Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

A few people have mentioned the "back 2 metres" thing. We need to be smarter about this. Teams like Richmond just ignore the umpire, pretending they can't hear. The umpire pleads but does nothing. We immediately do as we're told and the opponent gains distance and momentum. Learn the dark arts, give your defence a chance to set up. Stop being a doormat!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

azzablue wrote:
rhys87 wrote:
Thought Forgarty and Saad were good straight up.

Some tackling attempts from Murphy and Docherty cost us and lack of composure from Fisher and McKay up forward.

With Zac Williams in next week, nothing less than a win should be accepted.

Saad was brilliant and Fogarty , is absolute crap , Fogarty had no composure

SPS should be dropped immediately and Teague should announce it in his press conference and O’Brien should never ever , I mean ever play for us again !! Terrible

Sounds like a plan to build belief within the playing group.

Good work! :thumbsup:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:
A few people have mentioned the "back 2 metres" thing. We need to be smarter about this. Teams like Richmond just ignore the umpire, pretending they can't hear. The umpire pleads but does nothing. We immediately do as we're told and the opponent gains distance and momentum. Learn the dark arts, give your defence a chance to set up. Stop being a doormat!

We try what Richmond did and we will receive more 50 meter penalties then you would ever think is possible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

SurreyBlue wrote:
GreatEx wrote:

We try what Richmond did and we will receive more 50 meter penalties then you would ever think is possible.

We don't have to do exactly like Richmond, just "don't hear" the first couple of umpire pleas, then cup your ear and go "oh right, sorry mate". Just need to hold things up 2-3 seconds, enough to stop the opponent running through us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

Overall that result, and our effort, was about what I’d hoped for.
I’m disappointed though that the guys we most need to step up (Dow, O’Brien, Setterfield, Silvagni, SPS, Williamson) didn’t grab the game by the throat. I want a breakout game and none of them provided it. Setterfield & SPS in particular need to jump from 15-22 type players and become part of our best 10. Today doesn’t convince me that they can make that jump. Likewise, Dow, O’Brien & Williamson need to become regular best 22 players and they didn’t convince me they’re ready for that either.

It’s one game. Most of them will have another opportunity next week, but we need them to take the opportunity sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

We are not hard enough. Nothing else matters. If Teague doesn't address this issue we will never achieve anything. pretend tacklers, pretend chasers and weak as. How many times we were slammed into late and from behind and no retaliation, disgusting. Soft pricks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

It's funny how we all see it differently. Some thought Fog was no good. Some thought SPS was OK. Yet plenty thinking the opposite is true also.

One thing we can all agree on is Walsh was exceptional.

We can build on that performance but I'm so sick of losing to this mob. I think we all are, hence the obvious frustration.

Pros
Walsh
Saad
Oscar
Ed
The run and carry
Defence held up against an avalanche of inside 50s

Cons
Composure
Football IQ
1/3 of the best 22 unavailable
Strange selection of LOB and playing underdone Levi
Centre set up
Dusty

In the end Dusty makes them a 5 goal better team. As much as it hurts, he is close to the best I've ever seen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:05 pm 
Laurie Kerr

I’m tired of how poor we are at stoppages, especially centre bounces. It never looks like we have a plan and hitouts never seem to turn into clearances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:07 pm 
Ken Hands

redback wrote:
We are not hard enough. Nothing else matters. If Teague doesn't address this issue we will never achieve anything. pretend tacklers, pretend chasers and weak as. How many times we were slammed into late and from behind and no retaliation, disgusting. Soft pricks.

I agree, they play with an edge just like the hawks did a few years back. We are soft cocks! Weak pricks...I thought we retaliated once when Murphy was slammed for the 3rd or 4th time.

I was pleased to see the Doc get upset when he was harassed after a goal.

I actually think our players are scared ... we need more mongrel.

Get some mongrel you soft pricks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

peabody wrote:
I’m tired of how poor we are at stoppages, especially centre bounces. It never looks like we have a plan and hitouts never seem to turn into clearances.

Take it up with our stoppages coach.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 pm 
Banned

Team needs polish in skills, tackling, teamwork...

Those that are unable to provide it - don't play them. If they're 3-4 years on the list not much we can do if they dont take their opportunities.

I want to see hardness around the ball.....Williams, Martin and Stocker trio will provide that.

Some flair and nouse on the outside. Carroll will provide it...

Our forwards were below average today.... can't keep giving them chances if they're not putting pressure on the scoreboard.

In Betts, Stocker, Cunningham, Williams, Martin for mine

Leaving out Cunningham left a big hole in forward line as pressure was just not there... wtf is the match commitee thinking being overly creative.?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

Just home from the game..
So good to be back at the footy, forgot how much I missed it.
Luckily I was sitting in one of the few Carlton areas, which was in the very back of the top deck of the Ponsford stand.
Atmosphere was good, we just make too many silly mistakes and turn it over.
Walsh is a star.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:18 pm 
Bob Chitty

Think Teague has transformed us into a pretty good offensive team. Far from perfect but we can kick scores.
However, our pressure around the ball leaves a lot to be desired. When the ball hit the deck in our backline, our guys were hounded. At the other end, we did nothing of the like. Too much corralling and not enough physical pressure. Playing too many guys who don’t excel at pressure. I’m not sure where we’re goung to find these pressure players but until then we’ll always give teams a chance to score heavily against us.
The key is we must beat Collingwood. They’re not Richmond. They’re not close. IMO we should be the better team this year. But can we actually put the foot down and get the job done? History says no but let’s see. I’m hopeful

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

cecil89 wrote:
I’m disappointed though that the guys we most need to step up (Dow, O’Brien, Setterfield, Silvagni, SPS, Williamson) didn’t grab the game by the throat. I want a breakout game and none of them provided it. Setterfield & SPS in particular need to jump from 15-22 type players and become part of our best 10. Today doesn’t convince me that they can make that jump. Likewise, Dow, O’Brien & Williamson need to become regular best 22 players and they didn’t convince me they’re ready for that either.

