Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:50 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Been saying it for years ( like many things) to make weiters captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:14 pm 
Robert Walls

A lack of selection integrity (marking players harder than others, variation in opportunities given, variation in who receives consequences for poor performances, big name recruits given priority, regardless of form etc etc etc etc) breeds a toxic culture of fluctuating performance, standards-volunteerism and confusion...Buck stops with David Teague

A coaching group who have been incompetent at developing a game plan that mitigates multiple goals scored successively...Buck stops with David Teague

A coaching group who have admitted that pre-game motivation is not their strong suit; it's just about growth and learning...Buck stops with David Teague

A coach whose repeated public messaging borders on excruciating...David Teague

A coaching group whose defensive strategy has been ridiculed in many sections of the media...buck stops with David Teague

A team whose mental fragility is well known in football circles...buck stops with David Teague

We should have made the 8 last year and should have won 2 of Coll, WB and Syd, thereby having us in the 8...buck stops with David Teague

Our list is not perfect but it aint a shambles either. We can mix it with the big boys even with the injuries. Those aforementioned injuries are not the reason we lost to Cool, WB and Syd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:52 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Yes good summary.

Not good reading.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:23 am 
Rod Ashman

frank dardew wrote:
When I originally posted this I hoped that at some stage in the season before it was too late this team would take a stand -months later still waiting for it to and looks unlikely in 2021
Thought we were on the cusp of something last year although obviously with plenty to work on in the off season and the off season produced a stronger team in my view
Begs the question what happened over the off season and how did we end up having a team win 4 games out of the first 11 being effectively beaten the same way and have the same deficiencies as last season with no semblance of any idea how to rectify the deficiencies
Another false dawn for supporters

So instead of looking forward to the next 11 games with some confidence we are now as usual looking at the MSD the return of Charlie and what the trade and draft period will bring

Disappointing and we need surely some catalytic action at Carlton the narrative has been the same disappointing benign ineptitude for 20 years

Board management coaches and team all are mediocre and need to improve dramatically in attitude and in skill base as we will stay in this holding pattern for another 20 years
The Old Carlton had grunt were ferocious in their attitude to winning and being the best this version is supine weak and far too nice
The supporters and members are sick of benign they want tough

What happened in the off season?
In my view, the overall no.1 thing that happened was that we bought the hype. Mainly the players but also us the fans (who placed more weight on potential than on past performance).

And this is the same cultural problem that has plagued us for years. We think it’s just going to happen b/c “we’re Carlton”, and then we think we can coast after winning 2 games in a row, and even during games if we get the upper hand we take our foot off the pedal.

I think everything else flows from that.
I place most of the blame on the players but this is reflective of the broader club culture. V difficult for an individual coach to fix but I think a good team of coaches can have an impact over time (eg Mark Williams was the missing piece for the Demons plus their few years of bitter experience falling short; similar happened to Richmond prior to 2017 after bitter misses and a change in coaching personnel + Neil Balme).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/03/who-is-the-most-improved-player-in-the-afl-at-the-halfway-mark/

Finally, someone in the media has accepted the fact most of our forward line has been missing this year due to injury.

Quote:
McKay has always shown the ability to be a dominant key forward, but was held back by injuries across his first four seasons.

The former top 10 pick has put all the pieces together in 2021 and has done so despite Carlton missing almost its entire starting forward line for most of the year – Charlie Curnow, Mitch McGovern, Jack Martin, Zac Fisher and Jack Silvagni have all had injury issues.

Point is, its difficult to "Stand up" when you're injured.

Injury has had a huge impact on our year thus far.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:36 pm 
Serge Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/03/who-is-the-most-improved-player-in-the-afl-at-the-halfway-mark/

Finally, someone in the media has accepted the fact most of our forward line has been missing this year due to injury.

Quote:
McKay has always shown the ability to be a dominant key forward, but was held back by injuries across his first four seasons.

The former top 10 pick has put all the pieces together in 2021 and has done so despite Carlton missing almost its entire starting forward line for most of the year – Charlie Curnow, Mitch McGovern, Jack Martin, Zac Fisher and Jack Silvagni have all had injury issues.

Mate, you have blurred vision. Do you work for the club? Stop defending our inadequacy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BlueJean wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Quote:

Mate, you have blurred vision. Do you work for the club? Stop defending our inadequacy.

Just stating the only 'comforting' fact.

