300

Levi selections smacks of desperation.

Eddie taking the spot of a kid is wrong.

Murphy and Eddie are there for marketing no matter how many positives we try to find in their games
Levi selection from round 1 was wrong, just like Govs 2 years ago. Not fit for AFL.

Pressure on to play kids, and its going to happen.

What do they stand for was the question. Sellers said "no one knows"

I'm glad everyone is on notice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

Great article by Philip Coorey in the AFR today summing up how a lot of us are feeling about Carlton at the moment
Can’t post it because of firewall but have a look at it

It describes exactly where the fan base is and why it is where it is re the teams performance
Someone please provide link it is worth the read

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

frank dardew wrote:
Great article by Philip Coorey in the AFR today summing up how a lot of us are feeling about Carlton at the moment
Can’t post it because of firewall but have a look at it

It describes exactly where the fan base is and why it is where it is re the teams performance
Someone please provide link it is worth the read

Best I can do Frank. Cut and paste .... It's protected by a Paywall

A Carlton fan’s lament In politics, the mob usually gets it right when it comes to elections. In footy, the fans are no less intuitive, especially the passionate ones.
By Phillip Coorey Political editor

Professional sport and politics are very similar. Both are, in essence, a competition where winning is everything and all else is a distant second. Not that you can win every time, nor please all the people all the time, be they voters or fans. Success in politics requires a leader to be of the people but not like them. To a certain degree, sport is no different. Clubs and their hierarchies need to be in sync with their fans. But it is here that a worrying disconnect has developed between the Carlton Football Club and its 80,000 members and thousands more followers.

In politics, the mob usually gets it right when it comes to elections. In footy, the fans are no less intuitive, especially the passionate ones.

In football, as in politics, winning is everything What incenses them is being told otherwise by their club’s public relations unit, which writes and publishes match reports which cherry-pick the highlights, gloss over the failings and ultimately bear little resemblance to what they just witnessed with their own eyes. When fans are angry and hurting, they want to know their club is feeling the same way, not see their coach regurgitating talking points at a news conference and endlessly dwelling on the positives. They don’t expect perfection and, of course, optimism is important, but so is candour. And passion.

Studying the club’s Facebook page, it is clear the overwhelming majority of Carlton fans feel this way. The disappointment was evident immediately after yet another “gallant defeat” at the hands of Richmond in round one this season. It wasn’t so much that Carlton has started losing again, but that there has been no discernible step change since last year. Anyone who watched the preseason match against St Kilda, another gallant defeat, could see that. There is next to no tolerance among the fan base for anything but success. The anger is visceral. Carlton has been in strife for the best part of two decades. It was getting back on its feet under coach Brett Ratten, making the finals from 2009 until 2011, until he was abrasive and polarising manner didn’t work at Carlton. Even from the outside we could all see that.

The club made the finals in 2013 but only after Essendon* was disqualified over the supplements scandal. Platitudes and gobbledegook Around this time the now-dreaded term “rebuild” began to rear its head and in 2015, Malthouse was given his marching orders by Kernahan’s successor, Mark LoGiudice. In came the hapless Brendon Bolton, a lovely fellow with a good football brain, but one of the new breed of theorists. Bolton spoke in platitudes and gobbledegook. Green shoots became his hallmark. He spent one summer in Boston doing a leadership course and after that, became unintelligible. After one particular flogging, he told the news conference the players had “owned their careers tonight”.

To this day, I still have no idea what that meant.

The Carlton hierarchy was so invested in Bolton it refused to acknowledge what soon became apparent to the fans. This bloke wasn’t going to work either. But many stayed patient and most remained loyal. It was, after all, a rebuild, and success was around the corner. Others were less forgiving but to the detriment of the club, it persisted with Bolton until his tenure was completely untenable. Who can forget that savaging at the hands of GWS when they outscored us in the final quarter despite having only 16 fit players?
It was not until 2019 and four wasted years that Bolton was let go, with just 16 wins from 77 games to his name, including three from the most recent 33 matches. Then came David Teague, a former player of solid standing, with a good football brain and who refreshingly spoke in plain English and coached an old style of players backing themselves and going up the guts. Thankfully, the club finally acknowledged the rebuild wasn’t going so well and changed tack. After seven years of telling us one thing, it decided to fast-track the rebuild by buying a few players to blend experience with youth. After securing Adam Saad and Zac Williams, this was supposed to be the year.