It’s one game. Most of them will have another opportunity next week, but we need them to take the opportunity sooner rather than later.

Very rough on SoS and even some of the younger guys. I thought they tried hard but where overwhelmed in the end and where looking for our leaders to lead and show composure. Having said that, thank goodness we have Weitering and Walsh. Also you do realise SoS wasn’t playing in the 2nd half? I thought he was one of our better players offensively and defensively, before we lost him at half time.

What did you think of our leaders games in Jones, Murphy and Ed or our prized recruit in Saad (headless chook comes to mind) or our KP forwards, who still haven’t learnt to hold their ground and couldn’t hold a mark? Oscar showed them how it’s done....yes, Oscar McDonald.

We haven’t learnt much over summer and in fact our clearance work / ruckwork has gone backwards. All hail our clearance coach.....FMD.

I’m going to bed as it’s a long season but thankfully it’s only round 1 and the opposition was a little rusty and that allowed us to stay in the game until the last 5 minutes. I’m not confident we are moving forward. Hope I’m wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

I get some of the criticism. it's warranted. But we did play one of the best sides ever tonight, & we've got injuries.

Most of us thought we'd get absolutely pantsed...it was an Ok start to the season to me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:30 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

dane wrote:
Stranger wrote:
Doc is really becoming a liability down back
Kennedy should of played before Levi no impact what so ever
Williamson is no good should never be played again
Newnes only a depth player
LOB a long way of it
Need another key defender Jones makes to many mistakes especially when he is kicking
Gee would love to get another Sam Walsh he is our best player
:garthp:
Correct

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:37 pm 
Harry Vallence

ROUND 1 GAME 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
peabody wrote:

Take it up with our stoppages coach.

mr barker?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:

Very rough on SoS and even some of the younger guys. I thought they tried hard but where overwhelmed in the end and where looking for our leaders to lead and show composure. Having said that, thank goodness we have Weitering and Walsh. Also you do realise SoS wasn’t playing in the 2nd half? I thought he was one of our better players offensively and defensively, before we lost him at half time.

What did you think of our leaders games in Jones, Murphy and Ed or our prized recruit in Saad (headless chook comes to mind) or our KP forwards, who still haven’t learnt to hold their ground and couldn’t hold a mark? Oscar showed them how it’s done....yes, Oscar McDonald.

We haven’t learnt much over summer and in fact our clearance work / ruckwork has gone backwards. All hail our clearance coach.....FMD.

I’m going to bed as it’s a long season but thankfully it’s only round 1 and the opposition was a little rusty and that allowed us to stay in the game until the last 5 minutes. I’m not confident we are moving forward. Hope I’m wrong.

Sure, tough on SOS and perhaps lenient on McKay. I wanted one the above mentioned group to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. None of them did.
The reason I didn’t mention the leaders is because they’re not the group of players that will see us make a jump into the finals. They are what they are. It’s the younger group we should be getting a boost from.
Jones is prone to brain-farts. He was beaten tonight, but he’s still largely a good KPD, despite some heart-in-mouth moments.
Curnow? No strong feelings either way. Got a lot of the ball, works incredibly hard - both ways, but lacked polish and always has.
Murphy: good first half. Very good, in fact. Was our most polished player kicking it inside 50. Very quiet second half. Would want him to get more involved.
Saad: thought he was our next best after Walsh. Completely disagree with your feedback on his game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:46 pm 
John Nicholls

Just back from the game. Observations:

- Essendon** was right, Saad was absolutely worth our first rounder. Knows where to position, when to clamp down, when to peel off, awesome closing speed (that tackle!) and surprisingly quick hands in close too. A real beauty.
- Harry needs a brain cleanout. It's 100% mental.
- Walsh is a star which we all know. Running and disposal we all know but the change to his game this year is he's stronger through the core. He can absorb a hit, lean into a tackle and free his arms... it just gives him a smidge more time to release the ball effectively.
- Doc worries me. Unaccountable football for him at the moment which is not good from a captain.
- I was very wrong about LoB when I compared him to Isaac Smith. He wouldn't be fit to re-stud Smith's boots. Too many half steps, hates body contact.
- That period in the last where Tigers got a run-on. I expected it early in the third but we held it off for a quarter by playing an attacking style.
- Dunno if we were tired, but beginning of the 4th quarter we had no real movement out there... we went to possession footy. Dunno if that was coaching instruction, player fatigue or our boys simply going into their shells. You don't beat the Tigers playing keepings off. They know how to set up to squeeze the players near the ball and rape you on the rebound. Very impressive.
- When the ball pings out of a stoppage there's 3 very quick, very skilled Tigers players on the outside and they all *want* the football. Gotta lock the ball in there for dear life and set up a plan B defensive ring *outside* their own perimeter to limit their space. It's not the clearance that's damaging, it's their second possession.

Oh and Reiwoldt is a straight-up sook. This team makes him look good but aside from being a straight kick he's actually a very, very ordinary footballer. Our very own McGovern would kick Reiwoldt's 3-a-week if in that side.

Saw Williams and Eddie outside the ground after the match. Williams looked flat it must be said. He really did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next