I have already mentioned my disappointment with"

* the lack of defensive pressure from our midfield group.
* the lack of defensive focus by coach
* the late reaction to opposition set ups
* the lack of fitness of our players to run for 4 quarters/ possiblt Russell's failure.
* the lack of a depth for Fwd/ Ruck, KPD depth
* the lack of development for our High Draft selections...all of them
* Playing injured or underdone players and expecting them to run 100% for 4 quarters
* allowing the players to put their hand up for selection even if injured
* continuing playing players who are out of form or not following instruction
* failing to stop the 5 goal run of goals from opposition........

BJ, you just haven't read those posts. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

I agree with Bondi.
I am also v disappointed with our performances.
It the same time, I think injuries have badly affected us. And disproportionately because our depth is not as strong as other clubs.
AND injuries at other clubs hasn’t been too kind either - we played Collingwood the one week they were at full strength and full intensity after copping a pasting in the media, Richmond are now nowhere near the team they were in round 1 etc.
We should still have won more than we have and just two more wins (Coll and the Bulldogs, for example) would change the entire outlook of the season.
So, yes, disappointed. But I don’t think we need to go back to square one or even throw out the coach.
We need to be cool, calculating and make some important decisions now and as the season progresses.
Plus, we need to drive improvement over the remainder of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Apart from injuries, as I have said elsewhere, Teague has one complete season under his belt. How many seasons did Hardwick have before 3 out of 4. Or the bastard. Or bomber.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Apart from injuries, as I have said elsewhere, Teague has one complete season under his belt. How many seasons did Hardwick have before 3 out of 4. Or the bastard. Or bomber.

Its 2 years this week Bolton was sacked.

We have improved in a lot of areas and not at all in the 5 goal run, and only fit enough to play 3/4.

Boyd was bought in to improve our kicking skills. Ready made role player, coz we can't seem to develop them.

Whish reminds me, get Honey in the team.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:05 am 
Craig Bradley

Great opportunity today to do it
Best balanced side for awhile
Surely today will be the day :yikes:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:20 am 
Ken Hunter

frank dardew wrote:
Great opportunity today to do it
Best balanced side for awhile
Surely today will be the day :yikes:

Absolutely Frank. We have an opposition on the canvas and our best side in for the year. Run, carry and class disposal on every line. Today surely!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:30 am 
Garry Crane

Strangely, if they win today, the blues are only 1 game out of the 8.

So I thought I would humour myself and run a ladder predictor for the rest of the season. If matches generally fall the way you would expect (famous last words) and with a bit of help from one or two teams (namely Swans), I get the blues making it to the finals IF we win at least one of the GWS matches and snag a win from either Port or Geelong (didnt say it was gonna be easy).

But it will rely heavily on the Swans holding firm for the rest of the season and beating each of their Essendon*, WCE and Giants games. Will therefore need to cheer cheer the red and the white and hope they shake down the thunder or however the f#@k the words go...

Unfortunately though, its much easier to predict * making it (here's hoping for a serious fade of form in their younger brigade in the second half)

Post subject: Lack of intensity
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:28 pm 
Bruce Comben

If there's one thing that sums up Carlton over the last 20 years it's intensity.
Where is the manic attack on the football,
Where is desperate desire to tackle the hips and not let go no matter what.
Where is the determination to sacrifice your body for your team-mate with a tough block or shepherd.
Yes there are some individual displays of bravery which we should rightly applaud, but as a team Week after week of half arsed effort that looks to me like the priority is self preservation and paycheck. Not good enough...don't know if it's a coaching issue a generational issue or simply lack of respect for the jumper and club...I feel sorry for the few that do put everything they have on the line..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:56 pm 
Craig Bradley

Of course not bloody weak
The player who was going to beat us was Ryan and danger of locking down on him
Has the coach got any idea
Pathetic about as bad as Collingwood loss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:57 pm 
Garry Crane

Ha! @#$%&! that...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

Never.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:02 pm 
Bob Chitty

Never. We are in a perpetual rebuild with no end in sight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think this year has reached new levels of disappointment. I've actually become so disillusioned by this team that I'm pretty much done. 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter today, I turned it off and started watching a movie. It was either that or I was going to throw something through the television. I'm done with it. This club is such a part of who I am but I simply can't be part of it any more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:40 am 
Harry Vallence

The_Cranium wrote:
I think this year has reached new levels of disappointment. I've actually become so disillusioned by this team that I'm pretty much done. 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter today, I turned it off and started watching a movie. It was either that or I was going to throw something through the television. I'm done with it. This club is such a part of who I am but I simply can't be part of it any more.

As me and my adult boys watched this guy , we were all shattered and mentally fatigued afterwards

One of my sons said to me , dad watching Carlton takes too much out of all us , destroys our moods and ruins the rest of day

I had no reply to that !!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next