Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:51 pm 
John Nicholls

(And @#$%&! it's good to see a game in the flesh again. It's fun on TV but just not the same. If you like to study the game, the patterns and the structures you just gotta get there. Sorely missed)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluedog wrote:
Murphy started well...

He was horrible. As was LOB.

Massive improvement with Williams and Martin in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:59 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

53 inside 50s to 17 in the second half.

That's fitness also.

Heat has to go on Russell at some stage

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kingkerna wrote:

That's fitness also.

:yikes: that's staggering. With those sort of numbers it's a miracle we were still in the game and indeed should have hit the front with 7 minutes to go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:52 am 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:
Setters needs to do more too. Off memory was poor early last season before working his way into it. Hopefully he does that again this season

Setters was great.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:21 am 
Harry Vallence

cecil89 wrote:
azzablue wrote:
rhys87 wrote:
Thought Forgarty and Saad were good straight up.

Some tackling attempts from Murphy and Docherty cost us and lack of composure from Fisher and McKay up forward.

With Zac Williams in next week, nothing less than a win should be accepted.

Saad was brilliant and Fogarty , is absolute crap , Fogarty had no composure

SPS should be dropped immediately and Teague should announce it in his press conference and O’Brien should never ever , I mean ever play for us again !! Terrible

I liked Fogarty’s game. Thought SPS was ok. Just ok, but certainly not as bad as you say.
O’Brien... yep, didn’t play well. Didn’t grab his opportunity. Wouldn’t completely put a line through him yet, but he’ll need to come back with some more confidence and get more involved or others will go past him real fast.

SPS got caught ball watching ,
At least 3 times , if saad didn’t run down Aarts, who sps man it was game over then !! And let’s not talk about all the rush kicks out of defence and the short steps in contest , terrible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:48 am 
Harry Vallence

Press conference was interesting.
Some praise for Walsh but maybe a slap, “part of a midfield that got beat”.

Pleased to see he wasn’t really happy.

Kinda sick of the sympathy we seem to get. I want to be hated

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I hate TC.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Disappointing performance.
I’m not going to point the finger at 2 or 3 of our players but on that performance a couple of our leaders shouldn’t be playing next week.
Our centre clearances .... nothing else to say. I think we won one. Smashed.
Our disposal and refusing to use the corridor is just laughable.
To finish it off - we gave up in time on and gifted them 3 goals. Not how you become a successful team.

Name them. I agree.

Tell me if you are thinking along these lines...

Docherty, totally out of form and its not ticking between the ears like it use to...and he wasn't tagged.

Murphy, we are carrying Murph. He's smart, kicks goals but cant apply pressure in the forwardline with tackles and chasing: Bettsy can.

Levi, should not have been selected when obviously not fit to play.

In a game of attrition, its no surprise the reigning Premiers ran the game our better in the end.

Not enough direction from leaders and the young ones were too scared to use the obvious targets in the corridor. Strange.

We would have won with DeKoning, Martin and Williams playing, and we missed Silvagni's pressure in the forwadline in the 2nd half.

I'm confident we can make the 8 after that performance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
One run of 13 shots at goal gave us 2.11. We missed too many. Dow could have put us in front with less then 5 min left. Composure in tight finishes still an issue

Great succinct post jim.

Hit nail on head.

THIS

We could've won this game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Effes wrote:
AFLstatsmate
@AFLstatsmate
·
1m
CBA's - Round 1 Game 1 - Carlton 30 - Marc Pittonet 26, Patrick Cripps 24, Sam Walsh 21, Ed Curnow 21, Paddy Dow 11, Zac Fisher 7, Will Setterfield 6 & Levi Casboult 4

Pretty obvious Cripps Walsh and Ed are the mainstay there, deservedly too. Not mush else after that really. Williams-Martin midfield waxing was missed, badly.

Setterfield should be in there more. Went missing early, again.