There would be no more excuses, no more green shoots, no more rebuilding, no more gallant bloody losses or brave Blues. It was time to make the finals, legitimately, for the first time in a decade during which we have churned through two presidents, three CEOs, four coaches, a membership boom, an eradicated debt but, most importantly, scant progress on the field.

But six rounds into season 2021 and it’s a feeling of, here we are again. Despite poaching the best fitness guru, we started the season with a third of the team’s first 18 on the injury list, and were told to accept this as normal. Players lured by enormous salaries to kick goals couldn’t hit a barn wall. Other teams which slumped long after us have rebuilt long before us. Brisbane is Exhibit A.

Our coach has lost his mojo and speaks in spin, repeating the same phrases after each loss as if he is a hostage being made to read a statement. Not feared or disliked, just pitied Teague had nothing like the goodwill or patience extended to his predecessors who got away for years with saying winning wasn’t important. He had a very short runway on which to operate. It may be unfair to demand his scalp but many are. Not so long ago, it was a young Patrick Cripps being exhorted to “step up” and help its first in 1966, or the Bulldogs, who had to wait half a century between drinks, But now, that’s how it feels. We are neither feared nor disliked. Just pitied.

Carlton legend Mark McClure spoke recently of two decades of being served up rubbish. We have had more wooden spoons – five – than any other club this century, but more significant is the cultural dislocation. A once-feared juggernaut, Carlton’s culture has become one of aspiring to mediocrity.

We don’t know how to win, just garner a heroic headline. As Bob Hawke once said of Kim Beazley, who he didn’t think was tough enough to beat John Howard: “He hasn’t got enough shit in him”.

That’s what years of repeated heavy defeats and a patronising football media instils in a club, all helped by a generation that has no living memory of the Carlton of old.
Of the 43 senior players on the current list, just under a third was born when Carlton last won a flag in 1995.
Marc Murphy and Eddie Betts were eight, Levi Casboult and Ed Curnow were about five and due to start school. Liam Jones was a year behind, aged four.
The rest – Sam Docherty, Cripps, Michael Gibbons, Adam Saad, Jack Martin, Jack Newnes, Nic Newman, Lachie Plowman and Mitch McGovern – were aged two or less and still in nappies.
Our corporate memory, built over more than 150 years, has vanished.
Ultimately, sport is like politics in that there are no problems that winning won’t fix.
But an awful realisation has dawned that all the talk, promises and planning of years past has amounted to nothing and we have to drop senior players, look for another coach and start again. We will be rebuilding longer than Beirut.
The mood was articulated on Facebook by a fan who lamented that all this club gave him was “spin and misery”.
Another, named Ross Cattle, wrote after the loss to Brisbane:
“I spend six days in agony and tell myself don’t watch Carlton, game day comes and I can’t control myself, I have to watch and I actually stupidly convince myself this game will be our turning point, only to be devastated (by) another loss, and a grand final appearance so far away.

“Maybe it is something I never might see in my life, when we do win it’s meaningless in terms of finals and what we all dream of a grand final, being a Carlton supporter feels like you’re a loser but 15 minutes before quarter time you actually believe something different.
“Is there a worse team than Carlton?”
The answer to that last proposition is “yes”. And plenty.
Because as much as this club breaks our hearts, we love it and that’s why we get so angry at times and lash out.
We’ll always love the club, even if it kills us.
Because its more important than politics.
It’s footy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

Thanks Navy -well worth the read and encapsulates in my view the prevailing view of our members and supporters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

brilliant article

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

Spot on!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

It is a brilliant article - but our Board are in denial - and Mark Logudice’s eagerness for a smooth handover to someone who’s been on the Board for 8 years (no matter what his professional credentials are - and I acknowledge that they are impressive) - is not the way to go to get some meaningful change in our current malaise of mediocrity.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
Thanks Navy -well worth the read and encapsulates in my view the prevailing view of our members and supporters

I thought of your post Frank when reading that.