Dow isn't strong enough for the middle. Shai Bolton is skinnier but at least he uses his weapon speed; Dow doesn't.

Fisher was missing tonight. Dunno what to say other than its your job to win crumbs, kick goals and apply forward pressure: you didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:
azzablue wrote:
rhys87 wrote:
Thought Forgarty and Saad were good straight up.

Some tackling attempts from Murphy and Docherty cost us and lack of composure from Fisher and McKay up forward.

With Zac Williams in next week, nothing less than a win should be accepted.

Saad was brilliant and Fogarty , is absolute crap , Fogarty had no composure

SPS should be dropped immediately and Teague should announce it in his press conference and O’Brien should never ever , I mean ever play for us again !! Terrible

I liked Fogarty’s game. Thought SPS was ok. Just ok, but certainly not as bad as you say.
O’Brien... yep, didn’t play well. Didn’t grab his opportunity. Wouldn’t completely put a line through him yet, but he’ll need to come back with some more confidence and get more involved or others will go past him real fast.

I really don't think he will recover from thaT DROPPED MARK FOLLOWED BY THAT MISSED PASS, FOLLOWED BY A GOAL...TO THEM.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
A few people have mentioned the "back 2 metres" thing. We need to be smarter about this. Teams like Richmond just ignore the umpire, pretending they can't hear. The umpire pleads but does nothing. We immediately do as we're told and the opponent gains distance and momentum. Learn the dark arts, give your defence a chance to set up. Stop being a doormat!

Spot on Great ex.

Clarkson taught his players this...he won flags
Dimma obviously teaching the same art form...he wins flags

Stop being a doormat and stand for something that wins flags, not browny points from umpires, because those credits dont exist for Carlton from umpires.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:38 am 
Harry Vallence

Tigers are extremely good at pushing/tapping the ball on. They've taken the old Hawthorn ploy to a whole new level.

Also very good at executing the 'underground' (whatever you want to call it) handball. Used many times last night to advantage.

Yes, we had a few players who disappointed but my main concern is big Harry. This guy needs a bit of a reset especially if we're going to build a forward line around him.

Oh ... one more thing .... the ruckman situation. Pitto goes through stages where he get well beaten. TDK all going well is probably a year or 2 away. Needs investigating.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:40 am 
Bob Chitty

My biggest want for last night game was a 4 quarter effort.

I think we got 3 and 3/4 effort with the last few goals just because the players were spent.

Forger all the specific players doing or not doing something.

The difference between the two sides was composure. They where just that little bit cleaner in the critical moments.

That was the difference between the two sides, and let's not forget that this is a side that is the best side for the last few years (I think they will win it again this year)

We showed we can compete, and play like that we will win more than we lose.

Abite more composure from us, and a little less from them and its a different result.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
Overall that result, and our effort, was about what I’d hoped for.
I’m disappointed though that the guys we most need to step up (Dow, O’Brien, Setterfield, Silvagni, SPS, Williamson) didn’t grab the game by the throat. I want a breakout game and none of them provided it. Setterfield & SPS in particular need to jump from 15-22 type players and become part of our best 10. Today doesn’t convince me that they can make that jump. Likewise, Dow, O’Brien & Williamson need to become regular best 22 players and they didn’t convince me they’re ready for that either.

It’s one game. Most of them will have another opportunity next week, but we need them to take the opportunity sooner rather than later.

Very rough on SoS and even some of the younger guys. I thought they tried hard but where overwhelmed in the end and where looking for our leaders to lead and show composure. Having said that, thank goodness we have Weitering and Walsh. Also you do realise SoS wasn’t playing in the 2nd half? I thought he was one of our better players offensively and defensively, before we lost him at half time.

What did you think of our leaders games in Jones, Murphy and Ed or our prized recruit in Saad (headless chook comes to mind) or our KP forwards, who still haven’t learnt to hold their ground and couldn’t hold a mark? Oscar showed them how it’s done....yes, Oscar McDonald.

We haven’t learnt much over summer and in fact our clearance work / ruckwork has gone backwards. All hail our clearance coach.....FMD.

I’m going to bed as it’s a long season but thankfully it’s only round 1 and the opposition was a little rusty and that allowed us to stay in the game until the last 5 minutes. I’m not confident we are moving forward. Hope I’m wrong.

Gee I can tell you were getting tired and worked up there surrey.

The opposition wasn't rusty. They are the reigning Premiers...they grind away and take their opportunities...whilst we miss easy shots at goal to keep us in front or put us back there. Dow could've put us in front just before time on in the last. Momentum dariner. Kick it, and we are in front, up and about.

Saad was really good because he got out for clear disposals in those tight tough contested areas where other players couldn't. Star.

Without Ed we would be relying on the support staff in the middle....Dow, OBrien, Fisher, Murphy to win the little battles, and setters decided to get into the game in the 2nd half.

Though Gibbons looked more dangerous than those I just mentioned, and Newnes was as tough as nails.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
Just back from the game. Observations:

- Essendon*** was right, Saad was absolutely worth our first rounder. Knows where to position, when to clamp down, when to peel off, awesome closing speed (that tackle!) and surprisingly quick hands in close too. A real beauty.
- Harry needs a brain cleanout. It's 100% mental.
- Walsh is a star which we all know. Running and disposal we all know but the change to his game this year is he's stronger through the core. He can absorb a hit, lean into a tackle and free his arms... it just gives him a smidge more time to release the ball effectively.
- Doc worries me. Unaccountable football for him at the moment which is not good from a captain.
- I was very wrong about LoB when I compared him to Isaac Smith. He wouldn't be fit to re-stud Smith's boots. Too many half steps, hates body contact.
- That period in the last where Tigers got a run-on. I expected it early in the third but we held it off for a quarter by playing an attacking style.
- Dunno if we were tired, but beginning of the 4th quarter we had no real movement out there... we went to possession footy. Dunno if that was coaching instruction, player fatigue or our boys simply going into their shells. You don't beat the Tigers playing keepings off. They know how to set up to squeeze the players near the ball and rape you on the rebound. Very impressive.
- When the ball pings out of a stoppage there's 3 very quick, very skilled Tigers players on the outside and they all *want* the football. Gotta lock the ball in there for dear life and set up a plan B defensive ring *outside* their own perimeter to limit their space. It's not the clearance that's damaging, it's their second possession.

Oh and Reiwoldt is a straight-up sook. This team makes him look good but aside from being a straight kick he's actually a very, very ordinary footballer. Our very own McGovern would kick Reiwoldt's 3-a-week if in that side.

Saw Williams and Eddie outside the ground after the match. Williams looked flat it must be said. He really did.

Fantastic post

Fantastic to hear from someone at the game, looking on across the whole field.

Remember when Hird was coaching Effendrugs* and he put a ring around Judd, Stevens, Murphy to kill our outide run and we had nowhere to go. Effectively killing off our outside game. If Teague works out how, and has the leaders to control this... you know the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
(And @#$%&! it's good to see a game in the flesh again. It's fun on TV but just not the same. If you like to study the game, the patterns and the structures you just gotta get there. Sorely missed)

Absolutely.
The only way you can read a game properly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:

That's fitness also.

Ive been questioning the talk from Russell.

Tonight confirmed to me, there's a lot of talk coming out of carlton womens and mens team, and whilst Russell gives our club much needed Footballl Dept cred, his troups are not fit enough to run out these types of games ... unless all those misses for goals deflated us and we ....well, that's where the shrink comes into it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheBluesMuse wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Setters needs to do more too. Off memory was poor early last season before working his way into it. Hopefully he does that again this season

Setters was great.

...in the 3rd qaurter.

He had 5 disposals playing on the wing in the first half.
Its becoming a habit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next