Sport resembles life I keep telling my kids.

Football is life for some.

I just love Carlton. I feel the pain, but honestly believe its fixable. Just need the fixer.

I tell you what. I enjoyed watching Carlton vs Lions more knowing they lost before I watched, but the thrill of the kill...oh, the kill...how I long for that. Could've happened vs Freo but our players dont have enough shit in them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
It is a brilliant article - but our Board are in denial - and Mark Logudice’s eagerness for a smooth handover to someone who’s been on the Board for 8 years (no matter what his professional credentials are - and I acknowledge that they are impressive) - is not the way to go to get some meaningful change in our current malaise of mediocrity.

You're mixing off field with on field success Agro.

To win a Grand Final, all the ducks need to be in place.

I believe the off field stuff is in order and will get better.

I've learned a lot about our shortfalls after 6 rounds, and the people running the club would know more on what's needed.

Its up to them....or the ex Carlton high flying Corporate to fix the on field stuff.

Sounds a bit like the coup to overthrow the Richmond during the preseason in the year they won a Premiership.
It all looks worse when the team isn't winning on the field.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
AGRO wrote:

I've learned a lot about our shortfalls after 6 rounds, and the people running the club would know more on what's needed.

Its up to them....or the ex Carlton high flying Corporate to fix the on field stuff.

Sounds a bit like the coup to overthrow the Richmond during the preseason in the year they won a Premiership.

Our Board don’t have a clue about “on-field” - a good board should be able to govern over both “on-field” and “off-field”.

The Richmond coup were nuffies - our former Premiership Captain won’t be surrounded by nuffies.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Where was our former premiership captain when the club was drowning in debt?
Now we have 80,000 members, zero debt and the redevelopment in full swing, he wants to jump on board?
@#$%&! him

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

I didn't think it was a good article (thanks for sharing though!) because it started out with the premise of seeking parallels between politics and sport, but only really said "winning is all that matters", then abandoned the premise in favour of a long-winded fan whinge. A good whinge, I'll admit, but also one that doesn't look beneath the surface for signs we are doing things any differently as bondi alludes to.

All very easy to nod along to, we all share the frustration.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

Great ex he is the political correspondent on AFR so that’s why he drew the parallel early between politics and footy

Thought it was quite insightful and called out the spin and smokescreen that club uses when side does not go well and that device or devices infuriates the supporters continually and the Pollies use this technique all the time

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

I won’t be voting for anyone that is allowing us to rot at Marvel Stadium.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:23 am 
Craig Bradley

Surrey when was the last time we voted on directors oh yes that was when they invented a new rule that Carlton support AFL members were not members :banghead: :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
I didn't think it was a good article (thanks for sharing though!) because it started out with the premise of seeking parallels between politics and sport, but only really said "winning is all that matters", then abandoned the premise in favour of a long-winded fan whinge. A good whinge, I'll admit, but also one that doesn't look beneath the surface for signs we are doing things any differently as bondi alludes to.

All very easy to nod along to, we all share the frustration.

You're an intellect Great Ex. Of course you're going to see things logically regardless of which paper it was written in.

He's right about spin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Our Board don’t have a clue about “on-field” - a good board should be able to govern over both “on-field” and “off-field”.

The Richmond coup were nuffies - our former Premiership Captain won’t be surrounded by nuffies.

:wink:

I ask you Agro, not keogh, do you think Judd is a nuffie?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:50 am 
Craig Bradley

I know you’re not asking me, but yes.

Taking a seat on the board of a footy club is a selfless task, and that ain’t him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
I know you’re not asking me, but yes.

Taking a seat on the board of a footy club is a selfless task, and that ain’t him.

Fair enough. I'm glad you responded.

Not sure why you think this, other than suggesting he's not selfless.

Its his brain we are picking and he is highly admired and regarded by the other side.

Grass is always greener on the other side.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next